BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
The Roman Catechism (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/20/2022 6:32:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: abnk]
This is the second attempt (see admin note*).

The Roman Catechism or the Catechism of the Council of Trent has been in use for centuries, and I think it would be safe to assert that it is the most venerable catechism we have.  After finishing his series on the Catechism of Pope St. Pius X, Fr. Dave Nix is launching a new series on the Roman Catechism.  Based on positive feedback on the previous series, it seemed beneficial to start a thread on the Roman Catechism.

For anyone wanting to read along, you can pick up a book or read online here.  Those wanting a print, I'm aware of only two modern prints; one from TAN Books and one from Baronius Press.

RCT1: Intro (Part A)

Additional thoughts: Why we need a catechism.

* Admin note: My initial attempt got archived prematurely about a month ago.  I went about a month without posting due to being out of town and came back to finding the thread archived.  A month without activity should not have been it because even right now there are other threads in this forum that have not had activity in two months without being archived.  Either way, to those who posted and subscribed to the first attempt, apologies.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
RCT2: Intro (Part B)

Additional thoughts: History and authority of the Roman Catechism.  If you want to read more of the history, you can start at page three of this online version.  I'll update the original post with the link in case anyone wants to read it online as opposed to getting a book.  The video also includes a brief treatise on the death penalty used as an example.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
RCT3: Part I: THE CREED - Faith, Necessity of Faith, and Unity of Faith

Additional thoughts: Between RCT2 and RCT3, there is the book's introductory note on page 8 of the PDF version posted above.  Not sure why Father skipped it, but I recommend you read it before watching the video because it is very good.  Father tries a new format in presenting this episode, but for what it's worth, I like the old format better.  Charity > faith, but we need faith to have charity.  We can have truth without love, but not love without truth.

RCT 3: Faith: The Building Block
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
RCT4: Part I: THE CREED - The Creed and Division of the Creed

Additional thoughts: The will follows the intellect.  Our faith is the beginning of eternal life.  Father makes up missing the introductory note from last time.

RCT 4: The Creed and Pope St. Pius V
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
RCT5: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE I : "I BELIEVE IN GOD, THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH", Meaning Of This Article, "I Believe," Faith Excludes Doubt, Faith Excludes Curiousity, Faith Requires Open Profession

Additional thoughts: Early martyrs.  Conviction is primarily in the intellect and will.  God's kindness leads people to repentance.  Our faith is unchangeable.  

RCT 5: An Unchangeable Faith.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
RCT6: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE I : "I BELIEVE IN GOD, THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH", "In God", Knowledge Of God More Easily Obtained Through Faith Than Through Reason, Knowledge Of God Obtained Through Faith Is Clearer

Additional thoughts: Truth without Christ will never be complete.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
RCT7: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE I : "I BELIEVE IN GOD, THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH", Knowledge Of God Obtained Through Faith Is More Certain, Knowledge Of God Obtained Through Faith Is More Ample And Exalted, The Unity Of Nature In God, The Trinity Of Persons In God

Additional thoughts: Example of Flathead Indians in Montana.  Connection to Romans 1.  No one can come to Christ without Divine Revelation.  Thank God for having been born after the Incarnation.

RCT 7: The Certainty of Our Faith
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
In for the knowledge
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, this is substantial. And I have a very high opinion of Fr David Nix.
Thanks abnk.
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]
@abnk - Which copy of the Catechism of the Council of Trent do you have?
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By monadh:
@abnk - Which copy of the Catechism of the Council of Trent do you have?
View Quote

I have the Baronius, but that's only because it was the only version they had in stock where I bought it.  The TAN one is here.  I have a Holy Bible and other books from TAN and I think they're great too.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#11]
RCT8: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE I : "I BELIEVE IN GOD, THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH", "The Father," God Is Called Father Because He Is Creator And Ruler,
God Is Called Father Because He Adopts Christians Through Grace, The Name Father Also Discloses The Plurality Of Persons In God

Additional thoughts: Son of the Father by nature and sons of the Father by adoption.  Can non-Christians call God Father?  

Link Posted: 11/25/2022 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought the Tan book and will use it as a reference while watching the videos. As always, thanks for responding to the questions. I'm sure I will have more to come.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for putting this on.  I have made the decision to try to join the Catholic church.  That may seem to be a strange way to announce, however my health may limit the time to accomplish what seems so much.  Whether months or a year or two, I will at least get started on this journey.  I have always been a follower, but avoided churches as it seems like the pastors or priests that I came into contact were up to no good.
Again, Thank You for putting this on where I was able to find it.

Ray
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 11:39:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By monadh:
I bought the Tan book and will use it as a reference while watching the videos. As always, thanks for responding to the questions. I'm sure I will have more to come.
View Quote

Originally Posted By trog57:
Thank you for putting this on.  I have made the decision to try to join the Catholic church.  That may seem to be a strange way to announce, however my health may limit the time to accomplish what seems so much.  Whether months or a year or two, I will at least get started on this journey.  I have always been a follower, but avoided churches as it seems like the pastors or priests that I came into contact were up to no good.

Ray
View Quote

Praise be to God, brother!  I will continue shortly with the videos I missed during Advent.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#15]
RCT9: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE I : "I BELIEVE IN GOD, THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH"
    The Doctrine Of The Trinity, Practical Admonitions Concerning The Mystery Of The Trinity

Additional thoughts: Brief coverage of the heresy of modalism.  This is one episode where familiarity with St. Thomas really comes in handy.  Filioque and the Greeks.

Link Posted: 1/2/2023 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#16]
RCT10: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE I : "I BELIEVE IN GOD, THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH"
    "Almighty," Meaning Of The Term "Almighty," Why Omnipotence Alone Is Mentioned In The Creed, Advantages Of Faith In God’s Omnipotence, Not Three Almighties But One Almighty

Additional thoughts: Comments on universalism and free will.  The problem of suffering.  Athanasian Creed.

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Tagged for later, thank you sir.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gullskjegg:
View Quote

My pleasure, brother.  My recommendation would be that you start with this series.  The episodes are shorter, content is concise, and it is meant for the laity.  I think you'll make quicker progress with that.  Or you could simply read it here.  After that, you could get more theological meat from the series of this thread which has longer episodes, more detailed analysis, it was meant primarily for priests.  However, nothing wrong with following this one if find this more appealing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By abnk:

My pleasure, brother.  My recommendation would be that you start with this series.  The episodes are shorter, content is concise, and it is meant for the laity.  I think you'll make quicker progress with that.  Or you could simply read it here.  After that, you could get more theological meat from the series of this thread which has longer episodes, more detailed analysis, it was meant primarily for priests.  However, nothing wrong with following this one if find this more appealing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I will do that, I’ve been listening to recordings from the priest of the church we went to last Sunday.  Very bright man.

We’re about to eat dinner and then go to a class at the church this evening.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#20]
RCT11: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE I : "I BELIEVE IN GOD, THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH"
    "Creator," "Of Heaven and Earth," Creation Of The World Of Spirits, Formation Of The Universe, Production Of Man, "Of all Things Visible and Invisible," God Preserves, Rules And Moves All Created Things, Creation Is The Work Of The Three Persons

Additional thoughts: God's desire to communicate His goodness to creatures.  Our current exile and our voyage back to Him.  Do we prefer our independence to God's goodness?  God's infinite holiness.

RCT 11: Creator of Heaven and Earth
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#21]
RCT12: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE II : "AND IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY SON, OUR LORD"
    Advantages Of Faith In This Article, Necessity Of Faith In This Article,

Additional thoughts: Protestants may be surprised by the first paragraph in this article.  Working for the salvation of souls vs. working for human progress.  Abp. Fulton Sheen on ancient pagan prophesies about the Savior.  Fulfillment of prophecies.

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Wife and I are on RCT 11 now. Awesome series.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Wife and I are on RCT 11 now. Awesome series.
View Quote

Glad to hear it, brother!
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:45:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: abnk] [#24]
RCT13: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE II : "AND IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY SON, OUR LORD"
   "Jesus," "Christ"

Additional thoughts: Most Holy Name of Jesus, reverence to it and misuse of it.  Bowing the head at the name of Jesus.  Christ is King!  Every knee should bow and every tongue should confess.

RCT 13: The Holy Name of Jesus

RCT14: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE II : "AND IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY SON, OUR LORD"
   "His Only Son"

Additional thoughts: Who are Christians?  Who are not Christians?  A little about Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:06:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EastWest] [#25]

The latest update of the catechism from Fr. David Nix. Father starts off with the ancient prayer of the Eastern Church, "O Heavenly King". A powerful, beautiful prayer to the Holy Spirit.

Best wishes to everyone for this Ash Wednesday and for a fruitful Lent.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 5:39:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: T1NMAN] [#26]
Originally Posted By trog57:

Ray
View Quote

Shoot brother...you could swing by a Calvary Chapel..read the statment of Faith.. profess your faith in Jesus Christ ...we'll have you hooked up with a small group next week and booked for baptism!

Church Finder
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 10:44:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EastWest] [#27]
RCT 16: Conceived by the Holy Ghost

Latest update from Fr David Nix of the Roman Catechism. Article 3 of the Nicene Creed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By EastWest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5CIvH-Kt4

Latest update from Fr David Nix of the Roman Catechism. Article 3 of the Nicene Creed.
View Quote

Excellent
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#29]
thank you for posting this
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jmb95023:
thank you for posting this
View Quote

You are most welcome!
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you, brother EastWest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Thank you, brother EastWest.
View Quote

You are most welcome, brother abnk!
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Council of Trent is The Catechism IMO.  I finally learned to stay away from anything pre-1955.  Refuse to indoctrinate anyone to the books of the infiltration.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Added RCT 14 above.  I messed up the order somehow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#35]
RCT15: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE II : "AND IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY SON, OUR LORD"
  "Our Lord", "Duties Owed To Christ Our Lord"

Additional thoughts: Padre has trial coming up for his work to save babies.  Speculative theology vs. moral theology.  Would Christ have become incarnate if our first parents did not sin?  Brief commentary on infant baptism.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JoseyWales:
Council of Trent is The Catechism IMO.  I finally learned to stay away from anything pre-1955.  Refuse to indoctrinate anyone to the books of the infiltration.
View Quote

I think you meant 'stay away from anything post-1955' right?
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#37]
RCT16: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE III : "WHO WAS CONCEIVED BY THE HOLY GHOST, BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY"
  "Importance of this article", First Part of this Article: "Who was Conceived," "By the Holy Ghost"

Additional thoughts: God's infinite goodness and why we need to thank Him for it.  Christ, one person, two natures.

RCT 16: Conceived by the Holy Ghost
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 3:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: abnk] [#38]
RCT17: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE III : "WHO WAS CONCEIVED BY THE HOLY GHOST, BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY"
 In The Incarnation Some Things Were Natural, Others Supernatural, How To Profit By The Mystery Of The Incarnation

Additional thoughts: Sin takes away from our humanity.  Grace builds upon nature.

Link Posted: 7/17/2023 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks, brother!
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks, brother!
View Quote

My pleasure and sorry for not posting sooner.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:14:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: abnk] [#41]
RCT18: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE III : "WHO WAS CONCEIVED BY THE HOLY GHOST, BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY"
    Second Part Of This Article: "Born Of The Virgin Mary," The Nativity Of Christ Transcends The Order Of Nature, Christ Compared to Adam Mary to Eve

Additional thoughts: Father speaks of the Chosen series.  Not a fan of it due to doctrinal errors.  Ancient link between the miraculous birth and miraculous resurrection of Christ.

RCT 18: The Virgin Birth and "The Chosen"
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#42]
RCT19: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE III : "WHO WAS CONCEIVED BY THE HOLY GHOST, BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY"
   Types and Prophecies of the Conception and Nativity, Lessons which this Article Teaches, Humility And Poverty Of Christ, Elevation And Dignity Of Man

Additional thoughts: Typology.  Daniel 2 and the kingdom that shall not be destroyed.  Reading from Divine Intimacy on the humility of Mary.

RCT 19: The Hidden Mysteries
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#43]
We thank you for ALL of this, Brother, abnk!

BNA
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BeNotAfraid:
We thank you for ALL of this, Brother, abnk!

BNA
View Quote

Thank you, brother BNA.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:36:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: abnk] [#45]
RCT20: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE IV : "Suffered Under Pontius Pilate, Was Crucified, Dead, And Buried"
  Importance Of This Article, First Part of this Article: "Suffered Under Pontius Pilate, was Crucified," "Suffered," "Under Pontius Pilate", "Was Crucified"

Additional thoughts: God's love for us.  Heresy of Docetism.  Jesus refuses to dull his pain.  Martyrdom is a gift from God.  Reading and memorizing Holy Scripture.  Memorize 1 Peter 2:24.

RCT 20: “Suffered Under Pontius Pilate.”
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#46]
RCT21: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE IV : "Suffered Under Pontius Pilate, Was Crucified, Dead, And Buried"
  Importance Of The History Of The Passion, Figures And Prophecies Of The Passion And Death Of The Saviour, "Dead, And Buried," Christ Really Died, Christ Died Freely, The Thought Of Christ's Death Should Excite Our Love And Gratitude, Christ Was Really Buried, Circumstances Of Christ’s Burial

Additional thoughts: The centrality of Christ on the Cross.  We are wholly undeserving of His sacrifice. which should fuel our gratitude.

Link Posted: 10/9/2023 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#47]
RCT22: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE IV : "Suffered Under Pontius Pilate, Was Crucified, Dead, And Buried"
  Useful Considerations on the Passion, The Dignity Of The Sufferer, Reasons Why Christ Suffered, Christ Was Delivered Over To Death By The Father And By Himself, The: Bitterness Of Christ's Passion

Additional thoughts: If man had not fallen, would God still have become man?  Our sins compared to the Jews who crucified Our Lord.  The pains of Christ as compared to the pains of the martyrs.

RCT 22: Reasons Why Christ Suffered.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#48]
RCT23: Special edition on the levels of infallibility

Additional thoughts: This is an interlude to the Roman Catechism.  No readings from the catechism, but Father explains the levels of certainty.  The last infallible statement was in 1950.

RCT 23: Special on Levels of Infallibility
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#49]
RCT24: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE IV : "Suffered Under Pontius Pilate, Was Crucified, Dead, And Buried"
  Fruits Of Christ's Passion, Christ’s Passion; A Satisfaction, A Sacrifice, A Redemption An Example; Admonition

Additional thoughts: Grace and natural law.  Communal sin.  Ransom orders: Trinitarians and Mercederians.  Abuse of the Body and Blood of Christ during Communion.  Father recommends St. Alphonsus Liguori's Victory of the Martyrs.

RCT 24: The Effects of Christ's Passion.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#50]
RCT25: Part I: THE CREED - ARTICLE V : "HE DESCENDED INTO HELL, THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN FROM THE DEAD"
  Importance Of This Article, First Part of this Article: "He Descended into Hell", "Hell", Different Abodes Called "Hell", "He Descended", Why He Descended into Hell - To Liberate The Just, To Proclaim His Power

Additional thoughts: Hell vs. Limbo of the Fathers and the error of von Balthasar.  Gehenna, Purgatory, Limbo of the Fathers, and Limbo of the Children.

RCT 25: He Descended Into Hell.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
The Roman Catechism (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top