Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/8/2024 3:40:04 PM EDT
I'm not very familiar with the company, but they seem to have a good reputation for quality, most of their models seem to have fairly clean designs, their gas system seems to be well executed, and their pricing doesn't seem to be unreasonable.

But, I've never handled, owned, or shot any of their guns.

What kind of experiences have you guys had with these?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:01:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BladedRonin] [#1]
I have a PWS x39 upper that I use.  I like it.  Dont have (unfortunately) a full rifle, but I have 100% confidence in that upper.

I reaaaallly want their 308 rifle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vne] [#2]
Love both of mine. They're basically identical. One in 300BO, the other 5.56.

Eta: forgot to point out I only bought the uppers as I prefer Radian lowers. But they’ve been flawless. Great combo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shifty_One] [#3]
I have one that I like, very well made.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:12:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been running PWS MK1s since 2011 at least once a week and used to run them 3-4 times a week.

They are not like most piston ARs which are muzzle heavy because the PWS piston design is very different, much lighter and neutrally balanced so they feel and weigh more like a DI AR

I generally clean them every 6 months but have gone a year without cleaning, just forget as it does not need much upkeep. This encourages more training over a DI IMO at least for me

For a while a friend would shoot mine want to buy it and I would sell it to them and buy a new one. So I was upgrading for almost nothing.
I am down to 3 but generally only shoot my primary trainer a MK114 Mod 1 with a MK116 Mod2 upper on a Mod 1 lower as my SHTF reserve. They other just sits and is unfired.
I do have DI guns and really like them but when you can shoot then just put a PWS in the safe with no cleaning it is really hard to want to bother with a DI, IMO
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought an PWS upper many years ago (It's a quad rail) to run with a suppressor because convinced my how wonderful piston guns were.
Unfortunately at that time, I did not know anyone with a suppressor or a piston gun to stop me.

I learned my lesson. Avoid pistons, stick with uppers that use standard BCG's, barrels, and gas blocks.

At least with my other bad gun purchases, I could get most of my money out of it.

Between heavy buffers and modifying their system to bleed off the excessive gas I did eventually get it where it was bearable to shoot. Then it was only heavy and inaccurate!

YMMV, Maybe they are better now.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Love mine. Waiting for the UXR release.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Phineas7:
I bought an PWS upper many years ago (It's a quad rail) to run with a suppressor because convinced my how wonderful piston guns were.
Unfortunately at that time, I did not know anyone with a suppressor or a piston gun to stop me.

I learned my lesson. Avoid pistons, stick with uppers that use standard BCG's, barrels, and gas blocks.

At least with my other bad gun purchases, I could get most of my money out of it.

Between heavy buffers and modifying their system to bleed off the excessive gas I did eventually get it where it was bearable to shoot. Then it was only heavy and inaccurate!

View Quote

Interesting.

This seems to contradict most of what I see about these guns elsewhere. The piston system is said to reduce ejection port noise, reduce gas to the shooter's face, and keep the gun cleaner, and a lot of guys say the adjustable gas system is good for a variety of conditions.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DriftPunch] [#8]
Isn't that the loudener at the end of a stock SCAR 17S?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GenYRevolverGuy:

Interesting.

This seems to contradict most of what I see about these guns elsewhere. The piston system is said to reduce ejection port noise, reduce gas to the shooter's face, and keep the gun cleaner, and a lot of guys say the adjustable gas system is good for a variety of conditions.
View Quote

In general:

Unsuppressed? Yes

Suppressed? No, not even close

As the brass case ejects, it sucks all the gas and carbon trapped in the can, back through the breech and ejection port. So it still gets dirty. You can't really avoid that.

Is it cleaner than if you were shooting a DI gun suppressed? Slightly, yes. Will it run longer between failures suppressed without maintenance? Probably. Is it in any way actually clean? No, fuck no. You're still going to be scrubbing the fuck out of it when you're done.

My SCAR17 still gets fucking filthy after a couple hundred rounds, my BRN-180 still needs to get scrubbed and hosed out after a couple hundred rounds, my AUG still needs to get hosed and scrubbed out after a couple hundred rounds, so on so forth. Unsuppressed they're great; you almost don't even need to clean them at all. Put a can on them though...still dirty.

Honestly I've pretty much gone back to DI for suppressed use. I've got a couple rifles I'm going to run until failure to see how far I can push them. The only appreciable change over "stock" either has (both 16" midlength carbines) is they both have full chrome BCGs.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Interesting.

View Quote

I don't remember what year it was I got mine, but no adjustable gas block. Did I mention it's a quad rail :-)

As mentioned above it gets extremely dirty, worse than DI with an adjustable gas block (IMHO)

Between the epic "battlefield Las Vegas" thread and my own experience: No more pistons for me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I had the MK111 Pro upper and it was okay.
It had more recoil impulse than my DI AR's on the setting it needed to function well suppressed.
It was just as dirty shooting suppressed as my DI guns.
The kicker for me was the gas block started rusting within 6 months of owning it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

In general:

Unsuppressed? Yes

As the brass case ejects, it sucks all the gas and carbon trapped in the can, back through the breech and ejection port. So it still gets dirty. You can't really avoid that.

Is it cleaner than if you were shooting a DI gun suppressed? Slightly, yes. Will it run longer between failures suppressed without maintenance? Probably. Is it in any way actually clean? No, fuck no. You're still going to be scrubbing the fuck out of it when you're done.

My SCAR17 still gets fucking filthy after a couple hundred rounds, my BRN-180 still needs to get scrubbed and hosed out after a couple hundred rounds, my AUG still needs to get hosed and scrubbed out after a couple hundred rounds, so on so forth. Unsuppressed they're great; you almost don't even need to clean them at all. Put a can on them though...still dirty.

Honestly I've pretty much gone back to DI for suppressed use. I've got a couple rifles I'm going to run until failure to see how far I can push them. The only appreciable change over "stock" either has (both 16" midlength carbines) is they both have full chrome BCGs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

Interesting.

In general:

Unsuppressed? Yes

Experienced the same with my SCAR 16 using a Legacy Surefire FA556-212. After a few hundred rounds, the inside of my tan receiver would be solid black.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Two editions of their uppers..  run like trucks no problems and decently accurate..

Adjustable piston is nice with suppressor
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:30:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Efl15] [#14]
I’m sure their products and quality are fine. Never owned any of their stuff.

One of the first brands I remember when I got into ARs around 2011.

Honestly, kind of forgot about them. I don’t see their name pop up that much.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one. I forget the model #, but i love it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I want one of those UXRs big time.

I could swear the owner was a member here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#17]
My suppressed BRN-180 is the bees knees...

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Made in Idaho.

From guns to ammo to knives to hops and potatoes....Everything from Idaho is great !!

Seriously....PWS is good stuff.

Up there with LaRue, Noveske. Etc.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
It had more recoil impulse than my DI AR's on the setting it needed to function well suppressed.
The kicker for me was the gas block started rusting within 6 months of owning it.

View Quote

My experience is the opposite, my MK111 pro upper is noticeable smoother shooting than my DI upper whether suppressed or unsuppressed.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]
PWS rocks. I have owned a bunch and ALL were great
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
I have a PWS x39 upper that I use.  I like it.  Dont have (unfortunately) a full rifle, but I have 100% confidence in that upper.

I reaaaallly want their 308 rifle.
View Quote

I have the x39 on a RR and it runs.  Put on suppressor gas setting and it runs fine too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrightP] [#22]
It’s probably my next purchase. I’ve been jonesing over a x39. I’ve got a PSA x39 upper that runs like top and everyone says it’s a unicorn because all the others they’ve seen don’t.

I’ve run it on my buddies RR a bunch and it never skips a beat with cheap ammo.

Anyways, it’s 16” long and I’m wanting a shorter one and will go PWS.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#23]
The PWS TFL - Tactical Forearm Lengthener
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#24]
MK107 and MK111 both running great
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a PWS Mk111 Mod2.  It feels really light in the hand and is very pleasant to shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I like mine. Staying in my collection.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the 16" and 10.5" BRN 180 which run fine. I also had one the original PWS piston uppers that had a ton of problems. They replaced it twice and then started inferring that I was doing something wrong with it….nope, just shooting it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kDjahThqb4
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:57:18 PM EDT
[#29]

I don't remember what year it was I got mine, but no adjustable gas block. Did I mention it's a quad rail :-)

As mentioned above it gets extremely dirty, worse than DI with an adjustable gas block (IMHO)

Between the epic "battlefield Las Vegas" thread and my own experience: No more pistons for me.
View All Quotes

Interesting.

The BLV threads are cool, but when he groups everything into 416 style guns and “everything else,” it’s hard to get any value from that if he’s not being specific.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a sbr PWS Diablo in x39. Runs like a raped ape.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:07:27 AM EDT
[#31]
I had one of their Modern Muskets and it was a great build from them. Sold it and should have kept her.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Vne:
Love both of mine. They're basically identical. One in 300BO, the other 5.56.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/261993/20230308_095138-3208909.jpg

Eta: forgot to point out I only bought the uppers as I prefer Radian lowers. But they’ve been flawless. Great combo.
View Quote

battery acog = winning
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Cansiae1nundatio:

My experience is the opposite, my MK111 pro upper is noticeable smoother shooting than my DI upper whether suppressed or unsuppressed.

YMMV
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cansiae1nundatio:
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:

YMMV

I'm trying to figure out how some of these comparisons work.

PWSs have adjustable gas blocks, but are we comparing them to old school carbine length gas system 16" DI guns, mid length DI guns, SBRs, or DI guns that also have adjustable gas systems?

Or, is the difference so close that we're the argument is over nothing?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:24:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#34]

PWSs have adjustable gas blocks, but are we comparing them to old school carbine length gas system 16" DI guns, mid length DI guns, SBRs, or DI guns that also have adjustable gas systems?

View Quote

I want to say mine had a suppressed/unsuppressed switch…? It's been maybe 15 or 16 years ago or so and honestly I'm not sure. IIRC the gas block cracked twice and they replaced it without and questions. The 3rd time it cracked they did get a little shitty about it, inferring that I was doing something wrong.  The only this I was doing was shooting it albeit I was running it fairly hard….maybe 4-500 rd sessions over 3 hours?  It was the 10.5" and I most always ran it with a can. They ended up refunding me my money.

In their defense they were easy to work with and the upper seemed to be high quality….if the gas bloack didn't keep cracking. lol.   Again this was when they first put this out and my guess was R&D was still ongoing at the time.

I will say that while I like the BRB180 shorty it's starting get a little wonky with some failures to extract and slow extraction….I havn't really looked at it hard to see hats up and I need to.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By pdm:

I want to say mine had a suppressed/unsuppressed switch…? It's been maybe 15 or 16 years ago or so and honestly I'm not sure. IIRC the gas block cracked twice and they replaced it without and questions. The 3rd time it cracked they did get a little shitty about it, inferring that I was doing something wrong.  The only this I was doing was shooting it albeit I was running it fairly hard….maybe 4-500 rd sessions over 3 hours?  It was the 10.5" and I most always ran it with a can. They ended up refunding me my money.

In their defense they were easy to work with and the upper seemed to be high quality….if the gas bloack didn't keep cracking. lol.   Again this was when they first put this out and my guess was R&D was still ongoing at the time.

I will say that while I like the BRB180 shorty it's starting get a little wonky with some failures to extract and slow extraction….I havn't really looked at it hard to see hats up and I need to.
View All Quotes

Man... 15 years ago feels like a weirdly long time in AR world.

On one hand, we're shooting guns that were designed 65+ years ago, but there have been so many shifts and refinements in the industry in the last decade or so.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#36]

PWS is Noveske but without all the hipster faggot shit.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:36:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC_JA] [#37]
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:

PWS is Noveske but without all the hipster faggot shit.

View Quote

Or the NSW contracts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I love my Mk116 5.56.

It's soft shooting, extremely accurate, and digests steel case like a champ.  It's the only AR I still own, I sold the others.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
I love my Mk116 5.56.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/129976/8CAEE83D-79B8-48C7-9851-B9DFD24EC702-808260.jpg

It's soft shooting, extremely accurate, and digests steel case like a champ.  It's the only AR I still own, I sold the others.
View Quote

Love mine too.  

Good soft shooting quality gun and plenty accurate. It's a keeper.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By staringback05:
Two editions of their uppers..  run like trucks no problems and decently accurate..

Adjustable piston is nice with suppressor
View Quote

Agree. I own two with adjustable blocks in 556 and love the gun.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#41]
This isn't the thread to debate the merits of piston vs. di, but the highly regarded denizens of GD will do it anyway

I've had a couple PWS uppers and a few brn180's (made by pws) as well, all have been quality with no major issues
Their customer support has always been good about answering questions or getting replacement parts out if something broke or even proactively offering replacements for upgrades

That said, PWS was acquired last year which always makes me leery of changes for the worse ...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/PWS-company-sold-/126-780417/

They just announced a new rifle platform at SHOT show 2024 called the UXR that I'm going to give a try this year
https://www.primaryweapons.com/firearms/uxr/
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By stiglitz_actual:
This isn't the thread to debate the merits of piston vs. di, but the highly regarded denizens of GD will do it anyway

I've had a couple PWS uppers and a few brn180's (made by pws) as well, all have been quality with no major issues
Their customer support has always been good about answering questions or getting replacement parts out if something broke or even proactively offering replacements for upgrades

That said, PWS was acquired last year which always makes me leery of changes for the worse ...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/PWS-company-sold-/126-780417/

They just announced a new rifle platform at SHOT show 2024 called the UXR that I'm going to give a try this year
https://www.primaryweapons.com/firearms/uxr/
https://www.primaryweapons.com/media/wysiwyg/UXR-xchange-diagram_1.jpg
View Quote

It’s kind of weird when you think about it, but a good portion of the gun industry has changed hands in the last few years.

I think most of those companies have fared alright, but it’s maybe more concerning when it’s a smaller, independent company that had a particular focus.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Back in my contracting days we had PWS Mk1xx Mod0’s. They ran very well but didn’t suppress for shit and the stainless barrels were smoked FAST. Also, the quad rail turned into a heat sink.

The Mod1/Mod2 is significantly improved and suppress very well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

If it had keymod it had an adjustable gas block. Quad rail was the Mod0 without any adjustments.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:50:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#45]
Originally Posted By HKPDW:
My suppressed BRN-180 is the bees knees...

https://i.imgur.com/Ah7MYMp.jpg
View Quote

Is this made by PWS?

eta: consensus is yes. Interdasting.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Potato pic of my woods companions.  Carried a lot shot very little.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#50]
This is the PWS I’m waiting for.

Originally Posted By TNC:
My only other experience: years ago at NW multigun, PWS supplied a full auto SBR stage gun. Every shooter was given 60 rounds for the stage. 10-12 shooters per squad, 10 squads. That gun ran hard full auto continuously, ran like a raped ape. Very impressive.

Meanwhile on stage 1, the SCAR broke and they closed the stage after the first day. The FN guy couldn't get it running again. Nothing to do with PWS, but the contrast in reliability cured my SCAR fever.
View Quote

I wouldn’t put too much stock in a sample size of one. The SCAR is one of the most durable and reliable platforms out there but don’t take my word for it, listen to CombatDiver and Henderson defense.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top