BCM
User Panel

Subaru WRX (new gen) (Page 3 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 7:32:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ayada:

Souped up econo car owners calling out the other brands souped up econo car because of the badge is a tradition as old as the WRX getting cheap enough for 20 year olds with bad credit to afford a clapped out used one.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ayada:
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

Holy Shit! Does this mean the Initial D thing is played out!? Can I score a Silver or Black top cheap? I'm stoked! 20v FTW!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1332_jpeg-3160300.JPG

Or one of these firesaled? Anyone has a Corolla WRC they're looking to unload ez, PM me

But I feel ya bro, the Corolla GR has a distinct Corolla FX16 Vibe. Unlike the FX16, it's got the goods, but I remain salty. Still there's been a few sub 3:00 min VIR runs and peeps are hitting the Esses past 120. Serious work.  But that's the $50k+ trim, but it's doing shit that's $25k more ain't. On gravel

Yaris tho. . . Lot of chatter about what a dumb move given its bottom feeder nameplate. But I understand the marketing tie in for Europe, and the production reqs for homologation. Which is the attraction for me - it's a full on Rally Special,  built to ensure the competition units have all the advantages baked in. The factory is special (and where the Corolla GR get assembled as well) , the effort is massive, the results impressive. But I get you hafta be a rally nerd to love it - and that's why it's not in the States. Regardless new S. Ogier edition is the hawtness - I'm very interested in seeing how his tuning the the system for rear wheel bias works. I'd be down for a Kalle ride too

Subie USA is doing good things with Vermont Sports Car. VT22r and now VT23r for ARA open. But fuck Akio, let loose the purse strings and let your Subie guys do what Subie should be doing, at the pinnacle. Sure financial realities means Gazoo gets all the limited cheddar. Subie put themselves in the position to get bought. But we'd all be better of with another serious mfg with a top level WRC works program. Take some of that Woven Planet dinero and make Subie a Rally name again. WRX, STi, Impreza. . .555 . . .556 Whatever it takes

Souped up econo car owners calling out the other brands souped up econo car because of the badge is a tradition as old as the WRX getting cheap enough for 20 year olds with bad credit to afford a clapped out used one.  

Attachment Attached File

Not unfair.

I tend to be happier when there's a large pool of high competency models, focused on performance, at a price that will interest people, especially young people, in Motorsports and Performance driving. The trend is waning with Sti, Ford Focus RS, and more proletarian models like Fiesta/Focus ST, evaporating.

I have my favorites, and tend towards specifics use assessment, but that's preference - I don't find any reprehensible. I try not to dig

Tho some are just more special than others, none are bad.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
For you guys with a 2022-23 WRX, there is an update out that does a number of things, but also provides full screen to Android Auto. You have to update your software from a USB stick.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File
New grill

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered a TR Saturday. Let’s see how long this takes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a 2016 manual, quick but unexciting. Wish they'd kept the hatch as now it looks like every other car on the road.
Takes premium if mpg worries you pricewise. Interior doesn't seem to interest Subaru, my interior was old and boring. As said the tires grip like your first virgin, you'll want snow tires if you get snow.
Variety of injuries made me decide my manual days are past which really sucks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Nice, that is on my short list.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Picked up a '23 Limited 6mt.

Lift, wheels and tires go on Friday after work.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:25:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#8]
Originally Posted By TripleC:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169050/WRX22524_jpg-3180897.JPGNew grill

I really like the blue!

View Quote

Originally Posted By Cobra-Commander:
Ordered a TR Saturday. Let’s see how long this takes.
View Quote

That's the hot set-up. I hope you post about it, once you have it.

Originally Posted By spud:
Picked up a '23 Limited 6mt.

Lift, wheels and tires go on Friday after work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256099/1000003749_jpg-3182357.JPG
View Quote

Lift? What are your plans for the car?

I also have a '23 Limited, but the 5.4" (5.5?) of ground clearance are enough for me. Mine is intended to stay on the street.

I hope to blend in, to avoid... Imperial entanglements.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:27:56 PM EDT
[#9]
How much money a month do you spend on vapes ?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Avoid eyesight unless mommy mobile. Our Ascent bitches about everything with it on.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

Lift? What are your plans for the car?
View Quote

LP Adventure 2" spacer for now. Proper coil-overs later.

Plans? Dirt/blm/fs roads mostly.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Ordered a TR Saturday. Let's see how long this takes.
View Quote
Can't wait to see pics!
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#13]
‘22 Premium 6MT. I have about 32,000 miles on mine. Just put new all season tires on it. The original summer tires were the stickiest tires I have ever driven. The new tires aren’t as fun, but the car still handles like it’s on rails. Long trips I can get about 32MPG. Fun engine, good brakes and really good visibility especially compared to my dad’s C8 or my wife’s Audi S5. It’s the most fun car I have ever driven.

I bought it as a fun car that I could teach my kids how to drive a manual. My 16 year old daughter drives it like a banshee and my 13 year old son loves it when I let him drive around under construction neighborhoods that are paved but no houses built yet. He played driving simulators of manual transmissions and honestly picked it up without stalling the first time he drove it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RayFromJersey:
Can't wait to see pics!
View Quote

Yeah, the wait is going to kill me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Yeah, the wait is going to kill me.
View Quote

Is there an estimated time of arrival?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Center display/panel is fucking ghey

Toyota obviously had a hand in its design.

Seriously, tone it the fuck down.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought they were ok for a minute there, but then you keep posting pictures

barf
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Ordered a TR Saturday. Let's see how long this takes.
View Quote

Review of TR

2024 WRX TR Review // Spoiler: Its amazing

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Review of TR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9_kVmzAa84
View Quote

The larger brakes are nice, but I don't think I would want my suspension any stiffer than it already is.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#20]

The larger brakes are nice, but I don't think I would want my suspension any stiffer than it already is.
View All Quotes

Review of TR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9_kVmzAa84

Switch to smaller wheels to get more rubber for daily driving. I love my 17's (not sure if you can fit 17's on the big brakes though).
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:19:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#21]
Switch to smaller wheels to get more rubber for daily driving. I love my 17's (not sure if you can fit 17's on the big brakes though).
View Quote

+1 I bought 17s set up with tpms and all season tires for winter. The ride is so much better than the 18s, I immediately put the stock wheels and tires up for sale. No way would I be putting them back on the car.

ETA: I think some 17s will clear Brembos and some won't. Not sure though. Mine is a VA.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:42:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brahmzy] [#22]
Ugliest WRX to date.  And I'm a prior many-WRX & STi owned, owner.  Cannot stand the design direction Subaru took with this one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By topgunshooter:
Mine is tuned on e85 and i love to show scatpacks the tune. They don't love it as much as I do.
View Quote

What about 5.0s?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

Lift and ATs make it look proper. Makes the cladding not look weird.

Rear sway bar removed and front disconnected makes it outstanding on the dirt.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

To be clear, I have a regular VB, not a TR, so I do not have the big brakes of the TR.

Originally Posted By eric496:

+1 I bought 17s set up with tpms and all season tires for winter. The ride is so much better than the 18s, I immediately put the stock wheels and tires up for sale. No way would I be putting them back on the car.

ETA: I think some 17s will clear Brembos and some won't. Not sure though. Mine is a VA.
View Quote

You had 18s on a WRX? What year, and were the tires the OEM summer tires?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:26:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FerrousDueler] [#26]
Have you seen one in person? Much less awkward and gawky looking than previous generations. People are doing some silly shit to them, though, that makes them shitty and silly looking (big wang, back bumper aero bits, ugly wheels, and generally add-ons and don't know when to quit.)

Originally Posted By Brahmzy:
Ugliest WRX to date.  And I'm a prior many-WRX & STi owned, owner.  Cannot stand the design direction Subaru took with this one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FerrousDueler:
Have you seen one in person? Much less awkward and gawky looking than previous generations. People are doing some silly shit to them, though, that makes them shitty and silly looking (big wang, back bumper aero bits, ugly wheels, and generally add-ons and don't know when to quit.)

View Quote

Yes - they're all over the place here and they're horrendous.  What on earth happened to the rear bumper.  Almost like a prolapsed rectum or something.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:

Yes - they're all over the place here and they're horrendous.  What on earth happened to the rear bumper.  Almost like a prolapsed rectum or something.
View Quote
The black plastic cladding on all new
Subarus looks like ass. The Impreza isn't bad, the Crosstrek and Forester are worse, the WRX and Outback are awful, and the Legacy looks like absolute shit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:52:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spud] [#29]
I don't know, the cladding is there to protect-ish from wilderness related damage. Looks odd in city traffic, I'll give ya that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#30]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256099/1000003854_png-3206947.JPG

Lift and ATs make it look proper. Makes the cladding not look weird.

Rear sway bar removed and front disconnected makes it outstanding on the dirt.
View Quote
Spacer, or all new coilovers?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spud] [#31]
Spacer for now, coil overs later.

Not bad at all as it sits though. Skid plate is a must.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know, the cladding is there to protrct-ish from wilderness related damage. Looks odd in city traffic, I'll give ya that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/256099/1000003855_jpg-3207389.JPG
View Quote
Looks dumb as fuck on a Legacy.  I get the purpose, but there's still too much of it on most of the other cars (and all wilderness editions).  
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:
Why not a Golf R or GTI???

View Quote

My wife won’t let me…
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Spacer for now, coil overs later.

Not bad at all as it sits though. Skid plate is a must.
View Quote
It definitely looks better.  Idk why Subaru doesn't at least have a "rally" edition with a bit more clearance and some (Oz, or sparco, at least) rally-ish wheels.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Deadtired:
Looks dumb as fuck on a Legacy.  I get the purpose, but there's still too much of it on most of the other cars (and all wilderness editions).  
View Quote

110%

They went too far and need to back off a bit.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:08:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: foggy] [#36]
I have a 2023 with 5k miles. It's not that fast (especially compared to previous gen STI), 23mpg average is meh, user interface/android auto sucks, the turn signal really sucks, poor lumbar support, speakers are wimpy, won't let you shut off the engine until the car is at a complete stop.

Also, the engine decelerates slowly so you have to shift and wait if you want to match revs.

I don't know if I would buy one again, but I needed a car in a hurry and wanted a manual.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#37]
On that note, imma watch Colin McRae and Carlos Sainz's dad race in blue Imprezas.

1995 Network Q RAC Rally (day one, live stage)

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#38]

To be clear, I have a regular VB, not a TR, so I do not have the big brakes of the TR.

You had 18s on a WRX? What year, and were the tires the OEM summer tires?
View Quote

My 2017 Premium came with 18s. Limiteds and STIs did too. Base WRXs came with 17s. Yes, they were the stock summer tires. Dunlop Sport Maxx, IIRC.

I bought a set of 17" Method wheels with TPMS and Conti DWS06s from a guy who had just bought a new STI, set it up the way he wanted, then found out his wife was pregnant so he sold everything. LOL. It rides so much better with the 17s. Good riddance to the 18s.

FWIW, I then went to Michelin AS4s and didn't like them as much. Cost me 1 or 2 mpg too. I put a set of DWS06 Plus tires on a couple months ago and like them so far. I'm not tracking it or pushing it so hard that I need performance summer tires on it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd look hard at the GR Corolla
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By The_Beaten_Weiner:
View Quote

Almost 19k on my GRC..

Love this thing
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#41]

My 2017 Premium came with 18s. Limiteds and STIs did too. Base WRXs came with 17s. Yes, they were the stock summer tires. Dunlop Sport Maxx, IIRC.

I bought a set of 17" Method wheels with TPMS and Conti DWS06s from a guy who had just bought a new STI, set it up the way he wanted, then found out his wife was pregnant so he sold everything. LOL. It rides so much better with the 17s. Good riddance to the 18s.

FWIW, I then went to Michelin AS4s and didn't like them as much. Cost me 1 or 2 mpg too. I put a set of DWS06 Plus tires on a couple months ago and like them so far. I'm not tracking it or pushing it so hard that I need performance summer tires on it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/182397/wrx-tire-sizes_jpg-3207517.JPG

View Quote

My 2023 Limited came with 18" wheels and Dunlop summer tires. I bought the car in February (in New England) so immediately swapped out the summers for Michelin PS4 AS tires. I have seen disparaging comments about the Dunlop summer tire ride quality, but didn't have mine on long enough to really form an opinion.

What is the exact size of your Contis? 235/45-17? I want to compute the sidewall height and see how that compares with mine. I have read good things about those DWS06 tires.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#42]
What is the exact size of your Contis? 235/45-17? I want to compute the sidewall height and see how that compares with mine. I have read good things about those DWS06 tires.
View Quote

I'm running 245/45zr17 on mine. Diameter is the same as the stock 18s so no speedo error. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#43]

I'm running 245/45zr17 on mine. Diameter is the same as the stock 18s so no speedo error. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/182397/1000023234_jpg-3207617.JPG
View Quote

Interesting. That is the same site I was going to use to compare them.

So, you are finding that 0.4" more sidewall improves ride quality significantly or is that not the reason?

If I follow your progression correctly, it was:

18" with Dunlop summer tires
17" with Conti DWS06
17" with Michelin AS4 (if this is the Pilot Sport All season 4, it is what I currently have on my car in 18")
17" with Conti DWS06

When you went to the Contis you changed 2 variables - wheel size and tire type.

You didn't happen to ever run your 18s with an all season like the DWS06, did you?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:34:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#44]

Interesting. That is the same site I was going to use to compare them.

So, you are finding that 0.4" more sidewall improves ride quality significantly or is that not the reason?

If I follow your progression correctly, it was:

18" with Dunlop summer tires
17" with Conti DWS06
17" with Michelin AS4 (if this is the Pilot Sport All season 4, it is what I currently have on my car in 18")
17" with Conti DWS06

When you went to the Contis you changed 2 variables - wheel size and tire type.

You didn't happen to ever run your 18s with an all season like the DWS06, did you?
View Quote

The car only had about 10k on it when I put the 17s on. I was just looking for a second set of wheels to use for winter tires when I found the 17s all set up with brand new DWS06s. My original plan was to swap over fall and spring. Bought an Ateq Quickset to reprogram the TPMS back and forth. Ride was much smoother and quieter on the 17s and Contis. Sold the OEM wheels/tires and the Quickset.

Got almost 50k out of the first set of DWS06s. They were definitely worn out and weren't quiet anymore. Decided to try the Pilot Sport AS4s and got maybe 30k out of them. Noticeable drop in mpg and I don’t think they were as good in the rain and snow. Then went with the new improved DWS06+s. That's where I am now. They've been on for a couple thousand miles. So far I like them.

In all fairness to the AS4s, I could have got a little more time out of them. The TPMS sensors were dying so I had to pull the wheels and bring them to the tire shop anyways.

In the past I usually only drove the car in light snow occasionally because it was the newer, nicer vehicle. I wanted to keep the salt off of it. Truck was older. Now I got a newer truck so the car will see more drive time in the snow this winter.

I think the additional sidewall does contribute to the better ride. People had been saying to get 17s for your winters so you'd have more more give when hitting potholes and frost heaves. Makes sense. I felt every defect in the road with the OEM 18s.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I wonder if 265/40-18 tires would fit my car. That would provide the same height sidewall as your 17s. Not sure if a WRX speedo can be recalibrated.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Fushaw:

Almost 19k on my GRC..

Love this thing
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fushaw:
Originally Posted By The_Beaten_Weiner:

Almost 19k on my GRC..

Love this thing

Attachment Attached File

They did well. You need a thread.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#47]
A new WRX was high on my list as my next car, but I walked into my local Honda place one day to see if they had any rat tape and they had a Type R.
Still had it a week or so later, so I ended up with it instead.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I actually just picked up a '24 premium yesterday. So far so good, but I'm driving it super easy during the break in. The Sti shifter was worth the extra money imo, though still not as good as the stock shifter on my '23 Honda Si was. Only option I got other than the all season mats, I think. Probably running 89 octane since I'm still on the dealership's gas, but it's plenty fast for what I'm used to. Very quiet, cold start sounds ok. Infotainment is good, the screen is a little long and vertical/weird, but Carplay seems to work well and at least there's room on the dash if you need it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/IMG_1666_jpeg-3208390.JPG

They did well. You need a thread.

View Quote

I’ve thought about starting one. It comes up often enough in WRX, Golf, and other hatchback threads. But I’m not planning on modifying mine much at all so idk if anyone cares about how the car drives.

With them becoming more available now at MSRP, I’d suggest any hot hatch people give it a good hard look.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By foggy:
I have a 2023 with 5k miles. It's not that fast (especially compared to previous gen STI).
View Quote

It's very easy to make it faster than an STI and not that expensive either.
Page / 4
Subaru WRX (new gen) (Page 3 of 4)
Top Top