Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 2:13:39 PM EDT
I don't use a VPN and while looking into it, I see that lots of folks experience significant decease in speed.  What do users here experience?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:16:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#1]
Lately I've been having issues, and by that I mean over the last few days. I haven't cared enough to figure out why though, and probably won't unless it persists. Generally, if a VPN server is lagging, just switching to a different one solves the problem. In terms of speeds, broadly speaking, I've never had a significant problem with downloading or uploading while doing normal internet stuff.

Torrenting on the the other hand, which I've certainly never done, but if I did, it's gotten better over time, but is impacted by a VPN.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
It can. Any good provider will tell you the delay time in ping and you can switch locations with ease.

I have never found it to matter much, as my ISP is the slowest part.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used many VPN services.  You will for a fact experience a significant decease in speed.  I get about 700 down without VPN.  VPN slows it down to about 150.  YMMV
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreenGoose:
I have used many VPN services.  You will for a fact experience a significant decease in speed.  I get about 700 down without VPN.  VPN slows it down to about 150.  YMMV
View Quote
Damn man. Nord only drops my speeds by 20 when it's active. Obviously that'll vary, but it's not nearly as bad as you, or bad at all in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Damn man. Nord only drops my speeds by 20 when it's active. Obviously that'll vary, but it's not nearly as bad as you, or bad at all in my opinion.
View Quote

Nord is actually the worst one I've tried.  It's definitely different for everyone, thus the YMMV
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, it's going to happen.  You trade speed for encryption and obfuscation of the traffic's origin.  If you really want to slow yourself down, try TOR.  :-)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GreenGoose:

Nord is actually the worst one I've tried.  It's definitely different for everyone, thus the YMMV
View Quote
I don't know when you tried it last, but having used it for five or so years at this point, like I said earlier, it certainly has improved over time. It was pretty bad during my initial three year sign up and I had considered switching when it was up, but now I don't really have any issues with it anymore. Performance is acceptable for me 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
You're purposely tunneling all of your traffic through somebody else's network/server - often overseas. By it's very nature, it's going to be slower than not doing that. It's just a matter of degree.

Some providers manage their networks and servers better than others, so the loss in performance is perceived to be negligible or at least "good enough".

I also think most non-tech people really misunderstand what the actual point of doing this is (along with all of the nuanced contextual understanding of when and why it's appropriate), and use it as some kind of security talisman.
View Quote

All this so very true.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, do you use Apple devices?  If you do, you can turn on Private Relay and get 90% of what a VPN does for you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By C3H5N3O9:
OP, do you use Apple devices?  If you do, you can turn on Private Relay and get 90% of what a VPN does for you.
View Quote
I use both iOS and Windows . I'll look into that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:11:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scalped] [#13]
The free VPN services are terrible for internet speeds. Past few months w/ a paid sub was pretty slow. Talking <50Mbs up/download speeds, noticeable lag when browsing BBCode pages like Arf. Switching domestic servers that offered 39-40ms didn't do much. About two weeks ago the service took a methpipe hit or something, because I'm flying through the net now. Yes, I verified that I'm connected.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I just did a very scientific test...

VPN off  =      80.16 download    10.10 upload

Proton VPN = 72.78 download      9.41 upload
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top