Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2024 2:52:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FriskyDillo]
My uncle recently gave me these guns that have been in the family as an early "inheritance." (EDIT TO CLARIFY: My uncle is still alive and well, he just wanted me to have these guns now instead of later.) These belonged to my grandfather and step-great grandfather. My grandfather died when I was 7 or 8 so I didn't know him too well, but I know he was a blue-collar man that did welding in Houston. I assume my step-great grandfather was also a blue-collar man. These guns weren't rare or super expensive for the time and seem consistent with what an average person could buy from a Sear's catalog pre-1950 or were on the affordable end of the spectrum for when they were sold.

Does anybody know anything about these guns and how to go about cleaning up the rust? I'm not really looking to sell them unless they happen to be pretty valuable. Just looking to clean up/prevent further rusting and put some round through them.

First up is this Rohm RG38. I believe it has a zinc alloy frame with steel cylinder and barrel. The barrel is pinned in place, and it seems these can be pretty dangerous to shoot once the barrel works loose and the timing is messed up.
Untitled by Frisky Dillo, on Flickr

This is a Hawes Western Marshall (Colt SAA clone) in 357. Manufactured by J.P. Sauer & Sohn, which would be acquired by or would become Sig Sauer.

I believe this is a Mossberg 2510. The gulf moisture has not been too kind to it. I've never seen a rear-loading tube magazine like this.

I think this Winchester Model 88 was made in the 60s. It's probably in the best condition as compared to the others.

I think this gun is a Spanish Mauser that has been "sporterized." It looks like it's missing a handguard and maybe some other parts. I can't find many identifiable marks on it, other than it is chambered in 7mm, and has a "R" stamped on the chamber. My uncle said he thought it was Turkish, but he would shoot coffee cans at 100 yards with it.

This shotgun is a Remington Model 11, a licensed copy of the Browning A5. I believe this gun is at least 100 years old. It appears it was parkerized at one point since there is some pitting covered up. It came with the original cracked handguard (is this fixable?), and a spare barrel that is a fixed full choke. The barrel in the gun has an adjustable choke. Does anyone know how this works? I'm assuming you just twist it to the desired choke?

This is a Remington Model 592M, in 5mm rimfire magnum. A cartridge I didn't know existed. My uncle still had some ammo he could give me and said it's a very flat shooter out to 100 yards. Might have to pop some gophers with it.

.22 LR, 5mm, 5.56

Winchester Model 1890, pump action in 22 Long. I believe this is a take down model due to the screw on the left hand side of the receiver. Based on the serial number, I think this specific gun was manufactured in the 1930s.

This was my grandfather's 22. Marlin model 81 chambered in 22 short, 22 long, and 22 long rifle. The wood shim under the rear sight was courtesy of my grandfather.

My uncle said this shotgun is a project gun and would need a gunsmith to get it in working order. He said the locking tab (circled in red) needs to be built back up and then the left barrel needs some work after some idiot fired a 16 gauge down the barrel. It would also need a new bead sight.  This is an Iver Johnson SxS that I believe were commonly sold in Sears Catalogs, and this specific model was sold around 1910-1920. Is this thing fixable? I would like to take it bird hunting if it can be repaired. Or is it better off as a wall hanger?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Neat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]

No safe queens.

Owners used them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
On today's episode of I have this old gun......
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
They are old.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The single action 357 and the model 88 really got my attention.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:10:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mordecai] [#6]
The Hawes (Sauer) and 5mm are neat.

The 1890 and Win 88 are nice too.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I had never heard of the 5mm either. That single action is pretty neat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed.  That 592 is a gem!  The Winchesters both have value.   The Saur revolver should be a fair shooter.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
ther double bbl looks like one of the barrels is bulged
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Inquisitive_Spaniard] [#10]
Midwest gun supply will be your friend for the model 11. You’ll need an A5 recoil spring and probably a new bronze friction ring. I’d replace the mag spring as well. Wolff gun springs has an extra power action spring. Numrichs has a lot of small parts. The forends were notorious for cracking. It can be fixed with acraglass. I’m in the middle of restoring mine. Make sure your gas rings are set right. Yours is a very old model. It has the suicide safety in the trigger guard. If I recall that’s prior to 1928. The polychoke is simply adjusted by twisting.

Neat old guns.

If I recall 5mm is still obtainable as a commercial load. It made a slight comeback about 10 years ago. I think it was either Fiochi or PPU that loaded it
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PTR32Sooner:
ther double bbl looks like one of the barrels is bulged
View Quote

It is, my uncle said somebody shot a 16 gauge shell down that barrel which caused the bulging.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:
Midwest gun supply will be your friend for the model 11. You’ll need an A5 recoil spring and probably a new bronze friction ring. I’d replace the mag spring as well. Wolff gun springs has an extra power action spring. Numrichs has a lot of small parts. The forends were notorious for cracking. It can be fixed with acraglass. I’m in the middle of restoring mine. Make sure your gas rings are set right. Yours is a very old model. It has the suicide safety in the trigger guard. If I recall that’s prior to 1928. The polychoke is simply adjusted by twisting.

Neat old guns.

If I recall 5mm is still obtainable as a commercial load. It made a slight comeback about 10 years ago. I think it was either Fiochi or PPU that loaded it
View Quote

My uncle said he saw Aguila was still making ammo for it. He gave me a couple hundred rounds for it so I have some ammo to shoot while looking for more.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FriskyDillo:

It is, my uncle said somebody shot a 16 gauge shell down that barrel which caused the bulging.
View Quote

Doing that won’t hurt the barrel. A squib from a stuck 16ga wad will definitely do it with a 12ga follow up shot. That barrel is toast.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#14]
The choke on that shotgun is Herter's version of a Poly Choke.  

You do indeed change the choke constriction by twisting the knurled end.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]
There are a couple dandy's in there.  That Winchester model 88 in 243 is a wonderful old deer rifle.  The 592 is another gem.  I believe Aguilla did a run of ammo for those not so long ago.  I would SBS that model 11 in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#16]
Well, you got a mix of guns. Some gems, some not so much.

A couple opinions off the top of my head.

DON’T shoot the Rohm. The Germans don’t always make great stuff. The fact that it is still in one piece makes it somewhat collectible to aficionados of the “Saturday Night Special”.

The Remington 11 has a cracked forend because; 1) the recoil system may not be set-up properly for the load being shot 2) the springs are worn out OR 3) that aftermarket adjustable choke is messing with the set-up. Otherwise, it looks in pretty good shape and worth a $100 spring job and learning to set-up the recoil system correctly. The forend looks repairable but get the gun set-up properly first.

The Winchester model 88 is a “post-64” so not quite as collectible as a pre-64 but still a good gun and should be a solid shooter.

The Winchester model 90 has some value. Condition isn’t “great” but I wouldn’t try to clean it up too much. Avoid the temp station to shoot LR through it. .22 LONG is still available if you look around.

The Iver-Johnson shotgun probably isn’t worth too much and may or may not be safe to shoot based on the condition.

The Remington 592 has collector interest and looks to be in good shape. I don’t even know if you can find any source for 5mm Rimfire ammunition, so use what you got sparingly.

The Marlin 81 will probably clean-up into a nice shooter. Those old Marlin bolt-action .22s could be tack-drivers with the right ammunition and a good crown at the muzzle.

Can’t really comment on the Mauser.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
The single action 357 and the model 88 really got my attention.
View Quote

This. The model 88 was highly sought after back about 20 years ago. Back when I kept up with the Winchesters. I assume it still is.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Doing that won’t hurt the barrel. A squib from a stuck 16ga wad will definitely do it with a 12ga follow up shot. That barrel is toast.
View Quote

Looks like it'll be used as man cave decor then. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Makarov:
Well, you got a mix of guns. Some gems, some not so much.

A couple opinions off the top of my head.

DON’T shoot the Rohm. The Germans don’t always make great stuff. The fact that it is still in one piece makes it somewhat collectible to aficionados of the “Saturday Night Special”.

The Remington 11 has a cracked forend because; 1) the recoil system may not be set-up properly for the load being shot 2) the springs are worn out OR 3) that aftermarket adjustable choke is messing with the set-up. Otherwise, it looks in pretty good shape and worth a $100 spring job and learning to set-up the recoil system correctly. The forend looks repairable but get the gun set-up properly first.

The Winchester model 88 is a “post-64” so not quite as collectible as a pre-64 but still a good gun and should be a solid shooter.

The Winchester model 90 has some value. Condition isn’t “great” but I wouldn’t try to clean it up too much. Avoid the temp station to shoot LR through it. .22 LONG is still available if you look around.

The Iver-Johnson shotgun probably isn’t worth too much and may or may not be safe to shoot based on the condition.

View Quote

CCI still makes .22 Long, I got about 500 rounds being delivered today.

I did some research and saw Rohms can be dangerous due to how the barrel is pinned to the receiver. I thought about just putting one or two rounds through it but probably be better off not shooting it at all.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]
My father in-law had a Hawes western. It seemed to be well made and heavy. He wasn’t much of a pistol shooter so I ran a box through it and it shot decent.

The old double barrel is done for. It would be good as a wall hanger or parts gun.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
The 592 is a neat action. Effectively a 2/3 scale 788 action, with 6 locking lugs instead of 9. Insanely over-strength for a rimfire; a few years ago people were converting them to fire small center-fire cartridges. Personally I want one to try to convert to 7.62x2r. Just because.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:49:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: p3590] [#22]
The Remington 11 is ~1910 production from the serial, lots of their forearms cracked, in part from people setting the friction rings wrong .  I've seen similar forearm cracks on A-5s/11s/720s fixed with accuglass, so that is doable.  I would probably buy the ~$12 set of brownell's A-5 bits and change all the springs.  Note the nice thing about a poly-choke is that it means you can run steel shot if you want to use it as a beater waterfowl gun.  

The SxS isn't, IMHO, worth fixing.  The barrel is bulged badly, and the locking tang is chewed beyond economical salvage unless you are a pretty good TIG welder with the ability to machine that back into functional.  Overall condition screams wallhanger.

I'm pretty sure at first glance that the mauser is a 1916 Spanish one.  Its not a turk if its in 7x57mm, they were  7.65 53mm and later converted 7.92 57mm.  Matches what I remember of a 1916 more than any turk configuration anyway.

The Western Marshal SAA clone is reasonably highly regarded, and definitely shootable.  The RG revolver....is not even remotely well regarded, and was the revolver competition to the ring of fire saturday night specials.  I'd probably be looking for a gun buy-back with more money than sense.

The Winchester 88 is the most valuable one, and looks nice.  I'm not a collector of them, and don't know the minutia, but that's likely worth north of $1k.

On 5mm Mag:  Aquila makes new production ammo that's periodically available, so its a shootable rifle, and would be nice for woodchucks and the like.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Glad to see family firearms being passed down.  

Enjoy them, work on them, remember whose hands those firearms have been through in all these years.

Hope you are remembering some happy moments from shooting with the family.

I’m a sentimental idiot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
The 592 is a neat action. Effectively a 2/3 scale 788 action, with 6 locking lugs instead of 9. Insanely over-strength for a rimfire; a few years ago people were converting them to fire small center-fire cartridges. Personally I want one to try to convert to 7.62x2r. Just because.
View Quote

5.7 would be cool conversion
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By p3590:
The Remington 11 is ~1910 production from the serial, lots of their forearms cracked, in part from people setting the friction rings wrong .  I've seen similar forearm cracks on A-5s/11s/720s fixed with accuglass, so that is doable.  I would probably buy the ~$12 set of brownell's A-5 bits and change all the screws.  Note the nice thing about a poly-choke is that it means you can run steel shot if you want to use it as a beater waterfowl gun.  

The SxS isn't, IMHO, worth fixing.  The barrel is bulged badly, and the locking tang is chewed beyond economical salvage unless you are a pretty good TIG welder with the ability to machine that back into functional.  Overall condition screams wallhanger.

I'm pretty sure at first glance that the mauser is a 1916 Spanish one.  Its not a turk if its in 7x57mm, they were  7.65 53mm and later converted 7.92 57mm.  Matches what I remember of a 1916 more than any turk configuration anyway.

The Western Marshal SAA clone is reasonably highly regarded, and definitely shootable.  The RG revolver....is not even remotely well regarded, and was the revolver competition to the ring of fire saturday night specials.  I'd probably be looking for a gun buy-back with more money than sense.

The Winchester 88 is the most valuable one, and looks nice.  I'm not a collector of them, and don't know the minutia, but that's likely worth north of $1k.

On 5mm Mag:  Aquila makes new production ammo that's periodically available, so its a shootable rifle, and would be nice for woodchucks and the like.  

View Quote

Thank you!

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Keep an eye on Every gun part. You might find a "parts kit" for the double barrel.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:26:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tangeant] [#27]
Nothing worth much. 597 maybe 1890 if bore is good.

The Win 88 and mod 11 shotgun I would keep rest are mostly gun buy back material or parts guns.

Take the poly choke off and cut back to riot length 20" and a new bead.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Post pictures of the Mauser over on Gunboards in the Mauser section, and they can tell you lots. It appears to be matching numbers, which is a plus. If it's caliber is 7x57mm Mauser, it's still a decent deer gun, even with iron sights. Sorry for the loss of the family member, but good that they are being passed down instead of going to a "gun buyback". JMHO.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Southernman077:
I had never heard of the 5mm either. That single action is pretty neat.
View Quote

All the cool kids are converting them to centerfire. Google 5mm Craig.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Neat old guns.

View Quote

Agulia is making them. And another under the centurion name.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By tangeant:
Nothing worth much. 597 maybe 1890 if bore is good.

The Win 88 and mod 11 shotgun I would keep rest are mostly gun buy back material or parts guns.

Take the poly choke off and cut back to riot length 20" and a new bead.
View Quote
The 592 is going for over $400 on GB. If that's buyback material in your AO, let me know so I can dump a whole bunch of guns I have.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Does anybody know anything about these guns and how to go about cleaning up the rust? I'm not really looking to sell them unless they happen to be pretty valuable. Just looking to clean up/prevent further rusting and put some round through them.
View Quote

For mild rust pitting, I use steel wool dipped in Hoppes #9. Just rub the gun down until your happy, since you plan on shoot’n them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: p3590] [#34]
Originally Posted By FriskyDillo:

Thank you!

View Quote
I meant change all the springs, not screws.  I edited the post, but just hoping your aren't out buying screws from GPC!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#35]
https://maxammodepot.com/product/5mm-remington-magnum/

No clue about the website.

The Hawes, model 88, R11, and a couple others are freaking awesome guns.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#36]
That Winchester 88 is pretty sweet and probably really valuable in .243.

The JP Sauer .357 SAA is probably also a gem, just not as valuable. The only example I've seen was well made and locked up great.

The Mauser might not be sporterized. Most sporterized Mausers are missing pieces like the hardware at the front of the stock.

The only gun here I'd use aggressive cleaning techniques on is the Mossberg .22. Some steel wool and light oil will take most of that rust right off with little to no damage to the bluing.

Everything else just needs a polymer brush, a light solvent, and time.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I had an 88 in 308. It was a tack driver. Those haven't been made in a long time.  The 100s (semi automatic) version are still pretty highly sought after.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow, I really enjoyed the pictures.. I'd do what I could to get them running.    Gun oil and some fine steel wool would be a start
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I do intend to take the ones in shooting condition out for a range day; hopefully this weekend.  I'll post an update here once I can.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#40]
SBS the shotguns. Mill out spots for red dots on all of them. Cut all the rifles down to 13.7 and put brakes on them. Screw on sections of rail to attach lights.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like a lot of blue collar collections I saw over my years as an FFL.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#42]
The RG is very popular….in some tribes
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Please don't use steel wool, bronze wool is much better to remove rust as it can't scratch the steel underneath. If it leaves any bronze marks on the gun you can remove them easily with any of the copper removing bore cleaners.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:39:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: czechsix] [#44]
see if you can find brass wool before going the steel wool route.

I'll dig up a value from the Mossberg Collectors Association for the mossy when I get back from errands.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
SBS the shotguns. Mill out spots for red dots on all of them. Cut all the rifles down to 13.7 and put brakes on them. Screw on sections of rail to attach lights.
View Quote

I mean, if I cut down the SxS past the bulge, it should be good to go, right?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm very sorry for the loss suffered by you and your family.  Thanks very much for posting all the photos and descriptions, I really enjoyed looking at them.  Hopefully, some day, someone will be happy to inherit my stuff, but so far there is only one family member interested in guns, and he is only a few years younger than I am.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Pawn/buyback everything but the 1890 winny and perhaps the marlin unless something has provenance or hardcore family heirloom
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MFP_4073] [#48]
gun buy-back turn-ins and use the money toward a new ACOG ??  

ETA -- sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#49]
The Mossberg is a 251 C not 2510.

The sights are more or less regulated for SV at 50 yards.

Mossberg offered 22lr rifles in several variations of that type of tube action.  It is a nifty design.  They used it for decades.  The parts are largely interchangeable.  Numrich has parts.

The fork over at Rimfire Central Mossberg subforum can tell you a lot more

The design pretty much went by the wayside after '68 as there was no manual safety.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Wood shim is under the rear sight on the Marlin 81 because the riser is missing.  That is a common piece to be missing.  You can get those from Numrich also.  The '81 design was often used as a trades gun.  It was sold under different names in Hardware stores and catalogues.

Yes, the Win 1890 is a takedown.  They were originally designed as gallery guns.  It is actually in pretty decent shape given some I have seen. You can get new production replacement stocks for 1890's from a few places including Brownell's.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top