Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By OldGlazier:

I'll air down for comfort.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marky244:
I fully agree,  and every time I see a heard of overlanders airing down their tires on a "trail" that I just took my wife's GMC Acadia, and can't help but giggle at them.

I'll air down for comfort.

This.  Why shake your vehicle apart when you can have a much smoother ride?  

I have a stock height jeep on factory size KO2s and I drive mild trails with it.  But some can be full of small cobbles and airing down makes it a lot less of a beating.  

Like others, I don't have to use 4WD.  I've only gotten "stuck" once, and put it in 4WD and drove right out, no problems.  I don't have lockers, and have never disconnected my sway bar.  I do have a factory limited slip rear diff.

All that said, I carry a jack, a shovel, a pick mattock, a 25 foot chain, the winch kit for the jack, some tree savers, shackles, soft shackles, traction boards and some tow straps.  

And, I have a new winch and front bumper in the garage I plan to install one weekend soon. I am doing that for looks mostly.  I will probably never need it, but if I do, it will more than pay for itself versus paying someone to come get me out miles from nowhere.  But mostly it's there to look cool.

I need new tires soon too.  I might go the next size bigger if I can find some like new take-offs from someone who bought a jeep and upgraded immediately.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Chest thumping thread. Hey bro, I go thru 6' of mud everyday because I'm that awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

My KO2s are slippery as fuck on ice.
View Quote
They're worlds better than the BFG MTs that came stock on my JK. I'm a cheap bastard sometimes and ran the MTs for 5 years trying to wear them out before switching to KO2s.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:12:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: watgar] [#5]
Never mind
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Can you pull the rear drive shaft and use 4wd/front wheel drive?
View Quote

He could have, but he barely made it that far with 4WD .
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
They're worlds better than the BFG MTs that came stock on my JK. I'm a cheap bastard sometimes and ran the MTs for 5 years trying to wear them out before switching to KO2s.
View Quote

I agree about the MTs.  Had them on my Rubi, they were OE.  They are good on rocky trails, but the WORST on every other surface.  They wore out at 33k and that was the best day ever.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:

I don’t know what the formal name is - but you build a flip flop lever out of two logs big enough / long enough to give you the necessary mechanical advantage, and then get to work.

It’s a miserable time. I recommend a winch.
View Quote

Step 1: find two big logs....
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By pr24guy:

Yes, several.
You can tie your strap to your wheel and to a tree and try to drive on the strap. As the wheel spins it can wrap around the tire. Another way is to tie a large stick to your tire and as it spins, it will lift your vehicle.  Then there is something like the Bush Winch. It is taken from the military. Military Jeep wheels had a hole in them to put a stick or screwdriver into and wrap a rope around. The other end would be tied to a tree or large object. As the wheel spun it would winch you out. I know of another way using logs end over end, it wraps the strap around them as it pulls your vehicle out.  It really is some good stuff to practice, hope that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AGvdHqaa3s

Edit: I found a video on the Pole Winch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLMBn29IPoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OWMYdGsJSU
View Quote

The Bush Winch is the thing I mentioned previously.  Thanks for finding that.  With open diffs it probably won't work, because the off side (with least traction) will just spin.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

View Quote
In some areas in Wyoming you can be hard pressed to find any trees that are considered "log" worthy.

I haven't bothered with a winch because unless you have a 2nd vehicle or a Winch/Ground anchor there's not much to secure a winch to. A shovel, traction ladders/boards and a jack are more useful.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#11]
In some areas in Wyoming you can be hard pressed to find any trees that are considered "log" worthy.

I haven't bothered with a winch because unless you have a 2nd vehicle or a Winch/Ground anchor there's not much to secure a winch to. A shovel, traction ladders/boards and a jack are more useful.
View All Quotes

Helps to have a friends vehicle to winch off of too
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
Next you're going to say that 4x4 snorkel that was permanently installed after cutting a hole in your fender is not needed for the 2" of water crossed every year.

Or the 300lbs of ARB bumpers that haven't touched brush in years.
View Quote

I've heard of guys getting the snorkel not for water but to pull in cleaner air from higher up, rather than dusty air from lower down, especially if they wheel in groups.  Helps air filters stay cleaner.

Now the number that use it for that vs the number that don't is probably about the same as the number here who build rifles and don't do much with them either vs those that do, so glass houses and all that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a little farm, I have used my winch, both for myself and to help neighbors.

If all you ever drive is on highways and fire roads, you could just take a rental car. Many people do.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KYLiberty] [#14]
Definitely thinking that OP's definition of difficult trails is quite different than ours here in KY/TN. I always love seeing the look on people's faces the first time they go with us on what we only consider to be a moderate ride.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By contract:

Only real gear worth is is a skid plate AND tire chains.

Unpopular opinon.

View Quote

Yeah, it's unpopular because it's wrong.  A winch and traction boards are vital pieces of kit and it doesn't take "super deep mudding" to need either.  Tire chains?  Pfft.

A stock 4x4 is capable of a lot with a decent driver who knows how to pick a line but "this is fine" can turn into "shit, I'm legit stuck" really fast.  Example: I was on a logging trail with packed snow in Montana and met a loaded truck coming the other way.  The only way to let the truck pass was to pull to the side of the trail where the snow was piled deep as fuck and wasn't packed.  My Tacoma was completely stuck with all 4 tires free-rolling against nothing because the frame was resting on the snow.  I grabbed my knock-off MaxTrax out of the bed and drove right out.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I work in the woods and drive on woods roads all the time in stock pickups.

Granted, the off-road crowd gets in some pretty unimproved places, but, as a rule, if you use a little sense and check your route you’d be amazed at what you can get through.

And for the love of god, remove that trailer hitch once you get off the pavement. It boat anchored me on the one.

BI2049 Stuck by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Meh, OP is correct about the waste on those that do it just for the look.   But it is their money.

For those that actually use it,  I would assume the thread isn't aimed at you.

Tons of lifted Rubi's in my area that spend all of their life on pavement.  

My stock Sahara spends 99.9% of its life on pavement, and the other 0.1% on mild trails and fire roads.   I knew that going in, which is why I picked a Sahara with factory LSD.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#18]
OP drives dirt road log trails and thinks he’s off roading and can’t figure out why ppl need recovery gear.

I have a couple of lifted off road Jeeps and can assure you tow straps, tree saves, shackles, and a winch are used and are a relatively inexpensive piece of mind when doing actual off roading.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By contract:
* Unless you're super deep mudding.. OR recovering someone ELSE out for their own mistake.

But it looks cool.

Even the off-road tires are not needed for MOST trails. They absolutely SUCK on frozen/snow conditions.

I've driven a STOCK 4 runner (TRD with factory skid plate but never once used the TRD controls) with $150ish? Cheap Chinese snow tires/stock rims up some of the most difficult trials/highest peaks in CO, NV desert, Utah, AZ, etc, in all weather conditions, including deep snow.

Trails that make most people NOPE the fukk out.

Only real gear worth is is a skid plate AND tire chains.

Unpopular opinon.

But it's SUPER easy to get mislead by all the off road gear sellers. YOU NEED THIS, you NEED THAT, etc.

You really don't.

View Quote

Shoot, just shy of 3 decades of policing including in a rural area in MS, and I can tell you a CVPI can handle most folks off-road needs.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#20]
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:
Eh - I have a few “offroading” things on my Jeep.

Come to think of it, I may have recorded a “world first” last week:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74968/IMG_0571-3199494.jpg

… a hood-mounted Hi-Lift jack actually being used.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:
Eh - I have a few “offroading” things on my Jeep.

Come to think of it, I may have recorded a “world first” last week:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74968/IMG_0571-3199494.jpg

… a hood-mounted Hi-Lift jack actually being used.

Now that’s different. The Hi-Lift jacks I’ve seen mounted on a Jeep have never been used.

Building picket anchors is probably less work though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
The winch I have had for 20 years and only used once, not because I needed it, but just to see if it still worked.
View Quote

I could see a need for a winch and maybe a couple of those plastic boards for under the tires.  It depends on where and what terrain, of course.  Mud is different from mountain trails.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By fullmedaljacket8:
Sounds like OP is a poors.
View Quote

well, he was "bragging" about his TuRD.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Stock 4runner? OP is going down shitty lease roads at the worst.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:22:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:
Guy at work spent $30k on his jeep and looked hardcore off road ready with winch and all.  Asked him where he goes offroading and he hasnt taken it out yet he said

His jeep was like this for at least 3 years before I asked.
View Quote

All you need to offroad a jeep is good tires and some cheap ass sway bar disconnects, or unbolt them and zip tie them out of the way. A lunchbox locker in the front helps a lot too, maybe a cable locker in the rear. There I built an off-road rig for $2k
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#26]
Originally Posted By ParityError:
If you are actually going off road, a modest recovery kit (appropriately rated strap or two, soft shackles, folding shovel) is a reasonable investment. Much more economical that trying to improvise and ending up putting a hitch ball through someone’s window.  Or their head.

If the closest you get to off road it is flexing your suspension on a curb at the mall, then yeah, sure the money.
View Quote

This is fair.  I keep a recovery strap, pair of soft shackles, a folding shovel, and gloves in both the Gladiator and the Silverado.  I’ve used both sets a couple times for other people’s mistakes.  Modest investment but very nice to have when needed.

ETA - did the Jeep Adventure Academy when we bought our Gladiator.  We did put some 17” Rubicon wheels with 33” KO2’s and a hitch skid on it for the trip.  The day was a blast.  We definitely used the skids.  I put the truck up on a lift and sprayed the scrapes.  The hitch skid was actually helpful as the Gladiator can drag its ass in the rocks.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Some people don't need no damn four wheel drive.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:

I bet 95% of jeeps never go off road. Probably 90% have never even had the 4wd engaged.  Around here you are way more likely to see an old F150 or Chevy truck all mudded up.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tallahasseezz:
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:
Guy at work spent $30k on his jeep and looked hardcore off road ready with winch and all.  Asked him where he goes offroading and he hasnt taken it out yet he said

His jeep was like this for at least 3 years before I asked.

I bet 95% of jeeps never go off road. Probably 90% have never even had the 4wd engaged.  Around here you are way more likely to see an old F150 or Chevy truck all mudded up.

It is the same in here in South Texas. Most people buy Jeeps just to join the "club".

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By compuvette:

This is fair.  I keep a recovery strap, pair of soft shackles, a folding shovel, and gloves in both the Gladiator and the Silverado.  I’ve used both sets a couple times for other people’s mistakes.  Modest investment but very nice to have when needed.

ETA - did the Jeep Adventure Academy when we bought our Gladiator.  We did put some 17” Rubicon wheels with 33” KO2’s and a hitch skid on it for the trip.  The day was a blast.  We definitely used the skids.  I put the truck up on a lift and sprayed the scrapes.  The hitch skid was actually helpful as the Gladiator can drag its ass in the rocks.

https://i.imgur.com/jVwE0dj.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/Aj2tbzD.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/gXhWus6.jpeg
View Quote

I just don't see you damaging the hitch dragging it over rocks.
My 2 door Jeep has steel rear bumper with steel shackles and I constantly drag the hitch on rocks, no issues at all.

I have 2 hitch shackles. 1 in my F150 and a spare carried in my Jeep. A hitch shackle acts as another centered recovery point. Carrying a spare allows you to put it into a stuck vehicle's hitch. You can then attach a soft shackle and your static strap or kinetic rope to pull out the stuck vehicle.  

https://www.factor55.com/p-hitchlink-2-0

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By drobs:

My 2 door Jeep has steel rear bumper with steel shackles and I constantly drag the hitch on rocks, no issues at all.

I have 2 hitch shackles. 1 in my F150 and a spare carried in my Jeep. A hitch shackle acts as another centered recovery point. Carrying a spare allows you to put it into a stuck vehicle's hitch. You can then attach a soft shackle and your static strap or kinetic rope to pull out the stuck vehicle.  

https://www.factor55.com/images/thumbs/000/0001095_hitchlink-20-red-00020-01.jpeg

View Quote

It isn't about damaging the hitch, it's about preventing it from snagging.  The departure angle of the Gladiator sucks so a skid can help.

I'm going to get this one.  It has an integrated recovery point.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

It isn't about damaging the hitch, it's about preventing it from snagging.  The departure angle of the Gladiator sucks so a skid can help.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/61s0c3d9vFL__AC_UF894_1000_QL80__jpg-3200793.JPG

View All Quotes

https://www.factor55.com/images/thumbs/000/0001095_hitchlink-20-red-00020-01.jpeg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/61s0c3d9vFL__AC_UF894_1000_QL80__jpg-3200793.JPG

What are you going to snag with it and how is that possibly going to matter?  You will hit that skid because it now hangs down even lower than the hitch.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#33]

What are you going to snag with it and how is that possibly going to matter?  You will hit that skid because it now hangs down even lower than the hitch.
View All Quotes

I had a hitch skid before I got a high clearance rear bumper.

It helps it slide over rocks and not get caught up on them. It also keeps it from bending the shit out of your hitch chain hoops. (Which I did before I got the skid.)
Stock
Attachment Attached File

Modified so it sits closer.
Attachment Attached File

After a week in Moab
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:58:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#34]
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:

It helps it slide over rocks and not get caught up on them. It also keeps it from bending the shit out of your hitch chain hoops. (Which I did before I got the skid.)
Stock
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/IMG_2109_jpeg-3200888.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/5565DCD7-3744-469D-855E-8A07D2A0A273_jpe-3200889.JPG
After a week in Moab
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/IMG_0800_jpeg-3200890.JPG

View Quote

It's like a self fulfilling prophecy...

I've wheeled multiple length vehicles on rocks off road all with hitches, to include 2006 Nissan Frontier (sold), 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRDOR (sold), and my current 2 door 2015 Jeep JK Willys. At no point have I ever wished I had a skid plate on my hitch that hangs lower than the hitch and sticks out even further than a hitch shackle.

It's you're $ and you are free to do as you please.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#35]

I've wheeled a multiple length vehicles on rocks off road all with hitches, to include 2006 Nissan Frontier (sold), 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRDOR (sold), and my current 2 door 2015 Jeep JK Willys. At no point have I ever wished I had a skid plate on my hitch that hangs lower than the hitch and sticks out even further than a hitch shackle.

View All Quotes

Stock
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/IMG_2109_jpeg-3200888.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/5565DCD7-3744-469D-855E-8A07D2A0A273_jpe-3200889.JPG
After a week in Moab
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/163367/IMG_0800_jpeg-3200890.JPG

I've wheeled a multiple length vehicles on rocks off road all with hitches, to include 2006 Nissan Frontier (sold), 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRDOR (sold), and my current 2 door 2015 Jeep JK Willys. At no point have I ever wished I had a skid plate on my hitch that hangs lower than the hitch and sticks out even further than a hitch shackle.

Yeah I wheeled all types of vehicles too. Trucks just have wicked over hang.

I got it for Moab purposely because it hangs past the back of the bumper. Tacomas have plastic bumper caps. Which I damaged before I got the hitch skid and didn’t damage them after I put it on.

It was $45 off Amazon no big deal. Plus I bought a $2k rear bumper to replace it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#36]

I got it for Moab purposely because it hangs past the back of the bumper. Tacomas have plastic bumper caps. Which I damaged before I got the hitch skid and didn’t damage them after I put it on.

It was $45 off Amazon no big deal. Plus I bought a $2k rear bumper to replace it.
View Quote

All good. I kept knocking that stupid gray plastic piece off my 4Runner's bumper. It makes you want a high clearance rear bumper.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#37]

All good. I kept knocking that stupid gray plastic piece off my 4Runner's bumper. It makes you want a high clearance rear bumper.
View All Quotes

Yeah the valence piece in the front and back are pointless. I keep pressure my wife into modding her 4Runner but I haven’t made any progress yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
Next you're going to say that 4x4 snorkel that was permanently installed after cutting a hole in your fender is not needed for the 2" of water crossed every year.

Or the 300lbs of ARB bumpers that haven't touched brush in years.
View Quote

most snorkels are for sand not water.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

There’s a difference between a squared off piece of steel hitting a rock and an angled one.  

The former will get “caught” easier.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:17:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#40]
Not only have I hung up on my hitch, I’ve done it after talking shit that I had plenty of clearance and didn’t need to take my hitch off.

I’ve also gotten myself stuck enough that it took a backhoe to get me out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a winch on two vehicles. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they are rarely needed.

But it’s sure nice to have one when you’re out of options.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#42]
i'll likely never use my wench on my 392.  yes, its a wench, not a winch.

but i have it if i need it.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#43]
I once met a ranger at a trail head and he looked at me like i was crazy. Says you know this is a high clearance road right? I was all huh. No wonder it took me so long.

I was in a taurus
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Twisted10:
i'll likely never use my wench on my 392.  yes, its a wench, not a winch.

but i have it if i need it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/296599/jeep37-4_jpg-3201070.JPG
View Quote

Those look like KMC Tanks.  One of my favorites, although I’m too poor for em.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#45]
I love all the pristine never scratched rock climbing vehicle larpers here in flat as a pancake swamp South Florida
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Those look like KMC Tanks.  One of my favorites, although I’m too poor for em.
View Quote

They are.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Shit... I'm thinking about putting a winch on the Daily that I don't typically offroad. It's found itself in, situations..... A kinetic strap and some soft shackles should be in every mans truck kit. OP probably doesn't even know where his OEM tire equipment it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#48]
OP posts one shitty take and BAM five pages and he completely ghosted the thread.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I have many times found it to be ironic to see a suv or truck all decked out in brush guards at the supermarket. While on one hand it never sees any brush the brush guards are very useful against shopping carts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Why can't you just slip a soft shackle into a receiver and pass the pin through it?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top