Site Notices
What round for racoon? (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:12:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: garr] [#1]
Double post!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Only if it’s a smaller raccoon, then yeah, a suppressed .22lr.  But on the larger, heavy ‘coons, I’ve found that too many times they just run off even with a solid hit.

Lately I’ve been killing them DRT at night with my suppressed 5.56 coyote AR that’s topped with a thermal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:17:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: arowneragain] [#3]
I have never found a raccoon, of any size, that could survive a solid hit in the liver/lungs/heart from literally any .22lr - whether standard velocity or supersonic. Solid or hollowpoint.

Same with brain shots.

I have killed, uh, a lot of them, over the years.

*shrugs*

ETA: same goes for opossums and armadillos.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JRJ:
A gamo .177 works just fine.
View Quote

Yep, don't overthink it.   I use a .22 gamo.  It does the job.   Head or lungs, they usually go down immediately.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#5]
We had a sick one walk up out of the pasture and into our yard one time. I did a mag dump, right into the red-X shown above, with a S&W M&P .22, 10 FRIGGIN ROUNDS RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES, The racoon started doing the Electric Boogaloo dance, body spasms like it was plugged into a light socket before it finally quit shaking

I never saw anything go down that hard before. I was looking around for a wooden stake and some holy water after seeing that
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sandbowl1980:
Shot a rabid raccoon once. It took 3 9mm rds hp to kill that thing. Yet I've shot non infected raccoons with a .22 in a well placed shot and it drt. Rabid animals must be harder to kill. Kinda like a zombie 🧟‍♂️ I know one thing though they can be viscous
View Quote

vis·cous
/ˈviskəs/
adjective
having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity

I think when they're rabid they do have a thick goo between there skull and brain. Probably why harder to kill. The thick fluid expands the bullet before it can reach brain matter.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Like much of GD, she is a terrible shot.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By whiplash11:
Golden marlin and grape soda is the answer to rid raccoon. Just be prepared to get rid of several at a time.
View Quote

Several violations rolled into one if going this route, and if doing this please dispose of them in a way that nothing can find and eat the carcasses.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#9]
12 gauge

sticks them trash pandas right to the dirt without any squirming or writhing
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#10]
My FIL used to fight coons getting in his attic. He recommended 22 short in the attic and 30-30 in the yard. He hated coons. Makes me smile thinking of it. RIP Pawpaw
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Would be my Ruger 22LR all day if I had to thin them out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JRJ:
A gamo .177 works just fine.
View Quote

A Gamo .177 worked for me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#14]
A .22LR to the head does the job.  Although it does make a mess because they flip and thrash involuntarily and spray blood everywere.  A friend uses lung shots and says that they're dead in less than a minute and there's no blood.  The headshot seems more humane to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#15]
most of the coons  I shoot are along roadsides while out pheasant or duck hunting/scouting.  12 gauge, 3" 4 or 5 lead or 3" 2 steel.  Takes care of them no prob.
Shot one sunday night after loading my boat up at a public access.  G43, 124 gr HST from about 20 feet, 2 shots.  Looked like a water balloon full of jelly exploded on the from the exit wounds.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:09:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: anesvick] [#16]
The critter killer is used for anything from squirrels to feral dogs, It has 12 gauge 3" BBB shot tungsten shells in it, 18 inch barrel, modified choke.  Anything smaller than a coyote tends to just kinda come apart.

It would take a lot for me to shoot a raccoon though, ours are pretty cool and I feed them occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#17]
#4 lead shot from a 20 gauge works good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By anesvick:
The critter killer is used for anything from squirrels to feral dogs, It has 12 gauge 3" BBB shot tungsten shells in it, 18 inch barrel, modified choke.  Anything smaller than a coyote tends to just kinda come apart.

It would take a lot for me to shoot a raccoon though, ours are pretty cool and I feed them occasionally.
View Quote

Please tell me you have critter killer painted on the side of the barrel
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By anesvick:

View Quote

I like this approach.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Grandpa ran a trap line for years….more than once went into his tool shed and found a dead raccoon or two with a .22LR directly between their eyes from the Pre-Woodsman he carried for that purpose.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By tveddy:

Please tell me you have critter killer painted on the side of the barrel
View Quote
Hmmm, no but I can fix that when I get some time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By shack357:

Several violations rolled into one if going this route, and if doing this please dispose of them in a way that nothing can find and eat the carcasses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shack357:
Originally Posted By whiplash11:
Golden marlin and grape soda is the answer to rid raccoon. Just be prepared to get rid of several at a time.

I thought he meant a Marlin Golden 39A rifle.  I never heard of Golden Malrin poison.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:

Also works on Bobcats.

https://i.postimg.cc/PJkmzGxw/Bobcat_(1).jpg

View Quote

Sure you used enough dynamite there, Butch?

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ohio:

I thought he meant a Marlin Golden 39A rifle.  I never heard of Golden Malrin poison.
View Quote

It's marketed as a fly bait, for killing flies.

It's very effective on pretty much anything else you can get to eat it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:07:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 67Firebird] [#26]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

View Quote

Looked it up, seems like a bad idea for raccoons.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#28]
They're tough as shit.

I have shot several with .22 and it's not really adequate.

I use a suppressed 300 BO with 245gr cast, a .223 or a 9mm with self defense loads now.

Even fmj 9mm doesn't always kill them quickly
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:28:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Had one with distemper in the yard, a few stingers to the body did a great job. Probably overkill but we have lots of other critters around, so I bleached the area and double bagged the body and buried it deep.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Razorcore 77 grain. He wasn't rabid. Just kept getting into my chicken coop. Never hurt any of the hens and I didn't really want to shoot him, but I didn't want to keep chancing it.

I always try to be as quick and humane as possible. When it's time to kill, overkill.

Did the same thing with a sick chicken earlier this week. A 22 to the head would have done the trick, but I'd have felt bad if I missed the brain by any amount...So I used a 12 gauge with turkey shot and blew her head off.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Looked it up, seems like a bad idea for raccoons.
View Quote

Well, it’s not Temik.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Very deadly stuff. If your dog or kid gets into it, they're gone before you know there's a problem.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:
I shot one at 3am with my suppressed 22LR.
View Quote

5am with a suppressed BREN 2Ms using Winchester USA3162W ammo. Shot it in the neck, about 35 pounds so decent size coon.

It thrashed around in the same spot kicking up dirt for several seconds. Left a nasty wound. Tried to kill its mate but they got away
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By alacop:
I use 5.56 on most everything 4 or 2 legged.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
This youtube comment!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
This youtube comment!

She accidentally loaded her gun with Alec Baldwin's missing blanks.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#38]
.17!  Both HMR and WSM, kills really well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:
I shot one at 3am with my suppressed 22LR.
View Quote

I defend my chicken coop with 22 shorts from a Henry lever gun.

They work fantasticly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I've used 12ga birdshot, 9mm, 300BO, 5.56, and .22lr all with great success.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Depends on where I need to shoot them.

If theres a problem shooting them with a firearm my bow with a small game head leaves them DRT.

Otherwise my .22LR or shotgun will do the trick.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Love how the camera guy is just standing there while the coon flops around between the lady and himself.  Next round might have been a nasty bounce.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Anything that can run up a tree, like a raccoon, a squirrel or Siberian tiger, is going to need extra killing power for it's comparative size.

I used to coon hunt with my uncle years ago. A clean shot with a scoped .22 drops them with a  brain hit, but I've seen boars tie up with large hounds. Incredibly tough animals for their weight.  If they weighed 50lbs, they'd be off a mountain lion's menu.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Generally critters the size of coons I'll just use whatever is readily available. It doesn't need to cost much to dispatch them. I took out 2 groundhogs once with a suppressed .22 and they did hobble a few steps before laying over. Last groundhog I took out I shot with my suppressed 11.5" at 30yds with 62gr green tip. Pin hole on the one side and a fist sized wound on the other that looked like fresh ground hamburger.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Aguila 60 grain .22 super snipers hit real hard at close range. Never had one to not kill with one shot.  

Now I use subs with a suppressor.  Wish I could use the 60 gr SS with the suppressor, but I read a lot about baffle strikes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#47]
So I shot a big boar coon this morning.

Trapping season runs year-round here now and we have multiple hen turkeys nesting on our farm and I saw a coon on a trail camera picture here the other day. He couldn't resist a slice of mackerel in a dogproof trap.

Cheap .22lr solid to the head - he was instantly incapacitated and dead within seconds. My current box of subsonic hollowpoints was empty and I just grabbed a few rounds of my plinking ammo to check traps this morning. Head-shot coons don't know the difference.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I shot one once with a .22 cal pellet rifle the day before leaving on a cruise. I hit him in the neck and caught his jugular vein because I saw blood shooting out. But he ran off into the mangroves. Anyways we get back from cruise a week later pulled under house (stilt house) and when I opened the door the stench hit me. I was like wtf.

Damn raccoon crawled under my dock and died. Took me a few days to locate him. I had to get into water and crawl up under the dock and using a gaft dragged him out and buried it in the yard. I did think about putting it in my brother in laws fire pit to screw with him.

He'd burn crap like plastic and rubber in it and smoke the entire neighborhood to the point you couldn't sit outside and had to close windows. He'd claim it was a cooking fire. Finally told him I'd come visit him while on duty and write him a fine. Told neighbors to call in illegal burn. He was a dick. He died several years ago of brain cancer. Probably from breathing all that caustic crap in his burn pit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I once shot a raccoon 7 times in the head with a 22 and the sucker ran away.   Shot from 7-8 feet away.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Have-a-heart trap, raccoon mama with a belly full of trash pandas stuck in the trap. CCI Quiet out of a suppressed 22/45 at maybe 5-6” distance to the head. Game over.
Page / 3
What round for racoon? (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top