Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/29/2024 5:33:35 PM EDT
Is there a gun that is more misleading than this one ?

For all your youth you have watched movies and played games in which it looks like this awesome light and small sub machine gun, and when you hold it for the 1st time it feels like it’s made of lead and that your arms are too short and your hands too small?

10 years ago when I first shot one I was super disappointed.

Still, I had to have one.

Sten - check
Ppsh43 - check
Tommygun m1a1 - check

Now to find an mp40.. that’s gonna be the most difficult one I am afraid.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#1]
always wanted a colt thompson, like the gangsters used. picked one up one time at a collector's home and could not believe how heavy it was.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Tommy guns are best shot from the hip while chewing a cigar.

They're not made for humans to shoot like a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:35:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#3]
Not a fan, personally.  Weighs MORE than a Garand.  Shoots a pistol round.  The thing is just a beast - but every portrail is like it's a 5lb gun.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't argue with the OP but I will also add that early ones are also a bitch to tear down.
They do, however, run like sewing machines.

Also - MP40 is super sweet to shoot.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The first semi auto centerfire gun I ever shot was a Thompson Carbine. It looked so cool but as soon as I had it in my hands all I could think was.

"This feels like a football bat."

I suppose these things happen when you're one of the first of a certain type of weapon. At least it wasn't as much of an ergonomic mess as the Villar-Perosa.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
May I suggest the Beretta 1938 aka Modello 38.  A very pleasant subgun to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tuco22] [#7]
Get an M3 and a Reising or you will never be complete.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Though it's not as overpowered in Resident Evil 4 Remake as it was in the original Resident Evil 4, it is still arguably the best weapon in the game.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
M1a1 takes drums?

I need a drum then
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shung:
M1a1 takes drums?

I need a drum then
View Quote
No they don't unless you mill it for one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Try lifting and aiming a boat anchor. That's was my first and only experience with the Thompson.

Heavy, like Midcap heavy, that kind of heavy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tspike] [#12]
I shot a pre WW2 Thompson 1921A, it was pretty clunky shooting it but it was fun. I wish I had one lol.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#13]
So easy to stay on target.

Fun, wouldn’t want to carry one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By st0newall:
always wanted a colt thompson, like the gangsters used. picked one up one time at a collector's home and could not believe how heavy it was.
View Quote

Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:

View Quote

Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Not a fan, personally.  Weighs MORE than a Garand ten boxes.  Shoots a pistol round.  The thing is just a beast - but every portrail is like it's a 5lb gun.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpt_Kirks] [#15]
The Thompson Submachinegun.

The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every borg in the room, accept no substitutes.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I never realized how awkward they would be to shoulder.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Never liked them personally, but my comparison is probably not fair... As I shot an MP40 first.  That's like going from a BMW to a Model T.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
The first semi auto centerfire gun I ever shot was a Thompson Carbine. It looked so cool but as soon as I had it in my hands all I could think was.

I suppose these things happen when you're one of the first of a certain type of weapon. At least it wasn't as much of an ergonomic mess as the Villar-Perosa.
View Quote

Nothing made like it since then.
Because lessons were learned
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:10:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#19]
First job out of the Army was working at Automatic Weaponry in Nashville. Owned by Roger Small. Stripped, rebarreled and reblued or parkerized so many Thompsons. I was sick of seeing Thompsons. Did shit tons of M60's and M2HB's also.
Roger had a pretty good thing going on when he decided to retire. He had a very sizable MG collection that was his "retirement account".

Thompsons were fun to shoot. Heavy bitches, but fun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Capt-Planet:

View Quote

You forgot the couple of .50 cal belts on your body.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Gun Jesus has some good videos on them.

They are/we're milled from solid metal stock. I'm sure that is why they are so heavy. They were also very expensive and slow to produce because of all the milling required.

Check out the vids.  Lots of info.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#22]
My dad had me pick a M1928 up when I was 8 or 9, and I could barely lift it.  So I didn't really have much time to know they existed before finding out what a bloated pig they are.  

Stg44s are surprisingly heavy too, but not nearly as bad. It's hillarious to hear people talk about how controllable they are in full auto compared to an AKM...if you strapped a 3lb lead weight to an AK, it would also be very controllable.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I remember wanting one badly and went to a gun store with the cash to buy one - then I picked it up.  

Sure, they're heavy, but also like you mention ergonomically it just feels bad.  That killed all my desire to have one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#24]
One of the high points of my career as a recreational shooter was getting to run a magazine through a Thompson f/a.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:21:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdgecrusherXES] [#25]
They are fun to shoot and would be cool to own but I would not have wanted it to be my weapon in WW2.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
They are fun to shoot and would be cool to own but I would not have wanted it to be my weapon in WW2.
View Quote

M2 Carbine all the way.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#27]

For all your youth you have watched movies and played games in which it looks like this awesome light and small sub machine gun, and when you hold it for the 1st time it feels like it’s made of lead and that your arms are too short and your hands too small?

Sten - check
Ppsh43 - check
Tommygun m1a1 - check

View Quote

Fired tommy and mp40 both full auto when i was a teen,  also the 44.   Mp40 was my favorite.  Easy to hold and control.  Thompson you had to lean forward and do small burst.  Only thing i remember from the 44 was you had to wrap a rag around the handguard because it got too hot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:30:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueSpear2023] [#28]
Those drum mags I bet weighed 5lbs on their own when full. I shot one once didn’t find the Thompson to be not ergonomic from the shoulder from the hip on full auto it was fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:31:34 PM EDT
[#29]
MP34 > Thompson
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

M2 Carbine all the way.

Kharn
View Quote

absolutely.
those things kick ass.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#31]
its a little heavy but fun as fuck to shoot.

I rented the mp40 but fucker jammed every shot.  so they had me pick another and the thompson was a smooth operator.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#32]
A full auto one is fun as hell to shoot, a semi only 16'' one makes Baby Jesus cry.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Proof the greatest generation was the greatest generation...jumped out of a boat into the ocean with that anchor, then ran up the beach soaking wet and killed some Natzis with it. My balls aren't that big.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:46:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
The M1A1 Thompson Submachinegun.

The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every borg in the room, accept no substitutes.

https://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/a/ae/Tommygun-picard.jpg/800px-Tommygun-picard.jpg

View Quote

Except Picard is shooting an M1928.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Delta10mm:
Gun Jesus has some good videos on them.

They are/we're milled from solid metal stock. I'm sure that is why they are so heavy. They were also very expensive and slow to produce because of all the milling required.

Check out the vids.  Lots of info.
View Quote

Don’t say that too much. Arfcom doesn’t like Ian. Not sure why.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Gator:

I remember wanting one badly and went to a gun store with the cash to buy one - then I picked it up.  

Sure, they're heavy, but also like you mention ergonomically it just feels bad.  That killed all my desire to have one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gator:

My only other frames of reference for handling an actual rifle at that point in my life were an AUG that I didn't get to shoot and a badly rotted Spanish Mauser 93 I had been able to buy for $30. Even with that limited experience I just knew it wasn't some thing I had to have.

I did shoot it fairly well though. I was the one guy using the sights and not spraying from the hip. 5 Shots, 5 dead clay pigeons on a berm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#37]

M2 Carbine all the way.

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

M2 Carbine all the way.

Kharn

Barely counts as a WW2 weapon; saw far more usage in Korea & Vietnam.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By xanadu:
Try lifting and aiming a boat anchor. That's was my first and only experience with the Thompson.

Heavy, like Midcap heavy, that kind of heavy.
View Quote

I love the way they look, when I held one I fell in love with the AR all over again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Sten - check
Ppsh43 - check
Tommygun m1a1 - check

View Quote

There is a class 3 dealer in Hilliard Ohio called gun world. The guy has several mp40s and he’s kind of a gruff asshole
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Jeremy2171:
No they don't unless you mill it for one.
View Quote

Tell the rest of the story about what you do when the drum runs dry.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#41]
When I was a kid, a friend's dad had six in his gun display case. Looking back, I'm sure all were full auto.  I didn't realize the awesomeness at the time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Was amazing to see the Russian Wagner Group PMCs  enter those mines in Ukraine filled with cases of old arsenal surplus including cases of brand new unissued Thompsons.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm big, strong, and have big hands... so it feels right to me... but that bolt moving back and forth on auto is something to get used to.

I love the Thompson!  All time classic!

If you want a light SMG... Glock with stock, extended mag, and an autoswitch is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Sten - check
Ppsh43 - check
Tommygun m1a1 - check

View Quote

I've shot a full-auto Thompson.  Fairly over rated IMHO.  [Cool to look at though...]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:07:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I own a Colt Thompson 1921AC. It’s the iconic “gangster” gun but it is the worst handling SMG I have ever shot. Nothing on that gun is in the right place, the weight being top of the list.

MP5 my favorite with full size UZI and MAC10 w/LageMAX45 upper coming in a close second and third.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I got to hold one at a gun store back near Kansas City, MO several years ago.  I was amazed and unprepared for the weight of it when the guy handed it over the counter to me.  At a gun show in KC, a table had a German MG-42 on display on a tripod, and I got to hold it.  I told my friend to take a couple of pics as I held it.  As he's futzing with his camera, I'm thinking "Hurry up! This thing is getting heavier by the minute!"

I told the guy I'd hate to be the soldier that had to schlep that thing around during the way.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#47]
It's amusing to me that a US soldier in the 2nd WW could have grown up w/ a Thompson on a farm, get to basic, and be the expert Thompson gunner on Day 1.  And if his Da was smart enough to register it as a corporate gun and make his son an officer of the corporation, he probably could have carried his family's Thompson machine gun in combat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
The M1A1 Thompson Submachinegun.

https://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/a/ae/Tommygun-picard.jpg/800px-Tommygun-picard.jpg

View Quote
except that's not an M1A1...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#49]
You can't say you own those and not post their pics!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#50]
If I won the lottery I would own a few full auto Tommy guns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top