Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 7:41:29 AM EDT
Looking at a 3500 SQ ft house.

It has old radiator baseboard heat. Built in 1962.

They recently replaced the boiler with a natural gas on demand heater.  Brand is Rinnai.

Will this heat the house adequately? Can they run 24-7 nonstop ?

From what I googled it seems they are ok for radiant heat in floor, but not so much for whole house baseboard radiators.

Opinions, experiences, etc?

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a lot of info.  Here is the only picture I have.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:07:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nophun] [#4]
It should work. If it does, that's pretty smart.

Closed system, should flow less actual water than having the shower on and the
water never gets cooler than room temperature.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Not enough info.  

Honestly, on an old system like that a lot is going to depend on how it's plumbed/zoned/pumped and controlled.
View Quote

More importantly is how much heat does the structure lose. Poor insulation, drafty windows, etc.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Duty cycle on the tankless is probably going to give it a premature death.  And that is after the question of if it is up to the water temperature required by the amount of baseboard for the climate the house is in.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a similar set up at my house, but it’s a Triangle Tube combination condensing boiler that runs on propane. Works great… when it works, just have to clean out the firebox every two years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Wall hung boilers will work great as long as they are sized correctly for the home and amount of baseboard.  They also have to be installed correctly according to manufacturer specs and good install practices.  I've seen a few not piped correctly.  They also must be programmed for the home.  If used with the outdoor sensor and the outdoor reset is programmed, it can be very efficient.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Having a dedicated unit is what my plumber bud said he recommends.

If there is a leak, you still can take showers and stuff.

Sized right, it wouldn't matter.

Tankless systems can save big $$$ in the long run and ate far easier to service.

Yes, I am fucking jealous of tankless owners.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PNFLDS:

More importantly is how much heat does the structure lose. Poor insulation, drafty windows, etc.
View Quote

This and how cold is your winter?  My BIL has one, loves it.  Good quality water?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Aren't hydronic baseboards usually running at 180 degrees? And tankless water heaters max out at 120, or 140 if you turn off the consumer safety.

Is there a second water heater for the domestic hot water, or is that serving both?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds good, I had never seen this before.

I am a bit concerned about the entire system,along with electrical system and plumbing being over 60 years old.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Kharn:
Aren't hydronic baseboards usually running at 180 degrees? And tankless water heaters max out at 120, or 140 if you turn off the consumer safety.

Is there a second water heater for the domestic hot water, or is that serving both?

Kharn
View Quote

My unit has two heat exchangers, one for heating and one for hot water. Also there is an outside temp sensor, so the unit will adjust temps for efficiency. The heating loop will get up to 180s in winters, but is current around 105 right now with outside temps being in the 50s.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By vatopa:
Sounds good, I had never seen this before.

I am a bit concerned about the entire system,along with electrical system and plumbing being over 60 years old.
View Quote

Then walk away, you'll find another.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

Then walk away, you'll find another.

Kharn
View Quote

I am really buying the property for the land.  But this house "might" be renovated.  But probable torn down and replaced
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:48:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firearmsenthusiast] [#17]
If set up for heating they do work well. They are much less tolerant of poor water quality and a traditional gas fired boiler and they may not have the long service life that most residential hot water units have but they will work just fine if properly installed. Certianly very space efficent compared to a traditional unit. I have a neighbor with a similar set up. Smaller house that also has electric baseboard as well. It gets pretty damn cold here and he doesn't seem to have any problems with it.

I lived in a house with hot water heat when I was younger and I will say if you suffer from allergies or respiratory issues it is much better than forced air.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:49:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#18]
Originally Posted By vatopa:

I am really buying the property for the land.  But this house "might" be renovated.  But probable torn down and replaced
View Quote

In that case I would consider natural gas space heating units...whether a central forced air system, or smaller units (mini-splits?).

I would also go with a tanked natural gas water heater or the premium tanked deluxe hot water heater.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top