Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/29/2024 9:49:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JaredGrey]
As most of you know, I work in a gun store outside of Milwaukee, WI. Also, as you know, I deal with a large number of wonderful customers, and a smaller number of more, shall we say, eccentric customers with a scattering of criminals and halfwits.

These are their stories.

• Don’t call me multiple times a day demanding I lower the price on a rare item. Heck, on ANY item.  At some point, someone here is going to lose their cool and say something we enjoy.

• Don’t threaten the guy behind the counter with an ass-kicking. He played football in college just a few short years ago and is still visibly strong enough to spike you like a pigskin. And buddy, he is itching to.

• Don’t then go around the store telling customers you’re going to kick the ass of the muscular man behind the counter. You just sound like a complete idiot. Which…you were already communicating to everyone with your choice in facial hair.

• Don’t bring the stench of your jazz cabbage into the store. How can you live with that smell?

• Don’t brag to people that you instruct police departments that you do not. Fate put that MPD administrator at our counter just to overhear your idiotic self promotion and then correct you in front of your friends, and your embarrassment was worth listening.

• Don’t ask us to place and position a holster inside your pants while you hold up your greasy heaviness out of the way. I don’t get paid enough.

• Son of a…why would you even BOTHER coming in here smelling like you smoked that much weed?!

• There’s room for a bit of negotiation on some items. We’re not dropping the price by 60%. Why are you calling AGAIN?! Do you get some weird psychosexual thrill out of rejection?

• Don’t treat us like your therapist. A grown man breaking down in tears at the gun counter because the border isn’t secure is demonstrating a worrying lack of restraint and also significant misunderstanding of my job description.

• Don’t come in drunk. You’re having a hard time writing your name, and you’re hanging onto the counter to keep from spinning off into space. I realize that it’s your twenty first birthday, and you HAD to hit the bars, but dude, it’s 11am and you’re like 10 minutes from passing out. No, you don’t get to buy gun today. Try again in like a week, maybe the hangover will have worn off by then.

• Don’t treat my coworker like a dog. There’s a basic level of human decency that’s expected from everyone, even you if you’re having a bad day.  Crooking a finger at him, whistling, and saying “Come here, boy,” is how you get me instead. Sometimes I’m empowered to be unkind. This is one of those times.

• On a related note, your gun didn’t work because you put a Promag in it. They suck and are only good for malfunction drills and gangbangers peacocking about their stendos and cinnabuns. We’re not rewelding your receiver, buy a mag that isn’t utter crap. Yes, those were almost exactly my words to this individual.

• Don’t subject us to your farts I understand that sometimes something sneaks out that we can’t control. I’m sympathetic to that. You ABSOLUTELY knew that going to sound like someone ripping 42 feet of wet bed sheets, you disgusting savage, and you ABSOLUTELY knew it was going to smell like a curry-filled toilet with a broken flusher in the dysentery capitol of India, and you wanted to share it with us. Go see a doctor, you need help.

I love the work of putting firearms in the hands of intelligent and good natured people. It may not be my life’s work, but it is SATISFYING. The other ones, I like sharing stories about.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I will admit I have crop dusted a gunstore before, but in my defense… it was hilarious
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Don’t treat us like your therapist. A grown man breaking down in tears at the gun counter because the border isn’t secure is demonstrating a worrying lack of restraint and also significant misunderstanding of my job description.
View Quote

Screen name?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Lol why do so many want to kick your ass?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:54:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RCRTR] [#4]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
As most of you know, I work in a gun store outside of Milwaukee, WI. Also, as you know, I deal with a large number of wonderful customers, and a smaller number of more, shall we say, eccentric customers with a scattering of criminals and halfwits.

These are their stories.

• Don’t call me multiple times a day demanding I lower the price on a rare item. Heck, on ANY item.  At some point, someone here is going to lose their cool and say something we enjoy.

• Don’t threaten the guy behind the counter with an ass-kicking. He played football in college just a few short years ago and is still visibly strong enough to spike you like a pigskin. And buddy, he is itching to.

• Don’t then go around the store telling customers you’re going to kick the ass of the muscular man behind the counter. You just sound like a complete idiot. Which…you were already communicating to everyone with your choice in facial hair.

• Don’t bring the stench of your jazz cabbage into the store. How can you live with that smell?

• Don’t brag to people that you instruct police departments that you do not. Fate put that MPD administrator at our counter just to overhear your idiotic self promotion and then correct you in front of your friends, and your embarrassment was worth listening.

• Don’t ask us to place and position a holster inside your pants while you hold up your greasy heaviness out of the way. I don’t get paid enough.

• Son of a…why would you even BOTHER coming in here smelling like you smoked that much weed?!

• There’s room for a bit of negotiation on some items. We’re not dropping the price by 60%. Why are you calling AGAIN?! Do you get some weird psychosexual thrill out of rejection?

• Don’t treat us like your therapist. A grown man breaking down in tears at the gun counter because the border isn’t secure is demonstrating a worrying lack of restraint and also significant misunderstanding of my job description.

• Don’t come in drunk. You’re having a hard time writing your name, and you’re hanging onto the counter to keep from spinning off into space. I realize that it’s your twenty first birthday, and you HAD to hit the bars, but dude, it’s 11am and you’re like 10 minutes from passing out. No, you don’t get to buy gun today. Try again in like a week, maybe the hangover will have worn off by then.

• Don’t treat my coworker like a dog. There’s a basic level of human decency that’s expected from everyone, even you if you’re having a bad day.  Crooking a finger at him, whistling, and saying “Come here, boy,” is how you get me instead. Sometimes I’m empowered to be unkind. This is one of those times.

• On a related note, your gun didn’t work because you put a Promag in it. They suck and are only good for malfunction drills and gangbangers peacocking about their stendos and cinnabuns. We’re not rewelding your receiver, buy a mag that isn’t utter crap. Yes, those were almost exactly my words to this individual.

• Don’t subject us to your farts I understand that sometimes something sneaks out that we can’t control. I’m sympathetic to that. You ABSOLUTELY knew that going to sound like someone ripping 42 feet of wet bed sheets, you disgusting savage, and you ABSOLUTELY knew it was going to smell like a curry-filled toilet with a broken flusher in the dysentery capitol of India, and you wanted to share it with us. Go see a doctor, you need help.

I love the work of putting firearms in the hands of intelligent and good natured people. It may not be my life’s work, but it is SATISFYING. The other ones, I like sharing stories about.
View Quote

Why do you care so much about what someone smells like?
AIRBORNE!!!!!

Eta: I'm not talking about the farts.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:55:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: diesel1] [#5]
Making the rounds of gun shops just to observe could be a new form of entertainment for a retired guy. Not much going on at the boat launch yet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't come in the store and yell at every customer that 100 yards is "point blank"!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chase45:
Lol why do so many want to kick your ass?
View Quote

The ass-kicker was upset that he was not accorded the privilege of an employee, and was called out on trying to act like one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I would buy a gun from you.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I like to go into random gun stores just to fondle the revolvers. I flick the cylinders shut over and over while saying my favorite quotes from movies. I also lightly drag them across the counter top so they scratch the glass and mess up the finish. Usually the sales men are happy about this because it gives the guns more character.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I imagine entertainment of watching this stuff happen is why old dudes like to hang out in gun shops.

I sat in a shop in Suffolk VA for two hours waiting for a "proceed" on a Beretta 92 one time. It was a steady flow of entertainment. The chick working the counter was tweaked out going a mile a minute and there was a steady flow of urban dwellers. There was no shortage of shady stuff going on there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RCRTR:

Why do you care so much about what someone smells like?
AIRBORNE!!!!!

Eta: I'm not talking about the farts.
View Quote

Unlawful use of illegal substances is a disqualifier when buying a gun. Says right there on the form. If I ignore that, I get shut down, maybe prosecuted.

Potheads are not welcome. Neither are sloshed 21yos. I discriminate against everyone who’s intoxicated in my store.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:16:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Efl15] [#15]
Don’t have your daughter help you fill out a federal form.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Efl15:
Don’t have your daughter help you fill out federal paperwork.
View Quote

Ok, that's a new one on me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Wilson?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:20:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#18]

These are their stories.

View Quote

There is some irony between points 2 and 3. Might want to get some self awareness. Also will be crop dusting no matter what. Besides that good to go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#19]
How about bringing in a brown paper bag and asking to see the gunsmith (not that uncommon), then proceeding to pull a Ruger Mk 2 out and point it directly in his face? After the elderly fellow recovered from the sight and sound of multiple guns being drawn and leveled at him (with safeties clicking off) accompanied by commands to put the gun down, he said, "I just need him to fix it".  Stupidity knows no bounds.

There are so many more like that.  Gun stores are just a magnet to craziness.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Any hint of violence and a gun sale would not be happening.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Kwisak:

There is some irony between points 2 and 3. Might want to get some self awareness. Also will be crop dusting no matter what. Besides that good to go.
View Quote

2 and 3 were the same person. Customer threatened a coworker he was hilariously unprepared to take on, coworker wanted to take a swing at the little twit. Customer went around the store telling everyone he was going to beat up coworker. Everyone else knew he was talking out of an orifice not usually reserved for communication.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#22]
It works the other way, too.  If I walk into your gun store, and you’re on the phone calling in a SALUTE report to your militia about the military helicopters that just flew over, I’m turning around and leaving.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By a390st:
How about bringing in a brown paper bag and asking to see the gunsmith (not that uncommon), then proceeding to pull a Ruger Mk 2 out and point it directly in his face? After the elderly fellow recovered from the sight and sound of multiple guns being drawn and leveled at him (with safeties clicking off) accompanied by commands to put the gun down, he said, "I just need him to fix it".  Stupidity knows no bounds.

View Quote

To be honest, it WAS a MKII and it was probably in several pieces because he couldn't how to figure to put it back together.

I have NEVER seen so many grown men having strokes about a pistol and getting it back together. It's not hard at all, it's a bit ''fiddly'' but hard? Oh lord no, you just have to hold it ''just so'' when you slide the hammer spring assy back in. It's easy as hell unless you are so non mechanical that you can't figure out which way a gas cap screws on the fill tube.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:37:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#24]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#25]
a lot of nerve from customers in a GUN STORE
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

Screen name?
View Quote

@Striker ?

You didn't specify which border...

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RHR_12:
It works the other way, too.  If I walk into your gun store, and you’re on the phone calling in a SALUTE report to your militia about the military helicopters that just flew over, I’m turning around and leaving.
View Quote

It does work the other way too.  I had a cased unloaded rifle. I walked up to the counter guy prepared to hand over the cased  rifle so that he could open the case and inspect the gun.

The guy went nuts and went on and on about "red flags".  I did not do anything unsafe and I no longer buy anything at that store.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:41:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#28]
Don’t ask to see a revolver then start loading it with bullets from your pocket when the clerk turns away, because you have a bunch of that ammo already and just wanted to make sure it would fit this gun your considering buying , people get really excited when you do that. .

Saw that in a pawn shop. Grabbed the butt of my ccw wondering if I was going to be forced to shoot this dude in the back to prevent a robbery, clerk saw him at the same instant, resembled the scene from terminator. “ HEY, YOU CANT DO THAT ! “

Luckily the dude was just an idiot and not a wanna be armed robber, because his career would have ended seconds later with a mag dump into his back.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:42:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoRdErBaCoN] [#29]
I was in the shop helping with some armorer stuff the other day and this kid walked in with a full size Springfield XD-M jammed into his pants with no holster.  

He had a cool flat brimmed hat though.

He asked to hold one of the Nighthawks and we politely declined.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

Horseshit. You just like to feel in control.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Unlawful use of illegal substances is a disqualifier when buying a gun. Says right there on the form. If I ignore that, I get shut down, maybe prosecuted.

Potheads are not welcome. Neither are sloshed 21yos. I discriminate against everyone who’s intoxicated in my store.

Horseshit. You just like to feel in control.

OK bud.

You open up a gun store and see how long you stay in business selling to prohibited persons, especially those in or on the edges of criminal activity. You can be a good example for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I went once with my 6-8 year old step daughter. Told her to not touch anything, while I was looking for some reloading components 5’ away.

30 seconds in she accidentally knocks over several plastic boxes of reloading bullets, which explode on the concrete floor loudly, sending hundreds of 55g bullets flying under shelves, across the concrete floor, into corners, between cases of ammo, etc.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Vague:
I imagine entertainment of watching this stuff happen is why old dudes like to hang out in gun shops.
View Quote

A relative owned a gun shop.  I would go in there and see these old guys just hanging around and talking to the owner or workers like they had nothing else better to do in their lives.  Talk, talk, talk.  And I'm old (67) so I'm not picking on their age.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FluffyTheCat:

It does work the other way too.  I had a cased unloaded rifle. I walked up to the counter guy prepared to hand over the cased  rifle so that he could open the case and inspect the gun.

The guy went nuts and went on and on about "red flags".  I did not do anything unsafe and I no longer buy anything at that store.
View All Quotes

Stuff like this bugs me. I don't stay in business, I don't make a decent salary, I don't meet amazingly cool people if I am rude to customers. It's in my best interest to be cool to you until you're not cool to me. I don't get why some don't understand that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:47:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#34]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

To be honest, it WAS a MKII and it was probably in several pieces because he couldn't how to figure to put it back together.

I have NEVER seen so many grown men having strokes about a pistol and getting it back together. It's not hard at all, it's a bit ''fiddly'' but hard? Oh lord no, you just have to hold it ''just so'' when you slide the hammer spring assy back in. It's easy as hell unless you are so non mechanical that you can't figure out which way a gas cap screws on the fill tube.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fxntime:
Originally Posted By a390st:

I got a mkII for $50.00 once.

Guy took it completely apart, down to the last pin, then couldn’t figure out how to reassemble it, sold me a box of loose parts. I used the exploded gun diagram in the manual to reassemble it a few days later, every part was there, and after 4 hours of swearing I was outside plinking away.

Yup. Easy. Trick is to hold it upside down so the locking lever / lock hook falls into the right spot. ( been 15 years since I touched one, but that’s how I remember it )  wasn’t hard though, just had to get it just right.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

Thankfully there’s a lot of gun stores in my town.  I refuse to use another store in town because I’ve seen the owners talk shit on other customers loudly in front of me the second the other customer leaves.  Save it for when there’s no customers in the store.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#36]

• Don't come in drunk. You're having a hard time writing your name, and you're hanging onto the counter to keep from spinning off into space. I realize that it's your twenty first birthday, and you HAD to hit the bars, but dude, it's 11am and you're like 10 minutes from passing out. No, you don't get to buy gun today. Try again in like a week, maybe the hangover will have worn off by then.
View Quote

Ah, that brings back a specific memory. I loved refusing this asshole a sale when he tried to buy drunk.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:00:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#37]
Here’s one for the gun shop people….

When a customer of 20 years / tens of thousands in previous purchases asks you to order a $1000.00 sig pistol for him, then refuse too and claim you already ordered that gun already, to check back next week, then refuse to order a cz scorpion , then repeat the same each week for 2 months refusing to order one each time and acting annoyed each time and said preordered guns never show up for sale.

He will say fuck it, go to gunbroker, order two of the sig pistols himself and ship to the other FFL in town, then ask the other much smaller gun shop in town to order the cz scorpions , which they immediately, and happily do for him and said customer never returns to your gun shop, and goes on to spend LOTS and LOTS of cash on various guns / ammo / accessories at other local gun stores year after year.

That , and other lazy, don’t give a fuck behavior,  is a Total mystery why Whittaker guns went out of business.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Here's a pro tip:

don't argue with the NFA armorer for 25 minutes about how "the principle of the matter is what's wrong" when you're trying to get around a mandated 3-day waiting period.

It doesn't work like that, if he could hand you the silencer right now he would (and I presume he also wouldn't require a form 4 in the first place) but you arguing with him is just pissing everybody in the store off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:07:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#39]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Vague:

I sat in a shop in Suffolk VA for two hours waiting for a "proceed" on a Beretta 92 one time. It was a steady flow of entertainment. The chick working the counter was tweaked out going a mile a minute and there was a steady flow of urban dwellers. There was no shortage of shady stuff going on there.
View Quote

Not CE tactical was it? They are usually squared away
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:12:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#41]
View All Quotes
[Deleted]

I imagine though you can find plenty of gun stores that were shut down because their Time To Crime on audits kept being short, which is what you get when you sell to people who are blatant about criminal behavior.

I have an app on my phone specifically for translating for my Hispanic customers.

How much jazz cabbage do you smoke a week, sparky?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

That is a really broad, inappropriate, and downright stupid statement to make.

I would suggest editing and deleting that comment, then removing yourself from this thread.

If someone saying that they're not going to sell a weapon to someone that smells like a federally banned substance, or intoxicated on a legal substance, bothers you SO much that you're willing to say shit like this, log off this site and go find somewhere else to be offended.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:23:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#43]
[Deleted]
View Quote

So you gonna lie on the 4473 about not being a drug user?

OP needs one of those “If you smell like weed, do not proceed” signs on his door.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:27:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

So you gonna lie on the 4473 about not being a drug user?

OP needs one of those “If you smell like weed, do not proceed” signs on his door.
View Quote

The fact that he immediately brought up language and race, should tell you everything you need to know about Mr. SendIt. He should go back to reddit, where emotional appeals and personal attacks are embraced.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:29:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#45]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By pestilence12:

The fact that he immediately brought up language and race, should tell you everything you need to know about Mr. SendIt. He should go back to reddit, where emotional appeals and personal attacks are embraced.
View Quote

lol. No.  In November 2023 Mr.Grey literally made a pt whatever of what not to do and this was explicitly stated. This is an ongoing disagreement.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:31:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#47]
Don’t ask us to place and position a holster inside your pants while you hold up your greasy heaviness out of the way. I don’t get paid enough.
View Quote
Ouch.  

[Deleted]
View Quote
Great, now I'm gonna have Forest Whitaker eye for the next twenty minutes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:34:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#48]
[Deleted]
View Quote

I call bs, sure you may not be able to find an instance because its probably not front page news.

I was in a store and guy was filling out a 4473 for a rifle, when they asked for his DL he pulled out his wallet and a baggy of what could have been weed. He promptly had the 4473 yanked away from him and was told to leave.

I have also seen several people walk in to gun stores and smell like weed and be told to leave. So while the stores may not have been shut down, its probably because they refused the sale in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:37:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scuba_steve] [#49]

[Deleted]
View All Quotes

OK bud.

You open up a gun store and see how long you stay in business selling to prohibited persons, especially those in or on the edges of criminal activity. You can be a good example for me.

[Deleted]

Government will legalize weed everywhere soon, and probably other drugs as they love drugs and especially sweet, sweet drug taxes, especially since they killed their tobacco cash cow, future, ever increasing weed taxes will rake in hundreds of billions a year for government big and small.

However , they hate guns, so you can be a drug user,and buy weed,  or buy / own guns, but not both, 4473 will always exclude purchase, weed cards will always result in ccw denial, weed use will probably be grounds for red flag confiscation soon.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:

I call bs, sure you may not be able to find an instance because its probably not front page news.

I was in a store and guy was filling out a 4473 for a rifle, when they asked for his DL he pulled out his wallet and a baggy of what could have been weed. He promptly had the 4473 yanked away from him and was told to leave.

I have also seen several people walk in to gun stores and smell like weed and be told to leave. So while the stores may not have been shut down, its probably because they refused the sale in the first place.
View Quote

I can 100% see denying the sale after physically seeing it. But smelling like it IDGAF and it’s on others to prove there was an odor to begin with.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top