Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 39
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
SHARPSHOOTERS FORWARD: The Regimental History of the Palmetto Sharpshooter Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers, 1861-1865 by Brocky A. Nicely
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy for my nonfiction needs and The Book of the New Sun for my fiction needs.
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
SEX IN HISTORY by Reay Tannahill
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 9:24:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyKnifeUSMC] [#4]
Destroyermen: Distant Thunders.

I’m binge listening to the entire audio series.

Edit:  oops. Thought I was in the book forum. this is history. LOL.
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Just finished The Voices of D-Day. Wow, just wow. The only weakness is that it doesn't have enough stuff from the German experience.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Every Man a Hero by Ray Lambert with Jim DeFelice
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Alex Kershaw's The First Wave.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Just finished Accelerate. Reading War and Peace and IT now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking for recommendations on books covering the Edo period and Meiji Restoration. Would prefer something that covers each separately and in depth.

If anyone has a suggestion let me know. I just finished "The Japanese Experience" by Beasley. It was a good overview, but now looking for indepth reading on these two eras of Japanese history.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 9:33:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#10]
Eugene Sledge's China Marine.  Sledge covers their reaction that the war was over and the 5th is then sent to China to disarm the Japanese Army there.  His battalion is lucky and gets duty in Peking.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:52:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aussie_E] [#11]
Alone at Dawn
Soldier I
When The Killer Man Comes
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#12]
The Centurions by Jean Lartéguy
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Just finished:

The Voices From Stalingrad
Crack! and Thump
A Tale of Two Soldiers.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#14]
A Rough Justice: Reminisces of a Rhodesia Magistrate by Malachy Purcell
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I love Amazon...
Some of these are for deep reading, some are just references for lesson plans and lectures.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Watch My Tracer by Keith Chisnall
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#17]
The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski .
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheHorrorTheHorror:
Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy for my nonfiction needs and The Book of the New Sun for my fiction needs.
View Quote
How did you like this one? Hastings is one of my favorite historians.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Just finished these three:  Blood Red Snow, Foxhole Memoirs from A to Z and An Infantryman in Patton's Army.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Stan Richardson's Growing Up in a Foxhole. Richardson served in the 45th Infantry (Thunderbirds) Division and I just visited that museum on Friday.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#21]
True Believer by Jack Carr....his second book in the series
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Herb Sheaner's Prisoner's Odyssey.  Sheaner was captured with his regiment (422 of the 106th Div) at the Battle of the Bulge.  They did not get the command to fall back to St. Vith (the fortified goose egg), were surrounded and with very little ammo, incapable of resistance.  His book is mostly the ordeal he and other prisoners endured as PoWs.  Unlike others who were in camps, he was put on a work detail for months that fed them only a thin soup and a slice of bread daily.  Lunch was no lunch and it was just a rest period.  Some guards were kind and would smuggle food to prisoners.  Anyway, Sheaner was like a Union prisoner at Andersonville when he and his buddy escaped and flagged down a passing jeep that delivered them back to American lines.

Contrast that to the treatment German PoWs in America got.  Same rations as a GI with plenty of food.  They even got to go to the movies (while Black GIs who guarded them had to sit in the balcony) or dances.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Small Unit Tactics Tactical Manual, Max Velocity Tactical
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Denis Edwards' The Devil's Own Luck about the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire's Co. D as it fought its way from Pegasus Bridge to the Baltic.   Been reading a lot about D-Day lately.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By budasc:
View Quote
Excellent manual, and his Youtube videos break down the topics very succinctly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
SHARPSHOOTERS FORWARD: The Regimental History of the Palmetto Sharpshooter Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers, 1861-1865 by Brocky A. Nicely
View Quote
Hey, my g-g-grandfather was in the Palmetto Sharpshooters.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By PalmettoSharpshooter:
Hey, my g-g-grandfather was in the Palmetto Sharpshooters.
View Quote
Got any papers/memoirs/diary from him?

There are three books and the one I listed is one of the best.  The third book, Struck Eagle, is mostly about M. Jenkins who raised the regiment.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 2:34:50 AM EDT
[#28]
The Future Is History by Masha Gessen

The nuts and bolts recent history and excellent narrative of how the USSR implosion then led to a
new totalitarian system.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 4:35:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Trigger Men.  It's about our snipers in Iraq.  Good reading.
View Quote
Yes, good read.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 5:15:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QueenDeNile] [#30]
I have been reading The Oregon Trail by Rinker Buck. Buck along with his brother drive a mule team from a launch place in Missouri (circa 2014) to Oregon. He provides so much information about the trial, the Pioneers, the equipment, the history of the wagons and styles, the history of mules. If you ever wanted to learn about the Oregon Trail this is your book. He also provides the experience he and his brother go through along the trail and excerpts of pioneer's personal accounts along with research done by others regarding the death toll and causes and trail preservation and high lights.

*ETA* I ended up not finishing this book. His liberal tyrants was too much to endure. It's really too bad because he had so much good information
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By lew:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lew:
Originally Posted By budasc:
I had not seen his stuff before.  Great vids.  Has anyone here trained with him?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Finishing Vol 3 Cicero's Letters to Atticus - interesting because Cicero lived and wrote about the Caesar-Pompey civil war times.

Working through ARRL Technician manual to get my Technician license for Ham radio.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#33]
If women complain of sexual harassment today is bad, imagine being the sole female in an all male unit.   Just read Girl With a Sniper Rifle.  After being injured, she is transferred from her all women sniper platoon and an infantry regiment where her commander respects the women who are in his  charge to an all male artillery battery.   She spurs her captain's advances and her platoon responds by treating her favorably like a "fille de regiment" (Daugther of the regiment) and are like a bunch of fathers/big brothers who care for her as if she was their daughter/little sister.  In this case of a WW II Soviet "Me Too", I believe her.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Up Close: A Scout's Story by John Davis.    Like Herb Sheaner,  Davis was in the 106th Infantry but in another regiment.  Thus he fought through the Battle of the Bulge and all the way to the Siegfried Line.  Davis does not mention his boot camp qualification, but in one battle he slaughters a bunch of SS men whose uniforms stand out against the white snow.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Dean P. Joy's Sixty Days in Combat: An Infantryman's Memoir of World War II in Europe.
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Where men win glory by John Krakauer from Amazon review: This edition has been updated to reflect new developments and includes new material obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.

Pat Tillman walked away from a multimillion-dollar NFL contract to join the Army and became an icon of post-9/11 patriotism. When he was killed in Afghanistan two years later, a legend was born. But the real Pat Tillman was much more remarkable, and considerably more complicated than the public knew
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Lycan Fallout by Mark Tufo
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#38]
The Battle for Hells Island, Stephen Moore
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Adventures of My Youth by Armin Scheiderbauer
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:05:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Hue 1968
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I’m finally  taking the time to listen to the audiobook of The Last Centurion.

Link Posted: 9/6/2019 12:06:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#42]
Put aside Adventures for Battle Hardened by Craig Chapman.

ETA:

Read about one drunk Texan in WW II and how he prevented VD after an unauthorized visit to a brothel. He dipped it in gasoline and then ran out screaming in agony. Check it out in Craig Chapman's Battle Hardened. It's written by a son of an infantry officer who wanted to learn about his father's battles in WW II. His father was masterful as a tactician and rooted the Germans out of a well fortified area with heavy suppressive fire (two platoons including the heavy weapons platoon providing suppressive fir and then the third platoon maneuvering into position. Once that third platoon is in position to lay down a suppressive fire, then the second platoon maneuvers and so on). They used up the battalion, then regiment and then division's allotment of ammunition. The S-4 Major visited the front and wanted to know why so much ammo was being used. He went away satisfied that it wasn't being wasted.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Debunking Howard Zinn: Exposing the Fake History That Turned a Generation against America, by Mary Grabar

This was published in the past few months.  If you have kids in high school give them this book before they get assigned Zinn's trash.
Link Posted: 9/8/2019 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Just finished Defeat Into Victory by Field Marshall Slim. About the Burma Campaign in WWII. Great read but long.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#45]
The Forgotten 500 by Gregory Freeman about the rescue of American and Allied bomber crews shot down behind the lines in Yugoslavia.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Forgotten Ally: China’s World War II, 1937-1945

Also, Finland At War, The Winter War 1939-40.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Panzer Ace: The Memoirs of Iron Cross Panzer Commander from Barbarossa to Normandy by Richard von Rosen
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Eugene Luciano's Our Blood and His Guts.  4th Armored Division armored infantryman's account of WW II.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#49]
The Conquest of Morocco by Douglas Porch
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Chuikov's The Battle for Stalingrad.
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top