Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2024 11:18:02 AM EDT
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been sweeping through North American deer herds since it was first detected at a captive cervid facility in Wyoming in 1967. In all the decades since, there's never been a documented and confirmed instance of the always-fatal neurological disease jumping the species barrier, from cervids into humans. According to a new study, published last week in the journal Neurology, that long-discussed and frequently dreaded transmission of CWD from hunter-harvested deer into human beings might have actually occurred in 2022.

The study title alone is enough to perk the ears of anyone who's followed the CWD epidemic over the years. "Two Hunters from the Same Lodge Afflicted with Sporadic CJD," it reads. "Is Chronic Wasting Disease to Blame?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-hunters-die-consuming-cwd-160020393.html

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#1]
makes you wonder how far the govt will go to keep people from eating food they hunt or grow by fear articles like this pushed out by the media
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I read the article and found exactly zero evidence of cwd transmission to humans.

It’s the science version of clickbait.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
makes you wonder how far the govt will go to keep people from eating food they hunt or grow by fear articles like this pushed out by the media
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:28:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWhiteHorse] [#5]
At the very end of the article:

"The authors of the April 9 study are quick to point out that causation for the recent CJD cases in hunters remains unproven."
View Quote

Well, the author of the clickbait article sure wasn't quick to point that out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

That's just plum crazy
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Until you're eating govt crickets.  Not your own crawlspace crickets, crickets from the commissary.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:32:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hoji] [#8]
Originally Posted By Wolverine1776:

That's just plum crazy
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Well that ain’t good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#10]
clickbait trash
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Bullshit.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Horse shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:

"The authors of the April 9 study are quick to point out that causation for the recent CJD cases in hunters remains unproven."

The author knows that regular people are just like arfcom GD and take the title at face value and don't research any further.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:51:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WeimaranerDad] [#15]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

William Colby:  “Senator, that is something better discussed during an executive session.”

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:55:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Shake] [#16]
Is it even possible to have a discussion here that doesn't involve some type of governmental  conspiracy

First, the article was published by Field and Stream. Not exactly known for their anti-hunting propaganda. If CWD is able to be transmitted to humans it would absolutely devastate the hunting industry.

Second, the linked article and the original journal article never said it happened, only that it's possible it happened. Two hunters, who ate from from the same population of tainted deer, contracted and died from CJD. An extremely rare disease. It's absolutely something to keep an eye on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I think about 75000 cwd deer are consumed annually.

Let's say I'm off by a factor of 10.  So, 7500.  

7500x 5 years is about 35000 deer consumed.

X2 people eating.  15000 humans.

A large enough sample size.

Yet, nothing
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, the government has been funding gain of function experiments for several years,Ala covid.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#19]
CWD sweeping the nation!

It’s been a thing in my management unit for 20yrs.

I haven’t heard of anyone picking up those prions.

Still, it makes me think…….
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Deer breeding is big money for people with big friends. CWD will not be approached as a serious thing unless something epically bad happens that is undeniable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#21]
It's ground zero for the zombie apocalypse.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Rated:

Click bait..
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Even if it would cross the human barrier which I see zero evidence of.  I’d still hunt just won’t eat it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

We do know that there are evil people plotting total control over global food supplies.
Could they bio engineer / gain of function a virus making deer meat deadly?..for sure.
Would they?...doubt we'll ever know this side of eternity.

At the moment they don't believe they will ever be held accountable for what may already be Histories worst crime against humanity

Rand Paul: Fauci, 15 Agencies KNEW About Wuhan’s CORONAVIRUS Research—Interview
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I work for a state agency that oversees wildlife and hunting.  On every opening weekend of rifle season for the past eight years every hunter that gets a deer on opening weekend in a county designated as a CWD county has to present their deer to a CWD station to have the lymph nodes removed unless that deer is a fawn (it takes 18 moths to get going in the deer) or is going to be mounted (taking the lymph nodes would ruin the cape).  I have also participated in off season targeted culling where we (certified staff shooters) shoot deer right after season is over at night over bait with thermals on a suppressed AR-10 in locals that are considered to be a 'hot zone' (has a high density of past CWD positives) from land of cooperating land owners.  We shoot as many as we can from 4 pm to midnight or 1 am from 1/16-3/31.  Every deer we shoot we also collect the lymph nodes, two blood samples, the tongue, and the two front lower teeth.  I have literally been exposed to hundreds of deer in locations considered high CWD infected areas.  I have personally collected samples from at least 12 deer known to have CWD.

Additionally, I have inquired from team leads (who are degreed and experienced wildlife biologists) what we do to our clothing to remove CWD prions so we don't spread it around when we get back home.  The answer was there is nothing, not even bleach will effectively eliminate the prion.  

So short story if it is going to jump there ain't shit we can do about it because it rides on clothes, shoes, and skin.  It can literally sit exposed in the dirt to rain, sun, snow, wildfires, etc for AT LEAST seven years.  So you might as well worry about something you can have an impact on.  Now will I eat meat from a known infected deer-no, but I'm not up late at night worrying about it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Eat CWD deer to own da libz!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#27]
It freaks me out a little, not going to lie.

I still hunt, though.

When I process the deer I avoid cutting into spinal cord, and send it off to get tested. I quarantine all my processing equipment until I hear back.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Master_Shake:
Is it even possible to have a discussion here that doesn't involve some type of governmental  conspiracy

First, the article was published by Field and Stream. Not exactly known for their anti-hunting propaganda. If CWD is able to be transmitted to humans it would absolutely devastate the hunting industry.

Second, the linked article and the original journal article never said it happened, only that it's possible it happened. Two hunters, who ate from from the same population of tainted deer, contracted and died from CJD. An extremely rare disease. It's absolutely something to keep an eye on.
View Quote

Devoid of any facts outside of the fact they were friends at the same hunting lodge it’s just speculation. Get back to me when they shared meat from the same animal, if it was meat that had spinal column contact, etc It’s concerning given the proximity but that’s it. I do agree immediately going to “it’s a government conspiracy to control the food supply!” is retarded.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#29]
fake news.  GD has assured me no one dies of anything but vaccines.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, the two backstraps I grilled up for dinner last Saturday were gobbled up in less than five minutes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Two hunters, who ate from from the same population of tainted deer, contracted and died from CJD. An extremely rare disease.
View Quote

CJD is stupid rare, like similar chances of your kid getting caught up in a school shooting kind of rare.

To have two people that are socially connected contract it near the same time is absolutely reason for looking at what they both did that could lead to both being infected.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#32]
If I came in here saying something like “Bob and Ted both got the same shot and were dead from cancer in a year”;
I would be bombarded by post from lots of smart individuals saying something about “correlation & causation.  

And they would be right to do so.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Emeoba69:
I do agree immediately going to “it’s a government conspiracy to control the food supply!” is retarded.
View Quote

I was the same way, anymore I refer back to wondering why the EPA has to uparmor themselves.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2024/01/the_epa_arms_up_to_protect_our_democracy.html

A resurfaced report that initially flew under the radar claims that President Joe Biden’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has spent millions of dollars in taxpayer funding to stockpile military-grade equipment and weaponry.

In a letter sent to the EPA in September, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), a ranking member on the Senate Budget Committee, wrote, “As of September 14, 2023, the Biden administration EPA has already spent $2,892,770 on these items, which is 143 percent more than what was spent during the entire Trump administration.”
-----------------------------------------
Good questions all. What most Americans don’t realize is just how many federal agencies have arrest powers, and how many have been, since the Age of Obama, stockpiling military-grade—fully automatic long arms and other large caliber, offensive weapons—arms and ammunition. Even agencies such as the Department of Education and the Fish and Wildlife Service are up-arming. Apparently, fish and education grant applicants are a far greater risk to “our democracy” than anyone previously realized.
---------------------------------------
The EPA has no jurisdiction outside America, which means the only target for its growing arsenal is Americans, and while the EPA has gone after major polluters, they seem to pursue the little guy--farmers, ranchers, and everyday Americans--with gleeful arrogance.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:27:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
Deer breeding is big money for people with big friends. CWD will not be approached as a serious thing unless something epically bad happens that is undeniable.
View Quote

I was thinking along different lines.  Imagine if government studies "proved" that CWD becomes easily transmittable to humans and is usually fatal.  Now, imagine if the only deer that were "safe" and legal to shoot were raised on private game ranches and given the latest mRNA "vaccine" to make them safe.  

Imagine the money that could be made by someone.  Imagine the new laws to be passed and new government agencies created to make sure everyone is "safe" from this menace.

I guess I'll go put my tinfoil hat on now.

Skepticism about stuff like this is another gift of the government's approach to covid.  After that mess many people won't believe anything the government says.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
I read the article and found exactly zero evidence of cwd transmission to humans.

It’s the science version of clickbait.
View Quote

This. You can 100% gaurantee that IF there was any link we would know.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
If I came in here saying something like "Bob and Ted both got the same shot and were dead from cancer in a year";
I would be bombarded by post from lots of smart individuals saying something about "correlation & causation.  

View Quote
350 cases of CJD are diagnosed in the U.S. per year. The odds of 2 people from the same hunting camp contracting it in the same year are nearly impossible.

10 million people die from cancer every year in the U.S.

That's the difference.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I skimmed the study and from what I gathered, the meat which was eaten was not actually confirmed to have come from a cwd infected deer. The deer came from an area where cwd was known to be. Big difference.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#38]
This is how they will start banning deer hunting
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Something might have happened.

Also the same people telling you this might have happened said deer were infected with the china virus. They also hate you and want to take your guns
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:52:26 PM EDT
[#40]
You can't do anything anymore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I didn't read it.

However, is there a way to tell if a deer is infected?

You kill a deer , you're processing it and BAM! there it is. That's CWD . I ain't gonna eat that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

You get hungry enough and you won't even think about that article.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:09:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By R3L04D:
I skimmed the study and from what I gathered, the meat which was eaten was not actually confirmed to have come from a cwd infected deer. The deer came from an area where cwd was known to be. Big difference.
View Quote
This isn't a study, the authors weren't trying to prove anything. They were making an observation that 2 people, with known association, died from a super rare prion disease who may have eaten an animal with a prion diseases.

If CWD does make the leap from cervids to humans this is how we are going to realize it.  Imagine what would happen to the hunting industry if this does happen?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

This

The odds this was just a coincidence are….a little disconcerting.

The fact that pretty much everyone here is only concerned with virtue signaling their knee-jerk reaction skepticism & conspiracy theories is…perhaps even more disconcerting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:
Bullshit.

View Quote

Originally Posted By macaho45:
Horse shit.
View Quote

Deer shit
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Prions are absolutely terrifying. Infectious proteins that cannot be stopped.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#47]
This isn't a study, the authors weren't trying to prove anything. They were making an observation that 2 people, with known association, died from a super rare prion disease who may have eaten an animal with a prion diseases.

If CWD does make the leap from cervids to humans this is how we are going to realize it.  Imagine what would happen to the hunting industry if this does happen?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By R3L04D:

We would have much bigger problems than just hunting… CWD is everywhere it would kill millions of people hunting or not.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Cannable hunters shared a meal?
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Trust the Science! All hail Fauchi and the all knowing and wise CDC!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#50]
350 cases of CJD are diagnosed in the U.S. per year. The odds of 2 people from the same hunting camp contracting it in the same year are nearly impossible.

That's the difference.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
If I came in here saying something like "Bob and Ted both got the same shot and were dead from cancer in a year";
I would be bombarded by post from lots of smart individuals saying something about "correlation & causation.  

That's the difference.

How do people get CJD in the first place?

Is it possible that one infected person gave it to another?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top