Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2024 10:09:11 PM EDT
Wife’s dad is a hoarder and is in assisted living and we are clearing out his property. There is this boat that needs to go. Does anyone have an idea on what it is and know the value, if anything. Thanks

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:13:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vonbongo] [#1]
Early Reindl bat boat prototype?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:17:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kashtin] [#2]
1957 to 60 Redfish?

Made by Glastron I think.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
That thing is SO hideous it is awesome! Lol at the pully cable steering. Id paint that mammy jammy baby blue, tune up that old merc and ride out!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kashtin:
1957 to 60 Redfish?

Made by Glastron I think.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By HiFlow:
That thing is SO hideous it is awesome! Lol at the pully cable steering. Id paint that mammy jammy baby blue, tune up that old merc and ride out!
View Quote

We are in Arizona. Nowhere to let it loose even if I did get it running
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They are collectors items. A lot of people would restore that one. If it wasn't so far away I'd buy it and do it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]

They are collectors items. A lot of people would restore that one. If it wasn't so far away I'd buy it and do it.
View Quote

What do you think the value is? We might have the title
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

As is, no idea without an inspection. Restored 10k and up maybe. Saw one 99% restored with smaller outboard go for 15k.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Id imagine they would be by now. Hell I live in boater paradise and I havent seen one of those in the better of easily 20 to 30 years. They used to be EVERYWHERE and the last one I think I saw was sunken/abandoned, absolutely thrashed. OPs looks to be in relatively restorable condition. I have no clue on the value but Id venture to guess there is someone out there that would fix that thing up. If it were local and on the cheaper side I would absolutely fix it up, rock it for a summer or two, then flip it maaaaybe.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
$1500 with trailer? Too low too high? I know without seeing it is hard to tell. Wish we could keep it
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
$1500 with trailer? Too low too high? I know without seeing it is hard to tell. Wish we could keep it
View Quote

It will sell very fast for that. Find the title, clean it up and make sure the trailer is greased and has good tires. If that 65 horse turnes over you may want to go 2500.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HiFlow] [#12]
Dont sell yourself short OP.

Quick search found this site. dunno how active it is.

https://www.fiberglassics.com/glassifieds/1-boats/4874-1960-redfish-shark.html

https://www.fiberglassics.com/glassifieds/1-boats/4874-1960-redfish-shark.html

The listing on that one is 4500

Attachment Attached File

https://www.fiberglassics.com/glassifieds/1-boats/5137-herters-flying-fish-matching-b.html

The listing on that one is 34,599.00

Attachment Attached File

It may not be a glasstron NM, I see the redfish badging so its probably accurate to Kashtin's deduction. there were many manufacturers of that style boat. Id definitely do a little digging before I parted ways with it on the cheap. The VIN in your pic looks to be in good shape. that may give you more info to search from. You may be able to apply for a lost title too if you cannot locate the original.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

What?  There is great boating all over Arizona.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Can't say I've seen any with those lines.

Is there any market for old and rare boat restorations, or restomods, like there is for autos?
View Quote

I've seen old Chris Crafts go for over 40k.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Sell it to one of the YouTube boat restorers.  You'll get some entertainment out of it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Try taking the registration AZ5870B and the VIN to a local Dept of Wildlife ( if that is who does registrations ) and see if they can help with information.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FestusMcGee:
Try taking the registration AZ5870B and the VIN to a local Dept of Wildlife ( if that is who does registrations ) and see if they can help with information.
View Quote

Or take a look inside the boat for the registration. It had to be on the boat when in use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:16:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#19]
Old Glastron.  Chopped fiberglass over a wood core with by now is soggy sawdust.

Cut it up with a sawzall and throw it away, the trailer might bring you a couple hundred bucks on marketplace.

Everyone telling you to restore it has obviously never done a boat restoration.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#20]
View Quote

How rotten are its bones?

I bet you get 1500 no problem
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WildBoar:

If I remember that boat has a balsa wood core. Being in Arizona I'd bet there is not much rot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#22]
@midcap

@kb7dx

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
Can't say I've seen any with those lines.

Is there any market for old and rare boat restorations, or restomods, like there is for autos?
View Quote

Just one lake, but I've seen a ton of 70s and 80s outboard speed and ski boats, complete with restored wide-stripe multi-colored graphics lately. Not much freeboard on biggish water with a lot of traffic, but they're very cool and get lots of attention.

This kind of stuff...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:
Old Glastron.  Chopped fiberglass over a wood core with by now is soggy sawdust.

Cut it up with a sawzall and throw it away, the trailer might bring you a couple hundred bucks on marketplace.

View Quote

If there is any place for a boat with a wood core to survive, its here in AZ.. we live in a desiccant environment.  Stuff susceptible to water survives... exposed rubber and plastic are the only things that tend to die with time here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I am putting new/used tires on the trailer this weekend. If any of you want to come and get it, $1500 and it’s yours.

He may be a hoarder, but he has some decent stuff. Real old Celica GT, some old VW station wagons and found a random Glock 19 Gen 3 new in box.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:36:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By John-in-austin:

View Quote

This,take the first offer you get,IF you get one. I mean you just want it gone right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:39:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#27]
Originally Posted By StanleySpidowski:

This,take the first offer you get,IF you get one. I mean you just want it gone right?
View Quote

Yes, it is block the entrance. I have a farm, don’t have time for a boat, especially a project
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I have no insight to offer on that boats history. That said, the hull design and construction is so unusual that while I wouldn’t personally want one, it’s still pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By CouchCommando22:  We are in Arizona. Nowhere to let it loose even if I did get it running
View Quote
Lake Havasu and Lake Mead are fun for boats .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

No title and you will need to pay to dispose of it
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#32]
some old VW station wagons
View Quote
If air-cooled, thesamba.com is where you need to sell them. Southwest sourced VW's bring a premium due to lack of rust.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
That boat is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Suggest you give it away to save money.  

This from a guy that bought a 28 foot 1976 sailboat in 2003.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:59:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DJPodratz] [#35]
There is a website called Free Boats or something similar for just this purpose.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:03:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Throw it up on Facebook marketplace for $1500 and it'll be gone in no time.  The key is if you have title for the boat and trailer.  Both are nearly worthless without.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By GonnaNeedaBiggerBoat:
Throw it up on Facebook marketplace for $1500 and it'll be gone in no time.  The key is if you have title for the boat and trailer.  Both are nearly worthless without.
View Quote

This, it’s in pretty good shape for the age of it, motor is the thing that probably needs a lot of work
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By FestusMcGee:
View Quote

OP. I don't know if AZ is the same as Texas but that reg number can be looked up by ANYONE and know name , address etc.

I would delete all that if that's the case in AZ
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#40]
As you are clearing things out, remind yourself that not everything owned by a hoarder is certain to be junk.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Due to the age the trailer likely has no title. The only thing needed for registration is a weight slip.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I did some more looking, they really don't go for a lot, mostly because of the cost of restoration (I saw a $20K estimate) if the hull has real problems. But, damn...if that's been an Arizona boat it's entire life, you might end up the coolest MFer on the water for not much of an investment.

I'd spend the small dosh on a marine survey. You only get the chance to be this guy once.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:51:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John-in-austin] [#45]
Originally Posted By freeride21a:

If there is any place for a boat with a wood core to survive, its here in AZ.. we live in a desiccant environment.  Stuff susceptible to water survives... exposed rubber and plastic are the only things that tend to die with time here.
View Quote

That boat was nowhere new when parked. It could be it spent all it's running life in Michigan or Oregon, getting filled with rain on every third day.

You simply do not know the boat history and the only way to find out is to start drilling holes in it.

OP, take a small diameter bit in a hand drill.  starting at the transom, sink that bit at least 4" into the centerline of the floor about every foot or so. That will give you a look at the keel stringer.   Do the same to the outside of the transom on both sides of the motor and especially around the motor mounting bolts.

See if you pull up rotten wood.  Don't worry about the holes, one part of the restoration is going to be a grind and reapplication of the gelcoat anyway, you can seal them then.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Find a boat forum from the info listed here, someone might buy it.   Take what you can get.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Takes the same money as new boats.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#48]
The boat is trash and you might have to pay someone to take it. The motor you might get $500 for it if it runs and trailer you might get $250-$500.  List it all for $1,000 and be happy if you find someone to give you $500-$750 for all of it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:59:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Due to the age the trailer likely has no title. The only thing needed for registration is a weight slip.
View All Quotes

That depends on your state, but Maine is always an option for trailer registration...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#50]
https://www.thehulltruth.com/
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top