Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/27/2024 3:09:02 PM EDT
I cant wait to hear the stories.

He did it once before and it turned into a day (half day) hike.

These are two fellow scouts and their brother. They've gotten a little doughy in the several years since scouting. Jake (my son) is in pretty good shape.

He knew enough to do a pack check this time. One boy had a stainless knife fork and spoon and chop sticks set, an E tool, one of those canvas and flannel 12 pound sleeping bags, last time.

This time they did better but still no pack under 30 pounds, he said.
Cans of food. Multiple cookware items. Changes of clothes. EMT sized FAK. Multiple knives. A hatchet. A "D" cell flash light.

I blame this on the Scout Master whose pack was never under 50#. Dude took the motto a little too literally.

I told him to take a pic of the pile of shit they left at the house.

He planned for 3 miles each day. A brutal pace for a couch potato hauling 30 pounds.

Its Red River Gorge area if anybody cares. Beautiful place to BP. Off trail camping. Great views. Some aggressive trails and some decent rock climbing. Wish I didnt have jobs due. They invited me.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I need to write them a suno.com song.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ridgerunner9876] [#2]
Shit. Not sure how I dt that one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Chop sticks and an E tool.  They will learn.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Chop sticks and an E tool.  They will learn.
View Quote

The boy goes a little too far the other direction, imho. His pack is 18 pounds with food and 3l of water....and his luxury item a camp chair that I think is about 1.5#

Hes got a 600 dollar tent that feels like a walmart bag. A 380 dollar quilt that is supposedly a 20f job that's like 14oz. Titanium this and carbon fiber that.

When I was his age, I camped with a GI poncho and woobie. Two if it got below 50. Cook gear was a gi canteen and cup. We didnt have light stuff. We used less stuff if we wanted a light pack.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
A D cell flashlight?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I took a couple flatlander couch potatoes into the Beartooths over 4th of July once.
Did a gear check at the trailhead, the night before departure.
Pair of jeans for each day?
Fuck that.
Cast iron pan?
Nope.
2x 1gallon containers of water at the top of your pack?
No, just...no.
They had a great time but got their asses kicked. Attachment Attached File

This one was less than stoked on the hike out. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure they baptize their clothes in permethrin before they go
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:18:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#8]
GREAT story!

Thanks for making me laugh.

I borrowed one of those canvas bags on my first outing, and had borrowed a canvas Boy Scout test, too.  

Use what you have and don't let your gear stop you from going.

Those were the first two items I purchased for my gear.  I still have and use the tent and bag I bought.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Good for him. More folks need to get out into the wild more. It's good for them physically and mentally.
With the unpredictable weather this time of year, do they have a WX/AM/FM radio? Relying on a smart phone can be asking for disaster in some areas.

For future reference: LINK
(NOAA WX is VHF line-of-sight, so AM capability can provide info when WX reception is blocked by terrain.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember a couple times when the assistant scout master had to walk the same scout back to the trail head and drive him back home.

Packing too heavy and being out of shape will ruin a good time.

We did shakedowns before every hike after the second ruined trip for that assistant scoutmaster.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By GNJ:
I remember a couple times when the assistant scout master had to walk the same scout back to the trail head and drive him back home.

We did shakedowns before every hike after the second ruined trip for that assistant scoutmaster.
View Quote
we did monthly weekend (2 day) trips.

Our week long summer trip was invitation only.  We'd pack at someone's house the night before and basically divvy up the gear then- also served as our "pack list review."

If you couldn't prove yourself on the monthly hikes, you didn't get invited to the week long.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Red river gorge area is an awesome place to hike! I'm out there pretty frequently hiking off the ridges.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:
I took a couple flatlander couch potatoes into the Beartooths over 4th of July once.
Fuck that.
Cast iron pan?
Nope.
No, just...no.
They had a great time but got their asses kicked. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/370487/20190705_123852_jpg-3199534.JPG

This one was less than stoked on the hike out. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/370487/20190708_165501_jpg-3199535.JPG
View Quote

LOL. That smile changed to a 87 yard stare.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
Good for him. More folks need to get out into the wild more. It's good for them physically and mentally.
With the unpredictable weather this time of year, do they have a WX/AM/FM radio? Relying on a smart phone can be asking for disaster in some areas.

For future reference: LINK
(NOAA WX is VHF line-of-sight, so AM capability can provide info when WX reception is blocked by terrain.
View Quote

He checked the weather.

They're scouts, if a little doughy. They're used to the rain, burnt or raw food, lots of bugs, beating sun.

Jakes pretty serious. He and another friend hiked some of the Wind River Range last fall. His buddy pushed them harder than he should. Went to 11k feet in 9 hrs from 6k. 13 miles up. I get a text from his sat garmin at their 3am. "Gar is sick. Alt. Headed down" 6k feet and 13 mi back down startin' at 3am when you got there at about 9pm.

Gotta admit I was a little concerned. That's big boy country. Red River Gorge, if you walk a mile or two in any direction, you'll hit a road or major trail. Water everywhere. Cliffs are a concern if you're drunk and wondering around at night.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CreativeBall:
Red river gorge area is an awesome place to hike! I'm out there pretty frequently hiking off the ridges.
View Quote

They're doing Hansen's ridge and Grey's arch, I think. I've got the plan in his text and they're coming back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Reminds me of the old tv show “3 Fat guys in the woods” or something like that. Former Eagle Scout that teaches survival skills would grab 3 old fat dudes and make them build shelter and survive off the land for a couple nights.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

Our week long summer trip was invitation only.  We'd pack at someone's house the night before and basically divvy up the gear then- also served as our "pack list review."

If you couldn't prove yourself on the monthly hikes, you didn't get invited to the week long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Originally Posted By GNJ:

We usually headed out Friday night. Set up in the dark rain or shine. Back to the Fire Dept (our meeting place) Sunday for pickup.

I learned the hard way about making sure the boys were properly outfitted for any real hike or campout. Kid got pretty cold but we got him warmed up. All my fault for not checking that his parents had outfitted him with his "sleepover" bag and cotton sox/ long johns for a weekend that saw single digit temps.

Doesn't matter how much you preach. Until they experience consequences, they don't really take it to heart.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Ridgerunner9876:
Cans of food. Multiple cookware items. Changes of clothes. EMT sized FAK. Multiple knives. A hatchet. A "D" cell flash light.
View Quote
Screen name?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Looks like perfect weather. There is no place I'd rather hike than Eastern US deciduous forests. God's country for sure.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
Reminds me of the old tv show “3 Fat guys in the woods” or something like that. Former Eagle Scout that teaches survival skills would grab 3 old fat dudes and make them build shelter and survive off the land for a couple nights.
View Quote

Creek. I remember that show. Dude knew his stuff pretty well and had just the right amount of philosophy to put in.

Loved the episode where they'd chowed down on Jerusalem artichoke. They make you fart. A lot. Really obnoxious smells.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By seaskidoo:
Fuck that.
Cast iron pan?
Nope.
No, just...no.
They had a great time but got their asses kicked. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/370487/20190705_123852_jpg-3199534.JPG

This one was less than stoked on the hike out. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/370487/20190708_165501_jpg-3199535.JPG
View Quote

2 gallons of water?

lol

Wasted space and weight that should be reserved for alcohol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Screen name?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Screen name?

LOL. I'm sure there are some here.

I'm sure you've watched A Walk in the Woods. Nick Nolte's character cracked me up.

"I left some stuff back there".

"What stuff did you leave"

" I don't know. Heavy shit".
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:30:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Curmudgeon762] [#25]
My boys and their crew started out a little rough as well training for Philmont. The did practice hikes for 5-6 months and they learned what to pack, how to pack, how to dress etc. All of them survived the trip and did maybe 70 miles in 10 days with 3 summits over 10k. My skinny ASD son did it carrying half his body weight most days. It’s very gratifying to see the development in so many areas when you get a group like that out on the trail
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
My boys and their crew started out a little rough as well training for Philmont. The did practice hikes for 5-6 months and they learned what to pack, how to pack, how to dress etc. All of them survived the trip and did maybe 70 miles in 10 days with 3 summits over 10k. My skinny ASD son did it carrying half his body weight most days. It’s very gratifying to see the development in so many areas when you get a group like that out on the trail
View Quote

Being a scout leader was one of the most rewarding things I've done in my life. It was very much an honor to mentor those boys as the grew into men.

Seeing most of the 8 boys who started in my basement as tiger cub little guys, now hanging out, finding their way in life at 24 yo is pretty damn awesome.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Being a scout leader was one of the most rewarding things I've done in my life. It was very much an honor to mentor those boys as the grew into men.

Seeing most of the 8 boys who started in my basement as tiger cub little guys, now hanging out, finding their way in life at 24 yo is pretty damn awesome.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#28]
The boy goes a little too far the other direction, imho. His pack is 18 pounds with food and 3l of water....and his luxury item a camp chair that I think is about 1.5#
Hes got a 600 dollar tent that feels like a walmart bag. A 380 dollar quilt that is supposedly a 20f job that's like 14oz. Titanium this and carbon fiber that.
View Quote
I think that shit's wild. In the words of Jack Aubrey, "What a fascinating modern age we live in."
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#29]
3 miles a day? what are they going to do with the other 13 hours of sunlight?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#30]
More folks need to get out into the wild more.
View Quote
Maybe I am too much of a grouchy old shit that's seen too many places messed up, but I'd rather they didn't.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By billth777:
View Quote

Sweating prolly. Couch potatoes sweat a lot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:22:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo] [#32]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Creek. I remember that show. Dude knew his stuff pretty well and had just the right amount of philosophy to put in.

Loved the episode where they'd chowed down on Jerusalem artichoke. They make you fart. A lot. Really obnoxious smells.
View Quote

That was a good show. I wonder why it didn’t last.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By zach_:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zach_:
Originally Posted By billth777:

And rest.

I do like to take a leisurely pace. I'm there to see the sights and animals and plants. 6-8 miles a day is fine for me.

The boy likes to put in 15+. I've done my time adventure racing. I dont feel that need on a backpacking trip. The crew with him, on those trails....3-5 miles is enough of a challenge to make them feel like they had a hike and still make them want to do it again.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Waldo:
As far as gear. I was well into middle age when I started backpacking. Never had the time before.

It didn't take me long to get rid of my first big pack and go to a small, lightweight pack, tarptent, down bag, ect. That was added expense, but weight is not kind to old body parts.
A big pack just encourages you to pack too much shit. Buy a small pack.

Hated to carry water and hike dry ridge top trails with no water source to filter. Honestly, humping water was the thing I hated most.  

This thread makes me wish I was 20 years younger. I'm sitting here with my foot in a Herman Munster boot eating 60mg of prednisone a day waiting for the insurance to OK an MRI.

I really enjoyed all the backpacking trips I was able to take.
View Quote

Hope you get better Waldo. I enjoy your posts about your cabin and fishing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:40:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#36]
Originally Posted By King-Of-Town:
A D cell flashlight?
View Quote

Last year April my guys took a newbie out on a Leave No Trace overnight and discovered he was packing a 6volt lantern and an e-tool.

We've been to Philmont a few times. A trip or two back we encountered the first blizzard of the season(it was an Autumn trek). Trudged through 8 inches with a noncompliant scout for two miles to get to a backcountry "cabin" at one of the mines.

Our ranger sent one of the older Scouts to gather some firewood with a 26" axe.  Another he put to work getting the stove ready with a 12" cast iron pan.

I asked the guy where those were kept and he told me he'd carried them.

The experienced guide was carrying a 2 pound axe and a 4 or 5 pound skillet.

It's nothing to them. They know the trails and it's like a quick walk through your city park to you and me.

My middle son is now a veteran staffer of a Winter
Okpik session over the past December through Marchat Northern Tier in Minnesota. He's been to the 4 High Adventure bases multiple times and staffed our local camps for 4 years before he turned 18 last year. Applied to work Northern Tier for this upcoming Summer andcwas hired, but found out they were hurting for staff over Winter and got hired for that too. Said it was the best thing he'd ever done. This Summer he goes back to be an Interpreter in Canada for the 15 day canoe treks. Not bad for an 18 year old. The hope is his 17 year old brother who turns 18 in October will accompany him to another Winter session this December.

The experience with our Philmont Rangers sticks out as a heavy influence on the middle boy's own sense of preparedness, competence, and gear loading.

He's ready to try anything and makes quick but judicious decisions on what stays and what goes.

Nothing is better than experience. Not even expert advice.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#37]

When I was his age, I camped with a GI poncho and woobie. Two if it got below 50. Cook gear was a gi canteen and cup. We didnt have light stuff. We used less stuff if we wanted a light pack.
View Quote

Mine is similar. 3 day pack is 20 pounds with same luxury item. I carry only a liter at a time though and fill as I go.

I love leading couch potatoes in the woods.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:46:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Maybe I am too much of a grouchy old shit that's seen too many places messed up, but I'd rather they didn't.
View Quote

I just wish I could still do it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#40]

These are two fellow scouts and their brother. They've gotten a little doughy in the several years since scouting. Jake (my son) is in pretty good shape.

He knew enough to do a pack check this time. One boy had a stainless knife fork and spoon and chop sticks set, an E tool, one of those canvas and flannel 12 pound sleeping bags, last time.

I blame this on the Scout Master whose pack was never under 50#. Dude took the motto a little too literally.

He planned for 3 miles each day. A brutal pace for a couch potato hauling 30 pounds.

Its Red River Gorge area if anybody cares. Beautiful place to BP. Off trail camping. Great views. Some aggressive trails and some decent rock climbing. Wish I didnt have jobs due. They invited me.

View Quote
Two words: mole skin.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Did hiking/climbing/camping trips to Red River Gorge a few times, would go back if I still lived in the area.

Maybe not the rock climbing, anymore.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I grew up in NKY.

I miss RRG.  if I had to pick, I'd say it's my favorite place.

One of the first places I took my wife for a date and where we honeymooned.

Actually I think that first date we hiked to Hansen's point.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Heavy packs are one thing.  Altitude is another.  

I am one of those people dumb enough to spend 30+ nights a year with kids in the woods.  It is usually a good time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:57:05 AM EDT
[#44]

I just wish I could still do it.
View Quote
I hear ya on that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:02:46 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Sounds like he needed to send out a packing list and gear suggestions well ahead of time to nip some of that in the bud
Since they aren't buying ultralight gear I would expect them to have thirty pound packs.
They really consider a three mile hike to be a hardship?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:44:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Sounds like he needed to send out a packing list and gear suggestions well ahead of time to nip some of that in the bud
Since they aren't buying ultralight gear I would expect them to have thirty pound packs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tc556guy:

That's three miles PER DAY buddy. Carrying 30 whole pounds on shoulders and backs built for video gaming. Up and down hills. Over creeks. Out-of-doors.

I dont think you grasp the magnitude of this endeavor.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:

Okpik session over the past December through Marchat Northern Tier in Minnesota. He's been to the 4 High Adventure bases multiple times and staffed our local camps for 4 years before he turned 18 last year. Applied to work Northern Tier for this upcoming Summer andcwas hired, but found out they were hurting for staff over Winter and got hired for that too. Said it was the best thing he'd ever done. This Summer he goes back to be an Interpreter in Canada for the 15 day canoe treks.
View Quote

What's the name of the 15 day canoe trek through Canada?

My fil and BIL did one 30 years ago and fil wants to pay for me and my boy to go but we can't find the camp.

@Giltweasel
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:38:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DADGAD] [#48]
Most of our scouts won't do more than truck camping. I have a day trip planned to get them prepared for something bigger. Hopefully that will get them to sign on for a full backpacking trip, but I am not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#49]
To me there are three levels of camping...

Car camping - take anything and everything....

Backpacking - can not take anything

then my style...

Kayak camping - take anything in reason - LOL

hell I take chairs and a table

Awesome post OP.

Red
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:02:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Giltweasel] [#50]
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:

My fil and BIL did one 30 years ago and fil wants to pay for me and my boy to go but we can't find the camp.

@Giltweasel
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ENGCPT:
Originally Posted By Giltweasel:

Okpik session over the past December through Marchat Northern Tier in Minnesota. He's been to the 4 High Adventure bases multiple times and staffed our local camps for 4 years before he turned 18 last year. Applied to work Northern Tier for this upcoming Summer andcwas hired, but found out they were hurting for staff over Winter and got hired for that too. Said it was the best thing he'd ever done. This Summer he goes back to be an Interpreter in Canada for the 15 day canoe treks.

@Giltweasel

@ENGCPT

The Scouts in Canada only have one base open this year. There are probably dozens of other Outfitters and locations.  This is the one my son will be working. They might have shorter treks, but he's been specifically tasked with the 15-day outings.

Atikokan, Ontario.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top