User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2023 12:36:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I take them to a church thrift shop and then pick up some new ones for $.50 each.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Put them on Bookshelves. Never sell a book.
Link Posted: 1/14/2023 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
This is why I use Libby and sometimes Audible, or Kindle e-books on occasion.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
We have a used book store here. They don’t give you a huge amount of money for them but it is better than throwing them away.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Library Thrift Store.

I generally donate my books to the college.  Some are gonne books, but most are WW II history books that I no longer need.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a small collection . Some from 1920, 1910 . A few earlier . Some are worth some money .

Most are not .  Maybe put them on eBay ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#7]
sell them at half priced books.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 12:36:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dcs12345] [#8]
Got any good books for kids….say 7ish to young teens?  

Classic books?  Sci-fi? Fantasy?  Military memoirs?

I might be interested in buying some.  My kids read an ass load of books.  Media Mail rates are pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CB1:
sell them at half priced books.
View Quote

Or sell them your self on Amazon.   Make more money that way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I give them to a local used book store. I love going to used book stores.
Throwing books away is the same as burning them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the same “problem”.  I’ve thought about donating them to overseas deployed military but don’t know who to talk to about that….
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Do they have Half-priced Books near you?
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Aggie_Gunner:
Do they have Half-priced Books near you?
View Quote

There are a couple of consignment books store in my area that would take and sell them w/ about a return of about $.30 on the dollar.  I will prolly resort to that…… eventually.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Donate or find someone else who likes them I know
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Donate to the library book sale for the tax write off, in the old days
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep the ones that have some type of significance for me.
The rest I hand over to secondhand book shops.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ApacheScout:
I give them to a local used book store. I love going to used book stores.
Throwing books away is the same as burning them.
View Quote

This.

The few times I've had to throw books away because of irreparable damage, it's made me feel downright ill.

My kids are going to have an interesting time going through my library when I die.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I avoid tossing books. To the point I have about 4k of them stored in another state, in a unit that ain't exactly cheap.

As has been said, friends of libraries would work. If it's science fiction, as most of mine are, a good place to donate them to is the Heinlein for Heroes program . "Founded in November 2013, Heinlein For Heroes   H4H   is a  program for placing science fiction books, especially Heinlein books, into the hands of active military personnel particularly those deployed their families, and into the hands of veterans in veterans' hospitals."

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#20]
There are a couple book boxes in the neighborhood.  Like a cabinet on the sidewalk.
You take what you want and leave something you've already read.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 8:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WiseguyThreeOne] [#21]
If they are military or historical in nature, look up Jason Pipes on Facebook. He runs Skirmish Line Books out of North Carolina and also admins a couple Facebook sale groups.

I am normally very reluctant to introduce people to Jason, since I have dumped a LOT of money down that guy and he's sort of like my drug dealer. But he DID find me the Volume IV of the late Harve Saal's long out of print MACV-SOG history and it only cost me three hundred.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Don’t know if there is a 2nd & Charles in your area but that’s where we dispose of them. It’s very akin to a pawn shop in terms of what they give you but we buy a ton from there so store credit is good enough to get them out of our house.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#23]
You'd be surprised at what some books are worth (and sell for) these days. Just as an example, I have a few "modern conflict" books that are now discontinued. They go for hundreds each.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:32:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fish223] [#24]
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:25:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#25]
I had an old tattered paperback copy of Burke Davis' Marine about Chesty Puller and when I was done reading it, took it to the gunsmithing skool and asked the instructor if there were any marines in his class.  He told me which workbench to leave it on.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I dump mine in the break room at work. They usually disappear.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I keep them then reread them.  It's always seemed like a new book because I'm different now than when I first read them so I understand things I didn't before or see things through a life that has experienced new things.

But now that I'm at the end of my life, I think it's time to pass them on so I'm glad I found this forum.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Tiempos_Peligrosos:
I keep them then reread them.  It's always seemed like a new book because I'm different now than when I first read them so I understand things I didn't before or see things through a life that has experienced new things.

But now that I'm at the end of my life, I think it's time to pass them on so I'm glad I found this forum.
View Quote

@Tiempos_Peligrosos

Yo, man. You good?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:49:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiempos_Peligrosos] [#29]
Originally Posted By Scalped:

@Tiempos_Peligrosos

Yo, man. You good?
View Quote

LOL yeah, I'm good.  Just ready.  I really need to start downsizing, though, and no one but me is really a reader.

Very nice of you to ask.  Love this place!
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:59:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DADGAD] [#30]
I just throw them away. There are so many used books in the world that will never be looked at again. Philosophically, I hate throwing them away, and I will pull out some that might have special meaning to someone, but in reality, no one wants them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
View Quote

I'm in this group.
I also would not give them away.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Half Price Books will pay for books they know they can resell. The rest…. their dumpster out back is usually full. I think they locked it up after I maybe raided it one too many times.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
View Quote

Yep, put it back on the bookshelf. That way the commies can't come to your house and edit them like they can with a kindle book. Plus, you might want to revisit the book or loan it in the future.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 12:44:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I try to get my kids or co-workers to read them and they usually could give a fuck less.  Then I just re-read them 30 years later.  Going through all my Raymond E. Feist books again but this time in chronological order instead of published order.  I'll get to read the last few I never read from the last 10 years or so.  I'm going to do The Wheel of Time again for the umpteenth time but will finally read the final volumes Brandon Sanderson had to write after Robert Jordan's death.  Wrapping that series up will finally happen after almost 30 years.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Donate them to Adult Literacy if you have one in your town. I volunteer at one in Wichita Falls and once a year we have a book fair sale. The proceeds go back into the program that helps people learn to read, write and get their high school diploma.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#37]
I donate boxes of books about twice a year to the VA hospital and local nursing/rehabilitation/retirement homes.  By far the most appreciative folks are at the retirement home...

Hking
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Gave them to the thrift store of the local battered women's shelter.  Lots and lots of hard backs with dust covers.  Most were in perfect shape.  It was hard to part with them.  I'm a Kindle guy now.  Just too dang easy and convenient.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Same problem here.  I have saved so many books.  I'm seriously re-reading a bunch now but overall I'll never read them all again (many have already been re-read to be honest).  My kids don't want to read them.  There's no value in selling them.  I've thought about building one of those free library boxes or whatever and putting in my yard just to be creative.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Donate to library for library book store.

I take mine to the College for the college library.

You can also Fleabay them.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Every time I consider getting rid of my physical books the image of a diabetic scientist submerging his sealed books in his septic tank for use by future generations comes to my mind. E books and PDFs have their place, but a widespread shift away from physical media to digital streaming content is a bad thing. Way too easy for unpopular content to be disappeared. Look at what they're doing to Dr Seuss and Disney movies that are deemed improper. Old TV shows that were innocent enough back in the day that now carry a content warning. The list goes on.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Tiempos_Peligrosos:

View Quote

Just fyi this dude hasn't posted since this.

Looks like we lost a fellow Arf book reader
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 12:09:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#44]
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 12:51:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Threefingers] [#45]
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
I have a basement full of books I will never read again.  Couple of shelves of books from when I was a kid that I kept for nostalgic reasons but won't read.

Called the library and they said they will just sell or trash them.  Goodwill?  Is there somewhere else that would get better use out of them?

Thought about boxing them and putting them in the garage but it gets 90+ in there in the summer.
View Quote

I list them on paperback swap   Gets me credit for MORE books

If paperback, the Appalachian Prison Book project will take them

Mrs
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Yard/ garage sale works for me
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I am a Kindle person now.  The few books on my shelf are going to a donations bin.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
I have a basement full of books I will never read again.  Couple of shelves of books from when I was a kid that I kept for nostalgic reasons but won't read.

Called the library and they said they will just sell or trash them.  Goodwill?  Is there somewhere else that would get better use out of them?

Thought about boxing them and putting them in the garage but it gets 90+ in there in the summer.
View Quote
Donate all the ones I don't want to keep.

Hospice thrift, or to a bookstore for bookstore credits, local friends of the library, that sort of thing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top