Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2024 3:35:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alevinson91]
Hello all!

First off, this is not a sales post, as I don’t know the rules about it, etc…

After taking quite a hiatus from drinking (didn’t have an alcohol problem, just didn’t really enjoy it), I decided to dip my toes back into the game.

I began with beer, etc.. and finally landed on bourbon/whiskey, and very much enjoyed that. I own a bar/restaurant in Atlanta and that has given me the opportunity to try some really cool stuff and make some relationships where I’ve been able to pick up some cool things.

Fast forward to now, and I think it’s time for the ol’ break again. I’ve got only a moderate level of self control, and think it would be best for me to just not have it at the house, and would like someone else to be able to enjoy it. Problem is, I have NO idea about the secondary spirits market and could use some help on where to find prices and where to sell, if they exist. I’ve done some research, but would rather a place where average people have the opportunity to purchase it. I’m not looking to get rich off of it, and I’m not really looking to way over-inflate prices, but don’t want to get taken either.

Some of the highlights:
-Boss Hog 8 & 9
-Blantons Single Barrel x3
-Blantons Gold Label & Special Reserve
-4 Different EH Taylor’s
-Stagg & George T Stagg
-About 1/4 Bottle EH Taylor Warehouse C Tornado Reserve
-Russel’s Reserve 13
-Larceny Barrel Strength
-Elijah Craig 18/Single Barrel, etc..
-Bunch of Japanese Stuff
-Lots of other fillers like Buffalo Trace, Sazerac Rye, etc…

I’ve probably got between 65-80 bottles or so, and would like to not have it at my house, let other people enjoy it, and not bend them over a barrel for it.

Any insight on a good place to look?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a good question as I'd assume you'd need a liquor license to "sell" it.
I'd bet it's through an auction house, who will obviously demand their fair share.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By User55645:
That's a good question as I'd assume you'd need a liquor license to "sell" it.
I'd bet it's through an auction house, who will obviously demand their fair share.
View Quote

Pretty much.

An acquaintance has a very old and very rare bottle of WL Weller.  It's worth somewhere between $6-$8k.

The only place to sell it was through an auction house.  I gave him the contact information and don't know if he followed up.  I do know that their share wasn't cheap.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 2:18:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
I don't know anywhere other than auction houses.

It would certainly not be worth it to speak of private sale options ANYWHERE online.  Much like the ATF watches arfcom, I'm quite certain their comrades in the Alcohol side of things also watch anywhere commonly frequented by drinkers and collectors.

It's a good question. I have a bottle that was worth maybe $150 ten years back, and have finally decided to make a nice gift out of it, for a friend who likes JD.   I don't have anybody who would want it, and it's just sitting here, but I ran into the same issues you are facing, OP.  

Not worth your liquor license and livelihood to do it any way other than correctly. (I don't think you were asking for anything illegal.  Just as I was typing, I realized you have a business that sells alcohol, and the ABC would like fining you or taking it from you I'm guessing).

View Quote

That was one of the thoughts I had (on another note, I’m eternally grateful to the atf from protecting us by not allowing us to sell things we own, I feel safer just thinking about it). I didn’t purchase any of it through the reataurant, per se, but it wouldn’t be worth it anyways. Funny enough, I can’t even legally sell it there due to liquor laws.

They may end up being nice gifts to the ones around me who deserve them 🤷🏻‍♂️
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: justsayin] [#6]
There are plenty of avenues on certain platforms to do this.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Please see tech forum tacked regarding trades or sales here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top