Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2023 10:07:21 PM EDT
Currently using a Tamron G2, and for the most part I've enjoyed the lens, especially the stabilazation built into it, but what else is out there that is better?   Assuming the Nikon, but also assuming it's pricey as hell.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:21:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#1]
Your choices are either OEM, usually more expensive but better optics. Or third party like Tamron or Sigma, usually cheaper, but the optics aren't quite as good and sometimes the focusing mechanism isn't quite as fast as on native lenses. Other than Tamron or Sigma there aren't any other third party lens makers that build autofocus capable lenses for most camera systems other than the OEMs. There are some other off brand manufacturers that make lenses that are manual focus only.

The 24-70mm f2.8 is one of those basic, must have lenses in every camera format. It's worth the money to have a native in this focal length.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 5:37:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Just for information, the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR Lens is currently on sale for $1600.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Been thinking about this, and a big part of my issue is that I think every lens has to have stabilazation built into it.    

My Tamron is a decent lens, but sometimes I need more speed, and a 50mm f/1.8 might be worth a try......they are certainly cheap enuf.    And being that the move is to mirrorless, it would be silly for me to sell my Tamron (for not much money) and replace it with a $1500 lens, which is built for a DSLR.

One of the many things I enjoy about photography is the relentless pursuit of perfection, and how to obtain the "perfect" pic.    Probably wouldn't hurt to read up on stuff, too.   lol

Thanks for the help.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question. I thought you were looking for an alternative 24-70mm f2.8 lens.

If you're looking for prime lenses then there are lots of options. It really depends on what your shooting style is and what you are taking pics of. Are you doing portraits, landscapes, sports and action photos, etc... You can do a lot with a 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm prime lenses all in f1.8.

One of the lenses that I have is a Soviet era Helios 44M-2 which is a 58mm f2 lens that has some unique swirly bokeh. It's an M42 screw mount, but I have an M42 to Canon EF mount adapter and then the EF to RF mount adapter from Canon to use on my Canon EOS R6 mkII. It takes some very cool and unique photos but is manual focus only and isn't quite as sharp as the newer OEM lenses. You can find these used for around $120.

It really just depends on what you are looking for. There's lots of options once you open up your criteria to prime lenses and manual focus.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question. I thought you were looking for an alternative 24-70mm f2.8 lens.

If you're looking for prime lenses then there are lots of options. It really depends on what your shooting style is and what you are taking pics of. Are you doing portraits, landscapes, sports and action photos, etc... You can do a lot with a 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm prime lenses all in f1.8.

One of the lenses that I have is a Soviet era Helios 44M-2 which is a 58mm f2 lens that has some unique swirly bokeh. It's an M42 screw mount, but I have an M42 to Canon EF mount adapter and then the EF to RF mount adapter from Canon to use on my Canon EOS R6 mkII. It takes some very cool and unique photos but is manual focus only and isn't quite as sharp as the newer OEM lenses. You can find these used for around $120.

It really just depends on what you are looking for. There's lots of options once you open up your criteria to prime lenses and manual focus.
View Quote

I guess I kinda switched the topic.   lol.   Sorry about that.     Anyway, I guess I'm starting to give some thought on switching over to mirrorless at some point, and putting more (big money) inso DSLR lenses probably isn't the smartest thing to do.   I do have a Sigma 85mm f/1.4 which I hardly ever use, since as (I think I did) I stated before, I think everything needs stabilization, when I really know better.    The Sigma is an awesome lens, but it makes the camera a bit nose heavy......thinking my ideal lens for indoors banging around would be a 50mm f/1.8.

Thanks for all the info.   :)

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#6]
If you’re looking for a little longer prime that does double (primary duty, really) duty as a macro, look at the Nikon 105 f/2.8. About $400 used in great condition.

It’s a simply stellar lens all around.

Shadow Leap by FredMan, on Flickr

Reclining Moxie by FredMan, on Flickr

Lily Pistil by FredMan, on Flickr

DOF is razor thin at macro distances.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:
If you’re looking for a little longer prime that does double (primary duty, really) duty as a macro, look at the Nikon 105 f/2.8. About $400 used in great condition.

It’s a simply stellar lens all around.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1975/31291911907_298151dc70_h.jpgShadow Leap by FredMan, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48890152293_0ce9299fb5_h.jpgReclining Moxie by FredMan, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/4562/26418114989_b1ae380e78_h.jpgLily Pistil by FredMan, on Flickr

DOF is razor thin at macro distances.
View Quote

Your pics are always rockin'.     Thx for the info.    :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top