Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/11/2024 11:32:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BURN]
Plus, other interpretations of things in the self-defense world.

"If you pull/draw a gun you'd better be prepared to use it"

Why do some people think that just because you draw a gun you had better pull the trigger or there was no real reason to draw the gun?

Rather than just being able to pull the trigger if you need to.

Forgetting that in some circumstances drawing the gun may be enough.

For example.

A person coming at you with a knife... you draw your handgun...they drop the knife and run away.... no need to shoot.

And on a second note why do people think just holding a gun without a threatening action along with it is "Brandishing"

brandish
1 of 2
verb
bran·?dish 'bran-dish
brandished; brandishing; brandishes
Synonyms of brandish
transitive verb

: to shake or wave (something, such as a weapon) menacingly
brandished a knife at them
: to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner
brandishing her intellect
brandish

2 of 2
noun
: an act or instance of waving something menacingly or exhibiting something ostentatiously or aggressively : an act or instance of brandishing
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll take "People are retards" for $500, Alex.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:35:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#2]
Firearms are a tool of last resort. If the situation has degraded to that level, you better be ready for the ride.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Never assume that pulling the gun will make the bad guy run away. If you’re only planning to threaten but unwilling to actually pull the trigger, then don’t draw.

And never pull your pistol just because someone’s pissed you off. They better be a legitimate threat.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:37:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fssf158] [#4]
To me it means you should not count on the mere presentation of a gun to end the confrontation.  If it does and you don’t have to shoot, great, but be prepared for the attack to continue and even escalate until you stop the threat with bullets.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#5]
"be prepared to shoot" doesn't mean you have to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beleg:
Never assume that pulling the gun will make the bad guy run away. If you’re only planning to threaten but unwilling to actually pull the trigger, then don’t draw.

And never pull your pistol just because someone’s pissed you off. They better be a legitimate threat.
View Quote

No disagrement

But people on this site say that if you draw a gun and don't pull the trigger "the threat wasn't real enough" to draw the gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fssf158:
To me it means you should not count on the mere presentation of a gun to end the confrontation.  If it does and you don’t have to shoot, great, but be prepared for the attack to continue and even escalate until you stop the threat with bullets.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:40:25 AM EDT
[#8]
It doesn't mean you have too. It means you better be prepared too.
Although, let's step back, if you carry own a gun you better be prepared to use it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I think it means a cop is scrambling to justify murder? Idk
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#10]
To me it means don't treat it as a guarantee that the threat alone will be a sufficient deterrent. Training and practice is the "prepared" part, which needs to happen beforehand.

Basically, shit isn't a talisman.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:41:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TEXASROOTERSBROTHER] [#11]
If you are not prepared to use it the weapon will be taken and used on you.
Of course you don’t have to use it but if the threat advances you must use it.

It is wise to watch your mouth too.
It is not good to talk shit.  If you need to do something no matter how stupid it might be do not announce it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#12]
To me it means if you are faced with a determined assailant and you chicken out, they will take it from you and shoot you with it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#13]
A lot of folks know little about guns much less carrying guns. The same folks who talk about filing firing pins or "illegal spring holsters"

If you carry a gun you should be prepared to responsibly use it. Don't wave it like a retard.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#14]
"If you think you might need your gun, you're a damn fool to have in anywhere but in your hand."  

I think it was the good Col. Cooper said something like that.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I honestly don't want to kill anybody if I don't have to.

I will if I need to, especially when it comes to protecting
my kids or other children.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BURN:

No disagrement

But people on this site say that if you draw a gun and don't pull the trigger "the threat wasn't real enough" to draw the gun.
View Quote

Those guys are Shoguns.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Prepared to use it, is not the same thing as having to use it.
It simply means, don't draw a gun and expect just the sight of it to stop someone. If you feel, for whatever reason, you couldn't pull the trigger, then don't carry a gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By joker581:

I love this site but I have reason to believe that some of the people here might not be the best and brightest that society has to offer.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

This
You need to be willing to use it, it doesn't mean the situation can't change where you don't need to.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:47:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magoo6541] [#21]
To me it means you should not count on the mere presentation of a gun to end the confrontation.  If it does and you don't have to shoot, great, but be prepared for the attack to continue and even escalate until you stop the threat with bullets.
View Quote
This..

To me, it just means that when you decide to draw your firearm, you have the intention of using it. If things change in the time it takes to draw the firearm and it's no longer a necessity, it doesn't mean that you've committed yourself to shooting no matter what.

As far as the brandishing the firearm, I don't recall specifically the video but Massad Ayoob had a video where he talked about this topic. He was aware of a few cases where a person was charged and convicted with brandishing for simply raising or removing their concealment to show the firearm. He didn't get into the cases specifically so I imagine there is probably more to the story. Maybe that person was instigating or something else to get the charge.

ETA: I don't have the time but I've told my self defense story on here a few times. I have drawn and presented my firearm and that alone stopped the other party. I was well within the law had I decided to pull the trigger. I called the cops afterward, told my story and was never charged with anything.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:47:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Why do some people think that just because you draw a gun you had better pull the trigger or there was no real reason to draw the gun?

For example.

A person coming at you with a knife... you draw your handgun...they drop the knife and run away.... no need to shoot.

And on a second note why do people think just holding a gun without a threatening action along with it is "Brandishing"

brandish
1 of 2
verb
bran ?dish 'bran-dish
Synonyms of brandish
transitive verb

brandish

2 of 2
noun
: an act or instance of waving something menacingly or exhibiting something ostentatiously or aggressively : an act or instance of brandishing
View Quote

View Quote

Some states have passed "defensive display" laws, and really the gun rights orgs need to be pushing this as well.  This is to protect people from brandishing charges when they display a gun to deter an attacker.

Yes, you need to be prepared to use it.  But if showing it to a potential assailant changes their mind about attacking, that's way, way better than having to shoot someone, for everyone involved.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Growing up my mom was pretty anti gun. A few years ago I had a nephew with drug issues and she wanted to get a gun for protection from him. I asked her if she would be willing to shoot him if she had to. Her answer was “No.”. I told her she shouldn’t get a gun because if he was on drugs and out of his mind he could see a gun, take it from her and the situation would be worse. She wanted it as a shield. Drawing a gun potentially escalates the situation. She ended up not getting a gun. She wasn’t prepared to use it.

The phrase is a good one.  Just like the phrase … treat all guns like they’re loaded.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#24]
My personal philosophy is the first time you will know I am armed is when you see my muzzle flash. You pull a knife on me I am not going to flap my lips making idle threats. You have demonstrated to me your intent to kill me or one of my loved ones.  At that point I have no duty of care towards you.

My advice is don’t fuck with old people.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I look at it as ‘there are behavioral lines there that have to be crossed before I’ll pull a gun. And, there is a line beyond that where I’ll pull the trigger.’

I’ll go way out of my way to avoid confrontation let alone actually getting to the point where I have to pull a gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Rezneck:
"be prepared to shoot" doesn't mean you have to shoot.
View Quote

This.

Really confused by the OP, it contradicts itself.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:52:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_314] [#27]

View Quote
That's not what it means.

It means if a situation gets to the point where deadly force in justified, if you don't have the guts to use it, and the bad guy senses that, that drawn gun isn't going to stop him.

If the sight of a drawn gun doesn't stop the miscreant, you'd better send some lead downrange or you've lost.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:53:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#28]

I love this site but I have reason to believe that some of the people here might not be the best and brightest that society has to offer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah. I mean, I've never seen that sentiment, but maybe it's tied to the quick draw McGraw obsession some people have here.

Could also maybe apply to a concealed carry in some cases where you lose a huge tactical advantage my introducing a weapon. Then again, that is often enough. And, you would still want to be "prepared" to use it, not always use it.

So, yeah, cornfused.

This place does that to me so often I just hang on for the ride.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Palm:
My personal philosophy is the first time you will know I am armed is when you see my muzzle flash. You pull a knife on me I am not going to flap my lips making idle threats. You have demonstrated to me your intent to kill me or one of my loved ones.  At that point I have no duty of care towards you.

My advice is don’t fuck with old people.
View Quote

but as you draw they drop the knife are you still going to shoot them.

That is the core question.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

This.

View Quote

Because some people (not me) think that it means

"If you pull a gun you'd better shoot it"
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#31]

but as you draw they drop the knife are you still going to shoot them.

That is the core question.

View Quote
Honestly that's a dumb question.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Just pulling a gun isn't an automatic "Get out of trouble" card. Bad guy can attack and take your gun if you lack the will to use it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#33]

No disagrement

View Quote
Is this your first day here?  People here are dumb.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#34]

No disagrement

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beleg:

No disagrement

IMO this isn't Arrakis and your firearm isn't a crysknife that once pulled can't be holstered until it's drawn blood.

I'm sure I'll take some flak for this opinion, but if you sincerely believe a fight is coming get on the gun early. Hell, get your friends on theirs. I'm not saying display it or point it toward the threat, but if you can draw discretely, or at least get a good grip, in a way that is unlikely to escalate the situation go ahead and do it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:
Honestly that's a dumb question.
View Quote

No it's not, he said they only time they know he has a gun is when he shoots them

So, either he is superhuman fast or he'll shoot regardless of their actions in response for him drawing a gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

This.

Some people are retarded.

But, "you'd better shoot it" and "you'd better be prepared to shoot it" are two very different sentiments.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#37]

For example.

brandish
1 of 2
verb
bran·?dish 'bran-dish
Synonyms of brandish
transitive verb

brandish

2 of 2
noun
View Quote
View Quote

Sig Sauer Academy teaches to constantly re-evaluate the situation.  Like you said, as you draw, the attacker may immediately change their actions to where you don’t have to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:17:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nickel_Plated] [#38]
It means don't be the stereotypical chick in a horror movie who finds a gun, the psycho killer is closing in, points the gun right at him, he's getting closer, she frantically cocks the hammer to show him she means business, he keeps coming, she's losing her shit at this point, he's at point blank range, he simply grabs the gun out of her hands and slashes her throat.

Don't do that.

Some people carry a gun like it's a magical protection charm, but they don't really have the mentality to pull the trigger on someone.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#39]
FAFO
Or as my dear father used to say,
"don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash"
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Yep the one that justify killing innocent people ain't too bright.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:

This
You need to be willing to use it, it doesn't mean the situation can't change where you don't need to.
View Quote

Or it can change in the blink of an eye that you better use it or your a dead man like a certain Florida man.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#43]
You draw a gun when you have to eliminate a threat as fast as possible. No other reason to do so. Fucking none.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#44]
The concealed weapon doesn’t become unconcealed unless it’s time to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:
You draw a gun when you have to eliminate a threat as fast as possible. No other reason to do so. Fucking none.
View Quote

Well, we clearly can't accuse the OP of just imagining this.

We can still have the same opinion of those who espouse it, however.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#46]

No disagrement

View Quote

Well...a lot of people on this site are dumbfucks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
The concealed weapon doesn’t become unconcealed unless it’s time to pull the trigger.
View Quote

Situations can become fluid.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#48]
That's not what it means, that's why.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#49]

For example.

brandish
1 of 2
verb
bran·?dish 'bran-dish
Synonyms of brandish
transitive verb

brandish

2 of 2
noun
View Quote
View Quote

Ignorance. Probably people hear the first statement, which is true you should be prepared mentally and competence wise. And they extrapolate the second retarded notion out of ignorance.

Some FoF training dispels that notion right quick. If you dont draw until you know you have to shoot you'll be behind the curve.

If you shoot just because you drew and thought you had to, but the situation changed before you pulled the trigger, you could see prison.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
View Quote

Good way to lose.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top