Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/8/2024 4:37:59 PM EDT
Interesting...

Donald Trump has made new tariffs a centerpiece of his potential second-term economic agenda, and he could try to force them into existence much more rapidly than many might be expecting.
His allies are exploring an array of legally untested and potentially disruptive options that experts say could prove to be a second destabilizing force for global markets on top of the duties themselves.
What the former president wants to do "quickly" is push up tariff levels to heights not seen in recent history. He could spur new inflation with plans to implement up to 60% duties on many Chinese goods and 10% levels on other major trading partners.
"It may be more than that," Trump added on how high things could go in a recent interview with Time.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-wants-to-levy-his-new-tariff-regime-quickly-heres-how-long-it-might-take-080028448.html
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: redfish86] [#1]
Good

Build shit in America. Fuck chy na

Someone PLEASE explain to me how unions wouldn’t be onboard by supporting a POTUS who would bring more work to this country
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Build it here / buy it here.
It's what we use to do.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
In before someone cries that their iPhone will cost $10,000 because of Trump.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Good.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Good shouldn't have trade deficits

Particularly with enemy countries

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Fucking stupid. Only a complete economic illiterate can support that. Much of what is built here has Chinese components.

We will all pay billions in new taxes in the form of higher prices due to tariffs paid to the government. The higher prices are not helping anyone but to feed the government more money and power.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By batmanacw:
Fucking stupid. Only a complete economic illiterate can support that. Much of what is built here has Chinese components.

We will all pay billions in new taxes in the form of higher prices due to tariffs paid to the government. The higher prices are not helping anyone but to feed the government more money and power.
View Quote

Maybe we could you know… build those components here? Guess that’s just fucking stupid too?

We need to start building back the manufacturing sector here at some point (shoulda never left but the FIRE types run the show).
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone should understand that all tariffs are paid by the end consumer. There is nothing to celebrate here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
It's what we use to do.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cmmeur01:

Maybe we could you know… build those components here? Guess that’s just fucking stupid too?

We need to start building back the manufacturing sector here at some point (shoulda never left but the FIRE types run the show).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Are you familiar with the concept of a component meeting the requirements of the manufacturer and the price point necessary for the product to sell? You think you can force a company to buy much, much higher priced components just because, and you will not destroy that company with shear stupidity?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Are you familiar with the concept of a component meeting the requirements of the manufacturer and the price point necessary for the product to sell? You think you can force a company to buy much, much higher priced components just because, and you will not destroy that company with shear stupidity?
View Quote

So you’re saying we can’t make things that meet specs and china is just innately better at making stuff?

Maybe they’ll just you know, raise prices like they do on everything else? And then with that money they make, can pay Americans better wages to afford the stuff?

No one is saying it’s gonna be easy, but nothing worth a fuck ever is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Ah yes, let’s keep taking the easy road because it benefits you financially. Fuck all the future generations.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By staringback05:
Good shouldn't have trade deficits

Particularly with enemy countries

View Quote
This is the issue.

Trade is good, free trade with nations where we can benefit is good, free trade with China, Russia, and a few others is fucking dumb.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JKH62:
It's what we use to do.
View Quote

I'm all for it. Just have to figure out what we're going to replace the stabilizing influence of global trade with.

If anybody is close to Trump here, ask him to run his policy by a professional this time, somebody in customs compliance. The amount of avoidable, wasteful stupidity the last time around was insane.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#15]
He promised that last time. Maybe his 2nd amendment coalition can work on this after we get the hearing protection act.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]
In theory I 100% agree with this, but in practice it may have worse repercussions.

Economist's commonly cite the Smoot- Hawley Tarriff Act of 1930 as one of the leading causes of the Great Depression. In an effort to protect the American farming industry from cheaper food imports a 20% tariff was added to goods coming into the US. This in turn hurt global trade after 25 countries imposed their own tariffs on US exports.

Soon, 25 countries retaliated by increasing their own tariffs. As a result, international trade declined drastically, resulting in a worldwide decline of 66% between 1929 and 1934. Both U.S. exports and imports dropped substantially.
View Quote

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/smoot-hawley-tariff-act.asp
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Everyone should understand that all tariffs are paid by the end consumer. There is nothing to celebrate here.
View Quote
I own a manufacturing business, this is true to some extent but it's never that simple.  The market will bear a price, when I quote things, material and labor and other expenses aren't the only consideration.  I try to maximize what I can charge within the confines of my competition and market conditions.

In an honest, un-manipulated market Freedmans take on comparative advantage works well.  The problem is we don't have an honest un-manipulated market.  The chinese in particular have a strategy of under cutting industrial producers so severely that they destroy all the competitive players and become the worlds only significant source of shipping for example.  This is a strategic vulnerability.

I've had to go head to head with chinese companies for 20 years now, and I've watched industrial capacity in the US get hollowed out because of it.  I've seen the winning quotes on projects where I have more cost in raw materials than my chinese competition has in the whole job.  Steel is a global commodity...that shouldn't be possible.  

Two things, 1. this is correcting slowly, chinese can't respond well to customer concerns and shipping and supply chains have proven to be very vulnerable. 2. you guys always fall for Trumps shtick. He always shoot for the moon and then backs off to a more reasonable position, always..
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

So when we get in a shooting war with China are we going send a stern note when they won’t supply parts for our war machine? That’ll show em!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

This post was Ping Ping as fuck!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
View Quote

I think everyone gets that. I think it’s worth it to manufacture stuff here again.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By K2QB3:

I'm all for it. Just have to figure out what we're going to replace the stabilizing influence of global trade with.

If anybody is close to Trump here, ask him to run his policy by a professional this time, somebody in customs compliance. The amount of avoidable, wasteful stupidity the last time around was insane.
View Quote
Global trade is fine with friends.  Maybe be a friend and the world will be more stable?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HillaryClinton:
In theory I 100% agree with this, but in practice it may have worse repercussions.

Economist's commonly cite the Smoot- Hawley Tarriff Act of 1930 as one of the leading causes of the Great Depression. In an effort to protect the American farming industry from cheaper food imports a 20% tariff was added to goods coming into the US. This in turn hurt global trade after 25 countries imposed their own tariffs on US exports.

View Quote
We already did this once, the world didn't end.  In fact its one of the few things poopy pants didn't undo totally out of spite.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:06:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RoccoOnFire] [#23]
He should focus on improving the regulatory environment to be production friendly instead of levying taxes. I can understand some protective tariffs for domestic industries for national security purposes, but these basically blanket tariffs don't make a lot of sense without fixing other issues first.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#24]
We can't have manufacturing and continue to pay +$80,000 a year in welfare to families of four to not work.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Looks like I'll get mileage out of this again.

Everyone has already forgotten prices were increasing AND shortages were starting in some industries before COVID came.

It's just easier to blame Biden.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RoccoOnFire:
He should focus on improving the regulatory environment to be production friendly instead of levying taxes. I can understand some protective tariffs for domestic industries for national security purposes, but these basically blanket tariffs don't make a lot of sense without fixing other issues first.
View Quote

This is an area where "get both" applies. Some folks don't realize that there is no Chinese "private sector". All businesses are owned by the Chicoms. As such, they can choose to undercut any price in any industry in order to drive competitors out. And, they have done just that in many industries. Our private sector cannot compete with their CCP owned businesses since the playing field is not level. Until that is corrected, our industries will continue to atrophy and our manufacturing jobs will not return. So, it's not *just* our regulatory environment that (desperately) needs to be fixed but the entire competitive environment that needs to be fixed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#27]
MAGA
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#28]
What the Germans and Japanese tried to do to us in wartime, Trump will now try to do to us in peacetime
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Trump installed a bunch of tariffs when he was pres. And people screeched about how that would drive run away inflation. But there was none.

The inflation has happened under Biden, and it has nothing to do with tariffs.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Yup.

I made this one last go around too.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I work in IT in an industry that is very tech heavy.  We would just see our costs go up quite a bit with this.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Nations will retaliate against our agriculture exports
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Consigli:
Trump installed a bunch of tariffs when he was pres. And people screeched about how that would drive run away inflation. But there was none.

The inflation has happened under Biden, and it has nothing to do with tariffs.

View Quote

Like clockwork.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MaverickH1:
https://i.imgur.com/xvwBILo.jpeg

Looks like I'll get mileage out of this again.

Everyone has already forgotten prices were increasing AND shortages were starting in some industries before COVID came.

It's just easier to blame Biden.
View Quote

Easier to blame Biden than blame the themselves for raising children who expect the world to be given to them for free.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:30:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MaverickH1] [#35]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Nations will retaliate against our agriculture exports
View Quote

Trump will just pay farmers with the tariff income like he did last time and brag about it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Fair2Middlin:

Ah yes, let’s keep taking the easy road because it benefits you financially. Fuck all the future generations.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fair2Middlin:

You will destroy the next generation with your hubris.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:31:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I've seen the logical arguments against tariffs and yes they increase the costs of goods that use components produced overseas. But, when Trump imposed tariffs there was a significant move by manufacturers to build products here. There were expansions plans by other manufacturers to produce more products in house that they had made over seas.
I personally know two large manufacturers that scrapped their expansion plans when Biden was elected. Now they are cutting jobs because product demand has gone in the shitter and that's because people no longer have $100-$200 discretionary money every month to spend on their products because that's getting spent on fuel and groceries and everything else that has skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:32:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: odiedodi] [#38]

You will destroy the next generation with your hubris.
View Quote
They've already been destroyed. Fuck globalism. Bring that shit back.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By redfish86:
Good

Someone PLEASE explain to me how unions wouldn’t be onboard by supporting a POTUS who would bring more work to this country
View Quote

Unions love communist policy.  This is nothing new.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:33:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#40]
Originally Posted By redfish86:
Good

View Quote

Union members might support that union executives likely won’t they will then remind there locals to vote for the union
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Black market on Sexdolls.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#42]

So you’re saying we can’t make things that meet specs and china is just innately better at making stuff?

Maybe they’ll just you know, raise prices like they do on everything else? And then with that money they make, can pay Americans better wages to afford the stuff?

View All Quotes

Not all products need top quality, top price components. Forcing companies to upgrade that which does not need to be upgraded will kill jobs and eat up money that otherwise might go to buy American goods. The stupidity is thinking you can control the market and how it reacts to being controlled.

The unintended consequences are always worse than the cure. You know this and yet you demand government control.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TheAffiliate:
Black market on Sexdolls.
View Quote

Buy now before the price of fake skin goes up!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:35:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MaverickH1] [#44]
Originally Posted By xd341:
We already did this once, the world didn't end.  In fact its one of the few things poopy pants didn't undo totally out of spite.
View Quote

Biden didn't undo it because commie unions love protectionist tariffs on their industry.

It's yet another tax you and I will pay indirectly to special interests.

I also own a manufacturing business.  My biggest jobs that I used to make have gone to China.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HillaryClinton:

I bet you don't understand why shits so expensive, yo! Just another brick in the wall.....
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Wow! Look at all the anti-tariff bros come out of the woodwork!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

I want US companies to beat the fuck out of China, and they do so daily. I do not want idiots trying to control what our companies buy and sell to try and fix the market. They simply don't know shit and governments fix is ALWAYS worse than the problem.

Make our business more competitive by getting the fuck out of the way.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Where you around when he was in office before? Trump uses the threat of tariffs as a negotiation tool.

I'm not a fan of tariffs but don't pull your punches in negotiations. He'll impose a tariff and they come back to the negotiation table.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Consigli:
Wow! Look at all the anti-tariff bros come out of the woodwork!
View Quote
Don't bully them too hard, even libertarians are god's creatures.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

This is an area where "get both" applies. Some folks don't realize that there is no Chinese "private sector". All businesses are owned by the Chicoms. As such, they can choose to undercut any price in any industry in order to drive competitors out. And, they have done just that in many industries. Our private sector cannot compete with their CCP owned businesses since the playing field is not level. Until that is corrected, our industries will continue to atrophy and our manufacturing jobs will not return. So, it's not *just* our regulatory environment that (desperately) needs to be fixed but the entire competitive environment that needs to be fixed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By planemaker:

I don't know if everyone realizes it but we beat the shit out of China on lots and lots of shit every day. We make a huge amount of shit here. Better shit than China in industries where it matters.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top