Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2024 9:37:06 PM EDT
This is what has been fucking up the US for the last 50 Years-Written by a POS Feminist Scum...

The death of the nuclear family

The 'typical American family' was always a blip. It's time to rethink it.
Illustration of a family with houses in the back.
The typical American family — a happily married mother and father with two children who live under one roof — has slowly deteriorated over the last 50 years. Mark Harris for BI
Kelli María Korducki is a journalist and author. Her essays and reporting can be found in The New York Times, The New York Times Magazine, Cosmopolitan, and The Guardian, among others. Her first book, Hard To Do: The Surprising, Feminist History of Breaking Up, was published in 2018 by Coach House Books.

Kelli María Korducki
Mar 28, 2024, 4:33 AM CDT

For most of the 20th century, the word "family" in America evoked a predictable picture of cookie-cutter cleanliness: the happily married husband and wife, their 2.5 kids, and one improbably well-behaved golden retriever, all under the same roof. But the nuclear family has steadily eroded over the last 50 years.

The first major death knell came with the 1973 oil crisis and the two-year recession that followed, which signaled the end of the West's postwar prosperity boom. Since then, the nuclear family has crumbled piece by piece. In 1970, more than two-thirds of American adults between 25 and 49 lived with a spouse and at least one kid. By 2021, only 37% of adults fit the bill, Pew Research found.

Although it may be premature to declare the nuclear family officially over, the model is beginning to look more like a fringe lifestyle choice than the bedrock of American society.
Advertisement

The demise has sparked no shortage of (often racist, sexist, and homophobic) political backlash. From Elon Musk, the father of 11 kids, to the failed GOP presidential hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy, defenders of so-called "traditional family values" decry the potential economic hazards of plummeting birth rates and the social disorder caused by unruly men without wives to rein them in. Some even argue that the nuclear family is the cornerstone of democracy itself.
Two young boys in shorts run to greet Dad coming home from work while Mother is standing in the background. Circa 1960
For decades, the idea of the "family" consisted of a married couple with two kids. Camerique/Getty Images

Others, meanwhile, have eagerly cheered on the shift away from the stifling gender politics of the four-person norm. Critics include radical family-abolition scholars such as M.E. O'Brien, whose 2023 book "Family Abolition: Capitalism and the Communizing of Care" argues that the contained family structures "cannot carry the immense burden of work placed on them." On the other end of the political spectrum, in an early 2020 cover story for The Atlantic, the conservative columnist David Brooks declared the nuclear family "a mistake." Since the onset of the pandemic, the looming cloud of skepticism hanging over the whole concept of the "nuclear family" has only thickened.

Moar
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
All I’m gonna say is my family is great and God designed it to be a mommy and a daddy. People being imperfect cannot always make that happen, but cheering the destruction of the traditional family is more or less just another manifestation of liberals committing cultural suicide
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:47:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rno172] [#2]
The problem with conservatives. They truly cannot grasp just how much leftists despise them and want to destroy them.

These people hate your marriage, your kids, your house, even your fucking dog. And they want it all to burn.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#3]
From the article:

"Rather than changing families to be more like society, this vision of the future imagines a society that's more like a big, supportive family."

I don't see that happening.

The author looks just as I imagined she would.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
So then child support ends?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rno172:
The problem with conservatives. They truly cannot grasp just how much leftists despise them and want to destroy them.

These people hate your marriage, your kids, your house, even your fucking dog. And they want it all to burn.
View Quote

The Christian family has always been the backbone of America...from the beginning.

The Luciferian-cultural Marxists know this...and in order to destroy America (which is a major impediment to their Anti Christ one world government) they burrowed in...and took over all the great institutions...it's right in their manifesto.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The family hasn’t slowly deteriorated, it has been destroyed by the Democrat party and the other Marxists on the left.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
TIL there are family abolition scholars. WTF?

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Only leftists could consider a model that’s worked pretty well for thousands of years a failure compared to the dysfunctional shit they’ve come up with.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sharkman6:
From the article:

"Rather than changing families to be more like society, this vision of the future imagines a society that's more like a big, supportive family."

View Quote

She talks about needing trustworthy trust in society and a "third place".

Like this chick has never heard of a church before.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not a communist or a democrat, and I grew up a result of multiple, traditional, American families before me.

I knew since I was a child that I despised children, and could never imagine having the responsibility of having to support a family of my own. For those that think different I support and understand the significance, but as a voter who supports the same candidates that you do, don’t rule me out
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]
They want A Brave New World.

Children raised completely by The State, and adults leading a completely hedonistic consumer consumption lifestyle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#13]
The problem with alot of people is they are incapable of being in a partnership. My marriage is a partnership.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#14]
They didn't have a good family life growing up and are full of bile and bitterness.  So they are going to make damn sure no one else gets to grow up in a happy family either.   I've often wondered how they can be so evil and yet have such a large following.  Evil bitches, can't have it themselves, so destroy it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Lucy:
I am not a communist or a democrat, and I grew up a result of multiple, traditional, American families before me.

I knew since I was a child that I despised children, and could never imagine having the responsibility of having to support a family of my own. For those that think different I support and understand the significance, but as a voter who supports the same candidates that you do, don't rule me out
View Quote
I never understood that. As a teenager, I didn't like kids because they were annoying, but as an adult, I have my own. I think understanding that children are not just little adults and having some empathy might  change your mind, at least from an outside perspective.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#16]
She sounds like a cunt
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I can sit in a grade school, middle school and high school and point to which kids have a nuclear family.  It is a beautiful sight, unfortunately it is rare.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Economic collapse and all the LGBTQ/Feminazism goes away as people scramble to feed themselves.

BTW, what we have to worry about if the cities don't starve is that the cities organize and star conquering the countryside to get food.  That's what the bolshelviks did and it took about a decade before they consolidated their hold over Russia.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Riter:
Economic collapse and all the LGBTQ/Feminazism goes away as people scramble to feed themselves.

BTW, what we have to worry about if the cities don't starve is that the cities organize and star conquering the countryside to get food.  That's what the bolshelviks did and it took about a decade before they consolidated their hold over Russia.
View Quote
I've wondered about that.  It used to common that everyone had rifles and a gun but it's getting to be an oddity.  I carried my AR from my pickup to my house and some people walking down the road (we live near a lake and people will walk down our country lane to walk up to the lake) crossed the street - gave me a weird look and asked me what I had it for.  It kind of surprised me but I just said it was really fun to shoot and let them scared off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Destruction of nuclear families have helped black communities and children so much since the mid 1960's.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Primecube:
This is what has been fucking up the US for the last 50 Years-Written by a POS Feminist Scum...

The death of the nuclear family

The demise has sparked no shortage of (often racist, sexist, and homophobic) political backlash. From Elon Musk, the father of 11 kids, to the failed GOP presidential hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy, defenders of so-called "traditional family values" decry the potential economic hazards of plummeting birth rates and the social disorder caused by unruly men without wives to rein them in. Some even argue that the nuclear family is the cornerstone of democracy itself.
Two young boys in shorts run to greet Dad coming home from work while Mother is standing in the background. Circa 1960
For decades, the idea of the "family" consisted of a married couple with two kids. Camerique/Getty Images

Moar
View Quote
As soon as the ridiculous leftist accusations of racist, sexist, homophobic, etc come out, I immediately tune out the author as a leftist freak who has nothing of interest to say.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#22]
From the article:

View Quote

Like street gangs?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HDSledge:
They didn't have a good family life growing up and are full of bile and bitterness.  So they are going to make damn sure no one else gets to grow up in a happy family either.   I've often wondered how they can be so evil and yet have such a large following.  Evil bitches, can't have it themselves, so destroy it.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:20:37 AM EDT
[#24]
(((feminists)))
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#25]
At least the author will have her cats to take care of her when she is old.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Dumb cunt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ArmedKulak:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmedKulak:
From the article:

That chick would spontaneously explode if she set foot in a church..
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By winxlite:
At least the author will have her cats to take care of her when she is old.
View Quote

And eat her when she keels over finally.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:04:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Cats and the manufacturers of cat products will be happy with this.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#30]
From the article:

View Quote

Angry bitter loser, can’t figure out why she is unhappy - blames a world that violates her view
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#31]

🤣
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I try not to think about facts like this because it pisses me off so fucking much I want to violate CoC.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#33]

The Borg!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#34]
They go against everything the Bible says and we wonder, as a society, why we are in such a mess right now. They want this destruction as it is of their father.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:25:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I keep having to remind myself these batshit crazy fuckers are real, since I don't ever encounter them.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

With the exception of your tax monies...
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#38]

This sentence alone reveals vast ignorance on the part of the author.  Families are already part of society.  If families are changed to be more like "society" (what she really means is more like "her circle of friends") then society has fundamentally changed for the worse.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry, I don’t take life advice from broken people.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#40]
She needs to be punched in the balls.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
I can sit in a grade school, middle school and high school and point to which kids have a nuclear family.  It is a beautiful sight, unfortunately it is rare.
View Quote

Without your insight, could I, as an outsider, do the same thing?

What's the clue?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#43]
They simply want to be the biggest influence on children, which should scare everyone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Lucy:

I knew since I was a child that I despised children, and could never imagine having the responsibility of having to support a family of my own. For those that think different I support and understand the significance, but as a voter who supports the same candidates that you do, don’t rule me out
View Quote

There is a huge difference between someone who decides not to get married/have a family,
And someone who wants to destroy the concept of family, hates people that get married and have a family, ruin things for families, etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:55:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drsalee] [#45]
In the old days, this dingbat would be labeled a nutty spinster and shunned.  Nobody would pay any attention to her.  If she happened to share a pillow with a man, she would likely encounter a good slap if she began yammering.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

I love my marriage, my kids, my house, and my dog.  

Let's do it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#48]
The joke is on the feminists, because the destructive changes they have made aren't good for women at all.

Now everyone gets to enjoy the misery of their folly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Somebody needs to call the eyebrow police on whatever AI made those.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JIMBEAM] [#50]
Because single moms do a wonderful job raising kids alone?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top