Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2024 8:53:14 AM EDT

Buried under the news from Google I/O this week is one of Google Cloud's biggest blunders ever: Google's Amazon Web Services competitor accidentally deleted a giant customer account for no reason. UniSuper, an Australian pension fund that manages $135 billion worth of funds and has 647,000 members, had its entire account wiped out at Google Cloud, including all its backups that were stored on the service. UniSuper thankfully had some backups with a different provider and was able to recover its data, but according to UniSuper's incident log, downtime started May 2, and a full restoration of services didn't happen until May 15.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/05/google-cloud-accidentally-nukes-customer-account-causes-two-weeks-of-downtime/
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
gone in a flash
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Gold bars!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#4]
In three years, Cyberdyne will become the largest supplier of military computer systems. All stealth bombers are upgraded with Cyberdyne computers, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they fly with a perfect operational record. The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:01:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If only the irs
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#6]
That had to be 13 sleepless nights and butt-pucker filled days for whoever manages UniSuper. Wow.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol.   Some really smart person had a really epic fuck up.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Satan wants to destroy the human race but only work through humans...finite power of a created being.

God sent His Son to save the human race...His Holy Spirit works through humans but isn't limited by anything.

Pretty basic really...some choose reconciliation to God while others their own destruction.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#9]
RCA guesses?

A) our robot tripped in the DC and knocked your rack over and unplugged your servers.  So we don’t allow robots in our DCs anymore.

B) our genAI opened an account and lost money so decided to delete everything to cover its losses

C) one of our blue haired gender indeterminate employees decided to protest because  you bought BUD
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#10]
But...but...but, my cloud?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Michael bolton must've put a decimal point in the wrong place, or something...
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
RCA guesses?

A) our robot tripped in the DC and knocked your rack over and unplugged your servers.  So we don't allow robots in our DCs anymore.

B) our genAI opened an account and lost money so decided to delete everything to cover its losses

C) one of our blue haired gender indeterminate employees decided to protest because  you bought BUD
View Quote

Had a coworker nuke an entire cloud because he failed to scope a delete for-loop to the tenant he was testing in. That was an awkward customer call to start the shift on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Google decided Uni-Super didn’t have a high enough social credit score to continue being one of its customers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#14]
You never store backups in the same place as the primary data. I thought this was covered in data storage 101?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Accidentally huh?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You never store backups in the same place as the primary data. I thought this was covered in data storage 101?
View Quote

They lucked out and Australia mandates 2 separate cloud providers hold data.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#18]
That would be a perfect time to slip something in, or to delete some nefarious actions previously done.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In three years, Cyberdyne will become the largest supplier of military computer systems. All stealth bombers are upgraded with Cyberdyne computers, becoming fully unmanned. Afterwards, they fly with a perfect operational record. The Skynet Funding Bill is passed. The system goes online August 4th, 1997. Human decisions are removed from strategic defense. Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
View Quote

Kind of laugh about it now. However it's been estimated somewhere between 2 and 3% of people are sociopaths.  To the point of being a serial killer if it where not self preservation. In other words being caught.

A large percentage of those gravitate to jobs in tech. The people creating AI.

It possible inevitable it will become self aware at some point. The next step is it will think or actually will be smarter.

So no consequences from being caught and punished.

Terminator may well be a documentary.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This... that's a bad day!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#21]
What's this have to do with AI?

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#22]
This is why the federal government wants to get rid of cash.

“Sorry Mr Conservative American Red State. We had a glitch and all your money disappeared. We’ll send our top people to work on it…”
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That had to be 13 sleepless nights and butt-pucker filled days for whoever manages UniSuper. Wow.
View Quote

No shit. I can't imagine..
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:59:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Everybody trusts AI, since they are not computer geeks, but there are problems, it takes a LOT of effort to teach AI, think of it as a new born baby, they know nothing; so look at how many years does it take to turn that baby into a useful human being. Same with AI program, but most companies don't have the patience, ie money to teach it correctly. Hopefully, there are backups somewhere, some place and they can recreate it, but you never know, they could be fvcked.

Personally, I am a fatalist, I am a heavy Facebook user as a photograph & video exchange, at someone point, they could delete my account with all of my photos and videos, BUT low and behold, "I trust FB as far as I can throw them," so I have backups of 99.99% of all my videos and photos in my possession, and I can recreate my account if need be, it will take awhile but it can be recreated.
Top Top