Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3one5:
For the carnivore diet to be truly healthy, are you getting in your organ meats as well?

I've considered the carnivore diet in the past, I've done Keto for a very long time.  However, I'm not a huge fan or organ meat.  I have thought about having the organ meat ground in with the burger on the next cow I have processed but would like to try a sample of that prior to committing.

View Quote

Personally, I don't eat much organs. Like maybe once a week I'll have just a small amount. Many folks don't need them if they are eating high quality meat and having good eggs/fish. But I would get your labs to check if you're low on anything. You can get too much vitamin A and copper from things like liver if eaten daily.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GlockFudd:

Fasting is so powerful. If there was just 1 thing that I could do to improve my health it would be fasting. I fast every day usually about 16-18 hours. I have been working on prolonged fasting as well, like 24h, 48h water fasts. Feel amazing after. Just got to be careful with re-feeding....slow and easy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JRBL1A1:
I did and now have gone back to the fasting gig...

Start for 2 days at 18hr fasting and then to the 24 hour fasting for about a week. Then I'll sneak in a cheat for lunch (still an 18 hr fast), and then once every 7-10 days I'll do a 36 hour fast. Rinse and repeat. I eat 500-1000 calories at supper (all depends on what and where it is being served and the opportunity to be away from food).

I still eat whatever I want but only in that 1 hr window. I take a vitamin and fish oil in the morning. I'll have 1 beer once or twice a week in the middle evening, but otherwise I've cut out beer, booze, and most dairy.

Six weeks = 35 lbs down. That is the trend for me. If I could stick to it I might actually get back down to a lean 220 lbs (my football days in college). I'm hovering about 270 now.

Fasting is so powerful. If there was just 1 thing that I could do to improve my health it would be fasting. I fast every day usually about 16-18 hours. I have been working on prolonged fasting as well, like 24h, 48h water fasts. Feel amazing after. Just got to be careful with re-feeding....slow and easy.

I have found fasting to be great for my digestive tract. After reading about it,  I decided to start with a 3-day fast. Day 1 was hard, but after that, I didn't struggle with hunger. I felt good enough to do it again. I fast for 3 days several times a year now.

I actually should do one now - after my Christmas-break overindulgence.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
In before the constipation thread...
View Quote

I did it for a month, and I never got constipated. If anything, it was the opposite for the first week. I was pissing out of my asshole for 3 days.

I had incredible results from carnivore. Weight loss, energy through the roof, fucked like a bull, slept 10x better, etc.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By CreamCheesePizza:
Reminder that red meat is a carcinogen rated on the same level as cigarettes and uranium- that being a substance we know, as well as we can know, can give you cancer.

Eating a steak or some sausage is not bad. Eating a steak or sausage once a day, or more, is asking for a colon cancer diagnosis.
View Quote
I suspect reducing sugar to minimal levels likely does far, far more to fight cancer than the red meat does to cause cancer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Lucky-Charm:
We as Homo Sapiens Sapiens like all other animals have evolved to eat only one food. Lions eat meat, cows eat grass, koala bears eat eucalyptus leaves etc.

Sure we can process other foods such as vegetables and fruits but it was only an evolutionary stop gap if we were unable to source animal protein and fat. Also keep in mind the fruits and vegetables during our first 3 millions years of evolution were vastly different than the crossbred or GMO fruits and vegetables of today.

In our modern society we have become accustomed to produce being available year round. Again during our evolutionary period these foods just wouldn't have been available less maybe a few month out of the year during summer months. These foods also are not very calorie dense a small group of evolving humans would have very quickly depleted this resource.

The notion that we need to eat fruit and veggies for vitamins and minerals for a balanced diet is just not correct.

Do what you want the plain and simple truth is Homo Sapiens are carnivores and meat and only meat is the food we were designed to eat and the food that fueled the species into the ultimate apex predator.
View Quote
Bottom line - we are marketed carbs because they are high profit margin items.
Americans are more unhealthy than at any time in human civilization. Life expectancy is higher because of medical technology, not diet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Reminder that red meat is a carcinogen rated on the same level as cigarettes and uranium- that being a substance we know, as well as we can know, can give you cancer.

Eating a steak or some sausage is not bad. Eating a steak or sausage once a day, or more, is asking for a colon cancer diagnosis.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
Dr Ken Berry (youtube) says stick to the outer aisles of the supermarket, which is pretty good (except for bread in some stores)
View All Quotes
I eat as clean as I possibly can, so yes no sweeteners. Unprocessed meat, butter, salt and water and some clean electrolytes(no flavorings) is what I have been doing. Don't feel like you must do this overnight. Listen to your body, and if something feels off, investigate it. Many folks will experience horrible agony if you make too many changes too fast. In fact its recommended by many doctors in the keto/carnivore space to transition over a 8 week period to avoid stress on the body.
Dr Ken Berry (youtube) says stick to the outer aisles of the supermarket, which is pretty good (except for bread in some stores)

That man is a pioneer in our time. Love his content. Dr. Chaffee and Dr. Baker are also great resources. And guys those of you saying they don't eat "perfect" carnivore, there is no "perfect" carnivore, its all individual and based on your needs and your body. The key thing is we got medical professionals who are actually thinking outside the box and finding solutions to problems.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Eating a food that increases inflammation in your body (carbs) is asking for cancer too. I wonder why my inflammation has come down so much since eating only meat? Fact of the matter is that if we live long enough, we will all develop cancer. But in the meantime, you may want to brush up on your medical research...https://biologicalsciences.uchicago.edu/news/tva-nutrient-cancer-immunity#:~:text=Trans%2Dvaccenic%20acid%20(TVA)%2C%20a%20long%2Dchain,from%20the%20University%20of%20Chicago.
View Quote

Smoking cigarettes also lowers your risk for Parkinsons- but at what cost?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Bottom line - we are marketed carbs because they are high profit margin items.
Americans are more unhealthy than at any time in human civilization. Life expectancy is higher because of medical technology, not diet.
View Quote

I think it is much more ideological than just $$$. The left really wants us to give up meat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

tiananmen square
天安门广场
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 15ladder:

Guys, when you stop eating carbs, all and any carbs, when you are at ZERO carb intake, you will stop craving them. Cook up a bunch of burgers,  chicken thighs, pork chops, bacon-save the bacon fat, put it on the less fatty meats. Hell,I've dipped bacon strips in bacon fat and eaten them .  Organ meat = liverwurst. Keep meat in the fridge for a snack. You'll see ads for Mac and cheese, tv commercials for pizza or burgers (my weakness) just avert your eyes. You're burning fat, especially the visceral belly fat that causes health problems. I went from squeezing into size 40 jeans to fitting into 38's. Long time since that's happened. I think this spring I'll aim for 36. Fatty meat. Fasted exercise. Stay the course!
View Quote
One of my favorite "snacks" is chicken wings or even cut up chicken breasts as "tenders".
I use my own sugarless rub, and use either buffalo sauce and sometimes mix in a little bbq.
I'm still looking for one that is low sugar and also no sucralose/stevia, etc....
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

I did carnivore for a month, then transitioned to paleo. This is the exact same thing I've been telling people since I started paleao.

There's no need to go down any of the isles at the grocery store.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Beans are really good for you. Tons of protein and fiber for healthy, giant shits.
View Quote

That is why chili is good for you
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I suspect reducing sugar to minimal levels likely does far, far more to fight cancer than the red meat does to cause cancer.
View All Quotes

You would be correct... Cancer cells reproduce through fermentation; Anybody who has ever brewed a beer, made bread, or fermented grapes into wine knows sugar/carbohydrate/glucose is needed for fermentation to occur.

Just look at the animal kingdom once again. The cancer rate in wild wolves is roughly 2% while domesticated k9's is roughly 48%. Now look at the back of the dog food bag and tell me how many grains are the kibble.

Problem is there is no money to be made in curing or greatly reducing cancer in humans through diet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:40:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CreamCheesePizza] [#16]
View All Quotes

Just saying, the evidence is as strong as it could possibly be.
Here's a meta review from the NIH, from a systematic review of 128 studies. Very high confidence intervals across the board:
This comprehensive systematic review and meta-analysis study showed that high red meat intake was positively associated with risk of breast cancer, endometrial cancer, colorectal cancer, colon cancer, rectal cancer, lung cancer, and hepatocellular carcinoma, and high processed meat intake was positively associated with risk of breast, colorectal, colon, rectal, and lung cancers. Higher risk of colorectal, colon, rectal, lung, and renal cell cancers were also observed with high total red and processed meat consumption.

Your risk for all manner of cancers rises, most significantly with colon and rectal cancers.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34455534/
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#17]
That man is a pioneer in our time. Love his content. Dr. Chaffee and Dr. Baker are also great resources. And guys those of you saying they don't eat "perfect" carnivore, there is no "perfect" carnivore, its all individual and based on your needs and your body. The key thing is we got medical professionals who are actually thinking outside the box and finding solutions to problems.
View All Quotes
I eat as clean as I possibly can, so yes no sweeteners. Unprocessed meat, butter, salt and water and some clean electrolytes(no flavorings) is what I have been doing. Don't feel like you must do this overnight. Listen to your body, and if something feels off, investigate it. Many folks will experience horrible agony if you make too many changes too fast. In fact its recommended by many doctors in the keto/carnivore space to transition over a 8 week period to avoid stress on the body.
I like his episode where he says, even if you are poor and can't afford grass fed, daily hand-massaged cows, you can just buy hotdogs and sausage for the short term. The benefits of even that will be better than eating chips and crackers and ice cream and bread and potatoes.

If there are two things I miss, they are fresh baked loaf bread (like sour dough or French baguette) with butter, and potatoes (fries, mashed, tater tots, baked, etc...)
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DonS:
I think it is much more ideological than just $$$. The left really wants us to give up meat.
View Quote
It started with breakfast cereal in the 30's(?). It's the worst possible way to start your day.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Scratch45:
That is why chili is good for you
View Quote
If only what one puts beans in was called chili
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Sounds like something the CCP would say.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#21]
It amazes in this day and age of technology and instantly-available information, there are still so many smooth-brains spouting 50+ year old junk science.

The Carnivore Diet (and its variations) are fantastic.

Eat. The. Steak.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]
It started with breakfast cereal in the 30's(?). It's the worst possible way to start your day.
View Quote

10s or 20s.

The Kellog Brothers were fucking weirdos.

Pinkos, segregationists, euginicists, and believed the consumption of meat made us lustful, and sex was a bad thing.

Their bland, wheat cereal was invented as a meat & egg substitution to remove these lustful thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#23]
absolutely zero carb?  No fruits or veggies?  I couldn't do that!  Glad it works for you OP.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:

Eggs and the big tubes of 80/20 beef are pretty cheap especially when you are buying nothing else.
View Quote

I am an idiot regarding this stuff.  Are you talking about 80/20 Ground Beef?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Here's a meta review from the NIH, from a systematic review of 128 studies. Very high confidence intervals across the board:

Your risk for all manner of cancers rises, most significantly with colon and rectal cancers.
View All Quotes

This comprehensive systematic review and meta-analysis study showed that high red meat intake was positively associated with risk of breast cancer, endometrial cancer, colorectal cancer, colon cancer, rectal cancer, lung cancer, and hepatocellular carcinoma, and high processed meat intake was positively associated with risk of breast, colorectal, colon, rectal, and lung cancers. Higher risk of colorectal, colon, rectal, lung, and renal cell cancers were also observed with high total red and processed meat consumption.

The problem with those studies is they are surveying folks who eat meat WITH other stuff. There has been very limited data on folks that JUST eat meat and animal products. The other thing you have to consider is if carnivore gets people off harmful medications, that also lowers risk due to the complications all medications have. Basically I would rather have 50 good years than 80 bad years, although I have seen no data that actually proves eating this way decreases lifespan.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

tiananmen square
天安门广场
View All Quotes

tiananmen square
天安门广场

That caught me off guard.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Paid for by the WEF to reduce your carbon footprint live in the pod and eat the bugs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TarawaS2000:

That caught me off guard.
View Quote

Was hoping the party might cut off his internet but he must be connected
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Paid for by the WEF to reduce your carbon footprint live in the pod and eat the bugs.
View All Quotes

Yes sir!
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Beans are really good for you. Tons of protein and fiber for healthy, giant shits.
View Quote

Beans are also carbs, and not in the Carnivore diet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 15ladder:

Beans are also carbs, and not in the Carnivore diet.
View Quote

They are also slam full of lectins and oxalates.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Ask me how I know you are vaxxed and still wear a mask.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Oh my goodness; You doubled down by quoting an NIH study!  

The NIH has zero credibility left.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Utahshooting:

You're eating Florida?
View Quote
Florida after all the fat New Yorkers moved in.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

That same study shows that "low intake of red meat is an equal risk factor for colorectal cancer"

It also shows that fresh meat is closer to the null and less heterogeneous than processed meat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Mr_Nasty99:

That same study shows that "low intake of red meat is an equal risk factor for colorectal cancer"

It also shows that fresh meat is closer to the null and less heterogeneous than processed meat.
View Quote

Yeah definitely a difference between hotdogs and grassfed beef/lamb.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Congrats.  I have been on and off carnivore for about 5 years.  

I did a year strict carnivore. Only meat, eggs, and cheese.
I went from 390 down to 280.  

Never had constipation. Your body absorbs fats and proteins very good.

I do supplement with vitamins.  

For snacks I love pork rinds, those cheese and salami rolls, snack sticks (gotta check the carbs, some have them) and hard boiled eggs.

I take breaks during the end of the year.  Deer season and holidays are my break.  
Most times I have a cheat day every month.

Upside? Weight loss is easy.  Inflammation is almost nonexistent.  I have no proof, but my immune system is better.  When I catch something that is going around work, I am better than 90% of my coworkers.  

The downsides?   You do lose some muscle mass.  The body stores a lot of glycogen in the muscles.  It does make a difference in size, don’t know if that is a concern to you.

How to afford it. It’s not that much.  Think about how much a steak dinner costs you. Steak, corn, mashed potatoes, etc.  now just dot that paying for the steak.
You can really save money by buying custom meat.  Buy a half a pig or a cow.  It is crazy how cheap it is.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Carnivore is the way.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ckh1980:

What app is that
View All Quotes

My fitness pal
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By revengeismine:
Did the carnivore diet for a bit: totally constipated the shit out of me...turned to Paleo and helped me lose 50lbs over 3/4 months.
View Quote

What does this mean?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mercworx:
I just started a few days ago.

Previously had lost 80lbs most of it from doing keto.

Gained about 40lbs back after I became a father. So trying Carnivore now.

Have you given up artificial sweeteners? Are you doing straight meat, salt water? I find that to be the hardest part. I miss Coke Zero ect.
View Quote

Artificial sweeteners will trigger an autonomic response, your brain expects a sweet/sugar intake, so it causes an insulin release in preparation, much like expecting a tasty meal will cause your mouth to water.
One point of carno diet is to reduce the amount of insulin flowing through your body all the time.
As your body gets used to the presence of insulin all the time, it starts to require increasing amounts of insulin to regulate blood sugar, and thats one pathway to diabetes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By OldGlazier:

What does this mean?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OldGlazier:
Originally Posted By revengeismine:
Did the carnivore diet for a bit: totally constipated the shit out of me...turned to Paleo and helped me lose 50lbs over 3/4 months.

What does this mean?

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
In before the constipation thread...
View Quote

Fiber being an essential nutrient is a myth.

You ahit kess on a carnivore diet because meat is so bio available to us (almost like we, idk, evolved to eat meat) and we absorb 95% plus of meat we consume.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

No dairy, carbs or sugars.

After a month I will start adding a little.

I am also working on portion control.

That steak will make 4 meals for me, where before I would eat the whole thing.

The only downside is that I am always cold now…

But I really have to drop some pounds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:
You got dairy on the list?  No carbs or sugar?

I'm shure GD can get you a couple thiccc Latinas or Midcap spec women to keep you warm
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By kaos:

Artificial sweeteners will trigger an autonomic response, your brain expects a sweet/sugar intake, so it causes an insulin release in preparation, much like expecting a tasty meal will cause your mouth to water.
One point of carno diet is to reduce the amount of insulin flowing through your body all the time.
As your body gets used to the presence of insulin all the time, it starts to require increasing amounts of insulin to regulate blood sugar, and thats one pathway to diabetes.
View Quote

If that were true wouldn't you become hypoglycemic?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
Ancel Keys selectively cherry picked and fabricated much of his data and created the whole 'anti-meat' movement, and has since been debunked.
There are metric truckloads of data denouncing him and his findings.

As an added bonus, the rate of heart attack, stroke, and weight gain correlates closely with his bogus science as well as the replacement of animal fats used in cooking with processed vegetable and seed oils starting in the late 1800s when they figured out how to do it, and booming in the 1970's, '80's and '90's.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#48]
They are also slam full of lectins and oxalates.
View Quote
plenty of that in leafy greens.
Collared greens are perfect for Keto
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kaos] [#49]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gitarmac:
Originally Posted By kaos:

Your body will adapt to not eating carbs/sugars.
When you're in ketosis - your body will produce all the blood sugars you need from metabolising fat.
And your body will adapt to much lower levels of required insulin.
High levels of insulin will hamper your body's ability to metabolize your stored body fat when you start running low on blood sugar, and eating 'any extra' carbs will increase your insulin keeping you out of ketosis.

One of the OTHER magic bullets to reducing insulin is to cut out ALL snacking.
Eat meat until you're pleasantly stuffed, and once you're adapted to ketosis - you won't feel the need to snack or break your fast until your next meal 20+ hours later.
After that - boredom while doing your normal T.V. or recreation will be one of the only reasons you'll feel like snacking on a bag of potato chips, or a handful of cookies.

Edited for a bit of clarity.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Annarchy] [#50]

View Quote

It has probably been mentioned… proteins are great…beef, fish, chicken, beans, etc….  toss in a tossed salad with ham/turkey/chicken.  Include a veggie, doesn’t have to be more than a cup, but the vitamins are worth it.  Occasional garlic toast, or a minor pasta, as a side dish, and an occasional bread, like garlic toast.

Your body will adjust, especially if you are used to eating a variety of foods.

I’ve lost 25 + lbs, going primarily protein.  (In the last 6 months).  However, I have cream of wheat with soaked apples & raw honey, about once a week, or fish in butter & salt….or some left over cold meat, in the morning.  (Hypoglycemic,,,gotta eat something…)

If’n I loose any more weight, I will have to check with my doctor…. I’m down to the weight I was when DH met me, 40+ years ago…..and complained I looked like a toothpick.

P.S.  I fix one meal a day, usually around 3 p.m.  Breakfast for me is 4 -5 a.m.  Just enough to keep me going until I cook in the afternoon.  After that…water……He munches as he wants during the night…..IDK, IDC…enjoy….

Page / 36
Top Top