Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/27/2024 3:33:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: contract]
* Unless you're super deep mudding.. OR recovering someone ELSE out for their own mistake.

But it looks cool.

Even the off-road tires are not needed for MOST trails. They absolutely SUCK on frozen/snow conditions.

I've driven a STOCK 4 runner (TRD with factory skid plate but never once used the TRD controls) with $150ish? Cheap Chinese snow tires/stock rims up some of the most difficult trials/highest peaks in CO, NV desert, Utah, AZ, etc, in all weather conditions, including deep snow.

Trails that make most people NOPE the fukk out.

Only real gear worth is is a skid plate AND tire chains.

Unpopular opinon.

But it's SUPER easy to get mislead by all the off road gear sellers. YOU NEED THIS, you NEED THAT, etc.

You really don't.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]
*laughs in 37s and mid travel*

Yeah yeah fire roads are amazing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Next you're going to say that 4x4 snorkel that was permanently installed after cutting a hole in your fender is not needed for the 2" of water crossed every year.

Or the 300lbs of ARB bumpers that haven't touched brush in years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
What's wrong, OP? Got "deined" for your annual "offroad access" permit?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Guns are a waste of money until you need them too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like OP is a poors.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Guy at work spent $30k on his jeep and looked hardcore off road ready with winch and all.  Asked him where he goes offroading and he hasnt taken it out yet he said

His jeep was like this for at least 3 years before I asked.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Your trails aren't the same as my trails.

We SINK a Gladiator in the Pine Barrens - Midlife Adventurer
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
The winch I have had for 20 years and only used once, not because I needed it, but just to see if it still worked.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Most things in a developed economy aren’t needed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]
"Generally.''

Everything is useless and a waste until you actually use it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:48:32 PM EDT
[#11]
A stock trigger and drop in handguard are all that is needed
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I fully agree,  and every time I see a heard of overlanders airing down their tires on a "trail" that I just took my wife’s GMC Acadia, and can't help but giggle at them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the OP has a point.  A lot of people would be better off going out and doing stuff than buying random crap.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you feel better OP, now that you got that off your chest?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ParityError] [#15]
If you are actually going off road, a modest recovery kit (appropriately rated strap or two, soft shackles, folding shovel) is a reasonable investment. Much more economical that trying to improvise and ending up putting a hitch ball through someone’s window.  Or their head.

If the closest you get to off road it is flexing your suspension on a curb at the mall, then yeah, sure the money.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By contract:

I've driven a STOCK 4 runner (TRD with factory skid plate but never once used the TRD controls) with $150ish? Cheap Chinese snow tires/stock rims up some of the most difficult trials/highest peaks in CO, NV desert, Utah, AZ, etc, in all weather conditions, including deep snow.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Could you survive out here, OP?

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
See it a lot around here. It's a hobby I guess.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fxntime:
"Generally.''

Everything is useless and a waste until you actually use it. *
View Quote
* or need it.

I carry a Garmin inReach, I've never have had to use it, complete waste of money.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#20]
Chains are illegal in TN.

You will need traction boards or a winch round here bossman.

It’s different here in the east.

Appalachian Rainforest

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#21]
You need a ladder and a snorkel if you have an SUV.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#22]
My 12,000 lb winch is pretty handy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
I think the OP has a point.  A lot of people would be better off going out and doing stuff than buying random crap.
View Quote

Agree. Think about what our fathers and grandfathers did in stock flatfenders.

But I also absolutely do not for a second believe that OP has done the most difficult trails and conditions in UT and CO.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a 2.5" lift and taller tires and it opened up a whole new world of offroading.  It also eliminated the need to use my skid plates...most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Agree. Think about what our fathers and grandfathers did in stock flatfenders.

But I also absolutely do not for a second believe that OP has done the most difficult trails and conditions in UT and CO.
View Quote

Or AZ.  If he has a standard suspension and no lockers I can GUARANTEE he hasn't.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#26]
OP is either full of shit or his definition of "difficult trails" and "deep snow" doesn't match up with mine.

Your stock tires wouldn't get up my driveway after November, hard stop.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ParityError:
If you are actually going off road, a modest recovery kit (appropriately rated strap or two, soft shackles, folding shovel) is a reasonable investment. Much more economical that trying to improvise and ending up putting a hitch ball through someone's window.  Or their head.

If the closest you get to off road it is flexing your suspension on a curb at the mall, then yeah, sure the money.
View Quote
Some people like to play dress up. You'll see their vehicles outfitted with all the equipment need to tackle the Darien Gap that never gets used or is needed but it looks cool/adventurous.

If you venture off road and in remote areas there are some things you should carry for self recovery and tire repair that will make the difference between making it back to civilization on your own or paying someone big $$$ to get you out.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:
OP is either full of shit or his definition of "difficult trails" and "deep snow" doesn't match up with mine.

View Quote
Bro, he has a 4 Runner TRD, nothing can stop him.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I guess you don't run in Baja at high speed. Sorry you have the ppors.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#30]
2" lift on my Frontier 4x4 SV w/ Falken Wildpeak AT3's. Never been disappointed in mud, sugar sand, snow or ice. I did add a second tow hook up front and keep a 20' tow strap under my back seat if needed.

I use said truck for hunting and ski trips.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Rattlehead34:
Guy at work spent $30k on his jeep and looked hardcore off road ready with winch and all.  Asked him where he goes offroading and he hasnt taken it out yet he said

His jeep was like this for at least 3 years before I asked.
View Quote

I bet 95% of jeeps never go off road. Probably 90% have never even had the 4wd engaged.  Around here you are way more likely to see an old F150 or Chevy truck all mudded up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Check out some youtube videos of some of the "trails" in S.E. Oklahoma, and you can see why my truck has 37's, lockers, and a winch. I have my doubts you would get very far without them.
For most people, yes totally unnecessary, but most don't do serious off-roading.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Eh - I have a few “offroading” things on my Jeep.

Come to think of it, I may have recorded a “world first” last week:

… a hood-mounted Hi-Lift jack actually being used.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By RealityCheck0311:
Next you're going to say that 4x4 snorkel that was permanently installed after cutting a hole in your fender is not needed for the 2" of water crossed every year.

Or the 300lbs of ARB bumpers that haven't touched brush in years.
View Quote

I'm a poor so mine is a smittybuilt but I push shit over all the time with it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#35]

When you get back to the suck truck with the guy who drives the log skidder and it goes like this;

Here we are.

Ok...  Where's the stuck truck?

Down there.  (Points)

Oh my...

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Whiskeyballzzz:
2" lift on my Frontier 4x4 SV w/ Falken Wildpeak AT3's. Never been disappointed in mud, sugar sand, snow or ice. I did add a second tow hook up front and keep a 20' tow strap under my back seat if needed.

I use said truck for hunting and ski trips.
View Quote

Have you practiced self-winching, or do you plan on waiting for some nice person to come along and unstuck you?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:31:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#38]
Originally Posted By markl32:

When you get back to the suck truck with the guy who drives the log skidder and it goes like this;

Here we are.

Ok...  Where's the stuck truck?

Down there.  (Points)

Oh my...

View Quote
I once got a 900 series 5 ton 6x6 stuck in a place that made a D-7 dozer operator comment "I'm not sure if I can get in there"

I was quite proud of my accomplishment
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:32:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Reality TV or not I like watching stock stuff get recovered on Matt’s Off-road Recovery.

Oh No, Minivan Takes A Bad Turn!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By pr24guy:
Your trails aren't the same as my trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGSRnLUIO4s
View Quote

I helped 3 stuck vehicles in the Pine Barrens.  And, those 3 vehicles did not have any recovery equipment.  They were thankful that I did.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#42]
We've watched Matt's Recovery
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#43]
No special gear for me BUT I only drive forest roads, atv trails and pavement. I HATE getting mud on my wheelers and usually avoid wet trails all together. 22 Maverick X3 RR. Love the power but don't beat it up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#44]
* Unless you're super deep mudding.. OR recovering someone ELSE out for their own mistake.

But it looks cool.

Even the off-road tires are not needed for MOST trails. They absolutely SUCK on frozen/snow conditions.

Unpopular opinon.

But it's SUPER easy to get mislead by all the off road gear sellers. YOU NEED THIS, you NEED THAT, etc.

You really don't.

View Quote

I don't disagree. In my teens and early twenties I would take a Volkswagen Squareback places that would make others shit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ParityError:
If you are actually going off road, a modest recovery kit (appropriately rated strap or two, soft shackles, folding shovel) is a reasonable investment. Much more economical that trying to improvise and ending up putting a hitch ball through someone’s window.  Or their head.

View Quote

This. If you're actually off roading, some recovery equipment and capability improvements are a good investment.

I see tons of Wranglers and Brocos all set up for off roading/overlanding around here. Lifted, roof racks, mud tires, brush guards, skid protection. The vast majority are spotless and have perfect paint.  It's just an esthetic to most people.  There's not many places around here to go wheeling, it can't possibly be THAT popular.

I'm sure my 3 series has been "off road" more than most of these Wranglers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I could have used a set of traction mats, messing around in the snow a couple of times. A winch would be nice also, but I don't think I would use in much. I don't do a lot of "off roading" anymore, but I do occasionally duffer my way into a jam every now and then.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:57:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds a lot like a CCW.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
View Quote

No doubt about it, across many interests and hobbies.

We here in the United States are collectors and tinkerers... keeps our economy going
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll agree that there are a ton of people (especially the "car culture" segment of the overland crowd) who carry a bunch of shit they don't need because they have seen others with it and want to look the part.

I'll disagree in that if you go places solo, one save can make the gear worth every penny and more.  EX: My $400 traction boards that I've only used once despite ~2500miles off road in 2023.  That one time they got me out was WAY cheaper than getting in touch with a recovery service by sat messenger to come get me.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#50]

But it looks cool.

Unpopular opinon.

You really don't.

View Quote

So this really grinds your gears?  🤔
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top