Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/28/2024 12:13:11 PM EDT
I have $25 on Uber Eats to spend. So I tried to order $19 worth of Wendy's. Total price is $43 if you do the recommended 18% tip for the driver. What would cost $20.50 at pickup is $43 delivered.

I know people who order using this multiple times a week and complain they have no money.

Here is what they charge. Mind you the taxes in this area are only $1.51, so they even inflate that. The food prices are also about 15% more than instore pricing.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:14:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: burnka871] [#1]
The amount of people on the Caleb Hammer show that spend more than they make is insane. And usually a significant percentage of that spending is door dash/uber eats.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
My college student son makes his spending money driving for uber eats. Pretty good gig for him.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:
I have $25 on Uber Eats to spend. So I tried to order $19 worth of Wendy's. Total price is $43 if you do the recommended 18% tip for the driver. What would cost $20.50 at pickup is $43 delivered.

I know people who order using this multiple times a week and complain they have no money.

Here is what they charge. Mind you the taxes in this area are only $1.51, so they even inflate that. The food prices are also about 15% more than instore pricing.

https://i.imgur.com/50A2NWn.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/mWEjLjz.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/5uMveXV.jpeg
View Quote

Shit, the guys who live below me do that multiple times A DAY!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
In before the Kool Kids mock you for not pissing money away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Those same people probably pay monthly subscriptions for “radio” and YouTuber influencers and multiple movie services, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Joe_Pennsy:
View Quote

I'd rather drive to Wendy's buy the same stuff for probably $16 out the door and throw the Uber credit away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are poor in modern America, it's probably because you have a long history of making bad financial decisions. No racism or privilege involved.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
My next door neighbors do this every fucking night. I swear no one knows how to cook in the house.

They’re also renters who spend about $4k a month just in rent alone. They’re good people, both retired Air Force so I guess they have money to burn.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#9]
I just noticed they are lying on the tip too. Wendy's has buy one get one free, so they are doing 18% ontop of $49 instead of $34.

Their entire business model is fooling dumb people.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I just don't care about poor peoples terrible spending habits.  It doesn't require a lot of financial literacy to not be stupid with money you don't have.

Desperation is an incredible motivator.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#11]
America - where even the poor people are fat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I just noticed they are lying on the tip too. Wendy's has buy one get one free, so they are doing 18% ontop of $49 instead of $34.

View Quote

You could argue most businesses models are designed to take advantage of what average consumers don't know.    

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
It’s a bad deal for sure. I figured the only people using it do not own a car, are too drunk to drive, live in barracks/dorm or some combination of those
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Why? lol
They're poor because they're dumb.

We have a dispatcher who orders from Door Dash (or something). He's surrounded by patrolmen (and others) who would go pickup his food free for the asking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I think it's nuts.   Never used it but I know people who do.  They're either people who make quite a bit of money and don't like to cook or stupid people who can't afford it and do it anyway.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
My brother does Uber Eats twice a day and wonders why he is poor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

So if you go to a restaurant, and buy $50 worth of dinner and have a half-off coupon, you'd only tip on the money you actually paid? That's fucking cheap. The wait staff delivered you a meal worth $50, so you tip on the $50 it would have cost you without a coupon. Jesus, some people.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
It's great for when you're hungover.  No need for us to ever use it otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 170Driver] [#20]
There was a thread on here a year or so back about someone who spent $25,000 in one year on Door Dash.

ETA: found it.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Spent-25k-on-DoorDash-last-year-how-do-poors-survive-/5-2665752/
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Agree OP. Get free Uber money monthly through a credit card benefit. It’s a use it or lose it deal that resets monthly. I’ve tried using it for UberEats and run into the same BS. By the time you place the order at their inflated prices and they charge the delivery fees the leftover charge after the credit is about what it would cost to just go to the store. Even if you do pickup at the store, the inflated pricing isn’t worth the hassle of the credit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:34:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JVD] [#22]
An 18% tip is $3.44.
People are tipping fees and tax?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By PR361:
My college student son makes his spending money driving for uber eats. Pretty good gig for him.
View Quote

My kid was home from college this holiday. He’d sit in the liquor store parking lot so he could snag every Door Dash for alcohol that came in.

Kick ass tips.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Our local Casey's stopped delivering (with a $2.00 fee that went to the driver). People were ordering a bag of chips or a soda and having them delivered.

Casey's dumped delivery and went to Ubereats/Doordash. Complaints spiraled out of control. Now they only do pickup.

I don't get it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:37:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#25]
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

So if you go to a restaurant, and buy $50 worth of dinner and have a half-off coupon, you'd only tip on the money you actually paid? That's fucking cheap. The wait staff delivered you a meal worth $50, so you tip on the $50 it would have cost you without a coupon. Jesus, some people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

It's very disingenuous to say "total" on one page, then choose 15/18/20% tip and making people assume they are tipping on the previous total. Yeah the tipping page says it, but in the lightest smallest font on the page.

Let's say you go the Chilli's and order their $11 3 for me deal. Do you go onto the menu and add up the 3 items before you tip?

I assume I'm tipping on the food Im paying for, not ontop of $12 of made up Uber fees also.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#26]
If you put it on the credit cards price doesn't matter, right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Tip should be 3.42. Don’t tip on the taxes and fees lmao.

Shits clown shoes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Butternut:
I wish all legit businesses in a free economy all the success in the world. However, personally I would never trust a random third party to deliver our food.
View Quote

I used to order doordash a lot during the covid time, and  they would fold up the bag and then put a sticker saying it was safe

Not sure whats worse, the drivers or the restaurant employees, with the business closed down for in person customers, I think they took their dogs to work , because one food item had dog hair in the melted cheese. Wife got a full refund with a picture of it
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#29]
be happy that you compete with mostly idiots in life
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#30]
But they bitch saying they cant buy a house and it isnt because of a 7 dollar coffee every day

They dont add in the phone, internet, Netflix, Hulu, rideshare, drinking all the time, going out to dinner, clothes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:41:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I have DashPass through my credit card, so $0 delivery fee from most restaurants.

The only time I do it is if I'm hungover and need breakfast, or if I don't feel like loading the kids into the car just to pick up food.

With that said, I don't think I've had food delivered in a few months. The novelty did wear off when prices started climbing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't even like having a pizza delivered since it usually sits for a bit before the driver gets it and then he likely has a stop or 2 before it gets to me.
No way I am paying double for a hamburger thats half an hour old before it gets to me.
I rarely get fast food anymore and if I do I use the app for discounts and order it when I'm almost there or in the parking lot. Its easier to add extras and the order is more likely to be correct.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#33]
People are fucking lazy.  Thats why they are poor. You can be stupid and survive, lazy and you’re fucked.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Why in hell's gory garden would I spent nearly double on fast food that is going to be cold and/or soggy when it gets to me and almost certainly tasted or "modified" by the PhD student that's doing the delivery??
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
It’s a bad deal for sure. I figured the only people using it do not own a car, are too drunk to drive, live in barracks/dorm or some combination of those
View Quote

No it's incredibly lazy people who do it all the time. Fat fucks want to work from home and have everything delivered to them.

I have no sympathy for poor people.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I do it on occasion for lunch cause I've got $hit to do. I'm self employed and work from home and want to get done asap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:46:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#37]
Meh, I use door dash fairly often.

With Dash Pass ($100 a year), I don't pay the delivery fee and the fees going to Dash Pass are also reduced. That adds up.

Say I want Poke for lunch... I could take the 20 minutes to walk the couple blocks, order the food and wait for it, and walk back. Or pay the extra $3.15 in fees and a couple dollars in tip.

So it costs me $5 extra to use DD... but I am able to work an extra 20-30 minutes. Assume I make more than $10-$15 dollars an hour.

So... it's worth it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#38]
If I'm too lazy to make it or go get it, I don't need to eat.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#39]
That’s why you do pickup only, and prioritize the places that give deals like buy one get one or discounts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:49:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beitodesstrafe] [#40]
I cook a lot too, mostly for dinner.

And if I have leftovers, I eat those for lunch.

But otherwise, I find the service worth my time, and a decent deal, when I'm working.

And if I don't feel like cooking on Friday or Saturday night, it's worth it to me to just relax after work and not have to walk to any of the restaurants to carry out or drive anywhere... I'll let someone else deal with the traffic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SturmgeschutzIII:

No it's incredibly lazy people who do it all the time. Fat fucks want to work from home and have everything delivered to them.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SturmgeschutzIII:

People working from home paying $40-50 for a fast food burger delivered deserve to be fat and poor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#42]
One of my coworkers always  complaining about being totally broke, yet somehow has food delivered almost daily.  It really baffles me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

I have a co-worker who uses this service nearly every day. She arrives early and parks her car beside the building, so she maybe walks 3 or 4 meters to the door. There are several places one could buy food within a couple of blocks, also.

Yes, she often bitches about being broke.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: apexcrusade] [#44]
People do this and then jump into every boomer-bashing thread that comes up to unload their stupidity on others.  We seen it.  I seent it.  Let me know if you've seen it too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

I do it VERY rarely when I'm in the weeds at work and can't get away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#46]

I'd rather drive to Wendy's buy the same stuff for probably $16 out the door and throw the Uber credit away.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Joe_Pennsy:

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Poor people are bad with money.  

What actually pisses me off is big business colluding with big government with my money to make it happen.

https://help.doordash.com/consumers/s/article/Use-Your-SNAP-Benefits-on-DoorDash?language=en_US

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Crazyascanbe:
But they bitch saying they cant buy a house and it isnt because of a 7 dollar coffee every day

They dont add in the phone, internet, Netflix, Hulu, rideshare, drinking all the time, going out to dinner, clothes.
View Quote

Don’t embarrass them, they already feel sad .
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#49]
$8.83 is a po white trash tip.
I tip $10 to $20 depending on the traffic and how quick the food is delivered.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I tried driving for UE for a few weeks. 80% of the people ordering had no business buying prepared food and having it delivered.

The tips reflected that.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top