Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Posted: 10/1/2022 9:24:47 PM EDT
Carl Jung, Modern Man in Search of a Soul.

After a few minutes I would be in search of a doorknob to off myself.

Next up: Becoming Cliterate: Why Orgasm Equality Matters.

Yes, I read good books sometimes, too. But not always.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:00:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aridcat] [#1]
my company made me read The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People for a promotion. It was a terrible, boring, poorly written, trash book.

Imagine a 80s IBMer who makes a ton of money leading corporate retreats and then writes a book where the core principle is that everything he does must be smart because he is rich.
He also spends half the time telling stupid stories about raising his kids.

They alll go "we were having trouble with timmy, and then we LISTENED to him. That is what made us HIGHLY EFFECTIVE".

Also as this was a newer copy little timmy had to get in on the grift by adding little anecdotes to the original chapters.

It was truly awful.

Runner up -- a biography of George Washington. He spent a lot of time picking out ornate carriages and custom ordered clothes from Britian.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 10/2/2022 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aridcat:
my company made me read The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People for a promotion. It was a terrible, boring, poorly written, trash book.

Runner up -- a biography of George Washington. He spent a lot of time picking out ornate carriages and custom ordered clothes from Britian.
View Quote

Sounds similar to The Purpose Driven Life, an infection going around in the 2000s. Just browse the Cliffs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 2:45:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The Greening of America.  Many years ago I picked it as a random book and forced myself to read it.  I tried reading Burr, but just could not finish it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
In the Garden of Beasts, about the American ambassador to Germany when the Nazis were taking over.

https://www.amazon.com/In-Garden-of-Beasts-Erik-Larson-audiobook/dp/B00502PFNU

So much of the book was about the love life of the ambassador's daughter. Very dull.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Imagine a 80s IBMer who makes a ton of money leading corporate retreats and then writes a book where the core principle is that everything he does must be smart because he is rich.

They alll go "we were having trouble with timmy, and then we LISTENED to him. That is what made us HIGHLY EFFECTIVE".

Also as this was a newer copy little timmy had to get in on the grift by adding little anecdotes to the original chapters.

It was truly awful.

View Quote
I love when I see a certificate hanging in my boss's office and I say, "oh you went to the seven habits of highly retarded people as well?"  we laugh about it. That whole program sucks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought it would be fun to revisit some old philosophy books, so I downloaded a few to my Kindle.

I really tried to enjoy David Hume: 'A Treatise of Human Nature'.

"For my part, when I enter most intimately into what I call myself, I always stumble on some particular perception or other, of heat or cold, light or shade, love or hatred, pain or pleasure. I never can catch myself at any time without a perception, and never can observe any thing but the perception. When my perceptions are removed for any time, as by sound sleep; so long I am insensible of myself, and may truly be said not to exist."

I get it.  But
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#8]
"The British Are Coming" by Rick Atkinson.  I used the audiobook version to put myself to sleep.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]

It was truly awful.

View Quote

I tried listening to the 7 Habits a few years ago, it was pretty dull.

Are you talking about Chernow’s Washington book? It has lots of details like that in there, some more interesting than others.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I read "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote a couple years ago... I was on a true crime kick.  This is supposedly the greatest ever of that genre.  Damn! Capote could puke at the pen!
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Atlas Shrugged.  I love the message but Gault's 3 hour monologue toward the end of it I have to skip over every time I read the book.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Of Course Off Course.  Written by a veteran of the Battle of the Bulge, too much about God and not enough about his experience in the Ardennes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#14]
The Lord of the Rings. 87 pages to describe a fucking tree, every leaf on the tree, and every piece of fruit hanging from the tree.

I tried to finish it, couldn't, and finally came back a few years ago and gutted my way through them after the third movie came out. It was a slog, and the only series that was worse was the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Entitled: How male privilege hurts women.

Half way through and I'm still trying to figure out what male privilege is.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 1:57:54 AM EDT
[#16]
The Portrait of Dorian Grey was a dreadful experience. It was only a few hours long but I felt like it took years off of me.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Son of a bitch. this…

Got my own copy in school and it was a fucking snooze fest for sure.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Not recently, but I tried reading Great Expectations in high school in the early 2000s.  It was the first, and maybe only time, I did not do what I was told in school.  It was awful.  When it came time to discuss the book, it was OBVIOUS that I wasn't the only one who couldn't finish it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:33:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Moby Dick

One of the only books i have fast forwarded through parts and then still not finish.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#20]
The Theory of Money and Credit.

Try as I have, many times, can't even put a dent in it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Skillshot:
Carl Jung, Modern Man in Search of a Soul.

After a few minutes I would be in search of a doorknob to off myself.

Next up: Becoming Cliterate: Why Orgasm Equality Matters.

Yes, I read good books sometimes, too. But not always.
View Quote

Henry Ford’s autobiography!
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:15:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raven] [#22]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Not recently, but I tried reading Great Expectations in high school in the early 2000s.  It was the first, and maybe only time, I did not do what I was told in school.  It was awful.  When it came time to discuss the book, it was OBVIOUS that I wasn't the only one who couldn't finish it.
View Quote
I didn't like it either. I didn't see what was so great about it.

Great Gatsby, same.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Brandon Q Morris Solar System series. I'm on book 4, and that's going to be it. It's so boring. Characters, boring. fake physics, boring. Big Dumb Objects, boring. He even managed to have a black hole hurtling toward the sun be boring.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the Dresden Files so a while back I saw a audio book with Dresden Files and Jim Butcher in the title. The small print said edited by. The book was depressing and it sucked. I felt like I got ripped off by a misleading cover but it wasn't worth the trouble of complaining. It's one of the only books I couldn't finish.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 1:14:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#25]
The middle 2-3 books of “Wheel of Time”, complete slogs.

Also a couple of the books of Malazan Book of the Fallen were almost too much for me to finish. I can’t even begin to tell you which ones. Weird, because I liked the series overall (better than WOT, IMHO).

Another is the Gideon Crew novels by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child’s (two of my favorite authors). Brutally bad.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By eracer:
I thought it would be fun to revisit some old philosophy books, so I downloaded a few to my Kindle.

I really tried to enjoy David Hume: 'A Treatise of Human Nature'.

"For my part, when I enter most intimately into what I call myself, I always stumble on some particular perception or other, of heat or cold, light or shade, love or hatred, pain or pleasure. I never can catch myself at any time without a perception, and never can observe any thing but the perception. When my perceptions are removed for any time, as by sound sleep; so long I am insensible of myself, and may truly be said not to exist."

I get it.  But
View Quote

Actually...that sounds nice to read. I've been going through Montaigne's essays recently. Very relaxing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
The middle 2-3 books of “Wheel of Time”, complete slogs.

Also a couple of the books of Malazan Book of the Fallen were almost too much for me to finish. I can’t even begin to tell you which ones. Weird, because I liked the series overall (better than WOT, IMHO).

Another is the Gideon Crew novels by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child’s (two of my favorite authors). Brutally bad.
View Quote

Came to see if Malazan was already on the list. I think there are 10-12 books in this series, I was halfway through the 2nd to last book and thought to myself “this is painful to read” and did myself a favor and stopped.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By wvar15:
I like the Dresden Files so a while back I saw a audio book with Dresden Files and Jim Butcher in the title. The small print said edited by. The book was depressing and it sucked. I felt like I got ripped off by a misleading cover but it wasn't worth the trouble of complaining. It's one of the only books I couldn't finish.
View Quote

You should also skip 'The Law", which is written by Jim Butcher, in in the DF, but it read by Jim Butcher for the audiobook version. He can write. He cannot read, especially not as well as James Marsters.

Another one that I just read, on the recommendation of this site, was Once an Eagle. There were a few good parts, but overall the book was a slog. I thought it was poorly written, particularly the transitions between the different wars.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 3:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: geekz0r] [#29]
Originally Posted By Skillshot:
Entitled: How male privilege hurts women.

Half way through and I'm still trying to figure out what male privilege is.
View Quote

Libspeak (and envy) for “you have what I want”

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#31]
The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi.  Just could not get into it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Stephen King's The Gunslinger series.

The first one was okay. The rest? Jesus, what a chore to read. Once you're in you want to put the time in to get it over with so you didn't bail out. By the end, you know you got served a nothing burger that took forty years to write thru the different phases of his life.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Don Quixote was boring as hell.  I kept picking it up hoping I would get to a point that I found interesting, and after I was two thirds of the way through the book, I just gave up.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:10:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#34]

It was truly awful.

View Quote

Yes it was.

The sequel to Terminal List was boring until the last 100 pages.
Anything by Brad Thor, Dean Koontz, and a few others I can’t think of right now. But I have a
list of authors I refuse to read.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Spooky130:
"The British Are Coming" by Rick Atkinson.  I used the audiobook version to put myself to sleep.
View Quote
That's one of my favorite books.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Atlas Shrugged, I made it to 4% read on kindle, that was several years ago. Doubt i ever read the rest.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Genin:
Don Quixote was boring as hell.  I kept picking it up hoping I would get to a point that I found interesting, and after I was two thirds of the way through the book, I just gave up.
View Quote

I actually liked it but it took me a while to get into the book since I bought the first english translation by mistake. The language difference took a while to get used to. I'd like to see a rewrite with Don Quixote as a liberal white female social justice warrior. She travels around fighting imaginary evils and protecting the oppressed, but in reality just makes their life worse. Sancho can be a beta male that follows her around hoping to get laid. Tell me that wouldn't make a funny book
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Winner.  

I had the best of intentions, but couldn't even listen to the audiobook on an all day ROAD TRIP!!  That, my friends, is boring....
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#39]
The Great Gatsby and The Scarlet Letter.

I read them in high school and thought they were terrible (and I like reading).  I tried them again a couple years ago just to see how my view on them changed and I still think they are some of the most atrocious 'classics' ever written.  Whomever made them mandatory reading in my school must have hated their students.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#40]
The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Slaughterhouse 5 audiobook read by Ethan Hawke. Fuck those publishers for not stepping into the recording booth and punching him in the face.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top