User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
168 this morning. My body fat according to my cheap calipers is down a percent. I can tell me chest and arms are growing a tad as are my legs undoubtedly from cycling.
View Quote

Nice work dude, keep it up!

Seems that you're doing one of the most difficult and important things - consistency.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Gator:

Seems that you're doing one of the most difficult and important things - consistency.
View Quote

I am pretty consistent, especially on diet. I also work out probably five out of seven days. It's one of those deals where you don't want to but you really want to at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

Been there, hang in there man.

I’m told it gets better, still waiting for that part.
View Quote

I think we are all still waiting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#4]

I am pretty consistent, especially on diet. I also work out probably five out of seven days. It's one of those deals where you don't want to but you really want to at the same time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Don't remember which vid, but it was said in a Renaissance Periodization vid and stuck (one of the best fitness YouTube channels BTW).

It's going day after day, week after week, month after month, and possibly year after year.  You keep it up and over time can make some incredible transformation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have eaten more yogurt in the past few weeks than I have in my entire life combined.

I am right at 169 and holding but my body fat is below 17 on the crappy calipers. So I am adding muscle and that is a good thing. I can tell a difference in my arms and chest.

I am to the point where I look forward to working out again. As we know it takes awhile to get back to this point after being lazy for awhile.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#6]
The true weight loss secret is portion control.

Paladin
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I have eaten more yogurt in the past few weeks than I have in my entire life combined.

I am right at 169 and holding but my body fat is below 17 on the crappy calipers. So I am adding muscle and that is a good thing. I can tell a difference in my arms and chest.

I am to the point where I look forward to working out again. As we know it takes awhile to get back to this point after being lazy for awhile.
View Quote

Good job, man! Keep it up!

And good on you for actually tracking your bodyfat %. Helps you track progress even when you’re not seeing much change in bodyweight.

Yep, most people don’t know how fat they really are, and most fat people really DON’T WANT to know (when a bunch of coworkers had their ‘Biggest Loser’ contest, I offered to measure anyone’s bodyfat percentage, so they could see what their starting bf% and ending bf% was. Zero takers. Based on experience doing skinfold measurements over the decades, the guys in the contest ranged from 30+% to 50+%. One of them was 400+lbs at 5’6”).
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:42:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Jillian Michaels on live tv also saying, 'stop eating, fatties'

Jillian Michaels: This data is irrefutable
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Sgt. Rudy Reyes: Actually, I’m going to hell out here. Back home, all I eat is sushi and  vegetables. The nutrition here is garbage. You know, I think Sheree and I are gonna move to San Francisco. There are no fat people there.
Cpl. Anthony Jacks: Rudy, why would you give a fuck if there’s fat people where you live?
Sgt. Rudy Reyes: Brother, I wanna live where people care about themselves.
View Quote

Generation Kill - 50% of America is Obese

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:23:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#10]
So a new problem has developed. I just ordered jeans in a 32 and now I think I might have to drop to 30. Mind you we all know jeans vary greatly in sizing from brand to brand. however, as far as waist size in pants this has to about be the bottom for me.

This past week had me a little off from working out missing a number of days. However I seemingly needed it as my performance has increased since then. I have been watching a youtube channel called AthleanX and I am really buying into what they guy is saying. Diets dont work as they by nature represent a change that is temporary in nature. Instead an overhaul of how and what you eat is what is critical. It has absolutely worked for me. I have to make myself eat enough in fact now that I have really shifted my lifestyle. I have an eating schedule now as weird as that sounds and I really try to stick to it. Will I go back to adding on weight? Maybe, but I dont really think so at this point as I truly don't feel like I have given anything up anymore. In fact, I havent given anything up I just eat smarter, eat smaller portions, and move my fat ass. I was at 206 for a long time. It's almost as if I just needed a reset and now my body is pretty happy here at currently 168/169 but getting leaner.

The only sad thing is that I have had a number of people (as in four or five) ask if I was sick. What a world we live in where I can be in vastly better shape than I have been in years but in our society where fat is the norm people think I must have cancer. These are folks who know me not strangers so its about the weight loss and not me looking poorly. I do appreciate their concern though. I just wish that wasn't the mind set of modern day America.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:33:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BayEagle] [#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Me too.  Although for the shake I'm down to one for lunch, which is only frozen berries, protein powder, greens powder, almond milk.  Then fish or lean steak, vegetables and some wild rice or hashbrowns for dinner.  Lost 20lbs this month and three belt holes.  Went from 210 to 190 (I'm 6'3"), which is the weight I was always happiest at.  I'm not killing myself either; pizza and beer on the weekend.  Occasional larger dinner.  Walk every other day for 5 miles.  First week I was hungry, now a smoothie and a dinner seem normal.

Oh, and I have 6 stents and a daughter getting married in a month, so the whole 'don't die' thing, is a thing.
View Quote

And thats it, isn't it? Once you reset the terrible eating habits you look back and don't really understand how you started eating like that to begin with. I also eat as I mostly please on the weekend but I don't feel like I need to eat half a large pizza and then the other half later on anymore. I don't feel like I need a massive plate of fries to go with my one pound burger. I don't need or want all of it anymore and the only thing I do consciously is not let my eyes order for me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:48:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BayEagle] [#13]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Fat people eat too much and move too little. It really is that simple. Self discipline is the key
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]

And thats it, isn't it? Once you reset the terrible eating habits you look back and don't really understand how you started eating like that to begin with. I also eat as I mostly please on the weekend but I don't feel like I need to eat half a large pizza and then the other half later on anymore. I don't feel like I need a massive plate of fries to go with my one pound burger. I don't need or want all of it anymore and the only thing I do consciously is not let my eyes order for me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Me too.  Although for the shake I'm down to one for lunch, which is only frozen berries, protein powder, greens powder, almond milk.  Then fish or lean steak, vegetables and some wild rice or hashbrowns for dinner.  Lost 20lbs this month and three belt holes.  Went from 210 to 190 (I'm 6'3"), which is the weight I was always happiest at.  I'm not killing myself either; pizza and beer on the weekend.  Occasional larger dinner.  Walk every other day for 5 miles.  First week I was hungry, now a smoothie and a dinner seem normal.

Oh, and I have 6 stents and a daughter getting married in a month, so the whole 'don't die' thing, is a thing.

Congrats Canoeguy and BayEagle.

That really is the secret, simply choosing healthier foods.  That's where most of your meals need to come from.  Once you do that it's easy to keep it off.  A 'regular' pizza or burger needs to be an occasional treat and not a staple.  Too many of us get hooked on fast food and junk food.  I did for years myself.  Kept training off and on but with a junk diet I wasn't lean at all.  You can't out train a shit diet.  

Right now I'm bulking, and with healthy food (like 90%) it's actually tough.  Yesterday's lunch was a pound of chicken breast, a crapload of vegetables and 200 grams of brown rice.  It was two big honkin' bowls.  First one was delicious... the second one I wasn't really looking forward to.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gator] [#17]
Originally Posted By PabloMcGlock:
Fat people eat too much and move too little. It really is that simple. Self discipline is the key
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I would be emaciated at 175.

Sorry about manlets.

Glad OP isn't fat anymore.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#19]

I am about 50/50 running and cycling. I have to run, the way America is going I may need that skill one day, lol.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
You need to learn how much you can eat. Start with a calorie calculator and go from there. Adjust how much you eat based on whether or not the scale is moving.

My suggestions for working out is you are probably better off without running (biking, swimming, walking, etc. would be better at your age) and I wouldn't do the same strength exercise every day. Every other day at most if you are pushing yourself. You need to recover.

Good job so far and good luck!

I am about 50/50 running and cycling. I have to run, the way America is going I may need that skill one day, lol.

The way America is going I would advise being out of debt. But whatever validates.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#20]

That is substantial! Congrats and keep at it.  I don’t know that I can go south of 165 with my build and hopefully I am going to start adding some muscle mass back. Not body builder muscle just getting some back and getting toned.

ETA: I keep forgetting my morning pushups and then have to make up for it though. I guess I need an alarm.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I lost 60 lbs last year.

I always ate way too damn much.  Now I’m hungry a lot, and it sucks hard, but I keep telling myself that a rumble means my stomach is nibbling on the fat around it.  I also started walking regularly, and when the weather got bad, I switched to using an elliptical.  I also do some lifting with dumbbells.

I slacked off for a couple of months and ate a little more and exercised a lot less.  My weight loss basically stopped.  I haven’t gained back, but I stopped losing.  Just keep gaining and losing the same five pounds.

The last couple of weeks, I’ve started buckling down again on the eating and hitting the gym again.

I want to lose 60 more this year.

That is substantial! Congrats and keep at it.  I don’t know that I can go south of 165 with my build and hopefully I am going to start adding some muscle mass back. Not body builder muscle just getting some back and getting toned.

ETA: I keep forgetting my morning pushups and then have to make up for it though. I guess I need an alarm.

And Aricept. Look into Aricept.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By rabidus:

Watching the end of western civilization.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rabidus:
Originally Posted By UTex86:
What are you so stressed about?

Watching the end of western civilization.

Legit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

The way America is going I would advise being out of debt. But whatever validates.
View Quote

Doing one doesn’t exclude the other. I would be a case in point.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Just my entire life falling apart. But my new fitness regimen is a part of me fixing myself a bit. The rest I might have a fingernails hold on. Its amazing how screwed up we can get when we aren't paying attention.
View Quote

Been there, done that.

It does get better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Sorry about manlets.

View Quote

People's perception of normal weight is whack.

Unless you're 6'2 or something, 175 would be near genetic limit ripped (say 7-8% BF) and literally everyone you came across would say you're fookin' jacked.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#25]
So my bike circuit is ten very hilly miles. My first ride was just over 49 minutes. Today was 42:02. My cheap calipers are suggesting my current body fat is 16.5.

For anyone talking about 165 or 175 being minuscule I highly encourage you to buy a set of these calipers and post up what you have…either we will be impressed or you will be sad to read the truth. I suspect the number of folks on this board under 20% is a very small number.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a Fitbit that gives an approximation of the calories burn in a day.

I eat less calories than I burn and I lose weight.

For instance, so far today the Fitbit says I have burned 2950 calories with the activity I did today.  I had a 250 calorie breakfast and a 1200 calorie dinner.  So I will lose weight today.  Every 3500 calories is a pound of weight.

I have been doing this since February and have lost 44 lbs.

If I want to eat something a little higher in calories then I know I need more activity that day.

It ain't rocket science.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't worry about gaining weight. Worry about eating right. I ran myself from a forty four inch waist to a twenty nine inch waist by not eating. When I got into the one sixties from three hundred I started to get scared, picked up my eating, and overshot one eighty by fifteen pounds.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:04:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#28]
I too recently patted myself on the back for a similar achievement. I'm on the shallow side of a silver fox, but the back and forth between the sexes has been fun!

Is it the Sport model? The stalwart? The Exotic perhaps? Or, maybe we play on the wrong side of the track's and end up in the back of a late model Hyundai!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#29]
The Break Up diet works well too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Sorry about manlets.

View Quote

Let's hear your ht and wt and post a pic.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#31]
So my bike circuit is ten very hilly miles. My first ride was just over 49 minutes. Today was 42:02. My cheap calipers are suggesting my current body fat is 16.5.

For anyone talking about 165 or 175 being minuscule I highly encourage you to buy a set of these calipers and post up what you have…either we will be impressed or you will be sad to read the truth. I suspect the number of folks on this board under 20% is a very small number.
View Quote

Most of the fitness youtubers are around that weight lean. Average height guys with a lot of muscle. Jesse James West and Will Tennyson to name a couple.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:
Ain't there an easier way?

Asking for a friend
View Quote

Bolivian Tape Worm.

Super Fast MEGA weight loss,  guaranteed!

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#33]
New best on my 10 mile loop. From 49:06 down to 40:18.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:55:11 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Congrats dude, that's an impressive improvement!

I am back on the weight loss train after a short but intentional bulk here.  First day not bad at all, but it feels like I was eating so much I still haven't cleared all the food out yet.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Sorry about manlets.

Crickets.  

Once you actually get down to single digit bodyfat yourself you know.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#36]

I am back on the weight loss train after a short but intentional bulk here.  First day not bad at all, but it feels like I was eating so much I still haven't cleared all the food out yet.  
View All Quotes

Well, its kind of loose timing. It's an open road so sometimes I have to wait for a car to turn or the conditions vary so its not a super accurate measurement. But at least it is some sort of overall baseline. I am down to 167 pounds now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Rock on!  New you is gonna be Best you!
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Start a meal with a big glass of warm water
Makes you feel full faster with less food
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Shrinking the portions is where it's at. Eating out usually is too much food, yet everyone eats all of it.

I've dropped 20# just with eating less since the start of April. My "maintenance" calorie count is around 2300cal, I'm trying to stay between 1500-1800/day. There are days where I can sneak out with just 1000cal.

Best food for me - eggs, chicken, cheese, broccoli, lettuce, apples, bananas, watermelon, cantaloupe, pickles. Chipotle burrito or bowl, but only eat half. Save the other half for another meal.

Tough things to avoid: Alcohol and soda. Beer isn't an issue for me, I'd rather have a nice bourbon.

During covid I joined a gym, and I got down to where I am now, and stayed there. Because muscle weighs more than fat. I was eating better, but still too much, so I never kept dropping weight. I have a home gym, but all the s**t in the garage does not make a workout possible right now. Walking, doing yardwork, cleaning garage (lifting boxes of books, etc.) will do for now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:48:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#40]
Again I warn you to avert your eyes…but this is what 5’10”, 167 pounds, and just under 17% body fat according to the cheap calipers looks like.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/3/2024 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Another minute off my ride time. Down to 41:13
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top