Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2024 9:14:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredsaint]
So these are made in the USA, saw a few reviews but for that cost it comes in many, many parts and screws, you should think a lot of it would be already part-assembled or welded for stability.

https://www.vyperindustrial.com/products/robust-steel-max?variant=39663172354213

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've looked at these multiple times for my shop but as much as I spend money on shit, just never could quite pull the trigger on them. I've heard nothing but good reviews but each time I take another look at them the price has gone even higher, value proposition just doesn't pencil out...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Justintime2:
I've looked at these multiple times for my shop but as much as I spend money on shit, just never could quite pull the trigger on them. I've heard nothing but good reviews but each time I take another look at them the price has gone even higher, value proposition just doesn't pencil out...
View Quote
same here, i guess my thing is all those bolts and parts, reminds me of cheap Chinese crap that's all dissembled in a flat box. but i guess they can make the excuse that you can replace parts easier that way too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:43:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C2Installs] [#3]
$50 in parts, $200 in marketing. Looks great in tool influencer vids and car collector IG shots. Rolls best on epoxied floors….

Yeah, no. Unless you’re making bank in your shop sitting on your butt, not sure how a $500 chair helps.  I have an Aeron in my home office (remote worker) and a stool in the shop.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#4]
lol...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like the ICON rolling chairs. Wait until they go on sale though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I've looked at them multiple times..  I need something really beefy to support my 325lb fat ass, as I've broken a lot of the HF/cheap ass roller stools..

I just can't do it...  If it was in the $250 area, yup, I'd treat myself.  I'm just a weekend warrior and tinkerer, Not making money with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I use a 5 gallon bucket
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#8]
You can get the same thing, from Harbor Freight, and still have $450.00 left over.

I don't get the thought of wanting to spend huge amounts on "designer" product when something far cheaper does the same thing, and normally better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By USP10MM686:
I really like the ICON rolling chairs. Wait until they go on sale though.
View Quote
This one?

https://www.harborfreight.com/brands/icon/shop-equipment-lighting/professional-adjustable-shop-seat-with-tool-storage-red-58449.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tveddy:
I use a 5 gallon bucket
View Quote

This.   But I don’t have a lift so most of the time I’m just sitting or laying on the floor.  I have a creeper that folds into a rolling chair if I ever really need a chair.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#12]
What are guys doing sitting down in a shop? Honest question. I’ve been in a shop for 20 years, never had a time I though “man this would easier if I could sit at a slightly elevated height”
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By maslin02:
What are guys doing sitting down in a shop? Honest question. I’ve been in a shop for 20 years, never had a time I though “man this would easier if I could sit at a slightly elevated height”
View Quote

At home when you don't have a lift.

And no, I don't have a $500 chair.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:32:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#14]
It's literally clown colored.

And it's got clown feet. Holy hell that's a wide stance and huge wheels.

WTF.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:39:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#16]
You can buy those fancy nylon sealed bearing scooter wheels on Amazon for a LOT less than you'd think, and put them on ANY office chair you like

They'll roll over anything, cords, cables, hoses, gravel

My cats hate them
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#18]
10% off right now.  Some tools make my life easier and for that reason alone they are worth every penny, we’ll see if this is one of them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:52:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: contract] [#19]
I have one that's been sitting outside for awhile while we moved. Bought it brand new, then a full garage of junk = never got to use it.

I'll sell it to anyone for $250 shipped.

It's the black leather version: https://www.vyperindustrial.com/collections/vyper-chairs/products/robust-steel-max

PM me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#20]
It'll still stop when you hit a random bolt on the ground..
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:54:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#21]
Originally Posted By kpel308:
For that money, spend some more and get a PPT Human Hoist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ68kjRMHys
View Quote

Like, how much more? I bet that thing is 5 grand or more.

You know it's bad when you have to fill out a form to have sales call you to go through your pricing inquiry.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:
You can get the same thing, from Harbor Freight, and still have $450.00 left over.

I don't get the thought of wanting to spend huge amounts on "designer" product when something far cheaper does the same thing, and normally better.
View Quote

oh by no means should he do that, he absolutely should buy these

it increases his status

waaaaaayyyyyy worth it
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
You can buy those fancy nylon sealed bearing scooter wheels on Amazon for a LOT less than you'd think, and put them on ANY office chair you like

They'll roll over anything, cords, cables, hoses, gravel

My cats hate them
View Quote

Weeellll....

Good idea for my shop chair. Pic is not my personal chair, but identical.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Bought a Vyper a couple years ago after being tired of made in chyna crap.  It is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Skunkape71:
I've looked at them multiple times..  I need something really beefy to support my 325lb fat ass, as I've broken a lot of the HF/cheap ass roller stools..

I just can't do it...  If it was in the $250 area, yup, I'd treat myself.  I'm just a weekend warrior and tinkerer, Not making money with it.
View Quote
Torin makes a heavy duty stool, I have one at work.  Not sure where I bought it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I use a 5 gallon bucket
View Quote

DO NOT SIT ON THE TOP AND ALLOW YOUR BALLSACK TO BECOME STUCK INBETWEEN THE LID AND BUCKET!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Freiheit338:
Bought a Vyper a couple years ago after being tired of made in chyna crap.  It is worth it.
View Quote

I have one.

I like it, a lot.

Is it very expensive for a shop stool/chair?

Yes, it is.

Is it "worth it?"

That is subjective...some folks spend big bucks on other things (that they deem worth the cost).

Most cannot fathom spending $600 on a shop stool.

Then again, most cannot fathom spending $100,000.00 on a pickup truck, or a car.

This is the beauty of America:

You can buy a cheap stool/car/truck/AR15/whatever...

or

You can buy one that is expensive.

Whatever floats your boat.

After some consideration, I deemed that my derrière was worth the cost of a Vyper shop stool.

At the end of the day, if you don't love yourself, who the fuck else will?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

You know it's bad when you have to fill out a form to have sales call you to go through your pricing inquiry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Just shy of $20k. They have a motorized one now too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#30]
That’s the dumbest Gucci Lifestyle brand ripoff ever posted here, since BRCC made it’s debut.    Where do you even put the Nuts?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:29:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#31]
$500 represents a different amount for each of us.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

If you want your knees and back to last another 20 years have a think about why you're punishing yourself. I'm guessing you've never built a wiring harness before, or put exhaust wrap on a set of headers whilst standing?

Why would I stand with the hoist all the way up to work on brakes/suspension in a wheel arch when it can be at ground level?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:10:06 PM EDT
[#33]
If I sit in my garage, its either on a 5g bucket or a dirt bike stand...and it's not for long.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
same here, i guess my thing is all those bolts and parts, reminds me of cheap Chinese crap that's all dissembled in a flat box. but i guess they can make the excuse that you can replace parts easier that way too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
Originally Posted By Justintime2:

Airplanes are held together with rivets and bolts...
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I just make the wife get on her knees
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one for play time with the wife.

It's sturdy
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Buy some rollerblade style desk chair wheels off eBay and put them on your normal rolling shop stool.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#38]
....and here I am tooling around on a 40 year old craftsman seat
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:03:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I got one of the ICONS for $75, it's been holding up great and can hold big guys.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I use a 5 gallon bucket
View Quote

You use what you can, with what you have.

I dont have dedicated shop space anymore since having kids.  That space was turned into playroom space for them when covid hit.

I built sort of a cross between roman workbench but instead of regular legs it sits on a set of low Japanese saw horses.  

The top slides under our couch, the saw horses re in the kitchen with a mini work bench top for doing small quick tasks, and doubles as a step stool.

During covid I realized the large top configuration is about perfect for a work out bench, so it also helped towards health and fitness when the gyms were being difficult.  

High priced items like that chair are amazing to look at, functional art.  IME though I can usually design something that while more crude will have far more usefulness because I designed it specifically for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Thats amazing.

I hope they make millions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#42]
They're very nice, I might buy one if/when I wear out my current shop stool, but I really don't use it much.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#43]

That chair is awesome.  It replaced my 5 gallon bucket.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Yea, gonna go with no. I’m on a FB forum for car detailing and they have all sorts of issues with those chairs. Sure, they do stand behind them and fix the problems. But, the best warranty is one you dont have to use. For what they cost there should be no problems or rusted parts! Not worth the price of admission!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#46]

OSHA and insurance companies require 5 wheels on chairs these days.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks nice but my HF mechanic's chair I got on sale for $10 in 2005 still works fine.  No it doesn't get used everyday but I've used it quite a bit over the years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

trailer hubs
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Monsterbishi:

If you want your knees and back to last another 20 years have a think about why you're punishing yourself. I'm guessing you've never built a wiring harness before, or put exhaust wrap on a set of headers whilst standing?

Why would I stand with the hoist all the way up to work on brakes/suspension in a wheel arch when it can be at ground level?
View Quote

I guess it's a hot rod thing then? Our engine harnesses are under the hood and I haven't seen a wrapped exhaust component since that asbestos backed crap in the 80's.

We also have tile floors, I'd be click click clicking everywhere I went, like a constant supply of zipties under the wheels
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#50]
$500 for a garage stool?  Lol... No.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top