Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used my tow strap, shackles, tree saver and snatch block several times and I'm not a hard core off roader.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got the cheapest 170 dollar winch on my rubicon that I bought at sam's on closeout.  I use it once or twice every year, mostly in the exact same spot every year, pulling idiots out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#3]
Op maybe you need to get out more? Join an off road club, hit the trails, volunteer your time / gear.

I lead almost weekly trail rides as a member of a Facebook Off Road club. I also volunteer for 2 Off Road Recovery groups and am starting to lose count on how many vehicles I've pulled out with my recovery gear.

I find using that gear is almost as fun as trail riding.

Winched this kid's 1500 Chevy out last month. Started with a snatch block, went to a straight pull, and finished with a Kinetic Rope.

Attachment Attached File

Pulled a Toyota Tacoma and a F150 out of the mud a few months before that using a Kinetic Rope.

Grand Cherokee:
Attachment Attached File

Gladiator:
Attachment Attached File

40ft RV:
Attachment Attached File

2500 Chevy
Attachment Attached File

Do I use it on myself? Every once in awhile. It's usually easier / quicker to get a pull from a fellow club member. Using his gear or mine.

We have some fun trails in the area.

My 2015 JK Willys on 35's
Attachment Attached File

My Jeep on 33's
Attachment Attached File

Some of my club members on a trail ride:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By contract:
* Unless you're super deep mudding.. OR recovering someone ELSE out for their own mistake.

But it looks cool.

Even the off-road tires are not needed for MOST trails. They absolutely SUCK on frozen/snow conditions.

I've driven a STOCK 4 runner (TRD with factory skid plate but never once used the TRD controls) with $150ish? Cheap Chinese snow tires/stock rims up some of the most difficult trials/highest peaks in CO, NV desert, Utah, AZ, etc, in all weather conditions, including deep snow.

Trails that make most people NOPE the fukk out.

Only real gear worth is is a skid plate AND tire chains.

Unpopular opinon.

But it's SUPER easy to get mislead by all the off road gear sellers. YOU NEED THIS, you NEED THAT, etc.

You really don't.

View Quote

Cool story bro.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:34:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 6SJ7GT:

@-Ascent-
Tuttle Creek?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yup that’s Tuttle.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Gucci could make a fortune if they developed truck and gun lines to match their fashion wear.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]
   Like AKSnowRider said, picking the right line keeps you moving. Went to Fun in the Desert in 2001 with my cj5.
 Doug Meyer from 4x4 tv was filming. At the beginning of Jackhammer trail we took the first couple of obstacles with no spotter. He came up to us suprised that we did them without a spotter.  A Warn 9k resides on my jeep. Used it once on the trail, wheelbase too short to climb a fall.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#9]
OP you’re not wrong, but you’re also so full of it 😂

You have not done the hardest trails in UT let alone some of the moderate trails with a stock Toyo anything. Let alone every other state you claim. You may mean fire roads…

To the you’re right; my truck is/was basically stock and I’ve been to Moab two years running I’ve done a dozen trails or so. All easier lvl 2-4 stuff. Had a blast! Learn a lot and it’s amazing how capable stock rigs can be.

But.

To do more and not be that guy stuck every 5 min slowing the group down, I need to upgrade for the 5-6, maybe 7th level with more skill, stuff.

So that’s what I’m doing now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#10]
My forester has conquered more than most of the mall crawlers in my AO
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Wyoming77:

What is the equivalent to “Fudd” in the off-road world?
View Quote

Whatever OP’s screen name is
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:22:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#12]
* Unless you're super deep mudding.. OR recovering someone ELSE out for their own mistake.

But it looks cool.

Even the off-road tires are not needed for MOST trails. They absolutely SUCK on frozen/snow conditions.

I've driven a STOCK 4 runner (TRD with factory skid plate but never once used the TRD controls) with $150ish? Cheap Chinese snow tires/stock rims up some of the most difficult trials/highest peaks in CO, NV desert, Utah, AZ, etc, in all weather conditions, including deep snow.

Unpopular opinon.

But it's SUPER easy to get mislead by all the off road gear sellers. YOU NEED THIS, you NEED THAT, etc.

You really don't.

View Quote

So, you drive on gravel roads.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:30:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
I’ll bet more than half the motherfuckers that have a farm jack clamped to their vehicle don’t even know how to use one, lol.
View Quote

HI lifts on trail rigs are like traction boards on Overland rigs . Completely useless on a trail .
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I lol'd
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Then you've never been on the hard trails.

I don't do the super crazy stuff and my friend in his mildly lifted 4 runner can't go where I go. He high centers or needs me to pull him up once in a while.

I only have a 2in lift with full lockers and 33in tires
Fully locked pulls me out of most of the stuff but I don't do crazy bouldering either.

Hell, Pismo beach will get you stuck with stock tires. Shovel at minimum to dig out, high lift makes life easier.

I've never needed my recovery gear for myself except a shovel but that's like saying I've never used my carry gun so i should leave it at home.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:52:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Lockers are probably one of the best things to have. And a good shovel. 😉
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By pr24guy:
Could you survive out here, OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k183PLQv-6A
View Quote

No thanks!! Changing differential fluids every week and the other required maintenance costs wouldn’t be worth the bang to me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:09:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Tjcj:

HI lifts on trail rigs are like traction boards on Overland rigs . Completely useless on a trail .
View Quote

Meh, they are a fact of life on the big buggy's, partly because hen you stick 44's out of sight, normally there isn't anything big enough to drag one out..you have to jack them up, and it takes 2 jacks because the weight of the truck along with the suction of the mud is enough to fold one jack up...

The one buggy we mounted the jacks between the bed and cab, one on each side, makes it easy to get at them....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here you can see 2 of them in use..truck is out of the mud and setting on tires on big planks......The one jack is getting hooked to a rim mount to get the tire completely up...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By pr24guy:

My buddy and I got a Dune Buggy wedged between 3 trees once. All we had was a Screwdriver and a Vice Grips. We cut down the smallest tree to get out. It was a long day.
View Quote

I can see how that could happen.  You gotta do you have to to get out.  Pineys might have gotten you if you had to spend the night there!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:36:08 AM EDT
[#20]
My K02’s are great in winter weather/snow/ice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By XJ:
...patiently waiting for OP's pics from Iron Chest, Holy Cross, and Blanca before the forest service blasted the fun parts due to rollover fatalities

View Quote

I had not heard this.  Is Blanca an easy trail now?  I love that trail, but I have never had a vehicle that could make it up to the top.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:40:31 AM EDT
[#22]
you should have come with us.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I've done a few recoveries getting SXS out and it amazes me the amount of people that either have no recovery gear at all or are woefully underprepared.

I've only used my winch once to load mine when it broke.  Much prefer to use a kinetic rope as its typically faster and easier than getting out the winch.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#24]

But it looks cool.

Unpopular opinon.

You really don't.

View Quote
One winter during hunting season, I followed my friend's Toyota 4x4 pickup all through the Rockies driving a '78 Impala with good all season tires.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Driving down fire roads isn't off-roading. You should sell your 4Runner and buy a Subaru OP.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:42:20 AM EDT
[#26]
All the paint scratches, bent mirrors and various dings and bends on my truck were done by my daughters or nephews within 25 miles of home.  On pavement and driveways, thank you.  but at least it was done by other vehicles, just lucky bushes, light poles, driveway hedges, etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:50:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

Not really.  There used to be a accessory that looked like a spare wheel (w/o tire) that you could bolt onto your wheel.  Attach the strap to it and it would pull you out by winding the strap onto the thingy.  The problem is, with open diffs, the opposite wheel would spin and you would go nowhere.  It would work with a locker, or maybe a LS diff.  I never used one.
View Quote

I don’t know what the formal name is - but you build a flip flop lever out of two logs big enough / long enough to give you the necessary mechanical advantage, and then get to work.

It’s a miserable time. I recommend a winch.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:01:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:
Guy at work spent $30k on his jeep and looked hardcore off road ready with winch and all.  Asked him where he goes offroading and he hasnt taken it out yet he said

His jeep was like this for at least 3 years before I asked.
View Quote

I worked with two guys that bought brand new jeeps. They both kitted them up for great offroad adventures. They both went offroading once. They had a great time but scratched the paint so no more offroading for them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:
OP is either full of shit or his definition of "difficult trails" and "deep snow" doesn't match up with mine.

Your stock tires wouldn't get up my driveway after November, hard stop.

View Quote

Yeah, I've been on some trails that make "difficult" trails look like a walk in the park. But I did do it in a mostly stock Colorado ZR2 (only upgrade was bigger tires).

OP needs to stop worrying about what other people like. My current Jeep is getting kitted out. Talking it to CO next month to do black bear and some others while there. 2.5" lift, 35" tires, full skids, rear bumper delete "for maximum departure angle, stubby front bumper with winch will have some traction boards, a shovel, and recovery rope with me as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Eh.  It's not my money, so I don't care.  Plus, I'm guilty.  I've got a very mildly built 4Runner with some recovery gear, the requisite traction boards and a winch.  I throw all the recovery gear when I go play around at Windrock.  The one time I needed my winch to get me un-stuck made it worth the cost.  Plus I've used the winch a number of times for clearing debris after a storm.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Most Colorado trails / passes are maintained with a Bull Dozer or Grader. Examples Black Bear and Engineer Pass.

Sure you could die at any moment by rolling down the mountain but the trail itself is not that difficult.

I don't carry a Hi-Jack but they do have their place and I have seen them in use to change 35 inch and taller tires. Plus lift a vehicle off a obstacle.

Having a Badland 12k synthetic winch on my Jeep. Plus a winch rope extension and multiple tree savers and static straps, means I don't carry traction boards (Maxtrax).

My traction boards get carried in my F150 that doesn't have a winch on it.
I've seen traction boards used on trail immediately behind me. Where I and another vehicle had to winch over a large root ball, the vehicle's behind us bridged it with a set of Maxtrax.

I used my US Action Trax to help get a friend's Prius out of a ditch.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By EBR-Okie:
Check out some youtube videos of some of the "trails" in S.E. Oklahoma, and you can see why my truck has 37's, lockers, and a winch. I have my doubts you would get very far without them.
For most people, yes totally unnecessary, but most don't do serious off-roading.
View Quote

When I lived out in OK most of the trucks had what I called "the Oklahoma Poser Package" - the bigger tires on different offset rims so the tires stuck out past the body panels. Some did the additional lift kit and the light bars. They all acted like they needed that stuff but the reality was the only thing they put those trucks through was the car wash multiple times a week.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Not a waste.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#34]
A snorkel would've been nice to have on this trail. This guy was happy I had all that expensive recovery gear in/on my 4Runner.

Attachment Attached File

The 4Runner behind mine pulled him out of the water with my kinetic rope and then I winched him over the next set of ledges.

Not to pick on the guy, but he was also happy I had a winch on my 4Runner to get him out of this mess. Kinetic Ropes and static straps have their place. However, this is where you want to go slow with a winch.

Attachment Attached File

He now has a winch on his Frontier.

Originally Posted By Marky244:
I fully agree,  and every time I see a heard of overlanders airing down their tires on a "trail" that I just took my wife’s GMC Acadia, and can't help but giggle at them.
View Quote

Tires are expensive. Why do I air down my tires?
Softer ride, better traction, airing down acts as an additinal cushion to my suspension components, and tire puncture protection.

A short video for you which I doubt you will watch.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:

I worked with two guys that bought brand new jeeps. They both kitted them up for great offroad adventures. They both went offroading once. They had a great time but scratched the paint so no more offroading for them.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:
Guy at work spent $30k on his jeep and looked hardcore off road ready with winch and all.  Asked him where he goes offroading and he hasnt taken it out yet he said

Clean paint on a Jeep is important.

I keep mine fresh with a rattlecan.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mudpie1313:
Looks cool on mall crawlers...my favorite part is when I tell them "you might want to put it in four wheel drive through this part"...the look on there face when they realiz e I have been in two wheel the whole time.
OP has never been off roading..
View Quote

Yeah, I got more into off roading a few years ago. Around here we don’t have a ton of serious stuff, but we can find some challenging areas. One day I was curious, so while everyone else was aired down and using 4x4, I left mine aired up and in 2wd except for the one mud pit that I just didn’t want to get stuck in. My stock Tacoma (with Wildpeaks) was like a freakin billy goat. In 2wd, I went places I thought would get the far more capable stuck!
It’s now a running joke in our group that I might want to upgrade to a 4x4 one of these days.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:09:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#37]
Probably 99% of the toyota TRD tacomas and 4Runners never see more offroad than parking in the lawn when going to someones party.
But they got the cooler looking decals and trim package
The SR5 or whatever is probably more than adequate for the occasional snowstorm to get to work or pick up the kids at daycare.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Marky244:
I fully agree,  and every time I see a heard of overlanders airing down their tires on a "trail" that I just took my wife’s GMC Acadia, and can't help but giggle at them.
View Quote

I'll air down for comfort.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:
lol. You should try real off-roading. Your TuRD 4Runner couldn’t make it on these hardcore trails.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111557/IMG_3629_jpeg-3199683.JPG
View Quote

I have three good friends with amazingly capable Rubicons that have never been off road and never will be. Give OP credit for getting out there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Guy I know took his out to "the woods".
He parked next to a mud hole, walked around it and took a picture.
Never got a tire wet....
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
I once got a 900 series 5 ton 6x6 stuck in a place that made a D-7 dozer operator comment "I'm not sure if I can get in there"

I was quite proud of my accomplishment
View Quote

I resold duece and a halfs for while. Every idiot that wanted one for "muddin'" or the hunting camp got a short lecture....
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

@DVCER

Is that up on the mesa?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By denverdan:
Originally Posted By DVCER:

I can vouch for that.  Lost an afternoon helping this idiot. If he hadn’t had a wife and infant 20 miles off pavement I probably would have just smiled and waved.   I knew there was going to be trouble when a tow truck was coming out and said “somebody is stuck back there and I ain’t getting stuck too”.

2 jeeps and multiple quads pulled him out.  Of course he had to leave the Excursion diesel till he could bring back a new rear driveshaft.  The other Jeep hauled them back to pavement.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_0614_jpeg-3199545.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_0611_jpeg-3199547.JPG

@DVCER

Is that up on the mesa?

Can you pull the rear drive shaft and use 4wd/front wheel drive?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Naffenea:

I don't disagree. In my teens and early twenties I would take a Volkswagen Squareback places that would make others shit.
View Quote

I had a baja bug that would do the same. Also a Toyota Wagon in 4wd I bought for 300$.
As long as it wasn't too muddy, that fucked would go surprising places.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#44]
My neighbor asked for help getting out of the ditch off the edge of her driveway.  Just went a yard too far.  Had to yank it twice but got to use my "wastes of $$$".  I live on a relatively steep street in Mammoth too and have loaned folks shovels and traction boards.  Usually they get going in less than an hour. Helping them is in my interests as they'd be blocking the road if I wanted/needed to leave .only one way out. Uphill.  A hill we lived on in Big Bear, CA was pure entertainment during winter, one of those where folks would slide down backwards if the run-up failed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:01:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11b4v] [#45]
Y’all don’t beat the OP too much; he’s a fellow Arfcom’r, and to each his own.

When I see the overbuilt pavement queens, I just say to self, they’re feeding a lot families buying all that kit.

I spend a lot of time in the National Forest exploring old, abandoned logging trails, and as others have stated, approach line, AND I’ll add, the right amount of pedal,will get you through most obstacles.

Regrettably, I’m burdened with a 5K truck, 2” lift,  and 32” tires; I’ve got a bruised ARB front, homemade steel rear, and sliders.

I’ll bypass, straddle when possible, but inevitably, mud will dominate here in the south east.  There’s always that spot in the trail were you underestimate the depth of the ruts made by rail buggy’s or those beer can’s (jeeps) on 37”/44” who destroy trails for the heck of it (I’ve driven past redneck Jeepers playing in the same mud hole for hours) and you’re winching through.

My curiosity with exploring and getting in tight spots has forced me nowadays into bringing along a rear, hitch mounted winch .

I’m cheating here used some tree limbs for traction.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:07:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: madwis15] [#46]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Probably 99% of the toyota TRD tacomas and 4Runners never see more offroad than parking in the lawn when going to someones party.
But they got the cooler looking decals and trim package
The SR5 or whatever is probably more than adequate for the occasional snowstorm to get to work or pick up the kids at daycare.
View Quote

Call it 99% of any off road capable vehicle.
My SR5 trail limo has been places that no Subaru could ever get to, much less any street car. It’s funny reading the responses here. To me, anyone that even makes the attempt to get into a bit of mud or crawl some rocks even in a modest way has done far more them the vast majority of people that have fancy, pretty and very capable mall crawlers, yet some here bash them because they haven’t done level 15 cliff climbing with 45s and 20 ton winches. F that noise.
What I know for certain is even my basic rig is amazingly capable, and watching the guys in my group go from timidly trying our fire roads, then 2 years later having solidly build their trucks and doing trips to Moab, MO and Arkansas has been fun to watch and be a part of.
As for winches and all the other add ons… I can ride with those guy on almost every trail they go on. They have all that to play with on the extreme obstacles, all of which have chicken routes that old farts like me can take if we don’t want to beat the shit out of our daily driver.
They go out of their way to find situations that let them justify the money they’ve spent on all that gear. While I certainly have no problem with that, and I often help them spend more, lol, I just like going to places you just cannot get to with a typical vehicle. To each his own.
Cheers!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#47]
I haven't had to use my winch or straps or traction boards yet, but I have needed my tools a few times. And I've definitely beat on my sliders and skid plates, and been grateful for the extra clearance I got with bumpers.

A couple people mentioned Mt Blanca. I was just in that area about a week ago and noticed they built a helipad at the bottom of the mountain.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#48]
It's better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:
My K02's are great in winter weather/snow/ice.
View Quote

My KO2s are slippery as fuck on ice.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#50]
The Truck Got Stuck - Corb Lund
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top