Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/17/2024 12:45:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPshooter1]
Hey all,

I need to buy several sets of wrenches, so I'm curious what GD's favorite combination and/or fixed open-end wrenches are.  Right now in my tool chest in the garage I have a Proto metric set that is open on one end and ratcheting box on the other, and I also have a Proto SAE set in a tool roll in one of my smaller portable toolboxes.  The SAE set has open ends on both sides to reduce the number of wrenches in the set.  Both sets from Proto have been good so far, but I would like to try out some new brands just for the hell of it.

I know for sure I'd like a metric set with open ends on both sides to go with the SAE set in the little toolbox, and I could use another SAE set to live in my tool chest, although I don't know what style to get for the tool chest... don't want ratcheting box this time.  Would also be nice to have one of those sets with the offset/different angle ends in both SAE and metric.

I prefer made in USA, Japan, or Germany (when on sale), but I can't lie.. all the talk about Harbor Freight and Icon hand tools around here has me curious if they are worth a shit.  I'm looking at buying at least 4 sets here, so it would be nice to keep the price down if possible.  Still though, the wrenches need to be dimensionally accurate, have good chrome finishes, and a proven reputation for being durable and a good value.

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:53:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like price will play a roll in this

I would check

Icon at harbor freight
Quinn at harbor freight
Tekton
Capri on amazon

Den of tools YouTube channel might help you research it.  He will do tests cross all the wrenches

Project farm YouTube channel does similar tests across tool brands
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:56:39 AM EDT
[#2]
My favorite combination is 38-12-23

I don't know about wrenches
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I always liked the feel of craftsman in my hand. They just have a good feel
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:03:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Omega-1] [#4]
I just bought a set of these.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches/open-end-wrenches/professional-sae-angled-open-end-wrench-set-7-piece-59214.html

I've always like these kind of wrenches. I have some from Snap-On that I used for my business because I only needed a couple of sizes and they were quite handy for getting into tight places. Should be a good companion to a set of combination wrenches, of which I have 3 sets of Craftsman raised panel.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Snap-On at work. Carry an older  set of  SK in my primary DD.
Auxilliary travel tool bag has TEKTON sockets, and  a variety of Craftsman, Proto, Wright combination wrenches.
Wife's DD tools has mostly Gear Wrench brand  sockets and end wrenches. Pliers in the  mobile tools sets are almost all Klein and Channellock.
Every vehicle has a tire plug KIT, 30 foot recovery/tow strap and a hack saw blade.
Winter months, we carry shovel,  tire chains, sleeping bags, and wool blankets of course.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the HF Icon stuff, but I have also had good results with Kobalt, Tekton and Gearwrench.

Old times USA Craftsman are good if you can find any at garage sales.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:40:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 94TBlazer] [#7]
made in USA = the best, but not cheap.  Lifetime purchase.  Does not leave the garage.  Handles the tough stuff & gets wiped down after the abuse it takes.
made in China = guaranteed to leave you disappointed at some point, cheap steel, don't feel bad when the 10mm wrench goes for a ride down the freeway never to be seen again.
Made in Taiwan = somewhere in between.

Pick what you want.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Wera has some nice wrenches.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:20:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Icon ratcheting metric wrenches...both stubby and full length
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I like Snap On and Matco.  I hate Mac wrenches, their edges are too thin and sharp.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#11]
MAC Knuckle Saver are my favorite
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Old SK
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I have old Craftsman up to an inch. Snap on metric up to 26mm and Harbor Freight set of big ones I rarely use.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#14]
The icon, Quinn, tekton, and capri are amazing.

Lifetime
Warranty, too
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple sets of Snap On I really like.  Also bought an 18 piece set of Wright metric last year and they are awesome as well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I have  a set of Snap On flank drive metric and standard wrenches. A Snap On set of 4 way wrenches. Got them all off of the tool section of Craigslist. You can still get some really good deals on tools off of Craigslist,  but you have to be fast on the draw.

The standard size wrenches are in my work tool box. The metrics are in my garage tool box.

The standard size wrenches at home are Gear Wrench and Craftsman
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Williams Superrench for my combos
Open end Spuds are Armstrong and Klein
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UncleRemis:
I always liked the feel of craftsman in my hand. They just have a good feel
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:55:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Snap On, they are made of good steel so the box end isn’t too bulky and the open end doesn’t spread under a load like lesser wrenches often seem to do…
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I like the Tekton set I have.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#21]
harbour freight icon.

just as gud.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:22:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kharn] [#22]
I really like the Craftsman ratcheting wrenches from almost 20 years ago, but you have to be careful as they don't have the reverse lever and you can get yourself into a sticky situation.

I have a second set with the reverse lever and flex heads from Tekton (I think?), but they're not as nice to use as the set without both features, as the heads are so much larger.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought SnapOn starting in 1978. My first had-to-have were the 4-way angle head open end. I've owned other brands, but preferred my Snap On. My daughter has them now and it's the envy of the shop.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:35:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By wingsnthings:
I bought SnapOn starting in 1978. My first had-to-have were the 4-way angle head open end. I've owned other brands, but preferred my Snap On. My daughter has them now and it's the envy of the shop.
View Quote
i just picked up the HF icon 4-ways in metric for $60 with a coupin.

who is your Dog now?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
Wera has some nice wrenches.
View Quote
Yes they do
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#26]
HF ratcheting combinations.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By usp4u:
View Quote

I have or use (in order of preference) SO, Mac (US Knuckle Saver ONLY), Stahlwille, Wright, Older US made Matco, Williams (US made vintage), various vintage US wrenches, Craftsman Professional (US made vintage), Craftsman raised panel (US made vintage).

Matco wrenches are now Taiwan and not worth the price.  
Mac Knuckle Saver wrenches are still US, but only the extra longs are the traditional thick square beams that I really like (and they are expensive).  Also, they are hawking Asian made wrenches now at a lower price point.  
SO is same as always, thin beam and expensive, but fit very tight, don't slip, don't really spread much, and hold up really well.  You can get them in normal or flank drive plus with the gripping open end.  
Craftsman has gone offshore and is pretty awful now.  They used to be super cheap on sale and easily replaceable at the local Sears, but that's long gone.  
Stahlwille wrenches are thin and meet DIN spec.  Their combination wrenches come in two configurations on the box end.  The 13 style is supposedly less strong than the 14 style, but they're both German made and are used by aircraft techs, etc. over there.  
Wright is the dark horse.  They are super strong with good chrome.  They fit well and come with something similar to SO flank drive plus (whether that's a positive or negative is up to you).  They are shorter than SO, Mac, etc., but are great wrenches.  If you search, there are a few places that have them at a pretty good discount.  They are proudly US made.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By styles:
Old SK
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:58:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I just bought these earlier this year.  I really like them.  I don't like is they are only available in metric.  You either have to import them or use one or two companies that are a dealer in the states.  They are 30% longer than a standard wrench.  They feel amazingly comfortable in the hand.  I really like the box end design.

USAG X grip combination wrench
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]
I personally like older American made wrenches the best.  I scour yard sales and swap meets for old snap-off, mac, craftsman, cornwell, etc and put my own sets together.  Same thing with screwdrivers, sockets, power tools, etc.

If you ever feel an old 80's snap-off or mac wrench, no other tool has as nice as a fit and finish and plating as them. They are just qual-uh-tee.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Circa 1989

Sears Division 9 craftsman wrenches that have a warranty that outlived Sears.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#32]
I really like the feel of Stahlwhille wrenches. Combo is my first choice.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:44:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#33]
Originally Posted By usp4u:
View Quote

The best for combination wrenches.

Honestly, priority number 1 is warranty now. Matco comes weekly, that’s alright. No Mac guy, SnapOn is here every 6 months, Husky tools just aren’t up to it,  Harbor Freight is across town.

Icon it is. I have tens on thousands of dollars in the big name tools, not playing their games any more.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:45:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: durtychemist] [#34]
Originally Posted By CPshooter1:
Hey all,

I need to buy several sets of wrenches, so I'm curious what GD's favorite combination and/or fixed open-end wrenches are.  Right now in my tool chest in the garage I have a Proto metric set that is open on one end and ratcheting box on the other, and I also have a Proto SAE set in a tool roll in one of my smaller portable toolboxes.  The SAE set has open ends on both sides to reduce the number of wrenches in the set.  Both sets from Proto have been good so far, but I would like to try out some new brands just for the hell of it.

I know for sure I'd like a metric set with open ends on both sides to go with the SAE set in the little toolbox, and I could use another SAE set to live in my tool chest, although I don't know what style to get for the tool chest... don't want ratcheting box this time.  Would also be nice to have one of those sets with the offset/different angle ends in both SAE and metric.

I prefer made in USA, Japan, or Germany (when on sale), but I can't lie.. all the talk about Harbor Freight and Icon hand tools around here has me curious if they are worth a shit.  I'm looking at buying at least 4 sets here, so it would be nice to keep the price down if possible.  Still though, the wrenches need to be dimensionally accurate, have good chrome finishes, and a proven reputation for being durable and a good value.

Thanks in advance!

View Quote

Milwaukee up to 1 inch.
Harbor freight icon.
Gear wrench.

I own all 3.  I use all 3.  I’ve not broken any of them.  All have sales.

Edit: I also have a set of Husky up to 18 or 19mm and 7/8 or 1” with Harbor Freight Pittsburg Jumbo wrench set up to 2”.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#35]
I like Wright tools a lot.

I have more old Craftsman than anything, mainly due to ease of availability, cost, swap meets, etc. I won't buy any new Craftsman since they are China made and warranty can be iffy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the replies all.  Lots to look at it seems.

Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

who is your Dog now?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

who is your Dog now?

Hook a brother up w/ dat coupin, Dog!  I just signed up for Harbor Freight emails yesterday... didn't see anything like that come through.

Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
I personally like older American made wrenches the best.  I scour yard sales and swap meets for old snap-off, mac, craftsman, cornwell, etc and put my own sets together.  Same thing with screwdrivers, sockets, power tools, etc.

If you ever feel an old 80's snap-off or mac wrench, no other tool has as nice as a fit and finish and plating as them. They are just qual-uh-tee.

I've been wanting to start old tool hunting every time I see a garage sale or estate sale sign, but then I'm always heading somewhere and have to tell myself, "Just don't even think about it..." lol.  I really should though because it would be super cool to find some nice old tools.  Even if I don't need them.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Most of mine are Craftsman that were made in the USA.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:46:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleman_556] [#40]
I have some really nice old Wrights that are a joy to use
(Bonus mention for the Wright 18" adjustable that's older than I am and awesomely smooth)

Also some older Proto, MAC, and Craftsman that are nice

Don't like the new MAC or Craftsman wrenches, but the larger Gearwrench (3/4" +) feel good in the hand. I also have some Rural King house brand (Crimson?) that feel like the old Craftsman wrenches

I have not handled the Icon wrenches yet but all my other Icon items are solid

Anything larger than 1 1/4 inch is Pittsburgh since I can warranty them easily, and I keep a set of the smaller Pittsburghs on hand so I can modify one when needed

Honestly for midrange tools I'm liking Gearwrench and Tekton more and more, and Icon punches well above its price point IMO
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bosifus:
I really like the feel of Stahlwhille wrenches. Combo is my first choice.
View Quote

Yep. Stahlwhille, Gedore, Hazet, and Wera for wrenches sockets. Wiha and Wera for bits and such. Knipex for pliers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CPshooter1:
Thanks for the replies all.  Lots to look at it seems.

Hook a brother up w/ dat coupin, Dog!  I just signed up for Harbor Freight emails yesterday... didn't see anything like that come through.

View Quote

I bought the ones I posted earlier, same wrenches, but with a 25% off coupon, it was for Inside Track Club members. Membership has already paid for itself in what I have saved so far.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:43:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hillcountry] [#43]
I’m surprised no one has mentioned “METRINCH” wrenches! I have had a set for 40 years and they have never failed me. My late dad bought us boys each a set and they are my go-to wrenches but my set is small. They are pricey but they are really nice. They work on both metric and standard hardware. Look them up!
I may buy a larger set now I’m thinking of it…
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#44]
I rock SK. I’ve got a few Matco and then cheaper sets strung around.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#46]
I despise double open ended wrenches.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:13:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerHammer] [#47]
I use Gearwrench 120XP for ratcheting combination wrenches and Crescent for non-ratcheting. I’ve been extremely satisfied with both.

I recently bought some roll-up pouch sets of new Craftsman combination wrenches to keep in the trucks and boats for emergency use. They are not nice tools and I would hate having to use them all the time, but they were cheap and they’ll do a mediocre job if I have to fix something away from home.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:54:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Made in the USA Williams Super combo wrenches are my go to sold my Snap on sets and pocketed the difference.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 2:13:04 AM EDT
[#49]
If you're not a professional making a living with these tools, and aren't making money hand over fist, buying tool truck brands especially Snap-On is more than probably a fools errand.

I would avoid Harbor Freight Icon simply because they are made in the same factories as Tekton and Tekton is cheaper and their warranty is excellent, plus, you can warranty individual pieces. With the HF Icon, since they don't sell single wrenches, you'd have to take your whole set in and get it replaced. Sure, they warranty it, but that's stupid.

You'll pay a pretty penny for the German brands, even when on sale. While you'll get what you pay for, the juice may not be worth the squeeze just like the USA tool truck brands, unless you're a professional. Also note, the Germans don't have lifetime warranties like the US brands. Replacing something under warranty would be a pain with them, as nice as their stuff is.

Personally, I'd go with Tekton in this situation.

I wish PB Swiss would make wrenches. No way I could logically justify a metric and SAE set from them if they made them, but I'd buy them anyway.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:53:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Cat wrenches for me.

Made by Williams (a division of Snap On).

Of course I get a discount through work. But they are reasonably priced without the discount.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top