Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Tbills, which you can buy in a Roth, and/or ETH.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By STJ:
BTC
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't spend my year giving the feds a 10K interest free loan.  If you are suddenly interested in getting a return on that money, your priorities are misplaced.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Send it to Fidelity it’ll earn 5% until you feel like buying into the market.
View Quote

Like a fidelity money market?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#6]
How about you stop overpaying your taxes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have any debt pay it off, then put the rest to work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ARs4EVER:
Let me get this straight. You want to take the little they let
you have back, reinvest into something they can still get their
dirty mitts on at a later time.
Whatever, I guess keep feeding that sucking sound.
View Quote

I mean what else do you do?  Cash is going to take a huge inflation hit, the buying power goes down every damn day.

I don’t know what the right answer is?

I’m hoping trump gets back in and the Market goes crazy again but the flip side is biden stays and inflation gets worse.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kanin:
Put it into a money market account.  I use Fidelity.  Incredibly easy to transfer money back and forth between that and your bank account.

Invest at will.  All at once, a little at a time, or some up front and then a little at a time.

I invest in  the S&P 500.  I use both IVV(brokerage) and VOO(IRA)

Invest for the long term.  

Open up a Roth if you don't have one.  Or if you have already maxed out your retirement accounts, open a Health Savings Account.

If you have credit card debt, pay that down first.  

View Quote

Can you open a private health savings account?  Or does it have to be thru your employer ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Firearmsenthusiast:
How about you stop overpaying your taxes.
View Quote

I know I know, had some tough situations last year ended up owning which was a bitch so I was too conservative and swung too far the other way
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Glock4140:

Can you open a private health savings account?  Or does it have to be thru your employer ?
View Quote

I wanted to add to one I had w a former employer, and they were fine w that, but if your employer offers HSA, then I believe it goes in pre-tax.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#13]
If you need the money for some purchase then keep in money market. Otherwise index funds
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Fidelity can automatically puts your cash in money market  if you choose SPAXX which currently 4.97% yield
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JG_Wentworth:

Fidelity can automatically puts your cash in money market  if you choose SPAXX which currently 4.97% yield
View Quote

Damn that’s hard to beat.

What about just buying fidelity 500 or the fidelity nasdaq 100 fund?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

emergency funds are largely retarded.
View Quote

Very much so and the stupid concept was started by dipshits that don't know shit about money.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Send it to Fidelity, put into an Index 500 fund and forget about it.  In ten years it will be close $30K.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends on how old you are. I’m never going to get to retire and my wife is ten years younger than me so my kids will always have her. I’ll never make enough to set my kids up for the future. We can afford their college but that’s  15-18 years from now. I’m probably fucking it off on ammo and cool shit. Maybe put 5k on the principle of my house.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
Buy tools and acquire lacking useful life skills with it.
View Quote

This has replaced much of my buy PMs section of my portfolio.

Since COVID we have really drawn down out expenditures.  Make your earnings go further by lowering your overhead.  

Some examples from my house has been me buying prograde barbershop tools during the COVID nonsense.  I've been around hair salons all my life from my extended family.  I already had a good idea how to do things, YT filled in the rest.  Wife liked my work on the kids so much she dumped her hairdresser for me.  Thats a few extra thousand a year for our family saved, the tools long since paid for themselves.  A bidet cut our TP usage by 2/3 again paying for itself within a year, now we are reaping those savings there too.  The pressure canner saved us cash by paying less than a store bought can, and opened up buying large amounts of food on sale and preserving it by canning it.

Second, both the tools and the skills can make you the indispensable man in your community.  Everyone needs to sleep some time.  If your neighbors know that their survival and comfort is increased by you being well and having what you have to get it done you have a sort of Mad Max insurance policy.  Someone can take the tools, but without the skill the tools have less importance in a disaster.

This part of my "portfolio" makes up about 5% of my annual income and its out performing the S&P500 significantly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GoGo] [#20]
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
If you have any debt pay it off, then put the rest to work.
View Quote
Probably the best advice so far, however, the question has not been asked- what do you wish to do with this money?  Your expectations and financial situation dictate where it should go.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Jeffg:

Very much so and the stupid concept was started by dipshits that don't know shit about money.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jeffg:

says people who never had an emergency
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Sure have a couple grand extra hanging out but if you have an emergency just put it on a credit card and get your cash back.
If you really need to you can pull money out of your brokerage easy enough. The likelihood that we have such a huge market crash that your vanilla sp500 index fund tanks too hard to pay for a new water heater or ac or something is so small as to not even be relevant.

Granted if you really think the market is inflated right now it could be a good idea to hold the money in your money market/cash settlement fund which would get about the same 5% but you could also go ahead and set some limit orders for whatever you think the market will drop to. in essence getting both.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
If you’ve got a comfortable emergency fund set up then invest it. If your emergency fund is lacking then put it in savings. Or, ignore what I said and put it towards hookers and blow.

Sure have a couple grand extra hanging out but if you have an emergency just put it on a credit card and get your cash back.
If you really need to you can pull money out of your brokerage easy enough. The likelihood that we have such a huge market crash that your vanilla sp500 index fund tanks too hard to pay for a new water heater or ac or something is so small as to not even be relevant.

Granted if you really think the market is inflated right now it could be a good idea to hold the money in your money market/cash settlement fund which would get about the same 5% but you could also go ahead and set some limit orders for whatever you think the market will drop to. in essence getting both.

NOT having an emergency fund, to cover loss of income due to loss of employment, is retarded.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

NOT having an emergency fund, to cover loss of income due to loss of employment, is retarded.
View Quote

Seems like you should have something right ?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#24]
It's really difficult to answer such questions without knowing about the individual's situation, age, station in life, etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Give it all to the Trump campaign
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#26]
1. Pay off all toxic debt (credit cards, high interest rates).
2. NEVER carry a balance on a credit card month to month.  This is called "paying the stupid tax".
3. Build an emergency fund of 6-12 months of *expenses* and keep it liquid, such as in a High Yield Savings Account (HYSA) or Money Market Fund (MMF)
4. Contribute to your 401k up to the company match maximum.
5. Contribute to an HSA if offered up to the maximum allowed.
6. If your 401k plan allows, contribute to a Mega Backdoor Roth. https://thecollegeinvestor.com/17561/understanding-the-mega-backdoor-roth-ira
7. If you do not have access to a Mega Backdoor Roth through your 401k, contribute to a ROTH IRA (unless income ineligible, then use Backdoor Roth IRA method. https://thecollegeinvestor.com/38006/how-to-do-a-backdoor-roth-ira  
8. Go back and finish contributing to the 401k plan, up to the maximum limit ($23,000 in 2024).
9. If offered a Company Stock plan (ESPP/ESOP) that gives you shares at a discount, AND you can sell immediately upon stock purchase, contribute the maximum amount to this program and sell each time.  You should participate in this regardless of any choices or order of operations above.  This runs in parallel to everything else.
10. Open a taxable brokerage account and begin investing here, and/or real estate, and/or side business.
11. Consider funding children's college in 529 plans or taxable brokerage account, or other state advantaged options.
12. Limit the amount of vehicle debt you carry, as vehicles can be one of the biggest barriers to building wealth as people believe they derive "happiness" from getting new vehicles often.

Invest all of these in a low fee Total US Equities Market index fund (if offered) or an S&P500 index fund, to start.  
DONT TOUCH it.  Just be steady and don't change, be careful who you listen to, and don't make emotion based moves into cash because what you just "know", likely is not so.

Recommended reading:
https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Path-Wealth-financial-independence/dp/1533667926
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1119847672?tag=arfcom00-20
https://www.amazon.com/Richest-Man-Babylon-Original-Classics/dp/B0C1J5ML66
https://www.amazon.com/The-Millionaire-Next-Door-audiobook/dp/B0000547HR

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By midcap:

says people who never had an emergency
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top