Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2024 4:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BHD44]
Whats the best tig welder for mild steel 1/16"- 1/4".. Doing light to medium fabrication, 110 is fine for mobility. Welding up brackets, occasional garden gates, plate, tubing & small metal crafts. Looking at spending up to $1000 for machine, electrodes, argon tank. I do mig but id like to tack and weld a bead on smaller parts without having to clamp the parts down all the time. I want something with a good warranty and good customer service.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a lot to want for $1,000.

Two different types of welders for aluminum vs steel or stainless. Different gases for each process too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
That's a lot to want for $1,000.

Two different types of welders for aluminum vs steel or stainless. Different gases for each process too.
View Quote

Mainly just mild steel right now. I would add on for aluminum and stainless later on.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Op....

Google....then enter .....ar15.com forum tig welder

There will be at least 2-3 dozen threads.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If used, I'd probably be looking for a square wave 175.  AC/DC, has pedal, pretty solid box.  Little light on amperage to do much aluminum, but in a sweet spot for steel.

If new, that Primeweld 200 might be OK for $750.  Just add gas and filler.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#5]
Originally Posted By BHD44:
Whats the best tig welder for mild steel 1/16"- 1/4".. Doing light to medium fabrication, 110 is fine for mobility. Welding up brackets, occasional garden gates, plate, tubing & small metal crafts. Looking at spending up to $1000 for machine, electrodes, argon tank. I do mig but id like to tack and weld a bead on smaller parts without having to clamp the parts down all the time. I want something with a good warranty and good customer service.
View Quote

120v limits you to... maybe 60 amps at most before you're really challenging your breaker.   I guess it would be fine for tacking, but you'd want 220V for actual fabbing, especially with aluminum.

Primeweld has good customer support, and will do 120/240.  It's not unheard of for their machines to die a crib death, but they just send you a new machine immediately and have you ship the old one back (on their dime).
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I keep an eye on Facebook marketplace, this popped up local to me: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/740505544272922/

If you’re serious I’d check it out and ship it to you.  I have the box from mine so it would pack up very nicely for shipping.  
I think those are $2400 now!  That’s an unusually good deal, I’ve never seen anything local that is cheaper for that much capability.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#7]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
I keep an eye on Facebook marketplace, this popped up local to me: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/740505544272922/

If you're serious I'd check it out and ship it to you.  I have the box from mine so it would pack up very nicely for shipping.  
I think those are $2400 now!  That's an unusually good deal, I've never seen anything local that is cheaper for that much capability.
View Quote
That, a cheapo water cooler and a CK20 would do a LOT of homeowner work.  

Just checked the specs...for $1000 I think that machine would be very hard to beat.  AC/DC, 115/230v, modern, features.  If it comes with the factory Lincoln pedal (K-870) you're in tall cotton.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
Just checked the specs...for $1000 I think that machine would be very hard to beat.  AC/DC, 115/230v, modern, features.  If it comes with the factory Lincoln pedal (K-870) you're in tall cotton.
View Quote

Yes, I have one and it’s awesome for the price I paid.  

In the picture it only shows the 120v power cable, don’t know if the 240v power cable comes with it.  Cheap to make or buy though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:36:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#9]

Yes, I have one and it's awesome for the price I paid.  

In the picture it only shows the 120v power cable, don't know if the 240v power cable comes with it.  Cheap to make or buy though.
View Quote
Surprised it's not like my Invertec with the L5-15 main cord and 2 pigtails.  Regardless, real easy to fix.

Amyhow- OP that's a great setup.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Surprised it's not like my Invertec with the L5-15 main cord and 2 pigtails.  Regardless, real easy to fix.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes, I have one and it's awesome for the price I paid.  

In the picture it only shows the 120v power cable, don't know if the 240v power cable comes with it.  Cheap to make or buy though.

Thanks for the heads up.  I think I’m going with the primeweld unit. Per the warranty, customer service etc.

Thanks for the recs guys.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Primeweld is hard to beat.  Best costumer service.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the heads up.  I think I’m going with the primeweld unit. Per the warranty, customer service etc.
View Quote

You said you already had a mig and want an ac/dc tig.  Now you say you’re getting a dc only tig/mig combo welder?  

That primeweld doesn’t have HF start and it doesn’t include a pedal.   You’ll want both of those after the first week.  

Harbor freight has their “pro tig 165” on sale for $500.  Dc tig with foot pedal, hf start, and good warranty support.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#13]

You said you already had a mig and want an ac/dc tig.  Now you say you're getting a dc only tig/mig combo welder?  

That primeweld doesn't have HF start and it doesn't include a pedal.   You'll want both of those after the first week.  

Harbor freight has their "pro tig 165" on sale for $500.  Dc tig with foot pedal, hf start, and good warranty support.  
View Quote
I didn't even know that NOT having an HF start was a thing these days.  Not a deal breaker, scratch start is a great technique to learn.

Tip- the scratch has nothing to do with the tungsten.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:27:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#14]
I didn't even know that NOT having an HF start was a thing these days.  Not a deal breaker, scratch start is a great technique to learn.

View All Quotes

You said you already had a mig and want an ac/dc tig.  Now you say you're getting a dc only tig/mig combo welder?  

That primeweld doesn't have HF start and it doesn't include a pedal.   You'll want both of those after the first week.  

Harbor freight has their "pro tig 165" on sale for $500.  Dc tig with foot pedal, hf start, and good warranty support.  

That must be their mig machine that also does tig.  (Jack of all trades- master of none) Their tig machines have HF..
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Lots of the lower end “multiprocess” machines don’t have HF because they are just a mig machine with the added feature of a way to hook up a tig torch.  
Lots of the ultra cheap inverter stick welders are in the same situation - they’re just a dc power supply.  

It’s why I pointed it out - op wants a tig but he’s buying a mig that “can tig”.  
It does lift start which is better than scratch start, but both are incredibly annoying unless there is a reason you can use HF.  
Also, no pedal is a terrible idea unless there is a specific reason you can’t use a pedal.  

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#16]

You said you already had a mig and want an ac/dc tig.  Now you say you’re getting a dc only tig/mig combo welder?  

That primeweld doesn’t have HF start and it doesn’t include a pedal.   You’ll want both of those after the first week.  

Harbor freight has their “pro tig 165” on sale for $500.  Dc tig with foot pedal, hf start, and good warranty support.  
View All Quotes

That being said.  The pro tig 165 is discontinued.  Should I just find a dedicated tig welder ? I know having a multipurpose machine owning a mig already seems redundant.  But I can sell the mig and keep the prime as my go to.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Should I just find a dedicated tig welder ? I know having a multipurpose machine owning a mig already seems redundant.  But I can sell the mig and keep the prime as my go to.
View Quote

You need to define what you need and/or what you want.  

You already said you wanted one thing and later said you were getting something that did not have the capabilities you said you wanted.  How can anybody give advice if you don’t state what it is that you want?  

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]

It does lift start which is better than scratch start,
View Quote
I've never run lift arc, only scratch and HF.  What does lift do that separates it from scratch?  

Touch torch to work, then lift and the machine has a delay to start the arc do there's no contamination?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:37:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetShooter2] [#19]
take that first thousand and just buy the machine
and pick up other items as you can , there are always
good deals to be had , just have the money so when they
pop up , look at market place , craigs list and local auctions .

after I traded my Eastwood tig off , I went with this one

https://primeweld.com/products/tig-225x-ac-dc-tig-welder?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20-%20TM%20-%20Products&utm_term=Primeweld%20225&utm_content=Primeweld%20225

this is my $45.00 HF cart i used for the tig machine

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I know it is 3 months late (almost 4) and I’d say for )1,000 the Tig 200 from Harbor Freight will be where you want to spend $1,000 on just a machine.  High frequency must be popular, it does AC/DC so you can grow with the machine, and CURRENTLY it is $900 with a 15% off machine.
A bottle of gas will cost as much as you want to spend. Practice material won’t be cheap either. I bought a bottle size larger than I thought I needed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ske714:
Primeweld is hard to beat.  Best costumer service.
View Quote

I am Primeweld believer as well. Had mine a few years now and it is n awesome machine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:47:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: harrymank] [#22]
Syncrowave 350 transformer machine. It’s as big as a Honda Civic, should last for years.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:02:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ske714] [#23]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

I know it is 3 months late (almost 4) and I’d say for )1,000 the Tig 200 from Harbor Freight will be where you want to spend $1,000 on just a machine.  High frequency must be popular, it does AC/DC so you can grow with the machine, and CURRENTLY it is $900 with a 15% off machine.
A bottle of gas will cost as much as you want to spend. Practice material won’t be cheap either. I bought a bottle size larger than I thought I needed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

Gas bottle tip: A 120cf tank cost $100 more than an 80cf tank, but only costs $6 more to fill.   You'll get your $100 back in 3 refills.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ske714:

Gas bottle tip: A 120cf tank cost $100 more than an 80cf tank, but only costs $6 more to fill.   You'll get your $100 back in 3 refills.
View Quote

I took this to the extreme when I buying one and bought a 300cf from a welder who was retiring. Blank neck ring and gave me a receipt for it.  Real cheap.  0/5 stars. Huge PITA to move around. Got a lot of hassle trying to get it filled too. Only nice thing is I haven't had to fill it but once lol

Don't be me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been shopping for an AC/DC TIG as well. AHP and Primeweld were my top two contenders.  Pretty sure I'm going to go with the Primeweld over the AHP.  I've tried calling AHP twice now and never spoke with anyone. The Primeweld also comes with an actual CK worldwide torch and is packaged better.

Warranties are "identical" now. But when I asked Primeweld about support outside of warranty period the guy I spoke with said,"even outside of the warranty period 9x out of 10 we send you the part and just ask you to cover the shipping.  The 1 out of 10 send us the machine and we will fix it.". I fell pretty good about that personally. I doubt I'll kill the machine with my hobbyist uses.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Mainly just mild steel right now. I would add on for aluminum and stainless later on.
View Quote

That's not really how it works. Steel and stainless can be done with relatively cheap dc machines. Aluminum is going to need an AC capable machine and some other features that will roughly double the price. You don't just "add it on later".
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#27]
+1 for Primeweld. My 225 has really been used a lot over the last few months. I've gotten it to where I can stick two pieces of metal together fairly well, and I'm proud enough of some of my welds that I display them in public.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By harrymank:
Syncrowave 350 transformer machine. It’s as big as a Honda Civic, should last for years.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/476557/63FA0068-03A7-4B31-8BC6-A454D9F67B3D-3004471.jpg
View Quote

I have a 350LX I picked up a number of years ago for a steal. Had to get a new hose/torch for it last year.

It was a bit of a learning curve going from an old square wave, but I’m getting used to it. Tuning the cleaning wave took the longest to get right for me.

Very happy with it
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrZeat] [#29]
Can vouch for the Primeweld 225, good unit. Very good tech support, had an issue out of the box with the display on my first unit and they sent me a new one right away without any drama.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top