Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2024 9:37:20 AM EDT
Bunch of us are heading to the Munich area in August for a couple weeks (was in Germany Dec 83 to June of 86) on vacation and I'm trying to come up with the perfect travel lens and tripod for my D780.

Have a Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 Piezo Drive VC, but really have never used it that much.   Wld prob work ok.    Have heavy fast lenses, but don't want to carry them.

Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR......   this lens looks light and decent.    Not sure if I wld want or miss more reach, tho.

Not sure on tripods yet......small, compact, and light.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:59:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Canon SX60 that has a 65x optical zoom.  (20mm-1365mm equivalent)  It is, by far, the most versatile camera I've ever owned.  If I was going to Germany to take pictures, I would geek out on camera gear.  If I was going for the experience and to see the sights, I would take my light-weight, versatile SX60, and never wish I had a different lens with me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Nikon 24-120 f/4 or Sigma 24-105 f/4.

The Peak Design travel tripod is cool. There's some knockoff ones like Ulazni and Coman.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Lens

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beavo451:

The Peak Design travel tripod is cool. There's some knockoff ones like Ulazni and Coman.
View Quote

I like my PD carbon fiber, but if you're going to do any panning, you'll need a different head (plus the Universal Mount) or at least an ARCA base pan adapter. The stock head is a ball only.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:04:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#5]
My solution for the Hawaii trip was 3 lenses:
Tokina 11-16
Nikon 24-120 (and if you can only take one lens, this is the one)
Nikon 70-300 (the now-discontinued good one)

Tripod is a Manfrotto BeFree travel tripod (has a ball head standard) with an RRS ARCA clamp swapped out from the Manfrotto proprietary clamp.  I have RRS L-plates on all my bodies.

Body and one lens goes in a Tenba BYOB 10, the other two lenses fit in a Tenba BYOB 9.

Take a lens pen and some lens wipes (foil packet moist).  All that fits in a standard book bag type backpack. Lash tripod in case to outside, or carry separately.

But if you can only take one lens, take the 24-120.  It's amazing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm heartened to see all the love for the 24-120.

It truly is a fantastic lens.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Thx so much for all the recommendations.    Having this delivered Monday.....$115.  

Will have to actually walk around with it and see if it will be a good fit.   Gonna keep my eyes open for a 24-120, since I agree,.think that is about travel lens perfection.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like my Nikkor 24-120 f/4.  It replaces my 24-85 f/2.8-4.0, and the 24-50 I had long before that.  My only complaint is that it doesn't have a zoom lock to keep it from extending when worn on my pack strap.

For tripods, I really like my Sirui T-1205X - it goes into the mountains with me every time I'm bringing a DSLR.

Combined with some ND filters and a lot of patience, it can really make crowds of people disappear.  Very Stalinesque.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
I really like my Nikkor 24-120 f/4.  It replaces my 24-85 f/2.8-4.0, and the 24-50 I had long before that.  My only complaint is that it doesn't have a zoom lock to keep it from extending when worn on my pack strap.

For tripods, I really like my Sirui T-1205X - it goes into the mountains with me every time I'm bringing a DSLR.

Combined with some ND filters and a lot of patience, it can really make crowds of people disappear.  Very Stalinesque.
View Quote

I'm going to have to try that out some time.  Wish I'd thought of it when I was at the Alamo in 2022.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

I'm going to have to try that out some time.  Wish I'd thought of it when I was at the Alamo in 2022.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What does that mean?    You wizards lost me.    🤔
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:39:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#11]
Originally Posted By vmax84:

View Quote

Neutral density filter.

You use an ND filter to create a very long exposure. The long exposure”hides” the crowds as they’re not in the frame “long enough” to show up compared to your subject (ie they don’t reflect enough light to have any real effect on the image).

You know how you can create that misty water look on a waterfall with an ND filter?  Same concept.

It’s like how a spinning propeller disappears on a plane. Same concept, different timescale.

GOO16022 Outbound Belly of the Beast by FredMan, on Flickr

J3 at LKU Freeman Field by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There were probably no less than 15 people milling around, half of them with spray paint.  I can only make out the ghost of one person at the far right, his torso skylined just to the right of the rightmost sorghum stalk...

It's a 4 minute exposure, mid day.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top