Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/27/2024 6:23:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never texted.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:35:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Admiral_Crunch] [#2]
Replace text with email, and this is me at work, especially with one or two people in particular.  They HATE typing.  If they receive an email, the first thing they do is reach for the phone.

I’m like “Bitch, you better be calling to tell me all your fingers are broken!”

The cousin of that is when someone sends me an email and then follows it up with a phone call 60 seconds later to see if I got their email.

“Did you get my email?!”
“Yeah, I was in the middle of reading it when you interrupted me with a phone call.”  
“Can I hang up and finish reading it, or should I just let you tell me what you typed?”
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Texting is amazing for reference of info, but if you need to talk in real time it's stupid.

Like if reviewing something for work that needs clarification, it's best to walk through it with back and forth talking rather than trying to tap everything out on a screen.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't like text.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:09:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Ahh. You’re one of those

If you insist on stretching a 30 second conversation out over 2 hours via text, don’t get pissed off when I stop talking to you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I do this to people all the time.  If you want to talk about something or have a question, pick up the phone and call.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#8]
If it is informational/a report. Text/email

If it it a back and forth discussion, or I anticipate alot of questions. Phone/meeting.

Never confuse the two.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kcolg30:
I don't like text.
View Quote

I don't receive texts.  I don't carry a cell phone.  This confuses people.  

Texts and cell phones gave the world ADD.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By zukiphile:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zukiphile:
I don't like text.

Let me guess, people need to call and leave a message on the land line and you'll get back to them on the next available business day?

Cell phones changed business, for the better.

I remember having to drive to find a phone in the boss's truck and call the concrete plant because they weren't there when scheduled and nobody knew how long it would be or if he got lost or what happened.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Text has it’s place but depending what you are doing a phone call is way more efficient.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:27:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I fucking hate that.

I am forced to call old people for work frequently, I often leave messages. Inevitably, the same people who cry about not liking texts, also never bother to listen to voicemail, and also never pick up their fucking phones in the first place. Further wasting my time.

I’m in my mid 40s and would not be upset to never, ever receive or make another phone call as long as I live.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an older friend that if your text is more than 4 or 5 words he doesn't read it. He will call you and say what do you want
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Call me before texting me.

I keep a landline and only family has that number, I don’t walk around with my cell at home all of the time and sometimes I just turn it off and don’t want to be bothered…or network outages.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I always call. Texting is for sending your buddy a funny meme or titty pics. Fuck you if you’re too lazy to talk on the phone, I’m calling if it’s remotely important. Sorry if I’m disturbing your Candy Crush game or jerk session on Chaturbate.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By konger:
I always call. Texting is for sending your buddy a funny meme or titty pics. Fuck you if you’re too lazy to talk on the phone, I’m calling if it’s remotely important. Sorry if I’m disturbing your Candy Crush game or jerk session on Chaturbate.

View Quote

Tell us how you know about these apps?

I prefer to text because I can get back to you whenever it’s convenient OR when I need proof for a later time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#17]
People will back and forth text for 20 minutes that if they called on the phone it would take a minute or less to take care of.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Ignore call-> text in response, “I’m on the shitter. If you must talk, speak into your phone for voice to text.”

Mostly I just avoid communicating with boomers and this sort of thing doesn’t happen.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#19]
This is my work day:

Me: place call to client; client dosent answer; leave lengthy, detailed voicemail

10 secs after hanging up....phone is ringing

Client: did you try to call me?

Me: yes, did you listen to the message?

Client: no, what is it?

Me: well you need to answer when I call

Client: I dont answer numbers I dont know

Me: so you call back every number that you dont answer and that you dont know?

Client: No, I saw you left a message.

Me: Then listen to the message!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HourOfAngle:
People will back and forth text for 20 minutes that if they called on the phone it would take a minute or less to take care of.
View Quote

This is rarely the case.
There is the occasional if then decision tree with multiple if thens that this may be the case, but usually it's not that hard and the person that needs a phone call is just kinda tarded.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#22]
@marie
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#23]

That, and cold calls are the worst.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By d16man:

Agree.  I can do more with a 30 sec phone call than 10 min of texting.  Time = money.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By d16man:
Originally Posted By Ilikepieman:
I do this to people all the time.  If you want to talk about something or have a question, pick up the phone and call.

Agree.  I can do more with a 30 sec phone call than 10 min of texting.  Time = money.

Because you can’t dictate a text?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:19:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JimEb] [#25]
Originally Posted By HourOfAngle:
View Quote

Bingo!  I often have to deal with subcontractors on automated equipment.   Issue comes up I can send a pic of fault messages or something.  If resolving the issue takes more than two novel sized texts then you bet I’m gonna call you and we are gonna resolve this right now.  

Not gonna write a long text, stand around stroking my dick next to a down machine waiting for the guy on the other end to 2-thumb type me another chapter in this novel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Have a buddy. We used to text all the time. Then a couple occasions happened when we he called and ended up talking for an hour plus, which I'm really not trying to do. He thought it was the coolest thing EVER and then he decided "texting sucks, I'm just gonna call him all the time and have hour + phone calls." Sometimes he'd text me, then immediately after I texted back he'd call. I fucking told him "bro, I'm doing other shit in my phone. I'm not trying to talk for hours. Just text me." Nope, not good enough. If we can't talk on the phone, we ain't talking at all. Shit, WOMEN don't even do that anymore. "Bro, if you have that much to say FUCKING COME OVER!" Nope, he doesn't like leaving the house. "Yeah, why don't you come down here?" "I always come down there, you come up here sometime!" "I got things to do, I can't really leave the house."
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:39:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TZLVredmist] [#28]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Replace text with email, and this is me at work, especially with one or two people in particular.  They HATE typing.  If they receive an email, the first thing they do is reach for the phone.

I’m like “Bitch, you better be calling to tell me all your fingers are broken!”

The cousin of that is when someone sends me an email and then follows it up with a phone call 60 seconds later to see if I got their email.

“Did you get my email?!”
“Yeah, I was in the middle of reading it when you interrupted me with a phone call.”  
“Can I hang up and finish reading it, or should I just let you tell me what you typed?”
View Quote

Yup....

People who call to "Get it done" I have found are some of the worst workers in the world. It's like they are punching a magic ticket of some sort. "Well I gave him a call!"   Yeah no shit. Now  SEND me all the crap you were suppose to send me, I don't have time to listen to you yammer on the phone. DO WORK, stop calling everyone as if you are actually doing something.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
Texting is amazing for reference of info, but if you need to talk in real time it's stupid.

Like if reviewing something for work that needs clarification, it's best to walk through it with back and forth talking rather than trying to tap everything out on a screen.
View Quote

Send E-mail
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By rb889:
Ahh. You’re one of those

If you insist on stretching a 30 second conversation out over 2 hours via text, don’t get pissed off when I stop talking to you.
View Quote

Send E-mail
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By PanelVanHalen:
I have never texted.

View Quote

It is not an easy task on a flip phone, I get it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I texted to supervisor when stuck in a Nasty traffic jam.
I had to make an Emergency Delivery of (stuff).
Thanks to the mess I was about 90 minutes late.
Here is where I am, here is my Approximate arrival time.
Continuous updates as I slowly made progress.

Never bothered to erase the texts, they are a reminder how well off I am in my snug Cubicle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ZW17:
Here’s the polite force continuum when it comes to getting a hold of someone…

Email - Low priority, read it and respond when you have time.

Text - Medium priority, should be handled asap.

Phone call - I need your attention now, this is important.

Obviously there are exception to this rule, like large files that need emailed followed by a phone call, but for the most part, this is how I ask my employees to handle things before reaching out to me. I have one guy that refuses to email or text, and it’s really annoying to have to stop what I am doing to pick up the phone for him and give a low priority issue all my attention.
View Quote

If only everyone in the corporate world understood this!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Phone calls have their place, but what I hate is voicemail. About eight years ago I decided I was done with it. Past three jobs I have refused to either set it up (if I could) or use it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

View Quote

Schedule a meeting then with Teams or Zoom.

Never, ever, call.

There are 6 people allowed to call me, 4 of them know to text first most of the time.

I want my phone to have an allow list.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 3one5:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3one5:

Obviously there are exception to this rule, like large files that need emailed followed by a phone call, but for the most part, this is how I ask my employees to handle things before reaching out to me. I have one guy that refuses to email or text, and it’s really annoying to have to stop what I am doing to pick up the phone for him and give a low priority issue all my attention.

I am the opposiste.

E-mail means it needs to get done, has enough priority to be documented to CYA, and I have what I need in front of me right now.

Text is for simple questions that are not important.

Phone calls get ignored because on that phone call, someone is going to say "Ok, I will send that over to ya..."

Just send the damn E-mail.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Coworkers, boss, and I only text when one of us is gonna miss work and needs shift coverage, gonna be late, or for sending memes & gifs, or some other random personal shit.
We really don’t use our personal phones for day to day work stuff.
Email and phone calls.
Personally, it’s a mix depending what needs to be communicated.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I love it when people text me a paragraph and I immediately respond with “K”
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Five text chains, dragging out over hours sucks. If all you have to say is "wassup" or "I'm on my way" then text is fine. Anything more than that texting is a pain in the ass. Just pick up your fucking phone, resolve whatever issue and move on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Phone calls are useful for getting information to someone quickly and with confirmation they understand.  It’s much easier to have a back and forth conversation rather than typing hundreds of words.

Text is fine for a message that you don’t expect an immediate answer to, sending a picture or one that is relatively short.

Email for anything that needs a file attached or written evidence.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#41]
My texts, e-mails, and phone calls are short and to the point.  I loiter on arfcom
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:55:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CouncilOfDave] [#42]
I prefer text since most people say 10x more than necessary when speaking. Texting usually forces only the relevant info.

Don't be a Loquatious Linda.

*for work related communication. If it's just family I want to talk to, it's fine. I'm talking to them for a different reason than a manager or subordinate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#43]
My old Navy buddy doesnt have a cell phone. This results in bi-monthly 1-2 hour phone call.

I contrast that with my best friend that lives in another town. He and I text 3 or 4 times a week, maybe an actual phone call once a month.

I far prefer text to a hour long phone call about the weather. However, that said, I do appreciate that almost 40 years later my Navy buddy and I keep in touch. I'll take the hour long call over nothing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:
I prefer text since most people say 10x more than necessary when speaking. Texting usually forces only the relevant info.

Don't be a Loquatious Linda.
View Quote

Yeah thats the thing most if the time your tarded phone call could be condensed in to a sentence of text if you bothered to think through it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:58:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#45]
People can only comprehend 124 WPM in spoken English but can read 180-300 WPM.

I can converse comfortably at 165 WPM but people won't understand me and I may have to repeat myself.

I can type 128 WPM.

Assuming I'm conversing over IM with another fluent typist, I can actually be faster over IM as there is no need to repeat, nothing misinterpreted as they can read at their own pace (which is still faster than audible comprehension) and I have record of it.

It's not all bad.

Even if you're with a mediocre typist that can lay down 70 WPM you're still reading fast enough to make up the lag difference, and still get written record.

In practice I don't find it much slower.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Perfect summary
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

Tell us how you know about these apps?

I prefer to text because I can get back to you whenever it’s convenient OR when I need proof for a later time.
View Quote

This is big too
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Texting is way better.  If I  can't or don't want to answer a question,  I can just ignore it.  On a call, I'm stuck and backed into a corner if I am asked to explain something.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By josepha1:
I love it when people text me a paragraph and I immediately respond with “K”
View Quote

That describes most of my text conversations with my wife.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't like text.
View Quote

I like text or email at work.  That way when my boss tells me to do something dumb, I have a record of him telling me to do it in case I get blamed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top