Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2024 9:23:41 PM EDT
I need to install some lighting in a shop. It’s about 1200sqft and I’d like to hard wire them in on one side and link the rest of them in. Obviously, I am looking for advice so if my scenario is not good/dumb feel free to let me know. Any suggestions? I’m not looking to spend $100 on each fixture, also LED would be nice. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't buy residential grade 4' "shop" lights from HD/Lowes/HF/Sams Club/Walmart etc.

Buy commercial grade stuff like this:     https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CLFBVJM7/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A1W6WA57S8PZ0P&th=1

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
1,200 sq ft is going to take a lot of likable light if that is the route your wanting to take.   Personally i think they look like crap but yea can be installed by most anyone and cost is typically ok.

If you have any height to speak of my go to recommendation would be 6 Hyperlite UFOs.   I've installed 1,000s of the hero series.  That one with added reflector would be awesome.   For less money you could get the saturn series with or without reflector pre-installed.   That would get you as low as $45 each
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:15:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
Harbor Freight Linkable LED Shop Light
View Quote
FPNI
My entire new 36x24 shop is 5500 lumen lights like this from Runnings.    Linkable, so very easy wiring; just run one lead from breaker, then string a bunch of them together.
I have 2 strips of them 8' apart, running the entire 36' length in 2 circuits.   You can string up to 8 of these together.
Very bright, been in several years, with no issues.   Quick and easy to install.   I like the looks of these better than the HF ones, but 5500 lumens should be 5500 lumens.

https://www.runnings.com/shop-light-led-5500-lumen-4ft-link-9496259.html
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Don't buy residential grade 4' "shop" lights from HD/Lowes/HF/Sams Club/Walmart etc.
Buy commercial grade stuff like this:     https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CLFBVJM7/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A1W6WA57S8PZ0P&th=1
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71IF2GNj6pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

View Quote
Those are 15,620 lumens but I think are not useful unless high ceilings.    They also say "high bay".    So if you have 15+ foot ceilings, a few of these might be a good idea.   If standard 8' ceilings, IMIHO you'd going to be a lot better off with more of the 4' ones.   I also think that more 4' will give you more usable light (coming from multiple directions) than fewer big ones like these.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tyromeo55:
1,200 sq ft is going to take a lot of likable light if that is the route your wanting to take.   Personally i think they look like crap but yea can be installed by most anyone and cost is typically ok.

If you have any height to speak of my go to recommendation would be 6 Hyperlite UFOs.   I've installed 1,000s of the hero series.  That one with added reflector would be awesome.   For less money you could get the saturn series with or without reflector pre-installed.   That would get you as low as $45 each
View Quote

Ceilings are about 10 feet high. Now I am not familiar with picking out lightning but wouldn’t something round like that be more of a spot light or does it spread nicely?
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#7]
A grid of boxes with keyless lamp holders. Fill out with combination of deformable LEDs panels and standard LED bulbs as needed. Cheap easy versatile.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
Those are 15,620 lumens but I think are not useful unless high ceilings.    They also say "high bay".    So if you have 15+ foot ceilings, a few of these might be a good idea.   If standard 8' ceilings, IMIHO you'd going to be a lot better off with more of the 4' ones.   I also think that more 4' will give you more usable light (coming from multiple directions) than fewer big ones like these.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jodan1776:
Originally Posted By Merlin:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71IF2GNj6pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My shop has a high ceiling, but the bottom of the rafter's bring it down to about 14' where the lights are mounted.  These lights work far better than the POS SC/Honeywell "shop" lights.  I bought about 14 of them years ago, mostly because everyone raved about them.  

Seven of them have failed since then.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:56:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jerrmy] [#9]
I used these

30x30 shop with 12' walls. Trusses are 5' apart and I put 3 on most of them and 4 where there isnt a built in room. Probably could stand a couple more now that my shop is full of stuff but they've been great and were cheap

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:58:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyromeo55] [#10]
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:

Ceilings are about 10 feet high. Now I am not familiar with picking out lightning but wouldn’t something round like that be more of a spot light or does it spread nicely?
View All Quotes

Nope you'd have to look at the spec sheet to see what the beam angle is.   A lot more to it then that but its a good general rule of thumb.   100W Saturn series Hyperlite ($45 each w/o reflector and $75 with) is rated at 14,000 lumens and 120 degree beam angle.   With the reflector its 240 degrees.     I will say 10' ceiling height is the lowest i'd want these things and the reflector would be a must IMHO. also. don't go brighter at that height.   If you wan to go that route you can send them the dimensions for your shop and they can draw up a graphed recommendation.  

As an electrician who would have to charge for material and labor they are really hard to beat for a total package cost.

Here is link to a picture of a 1,1,00 sq ft shop.   Lights are about 13' + up so we could go with 150W.   you would think the shutter speed would tone down the photo seeing how bright the lights are but the reflector does a well enough job spreading it out and getting it to the floor so they are not really "hot" enough to mess with the picture (or your eyes)

https://share.icloud.com/photos/034CDSkCOqrF__njx_Lj1fWFw
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:23:39 AM EDT
[#11]
That does look really nice and lights it up a bunch. I could mount the lights higher but the truss will probably cast a shadow. So 10’ is probably the highest I could go. I could probably do 2 per truss (2 per 30’ width) and that would come out 8 total
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 12:26:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#12]
For your reading enjoyment:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/the-best-light-fixture-ever.278420/

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/light-fixture-layout-collections.289441/

BTW, the OP of both of those threads is the LimaXray/Foxtrot08-equivalent SME on lighting on GJ.  Unfortunately, he has not posted since Oct. '23.    One of his recommendations is to have larger numbers of smaller lights vs. a few very large lights.  The fewer lights will cast shadows vs. having more lights.  I found this true when I replaced my four 400 watt halogen lights with a combination of 4' "shop" lights plus several of the commercial lights I linked to above.  Far more light with far less shadowing effect.  My shop is 36' by 70'.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Nope you'd have to look at the spec sheet to see what the beam angle is.   A lot more to it then that but its a good general rule of thumb.   100W Saturn series Hyperlite ($45 each w/o reflector and $75 with) is rated at 14,000 lumens and 120 degree beam angle.   With the reflector its 240 degrees.     I will say 10' ceiling height is the lowest i'd want these things and the reflector would be a must IMHO. also. don't go brighter at that height.   If you wan to go that route you can send them the dimensions for your shop and they can draw up a graphed recommendation.  

As an electrician who would have to charge for material and labor they are really hard to beat for a total package cost.

Here is link to a picture of a 1,1,00 sq ft shop.   Lights are about 13' + up so we could go with 150W.   you would think the shutter speed would tone down the photo seeing how bright the lights are but the reflector does a well enough job spreading it out and getting it to the floor so they are not really "hot" enough to mess with the picture (or your eyes)

https://share.icloud.com/photos/034CDSkCOqrF__njx_Lj1fWFw
View Quote

I reached out to them and they suggested 6 halo lights at 100w. That would be $140 per light with the reflector. I found they had a 1200lumen (vs the 1400lumen halo) options with reflector for $60. Not sure how that would work compared to what they suggested.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]

I reached out to them and they suggested 6 halo lights at 100w. That would be $140 per light with the reflector. I found they had a 1200lumen (vs the 1400lumen halo) options with reflector for $60. Not sure how that would work compared to what they suggested.
View Quote

Yea.  8 sounded like a lot of light for 1,200 sq ft.     Halo?  You mean HERO series?   That is my go to light for commercial installs but I've had also really good luck with the cheaper (by half) SATURN series lights as long as you get the ones with the reflector, are good with 120V only, not dimmable  and lower CRI.     if you go hero keep in mind that the milky reflector is going to scatter light better but stand out in your upper peripheral vision more.    

Speaking of using a higher qty of lights another member mentioned.  That can really be true especially the lower a light is mounted.   A reflector will help a lot in this matter no matter what light you choose.   personally i don like the look (or real estate) a lot of linear strips take up.  Its the way things were done for many decades because the alternative to get a lot of light was something HID.  Now that LED is de-facto we have so many more options.    From an electricians perspective its a harder sell. your material is overall higher and they take a lot more labor to install ($$)

I cant say the 100W UFO is going to be the best for your shop.  I can say its is going to be hard to beat for the cost to buy and install.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:45:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I have these. They are bright and super simple to mount, 2 screws and you are done.

I have had them 4 years and no issues. A co-worker bought 20 of them and no issues except the linking adapter to link the lights right against each other he had issues with bad connections. He thought it was from expansion and contractions from useage. He just changed them to the 3' or so cord that comes in the kit that joins them instead and no issues. Mine are joined with the cord and never an issue.
Amazon Product
  • Daylight White: Barrrina shop light brings your application the best lighting available with an incredible minimum of 130lm/watt (Each light has 9000lm output). Illuminate the dark corners of your space

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jerret_S:
I have these. They are bright and super simple to mount, 2 screws and you are done.

I have had them 4 years and no issues. A co-worker bought 20 of them and no issues except the linking adapter to link the lights right against each other he had issues with bad connections. He thought it was from expansion and contractions from useage. He just changed them to the 3' or so cord that comes in the kit that joins them instead and no issues. Mine are joined with the cord and never an issue.www.amazon.com/dp/B07RKZFD5Z
View Quote
I am on my 2nd set of these in 5 years. Not sure I'd recommend them.  They are bright though. Probably going to have to order another set soon.  Just had two lights shit the bed, so I'll swap in my 2 spares.thev"warranty" is kinda horseshit. They want you to pull the boards and mail them to them on your dime.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:25:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RandyLahey01] [#17]

Yea.  8 sounded like a lot of light for 1,200 sq ft.     Halo?  You mean HERO series?   That is my go to light for commercial installs but I've had also really good luck with the cheaper (by half) SATURN series lights as long as you get the ones with the reflector, are good with 120V only, not dimmable  and lower CRI.     if you go hero keep in mind that the milky reflector is going to scatter light better but stand out in your upper peripheral vision more.    

Speaking of using a higher qty of lights another member mentioned.  That can really be true especially the lower a light is mounted.   A reflector will help a lot in this matter no matter what light you choose.   personally i don like the look (or real estate) a lot of linear strips take up.  Its the way things were done for many decades because the alternative to get a lot of light was something HID.  Now that LED is de-facto we have so many more options.    From an electricians perspective its a harder sell. your material is overall higher and they take a lot more labor to install ($$)

I cant say the 100W UFO is going to be the best for your shop.  I can say its is going to be hard to beat for the cost to buy and install.
View All Quotes

Correct on the model my bad. Good to know about the cheaper ones. Seriously considering these. I just want to be able to see well.

I have had them 4 years and no issues. A co-worker bought 20 of them and no issues except the linking adapter to link the lights right against each other he had issues with bad connections. He thought it was from expansion and contractions from useage. He just changed them to the 3' or so cord that comes in the kit that joins them instead and no issues. Mine are joined with the cord and never an issue.www.amazon.com/dp/B07RKZFD5Z

I had these in my cart for a bit. Everyone seems to like them and they are cheap. I just keep reading about people having them for “3 years” and got the feeling that it’s a bot. You’re the first person that didn’t only have them for “3 years” haha.

What I like about these Amazon ones is they will mount flush to my truss as opposed to the hyperlite that will hang down a bit past the truss. Considering I have 10 foot ceilings, real estate is important
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
Harbor Freight Linkable LED Shop Light
View Quote

I have a bunch of these above workbenches and machines.  Never had one fail, they plug together so multiples can be switched together, and the light is bright white rather than dull incandescent/yellow colors.  

They're a great deal and often on sale.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

These are pretty much the same as I used, lights on the right are hard wired coming from the right, the left lights were plugged in with the included plug in lines.
3 years and also no problems, and they were CHEAP.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I did a 6-pack of Amazon Sunco brand LED plug in, linkable. It's daylihght at night! I went 5000k and would have no problem with 4000k (less white).
Amazon Product
  • Energy Efficient\uff1aPowered by solar energy, no need for grid electricity. This portable solar power shop light illuminates your carport shed camper or wherever you need it, give bright lightting in locations that don't have direct access to electrical power.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#21]
That does look really nice and lights it up a bunch. I could mount the lights higher but the truss will probably cast a shadow. So 10’ is probably the highest I could go. I could probably do 2 per truss (2 per 30’ width) and that would come out 8 total
View Quote

I've got 36 8' lights in a 26x38 shop on four circuits.

Some of the work areas could use dedicated detail lighting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:17:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#22]
I went with UFO style lights in my garage.  5 UFOs put out the same amount of light as like 12-24 linkable LED bar fixtures.
No ragrats.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I installed these in my parents metal building:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TM97LWY

I picked them because they were CHEAP and if one dies they are easy to replace.  $10 per light, $40 in a 4-pack.

A year later they have been perfect.  They are not impressive build quality, as in they feel like cheap plastic - but they light up the shop perfectly.

Always get more light than you think you need.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Ceiling height? Desired foot candles at 3-4’?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
Ceiling height? Desired foot candles at 3-4’?
View Quote

Walls are 10’ and meet the truss at that height.

Desired foot candles? Not a clue. I work on cars and detailed things so I’d like to be able to find a screw without a flashlight (in an uncovered spot of course)
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Correct on the model my bad. Good to know about the cheaper ones. Seriously considering these. I just want to be able to see well.

I had these in my cart for a bit. Everyone seems to like them and they are cheap. I just keep reading about people having them for “3 years” and got the feeling that it’s a bot. You’re the first person that didn’t only have them for “3 years” haha.

What I like about these Amazon ones is they will mount flush to my truss as opposed to the hyperlite that will hang down a bit past the truss. Considering I have 10 foot ceilings, real estate is important
View Quote

I  put a set of these in a room at my church.  The inline connectors sucked and vibrations from hvac caused them to work apart enough to have dead sections.  I had to superglue them together.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#27]
In on this as I need to replace the old shop lights in my so called basement/high crawlspace.
The area is not very big, unfinished, and only has a 6.5' ceiling.
Grandpa just used it to make crappy jigs and store tools, canned goods, etc.
What would you recommend for me?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#28]
With your ceiling heights any of the linkable L.E.D. strip lights will work. I would use 4000-5000K and use 4’ lights 8’ 8”O/C. Install say 6-8 lights and see if it is enough. If not you have room to connect more in between the centers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jerrmy:
I used these

30x30 shop with 12' walls. Trusses are 5' apart and I put 3 on most of them and 4 where there isnt a built in room. Probably could stand a couple more now that my shop is full of stuff but they've been great and were cheap

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58072/1000000276_jpg-3156191.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58072/1000000277_jpg-3156199.JPG
View Quote

@jerrmy

Tell me about that spray insulation. Looks like the kinda work I used to do.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Tras:

@jerrmy

Tell me about that spray insulation. Looks like the kinda work I used to do.
View Quote

It's 2" of closed cell. Paid a guy way too much money for it but man it works great.

It's hard to burn too. I took some chunks he cut off the supports and tried to burn them and they just melted
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I went with 4 of the 150w Heros in my 24x25 shop, mounted about 11' off the floor. Sent Hyperlight the floorplan and they ran the calcs and suggested layout. Love it, and glad I got dimmers and control wiring.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:40:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RandyLahey01] [#32]
Originally Posted By Skinnywater:
I went with 4 of the 150w Heros in my 24x25 shop, mounted about 11' off the floor. Sent Hyperlight the floorplan and they ran the calcs and suggested layout. Love it, and glad I got dimmers and control wiring.
View Quote

@Skinnywater

Sounds like you like them? I was worried about too much of a spotlight effect or being too blinding at that height. Any issues that way?

I did order a pair of the cheaper options of the hyperlight with diffusers for testing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:43:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, I am very happy with them. No issues so far with blinding, but I do not work in the shop after dark, too many skeeters.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I have 9.5 - 10’. Ceilings in my garage. The Amazon lights were so cheap I installed a lot of them.

I’m going on three years with these with no issues.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#35]
@tyromeo55

Do you see any issues with putting the ufo light above the bottom of the trusses? If I were to mount them at 12 feet from the floor on the ceiling purlins but the bottom of the trusses are at 10 feet. I’d imagine that would cast shadows but if I put enough up would it be a problem?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Would it be better to get a fixture that you can buy new bulbs for if they go out, or just buy cheap one piece units and chunk the whole thing for a new one?
I don't have any LED's, so I don't know how long they last.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:14:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RandyLahey01] [#37]
Originally Posted By nsl:
Would it be better to get a fixture that you can buy new bulbs for if they go out, or just buy cheap one piece units and chunk the whole thing for a new one?
View Quote

I was worried about that until I did the math. Most of these lights have at least 30k hours of life. If you left them on 8 hours a day (which you won’t) it would take a little over 10 years for the light to go out (if you believe their 30k hour claim). Now I might have them on 20 hours a week max, that’s a looong life haha
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#38]
@tyromeo55

Do you see any issues with putting the ufo light above the bottom of the trusses? If I were to mount them at 12 feet from the floor on the ceiling purlins but the bottom of the trusses are at 10 feet. I’d imagine that would cast shadows but if I put enough up would it be a problem?
View Quote

Never installed one that way. The idea is to get as many lumens on the ground as possible.  1st as direct and far 2nd as indirect.  You'd be defeating the whole reason to go with the ufo option which is bang for the buck/hassle.  In the picture I provided we span the top of 2 trusses with a 2x4 (strut would be good too).   that method  inset the lights the thickness of the truss member (3.5" in that case).  The Hero's reflector is much taller then the integrated Saturn series I pointed you to.  The Saturn are at 6+ ish inches tall with the hook so you shouldn't be hanging too low if installed similarly.

if your putting up a couple as a sample be advised that it wont be nearly as bright in any place as when all 6 are installed.  For what your doing they will throw a lot overlapped light.

make sure to post a picture no matter what route end up with
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

A proper answer to this question could be pages long.  Many times more if you add all the argue and opinions.  In the end ...  there are no bad choices as long as it works for you.  I'm coming from a place where i have to sell a customer on a solution that they can afford, are happy with when I'm gone, and can stand behind / put my name behind.

my off the cuff thoughts...

As an existing install a retrofit bulb could be an very acceptable solution.   Low cost, ease of deployment, gains typically more light that fades little over time (florescent lamps loose a lot of lumens over their lifetime and a customer is going to be reluctant letting me re-lamp an entire shop when only a few no-longer work).

For a new install, i wouldn't want to do it that way.  lots of fixtures are typically needed so your not going to see a better installation cost (especially if you hire it out).  led anything really needs proper cooling to last and engineered for proper light spread.   good lamps are not cheap and cheap lamps generally produce crummy light and become unavailable quickly so buy spares if matching light really bothers you.

Good led fixtures typically have good warranties because they overall last a long really time.  good ones are driven in CC mode so they automatically correct for lumens as they wear over time.  when thy do go bad it almost never (under normal wear) the leds.  its a driver that is replaceable.  fewer lights can fill a space with light so install labor is a lot more attractive.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Never installed one that way. The idea is to get as many lumens on the ground as possible.  1st as direct and far 2nd as indirect.  You'd be defeating the whole reason to go with the ufo option which is bang for the buck/hassle.  In the picture I provided we span the top of 2 trusses with a 2x4 (strut would be good too).   that method  inset the lights the thickness of the truss member (3.5" in that case).  The Hero's reflector is much taller then the integrated Saturn series I pointed you to.  The Saturn are at 6+ ish inches tall with the hook so you shouldn't be hanging too low if installed similarly.

if your putting up a couple as a sample be advised that it wont be nearly as bright in any place as when all 6 are installed.  For what your doing they will throw a lot overlapped light.

make sure to post a picture no matter what route end up with
View Quote

Thank you for the help and advice. I truly appreciate it. I got the lights in and tried them both out (8 footer from Amazon and the hyperlite Saturns). I know you said testing one or two Saturns wouldn’t give the right experience that having all six would do but I did put one up for now. One thing I liked about the long 8 Amazon light, the light reached the walls better and made looking at my shelf easier. I don’t like looking anywhere near the light though because of al the little dot LEDs. Frosted covers would have been better. The UFO light was bright but didn’t reach the walls as much as the Amazon lights. It felt like the Amazon lights had more reach to the sides than the 1 UFO. I didn’t take any pictures because the place is a mess and my phone was inside charging. I’ll try to grab a picture this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#41]
The milky hero reflectors would do a better job but they cost a lot more after its all said n done and they would hang down about double  If your leaning towards the amazon linear light then Im thinking you found a winner.      Out of curiosity,  how far from each wall did you install the saturn?  did you get it tucked up in the trusses or let it hang down?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:06:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RandyLahey01] [#42]
The milky hero reflectors would do a better job but they cost a lot more after its all said n done and they would hang down about double  If your leaning towards the amazon linear light then Im thinking you found a winner.      Out of curiosity,  how far from each wall did you install the saturn?  did you get it tucked up in the trusses or let it hang down?
View Quote

I’m sure they would but that’s started to get out of my budget sadly. So hyperlite said 7.7 width wise but the trusses are 10 feet apart length wise so that puts the front lights 10 feet away from my shelves. I’ll play around with it some more just to be sure I’m not doing something going. I hung the Saturns so that the back of the light was flush with the truss so it protruded below the truss a few inches.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Tried them out again tonight. Although the Saturn is 100w and the Amazon ones were 72w the lighting from the linear is just more usable. I’m sure there are better options for linear but at this price point, I think these will be fine. The UFO styled lights were just too concentrated for 10’ ceilings.

I saw the same maker on Amazon has the same lights but at 100w so I think I will order those to get the same brightness that the ufo had, which I really liked, but more spread out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RandyLahey01] [#45]
At that height I’d probably seriously consider those hyperlite UFO lights that were mentioned. They are meant for higher ceilings and I liked them. I think the Amazon ones won’t be strong enough to be bright at that height. If you go to hyperlite website and contact them, they will send you recommendations along with distances etc. it was nice working with them.

Once you get their suggestion, you can buy them on Amazon and get prime shipping. Mine were even cheaper on Amazon than their website.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#46]

I was worried about that until I did the math. Most of these lights have at least 30k hours of life. If you left them on 8 hours a day (which you won't) it would take a little over 10 years for the light to go out (if you believe their 30k hour claim). Now I might have them on 20 hours a week max, that's a looong life haha
View All Quotes

I was worried about that until I did the math. Most of these lights have at least 30k hours of life. If you left them on 8 hours a day (which you won't) it would take a little over 10 years for the light to go out (if you believe their 30k hour claim). Now I might have them on 20 hours a week max, that's a looong life haha

It doesn't matter how long manufacturers say the lights will last. They don't last that long. I have changed plenty of 1-2 year old LED fixtures that died, and we have changed tons of LED drivers (the power supply) that say 50k hour life that are a few years old. We have also installed hundreds of Satco LED direct wire lamps (4' lamp that goes into fluorescent strip fixtures where you wire 120v directly to the sockets and cut out the ballast), and haven't had hardly a problem with any of them. If it were me, I would get LED ready 4' strip fixtures, install LED t8 tubes, and call it a day. When a lamp dies, you change the lamp instead of having to throw away and replace a whole fixture, or if its a higher quality one, rip it apart, find a driver that fits and meets the specs, and then replace it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#47]
Installed two of the Green Light Depot 110 watt 15,620 lumen lights to replace the burnt out Sams Club/Honeywell "shop" lights.  You can see one of the failed lights in this pic:

I also threw away two 8's fluorescent light fixtures that had burnt out.  I have replacement bulbs but new bulbs didn't work; so out they went.  I still have fluor fixture that still works, so I'll let it be until it fails, then out it goes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#48]
What does everyone think of the LED bulbs/fixtures that have 4 or 5 "petals" that can be adjusted and just screw into a socket?
I'm thinking about doing this and be done with it as my workspace ceiling is only about 6' 5".
Need something that projects in all directions instead of down like most shop lights.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:27:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slingblade2006] [#49]
What does everyone think of the LED bulbs/fixtures that have 4 or 5 "petals" that can be adjusted and just screw into a socket?
I'm thinking about doing this and be done with it as my workspace ceiling is only about 6' 5".
Need something that projects in all directions instead of down like most shop lights.
View Quote

I put four of the 4 petal LED bulbs in my mom's basement.  She only had three fixtures each with a 40-Watt bulb (one was always burned out).  It was a dungeon down there before I installed a fourth light fixture and installed the LED bulbs.  It's been over 2 years and they have worked great.  I think her basement is around 7 1/2 feet tall.
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top