Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
About 1ish. Parents have confirmed, and it's not something I could make up. Strange the things that you remember and that you don't.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure of what's an actual real memory versus a fake memory that's been created by old photos.
I recall a few snippets of pre-school, which would have been 3-4 years of age.
Couple memories of kindergarten.
Some very early memories of the kids youth services in church when I was young enough to go to those instead of the main service upstairs
Lots of gaps in the memory from those years and i am good with that. Not sure that I'd care to remember too much stuff from the distant past
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Getting the smallpox vax. Was a year and a half to two years old I believe.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
13 or 14.  not much of anything prior to that
View Quote

Glue?

😵
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I've gone back as far as maybe 4 or 5 years old. Pre-kindergarten stuff. Some of it is vivid, others are just feelings or a sense of things.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Only thing I remember before the age of 5 is being violently held upside down, by my dad, over the kitchen sink at my grandma's house until I puked. I was 3. I remember it being a really scary event.

Learned later on that I had choked on a piece of grape hard candy. Turned blue. Dad scooped me up, held me over the sink and was finger sweeping my throat and got out the candy....and the rest of what was inside me.

Grandma forbade any form of hard candy in her house from then on.

Most of my early memories are of getting hurt.

Cut myself with a toy(but real) saw.

Jumped out of a tree and landed on my tailbone on the edge of a huge sandbox dad made out of 1x12s. Was aiming for the sand. Daggone that hurt.

Nearly fell out of the same tree but managed to hug it all the way to the ground...without a shirt on. Skinned from belt to chin on tree bark.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Around 3 years old.  A neighbor girl showed me how to fix my shoe laces.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By klutz347:
Around 3 years old.  A neighbor girl showed me how to fix my shoe laces.
View Quote
I've seen that documentary...
When I was about 5 or 6 my mom took me to her boyfriend's parents' house. He had a smokin hot sister (at least I thought so at the time) named Barbie. I kept trying to hang out with her, and she even let me sit on her waterbed. It did not go anywhere from there, lol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#9]
2 memories from about the same time.

In the asparagus patch behind the house we lived in when I was 2-4 yo.
I remember looking up at the tops of the plants in the sky and I thought they were giant.
I think I also saw a rabbit in that patch.

The other was in the garage, there was a wooden box that had tucan sam on it.
It scared the shit out of me for some reason and I hated that garage.

Most of my memories began at the place we moved to when I was 4.
Those are vivid.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By _Nataraja_:
About 1ish. Parents have confirmed, and it's not something I could make up. Strange the things that you remember and that you don't.
View Quote

Same. I have seemingly insignificant memories from when I was 1 year old. Things I can accurately describe that my parents confirm are correct.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember going to the party with dad and coming home with mom.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think I can remember anything before 5. Maybe I do, but I can't think of anything specific. However, because of how impactful it was, I do remember Mt. St. Helens in 1980. My next most impactful memory is STS-1 in 1981.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]
4 years old. There was a huge 4th of July storm that knocked a tree down on the neighbors car.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GGF:
I remember going to the party with dad and coming home with mom.

View Quote

Like a Bruce Jenner situation??
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I remember stuff from when I was 2 or 3, I'm 70 now. It was unpleasant stuff. I had a single mother.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I was four years old when my mother was jumping up and down in  a sun dress saying the war is over knowing my father was coming home.

He never made it
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:17:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Standing in a crib with my throat sore. Later on found it was after I had my tonsils removed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Strela:
Standing in a crib with my throat sore. Later on found it was after I had my tonsils removed.
View Quote
I didn't have mine out until I was 6. Recovery sucked. Even with the ice cream.
I also didn't get circumcized until I was 3 or so. I actually remember the surgeon having me hold my underwear in my hand as I wasn't fully sedated. That recovery sucked, too. The stitches rubbed against my drawers constantly, and my mom applied Vaseline to my fireman daily. Apologies if that's too personal for you all, lol.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#19]
My earliest was the JFK assassination, all the women in my life were crying for days, the funeral procession is a vivid memory along with the famous salute by Jr.  I was 3 1/2 years old.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember a lot of things from about 3.5- 4 years old forward.

I think my earliest memory was my Dad feeding me a bottle and rocking me in the living room. For some reason, I think it was Sunday night.

Another memory is around 2 years old my Aunt taking me to her Mother in-laws-house on a Sunday afternoon. They put me in a highchair and all of her in-laws were there eating dinner. At home we did not have a highchair. My Mom or Dad held me in their lap while I ate. I sort of remember my thought process of what is this thing?

The highchair collapsed and I fell.  I didn't cry. I think I was stunned. I remember my Aunt grabbing me, the women saying they couldn't believe I wasn't crying, and my Aunt's Mother in Law telling her not to tell my Mom because she would have a fit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe little snippets here and there from like 4 or 5 years old.

Remember when my older brother and his friends decided to go to a beach on a little lagoon off the river near our house and I tagged along. In the middle of the  lagoon there was a half-sunken ship with it's nose sticking out of the water. People would swim out there, climb around on it, dive off, whatever. So ofcourse we decide to swim out there too.

About halfway there, I start getting tired and struggling to stay above water and start panicking. My brother swims over to help, but I'm pretty much in full freak-out mode at that point and just start dragging him down with me. Eventually I guess some older kid saw us and swam out to help. Dragged me back to shore. My brother swam back on his own. And all's well that ends well. I spent the rest of the day closer to shore where my feet could touch the bottom.
My brother made me promise that our parents were to never hear anything of what happened or it'd be his ass.

Never did get to check out that ship...
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Going to see Batman in 1989.   I was four.   I was used to the Adam West campy Batman.   I was definitely in for a surprise.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Being terrified by jets at an airshow. I found out a few years ago I was three at the time. The jets were the Thunderbirds' F-16s.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember the 1st house I lived at until 4/yo.  The floor plan, how the kitchen looked.  Remember seeing the giant hi tension power lines that ran through the field behind the neighborhood.  Playing in the grass in the front yard etc, my dad planting tress and shit.  Good memories, then I remember moving into the house I grew up in until I moved out in my early 20's.  I remember my pops backing up the biggest U-haul I'd ever seen thinking "My dad is such a cool MF, he even knows how to drive giant ass trucks"
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:21:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brownbomber] [#25]
The earliest memory I can correlate to a verifiable event was age 3, when my mom brought my newborn baby-brother home from the hospital.

I have other memories that I think might be older than that, but can't confirm.  I don't remember his presence in those allegedly older memories.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember being in a crib
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I can remember riding on my dad's shoulders, guess that would have been when I was 2-3 years old. Great times!
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#28]
A lot of brief flashes of the old apartment in Brooklyn, holding my dog when she was a puppy, etc, but my earliest complete or most vivid memory I was at 18 months old and laying in my bed. My grandmother was visiting from Ireland and came in to turn off the light. I told her, "No leave it" and she ran out, apparently startled that I could talk so well. And I can remember her telling my mother in her Irish brogue, "He told me to leave it on! And he's just a babbee" It was the only time my grandmother visited America and even though I had met her earlier when my parents took me there as a newborn, it's the only real memory I have of her.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I think my 1st memory is of my dad fussing me out and taking my fishing rod away and making me sit in the sun alone on the pier for the rest of the day after a fish fell off my hook at Atlantic beach. He was an asshole. Took me most of my life to get over the damage he did to me as a child.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:22:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottsGT] [#30]
I was 2-4 yo.  Air Force brat.  Dad got stationed at Hunter AFB in Savannah GA. I vaguely remember being in the back yard and hearing a loud sound coming from the woods just on the other side of the fence. It was probably jet airplanes taking off at the base nearby.  But I remember asking Mom what that sound was.  She told me it was monsters that lived in the woods and I was to never go back there or they would get me.
Yea, that’s just one of the ways she fucked up my childhood.  

That was the earliest memory I have.  In ‘66 we moved to Scott AFB, IL. That’s when I started having more experiences I can remember.  Good and bad.  We left there in Dec. ‘69.  I do remember building my first model airplane somewhere in that time period, but cannot remember what it was.

I forgot a strange memory I had that I realized was my grandfather that I don’t remember. He died in ‘66 or ‘67.  But this was long before that.  I have a vague memory of being in the kitchen with mom, him and my grandmother at her house. He was working on the kitchen light fixture and told me to NOT touch the switch.  Of course I was a kid and he thought twice about it.  I then remember him placing electrical tape over the switch and covering it up so I wouldn’t shock him.

Another time was at their home (Spartanburg SC) and I was playing in their old car and in the trunk where they left it open after a grocery store run.  I remember it was somewhat like an early ‘53 Chevy.  But it was under an old live oak tree.  They came out yelling at me for playing in the car and I might get trapped in the trunk.
But if I’m ever out walking around live oaks and get the scent of the decaying live oak leaves and soil, I have an instant flashback to that day.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#31]
We moved a lot when I was a kid so I have a pretty good memory of how old I was when we lived here or there.

I was less than 3-years old and I remember a couple of events from that location +60 years later. The original memory is gone but the memory of the memory remains.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, the first thing I knew ole Jed's a Millionaire.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Wolfy42:
I remember events and places from about late 2yo to early 3yo.  Pretty much remember most stuff after that.  But my earliest memories start about then.
View Quote

I remember my 3rd birthday party. Only one I ever had. There were five of us kids. I can remember the house and all about the property we lived on. We moved from there when I was five. Many decades ago.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I was Cleopatra.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Three.  Seeing my big brothers (11) body shaped hole in the gypsum board after my Dad threw him into the wall at our Craig AFB home in Selma.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I remember something pounding against my head and a muffled voice yelling”Oh yeah, just like that right there”!

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Fell down some stairs when I was about 2
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By somedudefromhouston:
My earliest was the JFK assassination, all the women in my life were crying for days, the funeral procession is a vivid memory along with the famous salute by Jr.  I was 3 1/2 years old.
View Quote

Remember it well.  I was four and sitting on my Mom’s lap.  I was crying because she was crying.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I was 3 and I do remember the JFK assasination and the funeral.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I remember my mother holding me up by my armpits in front of our first TV in the first apartment.  Black and White television and watching the final men walk on the moon. I remember it because the way she was holding me hurt, and I started screaming.

I was 11 weeks old.  

I remember my dad had chipmunk pets. They would run up on to my shoulder and eat nuts. I was told they died before I was 1 year old.  I remember them climbing up on my baby chair when I was eating, and they'd help me eat my peas.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:45:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Square66] [#41]
Our country’s bicentennial.  Red white and blue everywhere and fireworks.  

Also a chemical plant that exploded one night a few miles away.   Shook the whole house.   San Gabriel Valley, CA.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I have bits and pieces where I know I was young, but I'm not sure I can place before or after this one event; but I can place that one for certain.  I was two years old, it was my mom's birthday, we were at the Lucky's grocery store in Atascadero, CA.  My sister flipped a shopping cart over on me while my mom was writing a check for the groceries.  The store manager drove us to the hospital in his truck.  My lower lip was split all the way in half, and I had to have reconstructive plastic surgery to put it together.  Something like 12 micro sutures.

One of my coworkers told me that she remembers the car crash she and her mom were in when she was 3.  Her mom died in the crash.  She says that her therapist has told her it's impossible for her to remember anything from when she was that young, but I believe her.  It is certainly possible to form memories that early, especially if they are traumatic.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Earliest memory for me is Mom bathing me in an enamelware dishpan in the kitchen sink.  We lived in a small 2nd story apartment in a multifamily house, and I remember looking out of the window at the surroundings while bathing.  I was probably <14 months old at the time.  Went back to see the house as an adult and it looks familiar.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Three years old, on the back porch of the house we lived in, playing with my dog….1961

Two years old, sitting on the floor in the same house, rolling the ball back and forth with Lovie the baby sitter, 1960

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I was raised in Central Florida. We had relatives that lived in Jacksonville that we would visit a couple of times a year.  As a toddler (2 or 3) I remember going over those high bridges and my family thinking it was funny as hell to tease me about falling off the bridge.  It was terrifying to me.

To this day I have a fear of driving over high bridges.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#46]
My grandfather before he died and was sick in bed

He died when I was 3 so it had to be at that age or before
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#47]
The off-ivory-colored, one-speaker radio in my friend's basement.  The door heading outside.  The sky with scattered, fluffy, summertime clouds.

I remember the heavy coarse weave, the depth of the texture, of the brown and beige fabric covering the speaker, listening to news come over the radio about Elvis's death.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I remember being not quite able to walk.
We had some cheap kitchen chairs made with legs in an "X" pattern, with a wing nut holding them together.
My parents told me many times not to crawl under them, so naturally I did.
I bumped my head, tore my scalp a bit. I reached up to where it hurt, and my hand came back with red stuff on it.
That's when I realized what it was like to bleed.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I remember the front page of the newspaper when Kennedy was shot. I was almost 2.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#50]
2 1/2 years old  I am sitting in a high chair, it is 1972 and the news came on the black and white tv in our kitchen.  The report was about some event in Vietnam. I remember my mother crying.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top