Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/25/2024 6:14:33 PM EDT
By Bill Kirk, Washington Gun Law.

Good info. on what to do to protect yourself after a lawful self-defense shooting.

I attend his self-defense law class once a year. Last year, I asked him what to do in a self-defense situation in the home, when using a long gun or not wearing a holster, if the perp is down but not out, to avoid getting shot by the police. I don't want to be holding a firearm when the cops come in the front door and I don't want to set it down anywhere in case the perp makes a grab for it. The answer? When the cops show up but before they enter the home, put it on the floor and stand on it. The retired police officer who was the co-instructor agreed.

What To Do and Not Do Immediately Following a Self-Defense Shooting
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't watched the video yet, but I'm guessing taking pictures like this is frowned upon?

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lighthammer72:
Haven't watched the video yet, but I'm guessing taking pictures like this is frowned upon?

https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/btth/images/premium-buck-deer.jpg
View Quote

I think that would qualify under the "Don't mess with the evidence" portion of his talk.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]

View Quote

Nice rack, by the way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If not in a riot area attempt to render some kind of aid...malice is a helluva thing to jurors

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
And don't forget:

1.  Don't talk to the cops

2.  See rule 1.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember asking my CPL instructor 25-28 years ago during a Q&A session if it was okay to just use a toe tag on someone if I was running late for work or something. The room lost it, he stood there was his mouth open not believing what he was hearing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I approve
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:43:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#8]
Do NOT CALL AND TALK TO 911.

The cops run it and record everything.

If you shoot an attacker, and they're able to throw THEIR gun under a house, DO NOT TELL THE COPS WHERE IT IS.

If the stress of the event causes you serious health problems, DO NOT TELL THE COPS OR EMS.  They work together.

If the cops arrive and ask, "which way did they run?", DO NOT ANSWER THEM.

If someone else is hurt, a family member has been shot, or your neighbor is bleeding out in the garage, DO NOT TALK TO THE COPS.

Even if you think you should tell them you are calling your lawyer before anything else happens, DO NOT TELL THEM.  THEY'RE COPS.

These are the SMART things to do after a self defense shooting because GD SAID SO.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Repeat after me: i was in fear for my life.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By solid:
View Quote

I will answer questions with my lawyer present. No lawyer on planet earth will be happy with you having diarrhea of the mouth. Shut your pie hole until you get competent legal representation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Officer will you tell the court what you observed when you arrived on the scene. Yes sir I observed Mr.Jones sitting on the floor he appeared to be upset repeating the same phrase over and over. And what was he saying Officer?

“I thought he was going to kill me” “I thought he was going to kill me” “I thought he was going to kill me”
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:55:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#12]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By doc540:

If you shoot an attacker, and they're able to throw THEIR gun under a house, DO NOT TELL THE COPS WHERE IT IS.

If the stress of the event causes you serious health problems, DO NOT TELL THE COPS OR EMS.  They work together.

If someone else is hurt, a family member has been shot, or your neighbor is bleeding out in the garage, DO NOT TALK TO THE COPS.

Even if you think you should tell them you are calling your lawyer before anything else happens, DO NOT TELL THEM.  THEY'RE COPS.

These are the SMART things to do after a self defense shooting because GD SAID SO.  
View Quote

You really had me going until the last line. Well done, Sir!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:

I will answer questions with my lawyer present. No lawyer on planet earth will be happy with you having diarrhea of the mouth. Shut your pie hole until you get competent legal representation.
View Quote

I had a lawyer years ago who had two rate structures. One for clients who did not talk to the cops and a second one, two-and-a-half times higher, for clients who did talk to the cops. I thought it was sheer genius as a way of motivating his client to keep their mouths shut.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I know three people who had to get it on as victims or robbery.

One didn’t stick around. The next day detectives knocked on his door to return his wallet and watch and told him to have a nice day. That was the end of it.

Another was an attempted car jacking at knifepoint. The victim shot the turd multiple times and drove away with a steak knife stuck in his thigh. He called his buddy whose dad is a doctor. Dad took care of the injury. That was the end of it. Cops never talked to him.

Another friend was mugged by two guys. One had a pistol grip shotgun. He shot both of them. Called the police and one of those self defense insurance companies that he had prepaid. One of the well known ones. The police cuffed him and put him in a cage car and took him to the police station. He said they were very polite to him and advised him not to say anything until his lawyer arrived. They did not question him. When the lawyer arrived he was released. No charges were filed. He went home the same day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Headless_T_Gunner:
I know three people who had to get it on as victims or robbery.

One didn’t stick around. The next day detectives knocked on his door to return his wallet and watch and told him to have a nice day. That was the end of it.

Another was an attempted car jacking at knifepoint. The victim shot the turd multiple times and drove away with a steak knife stuck in his thigh. He called his buddy whose dad is a doctor. Dad took care of the injury. That was the end of it. Cops never talked to him.

Another friend was mugged by two guys. One had a pistol grip shotgun. He shot both of them. Called the police and one of those self defense insurance companies that he had prepaid. One of the well known ones. The police cuffed him and put him in a cage car and took him to the police station. He said they were very polite to him and advised him not to say anything until his lawyer arrived. They did not question him. When the lawyer arrived he was released. No charges were filed. He went home the same day.
View Quote

I like hearing that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By xCLAYBUSTERx:
I remember asking my CPL instructor 25-28 years ago during a Q&A session if it was okay to just use a toe tag on someone if I was running late for work or something. The room lost it, he stood there was his mouth open not believing what he was hearing.
View Quote

What's interesting is that 25-28 years later, you still share that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I know of a dozen shootings where people talked to police without a lawyer.

Never charged, never arrested, never handcuffed.

It depends on your location. NYC that is probably superb advice.

And no, repeating “I was in fear for my life” because a 12 year old went into your yard to get his ball ain’t some magical spell to avoid charges.

Obviously each scenario is different but a guy who kicked in your door to burglarize and catches a 55grain Com is a bit different than chasing down kids who egged your house.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
I know of a dozen shootings where people talked to police without a lawyer.

Never charged, never arrested, never handcuffed.

It depends on your location. NYC that is probably superb advice.

And no, repeating “I was in fear for my life” because a 12 year old went into your yard to get his ball ain’t some magical spell to avoid charges.

Obviously each scenario is different but a guy who kicked in your door to burglarize and catches a 55grain Com is a bit different than chasing down kids who egged your house.

View Quote

What if the little bastards are russians?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By McGuy:

View Quote

Immaterial.

You don’t shoot people over non violent crimes.

Just like when dozens of Russians crossed the border illegall..they go through ice processing like everyone else
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By staringback05:
If not in a riot area attempt to render some kind of aid...malice is a helluva thing to jurors

View Quote
CPR theater to pump the rest of the blood out of them.  Good call.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

This is solid advice. Never tell the cops anything. You don’t want them thinking you just murdered someone. Stand there next to the dead body and don’t say anything. That’s not suspicious, it’s your right as an American.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Immaterial.

Just like when dozens of Russians crossed the border illegall..they go through ice processing like everyone else
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By McGuy:

Immaterial.

Correction. *you* don't shoot people over nonviolent crimes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#24]
High fiving the cops and signing that you got a CONUS kill is likely a bad thing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#25]
I realize the post above was in jest (or assume it was), but let me just repeat the part about not talking to EMS (or any medical people including the ER staff) about the shooting other than what is directly related to their part of the situation, i.e. do tell them any and all injuries you have or think you may have, do tell them any medical history, your meds and allergies, etc.  Some EMS people are great, most are normal people, and far more than you'd think are scumbags who may be excited to help jam you up or may unintentionally say something stupid when interviewed by the cops or called to the witness stand.  

I purposefully do not ask about the shooting other than as it directly relates to my job- when the cops or a lawyer asks what you said in my presence I am not going to perjure myself for you.  All I want to say is that you told me about any injuries, your health history, etc. and how I dealt with those.  I'm not your priest, I have no idea how the situation looks to the cops (even if it's glaringly obvious), I'm not going to make any assumptions and I definitely don't want you saying something that I may have to relay that may cause you problems (unless you're the bad guy in the situation).  The only two exception I can think of off the top of my head are a description of the bad guy that may help the cops catch the bad guy quicker if he got away or if there's a chance you're not going to make it and relaying information may somehow help.  

If you start talking, I will advise you that my paperwork is going to get reviewed, I will be interviewed by the cops as to what you said in my presence and I may get subpoenaed to testify in court so you need to stop talking to anyone about the events until you talk to your lawyer- especially before giving any statements.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#26]
They should also tell the first police officer that shows up “This was my first shooting officer how did I do? Followed by he had it coming)!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By CAsoldier:

This is solid advice. Never tell the cops anything. You don’t want them thinking you just murdered someone. Stand there next to the dead body and don’t say anything. That’s not suspicious, it’s your right as an American.
View Quote

GD Legal Services approved
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
I realize the post above was in jest (or assume it was), but let me just repeat the part about not talking to EMS (or any medical people including the ER staff) about the shooting other than what is directly related to their part of the situation, i.e. do tell them any and all injuries you have or think you may have, do tell them any medical history, your meds and allergies, etc.  Some EMS people are great, most are normal people, and far more than you'd think are scumbags who may be excited to help jam you up or may unintentionally say something stupid when interviewed by the cops or called to the witness stand.  

I purposefully do not ask about the shooting other than as it directly relates to my job- when the cops or a lawyer asks what you said in my presence I am not going to perjure myself for you.  All I want to say is that you told me about any injuries, your health history, etc. and how I dealt with those.  I'm not your priest, I have no idea how the situation looks to the cops (even if it's glaringly obvious), I'm not going to make any assumptions and I definitely don't want you saying something that I may have to relay that may cause you problems (unless you're the bad guy in the situation).  The only two exception I can think of off the top of my head are a description of the bad guy that may help the cops catch the bad guy quicker if he got away or if there's a chance you're not going to make it and relaying information may somehow help.  

If you start talking, I will advise you that my paperwork is going to get reviewed, I will be interviewed by the cops as to what you said in my presence and I may get subpoenaed to testify in court so you need to stop talking to anyone about the events until you talk to your lawyer- especially before giving any statements.
View Quote

Solid advice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin72] [#30]
You guys haven't seen STFU Fridays?

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Don’t do this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alwaysright] [#32]
Came across this and thought it was interesting.

Massad Ayoob Explains Why You Should Make A Brief Statement.

https://youtube.com/shorts/kS0LDEUO0x4?si=99w1wX9JNkisA6-Y

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Florida members: don't follow legal advice from a non-Florida lawyer. Instead figure out who is a knowledgeable self defense criminal attorney in your area or region. Schedule some time with that attorney to talk about do's and don't's based on his or her experience in Florida courtrooms with Florida law and SAOs near you. Maybe even offer to pay for 30 minutes or and hour for this conversation. Maybe cost you $150 or so for 30 minutes.

You'll learn a lot more practical information than a video by an attorney who doesn't know what an information is or the various types of SYG defenses allowed by statute, case law, and the rules of criminal procedure.

This is not meant to disparage what the video in the OP says. It's just not Florida law. That's your pro-bono minute.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

View Quote

People who don't want to wind up sharing a prison cell with other murderers don't.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By solid:

Depends on the situation and client. I have a friend who spoke to the police without an attorney present after he spoke with me and another attorney (I was out of town, so I passed him to someone who could show up at the jail if need be). Worked out well for him.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

So, elderly people who can't run or fight should wait until the crime becomes violent?

Sounds like an excellent idea.

Tell me how that works.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#37]

So, elderly people who can't run or fight should wait until the crime becomes violent?

Tell me how that works.

Thanks
View All Quotes

Tell me how that works.

Thanks
Don't advocate something this potentially stupid. Disparity of force is grounds for common law self defense and SYG in Florida. However, there has to be a legitimate fear of the requisite level of force/harm (at least in Florida).
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 103:
Don't advocate something this potentially stupid. Disparity of force is grounds for common law self defense and SYG in Florida. However, there has to be a legitimate fear of the requisite level of force/harm (at least in Florida).
View Quote

I'm in Texas, but I'm interested in Florida law, too.

In Florida is "disparity of force" grounds for the use of deadly force for self defense?

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

That's what they did with Pablo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#40]
That is the most retarded advice ever.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:54:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56xdx_Z] [#41]
"I was the victim of a crime"
"I must speak to my lawyer  before  telling you what that crime was"

seems like the lawyers know that you will tell the police your story no matter what they say, and by drilling that into peoples heads, they are reducing the amount you'll talk.

If you fuck up and say something like "He disrespected me", even if that was part of the backstory and not pertinent to the shooting, some DA can use it out of context. The more  you talk, the more a borderline low IQ DA whose dad wasn't a big enough freemason to send him to fed school can copy paste stuff  out of order. That phrase is exactly what nailed Chai Vang in wisconsin. But I think you would still need  to tell the police how you were the victim of a crime, without story telling
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:58:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 103] [#42]

In Florida is "disparity of force" grounds for the use of deadly force for self defense?

View All Quotes

Read what I wrote. Short answer is yes.

I once worked a SD claim shooting case in tandem with another prosecutor (back when I was one). A weighed about tripled of B. A had knocked B down onto a curb and was standing over B ready to (presumably) curb stomp B. B shot A.

We both agreed as soon as we saw to scale pictures of A and B that is was a good shoot based on disparity of force and the reasonable belief by B that A was about to use deadly force.

If A and B had been evenly matched, the scenario would likely have played out differently.

ETA: A survived. We prosecuted him for simple battery (a misdemeanor).
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Read what I wrote. Short answer is yes.

I once worked a SD claim shooting case in tandem with another prosecutor (back when I was one). A weighed about tripled of B. A had knocked B down onto a curb and was standing over B ready to (presumably) curb stomp B. B shot A.

We both agreed as soon as we saw to scale pictures of A and B that is was a good shoot based on disparity of force and the reasonable belief by B that A was about to use deadly force.

If A and B had been evenly matched, the scenario would likely have played out differently.

ETA: A survived. We prosecuted him for simple battery (a misdemeanor).
View Quote

I did read what you wrote and didn't understand it.  That's why I asked the question.

And I couldn't find a sarcasm emoji when I replied to "iwouldntknow's" post above.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

ROTFL

Thanks for the laugh, needed that
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#45]
STFU and call CCW safe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#46]
The Sheriff Deputy that taught my NC CHP class said if you are involved in a shooting to make sure your story is the only one to be heard meaning that you shoot to kill. He also said other than making the statement that you were in fear for your life not to say anything with out your attorney present
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

What's wrong with that deer?  He don't look too good.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread again.

Basically, shut the fuck up, and don't be there when the police get there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
By Bill Kirk, Washington Gun Law.

Good info. on what to do to protect yourself after a lawful self-defense shooting.

I attend his self-defense law class once a year. Last year, I asked him what to do in a self-defense situation in the home, when using a long gun or not wearing a holster, if the perp is down but not out, to avoid getting shot by the police. I don't want to be holding a firearm when the cops come in the front door and I don't want to set it down anywhere in case the perp makes a grab for it. The answer? When the cops show up but before they enter the home, put it on the floor and stand on it. The retired police officer who was the co-instructor agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEaUxiVAhJ4
View Quote

I have a customer that was represented by Kirk. He was the lawyer that was provided by the Concealed Carry Association type CCW insurance.

The shooter was a bouncer at a bar in Spokane and was jumped by 3 guys he was escorting out. One pulled a knife and got himself vented.

The bouncer had nothing but great things to say about Kirk. The WA legal system, not so much. He said without Kirk he would probably still be in jail.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Situation is flawed—“if he is down and not out”
Make sure he is down AND out
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top