Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 3/27/2024 5:57:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CryptoMan]
In another life I worked the gun counter at big box retail for 5 years.

Over the years I had lots of different and interesting encounters.  Some were good, some were sad, others were funny and down right WTF

One week day afternoon it was dead, and only a few people in the store.  A guy comes in and I ask him if I can help him with anything. He doesn't say anything.  He spends a few minutes looking at the 1911's.  All he sudden he looks at me and says "Wilson"  I am thinking WTF.  We didn't have any employees that worked there names Wilson.  I ask him what he means and says Wilson just louder this time. I stated again that I don't understand what he wants.  He just looks at me and says "Wilson Combat do you sell them?"  I said no we didn't carry that brand.  He turns and walks away. Just weird over all.

Got cussed out a few times because I wouldn't give a person a discount or haggle with a customer over price.  You can ask but don't get mad if I say no.  Don't like the price then go somewhere else.

Plenty of unloaded loaded gun pointed in my direction.  I got yelled at one time because the guy took it as an insult that I checked the chamber after he was muzzle sweeping me.  Turns out it was loaded... Of course he didn't know how it got that way

What stories do you have
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I mean... He was looking at 1911s is it really his fault you didn't know what a Wilson was? It's not like its an obscure unknown company.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got two stories but not from behind the counter.

This was several years ago before most of the guns in stores had trigger locks. Walked into my LGS one day and picked up a 10/22. Racked the slide, and out popped a round. Ejected the 10 rd mag and there were multiple rounds in it. Took the gun and mag up to the counter to show the employee. I told him it was loaded and there was 1 in the chamber. As I'm talking I thumbed out another 9 rounds from the mag onto the counter. The employee turned white as a ghost...

The other story is from a store in Colorado. I was on a business trip and went to see what the local inventory was like. As I'm browsing the store, in walks a married couple. Both slim/small and petite and in their early 20s. They were looking for their very first gun. The guy behind the counter extolled the wonderful virtues of the M&P Shield 45. According to him, it was the best thing since sliced bread. The couple left the store without buying it. As they walked out, I followed them into the parking lot. I struck up a conversation with them. Turns out neither of them had ever shot a gun before and wanted something for self defense. I suggested a class at a local shooting range that had a good reputation according to my co-workers. And suggested something smaller than a .45 cal as their first gun to ever shoot. By the way, this store used to be showcased in a reality gun TV show that was suddenly shelved and they lost their FFL due to some AFT issues...

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
I mean... He was looking at 1911s is it really his fault you didn't know what a Wilson was? It's not like its an obscure unknown company.
View Quote

The store didn't sell Wilson Combat products.   I didn't think it was that hard to just say Wilson Combat
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:26:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brownbomber] [#5]
View Quote

Alogia (poverty of speech)
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
What if he had walked up to the counter and blurted out "Colt"? How would that have been any more clear?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Watched a guy unpack a used .22 pistol someone had transferred in.  He aimed it at the target on the wall and I heard a bang.  I left...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mordecai:
Watched a guy unpack a used .22 pistol someone had transferred in.  He aimed it at the target on the wall and I heard a bang.  I left...
View Quote

I learned to check and double check every gun I touched
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I transferred NFA for several years along with being a rangemaster, armorer, etc.

I can't tell you the number of times I had people say "silencers are illegal."  Their eyes would get big when I'd show them we actually had cans for sale.
"Well I don't want to give nobody any right to come in my home without a warrant."  That was often purported.

The one which really stuck with me was a former servicemember telling me the S&W M&P sport wasn't good enough for him, because there was no forward assist on that gun.  He said "the bolt seals better when the forward assist is slapped."  I wanted to ask how he managed to use it when he had a M16
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#11]
The full moon sucks at the gun counter of a big pawn shop.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

lol. Why more, when less word do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember this time when I went into a gun store to buy a gun I wanted, and no one would help me.  There were guys behind the counter yapping and one looking at his phone.  I waited even made eye contact with said youngsters to no avail.   I walked out and bought one online instead and had it sent to another store.   The first store ended up closing, can't imagine why?  

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

@Badlatitude

You have to cut him some slack. His co-workers, Smith & Wesson, usually handled the 1911 sales.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Sold a guy a NIB Kimber with a tritium sight set, not knowing that the front lamp was dead. Guy brought it back a few days later and demanded I fix it. Sure not a problem, I'd even do it free since new guns are covered by our shop warranty for life and its obvious the gun wasnt shot. Called Kimber for a new sight and they wouldnt send me one, but offered to repair it themselves. Explained that to the customer and he flipped out saying I was trying to screw him and demanded I give him a slide off another gun. How about no. Ranted a while longer and left. Eventually came back and had us send the gun back.

Another one, weird guy walks in

"yall sell body armor?"
"No, why do you need it?"
"Ask me no questions, and ill tell you no lies". "get the fuck out and dont come back".

Many "you raysis cuz you wont sell me a gun", never mind they smell like theyd been hanging out with fucking snoopdog all day.

Also have an older guy come in and will pay for a gun with 7 or 8 different credit cards, or will pay $10 for something on layaway that only has 50 or 60 left on it. He'll also leave guns on layaway that have less than $5 on them for 2 months. Super nice guy whose business is always welcome, but kind of a pain in the ass to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:15:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Clockwork138] [#16]
Never worked behind a gun counter, but... people who have no idea as to what their firearm is chambered always astounds me.

A couple of incidents:
A fat guy telling an LGS employee he'd like to buy some ammo.

"OK, sir. What caliber?"

"I don't know. But here's the gun." as he digs a revolver out of his pocket.

I was at another shop when a guy came in looking for ammo for his "50 cal Desert Eagle". He wasn't sure what he needed other than "50 cal". The shop employee wasn't sure what he needed. They were about to sell him a box of .500 S&W when I chimed-in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked the gun counter at Cabela's for a short time, but don't really have any good stories. Some customers were definitely odd, but nothing too crazy. Sold a few carry guns to some hot nurses who worked the downtown hospitals. {sadly, no pics}

The only ones I really hated to deal with were guys wanting to talk about the finer points of scopes for their hunting rifle. I don't know shit about scopes for hunting. {my failing, not theirs}
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Working a hobbie job at a local LGS, we had a range and thus also had rental guns. These guys come in checking out all the guns and asked about the rental case. I explained they were rentals in which he exclaimed "we can rent these, like blockbuster movies, and bring them back tomorrow"?! Um, that's a hard no.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Also had a Lee Enfield come in on a transfer with no buyer info that was loaded. I was super pissed. I had another employee call them for the info cuz I was going to lose my shit on them. The old fuck at the store said someone elase must have packed it not checked. Sure thing pal. 2 weeks later another rifle showed up loaded along with 2 boxes of ammo. Both came through USPS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
What if he had walked up to the counter and blurted out "Colt"? How would that have been any more clear?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Go to the grocery store worker and say, "bread." He'll think you're nuts, too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been doing the gun ting many ways for many years.

Plenty of messed up things happening on both sides of the counter .

Plenty of businesses being run in some pretty crazy ways and plenty of crazy customers that get bent when you won't follow through on their wacky ideas

Not so much the pointing of loaded guns part but  gun stores are generally quite entertaining.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Customer-"You got any clips?"
Me-"Yes sir, what kind to you need?"
Customer-"it's for a 9mm"
Me- "What brand and model?"
Customer-" I don't know, I just need a 9mm clips."
Me-"I need a little more information than you have given me. They aren't all the same."

This happens at least 2 times a week.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Old fella is going into the range and not wearing ear protection.

Rich: (from behind the counter) Sir! You have to wear ear protection.
Old Fella: What?

Rich: Sir! You have to wear ear protection.

Rich: You have to wear ear protection.

Rich: Oh, go ahead.

Not a sea story, saw it happen.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Had this tall ass guy and his daughter come in the other day to buy him a gun. His 7’ foot tall kid was trying to help him fill out his 4473. Almost had to eject them for a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#25]
my buddy who worked a pawn shop said an urban gent came in & said he wanted a point four five wid da beamz & a stendo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#26]
When I bought my scar (17) I grabbed a couple 556 pmags that were on sale and the clerk said those won't work you need 308 pmags
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Amped:
Had this tall ass guy and his daughter come in the other day to buy him a gun. His 7' foot tall kid was trying to help him fill out his 4473. Almost had to eject them for a straw purchase.
View Quote
You aren't about three foot four with pointy ears are you?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Had this tall ass guy and his daughter come in the other day to buy him a gun. His 7' foot tall kid was trying to help him fill out his 4473. Almost had to eject them for a straw purchase.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Had this tall ass guy and his daughter come in the other day to buy him a gun. His 7’ foot tall kid was trying to help him fill out his 4473. Almost had to eject them for a straw purchase.
View Quote

I understood that reference.gif
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
You aren't about three foot four with pointy ears are you?
View Quote

Mom?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Love these threads, we always get to hear stories from both sides of the counter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By olscruffy:
my buddy who worked a pawn shop said an urban gent came in & said he wanted a point four five wid da beamz & a stendo.
View Quote

Ok I get that the urban gent wants a 45 with a laser or light.  What does stendo mean
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a few.  I worked the firearm dept at a large retailer as well.

Just before deer hunting season once had a guy looking for ammo for his 308.  Showed him a box of 308 Win.  He said his gun is a Browning, not a Winchester.  He just could wrap his head around that.  Eventually told him “Sorry, we don’t carry 308 Browning”.  

One guy came in with a cart full of fudd guns to sell.  He came home and saw muzzles and rifle stocks sticking out of his elderly neighbor’s trash can.  Turns out her husband died and had a bunch of guns.  She didn’t want them.  This guy explained you really shouldn’t just throw guns in the trash and took them to us to sell.  Turns out the previous week she threw out a bunch of handguns.

Caught a kid once grabbing ammo and loading rifles on display.  During my rounds would always check the guns.  This and the next story prompted the store to move all guns behind the counter.  

During an audit we couldn’t find an o/u shotgun.  The empty box was in the vault so it should be on the sales floor.  Eventually found a cut cable and security tag.  Security camera footage showed an old man hobble in on crutches.  Goes straight to this shotgun, picks it up, looks around and pulls a wire cutter out of his pocket.  Clips the cables, breaks shotgun in half and shoves both halves down his pant leg.  Then hobbles straight out the store again.  

I got more, but thats enough for now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:51:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#34]
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:
In another life I worked the gun counter at big box retail for 5 years.
Over the years I had lots of different and interesting encounters.  Some were good, some were sad, others were funny and down right WTF
One week day afternoon it was dead, and only a few people in the store.  A guy comes in and I ask him if I can help him with anything. He doesn't say anything.  He spends a few minutes looking at the 1911's.  All he sudden he looks at me and says "Wilson"  I am thinking WTF.  We didn't have any employees that worked there names Wilson.  I ask him what he means and says Wilson just louder this time. I stated again that I don't understand what he wants.  He just looks at me and says "Wilson Combat do you sell them?"  I said no we didn't carry that brand.  He turns and walks away. Just weird over all.
Got cussed out a few times because I wouldn't give a person a discount or haggle with a customer over price.  You can ask but don't get mad if I say no.  Don't like the price then go somewhere else.
Plenty of unloaded loaded gun pointed in my direction.  I got yelled at one time because the guy took it as an insult that I checked the chamber after he was muzzle sweeping me.  Turns out it was loaded... Of course he didn't know how it got that way

What stories do you have
View Quote

GunBroker.

No idiot gunstore counter-help to deal with.  …. Just pay to play.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I've never worked at a gun counter, but I did 'tech help' for an online gun/accessory retailer.

There were some dumb questions, and some ignorant ones. It hurt my feelings to hear guys wanting to cut up and bubbafy collectibles and rare guns.

The worst tech call I remember is the guy who had the wrong ammo. He was trying to shoot .30-06 rounds through a Mosin. He said that the bolt wouldn't close, so he literally hammered it -WITH A HAMMER- until it closed. Then, it wouldn't fire, and he couldn't get it open.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Ok I get that the urban gent wants a 45 with a laser or light.  What does stendo mean
View Quote

"Stendo" is urban slang for an extended magazine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Urban Dictonary said that it's an extended magazine. "Stendo klip"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Cantshootstrate:

Urban Dictonary said that it's an extended magazine. "Stendo klip"
View Quote

Learn something new everyday.

Dealing with some of the Urban Yutes was interesting.

Where can I a choppa...a what?  A choppa.   Knives and machetes are down this way.   They were referring to AK47
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
I have a few.  I worked the firearm dept at a large retailer as well.

Just before deer hunting season once had a guy looking for ammo for his 308.  Showed him a box of 308 Win.  He said his gun is a Browning, not a Winchester.  He just could wrap his head around that.  Eventually told him “Sorry, we don’t carry 308 Browning”.  

One guy came in with a cart full of fudd guns to sell.  He came home and saw muzzles and rifle stocks sticking out of his elderly neighbor’s trash can.  Turns out her husband died and had a bunch of guns.  She didn’t want them.  This guy explained you really shouldn’t just throw guns in the trash and took them to us to sell.  Turns out the previous week she threw out a bunch of handguns.

Caught a kid once grabbing ammo and loading rifles on display.  During my rounds would always check the guns.  This and the next story prompted the store to move all guns behind the counter.  

During an audit we couldn’t find an o/u shotgun.  The empty box was in the vault so it should be on the sales floor.  Eventually found a cut cable and security tag.  Security camera footage showed an old man hobble in on crutches.  Goes straight to this shotgun, picks it up, looks around and pulls a wire cutter out of his pocket.  Clips the cables, breaks shotgun in half and shoves both halves down his pant leg.  Then hobbles straight out the store again.  

I got more, but thats enough for now.
View Quote

Come on!!! We can handle more than that at a time.😂
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beretta_Jerry:

They will tell you an isle number...
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:04:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mark5pt56] [#41]
I keep a bag of these for the Fudds that ask for them.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#42]
In a local pawn shop I pointed out that a muzzleloader was loaded and the counter guy got pissed and told me to leave.  I still really can’t wrap my head around that one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes

Longslide??
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By LittleAugieMo:

Longslide??
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LittleAugieMo:

Longslide??

Its been posted above by a few people.  It is an extended magazine.  

I would have something like this for them

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I’ve worked for an FFL at a gunshow for several years. Never had any odd things happen. Met lots of cool people. And learned that gun owners come in many shapes and colors. You can’t judge a book by its cover. Gun people are generally the best people.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Small local gun shop owner was selling a guy his first handgun. 9mm Glock. Ammo came up and store owner pull out a box of Gold Dots and said "this will really sweep them off their feet".  Conversation went downhill from there about how powerful the 9mm really is and nobody needs anything bigger.

Gunshop story that still pisses me off to this day. Grice Gunshop has factory reps every year and an anniversary sale. I go every year to see what's new. The year Savage Scout rifles came out I was hollered at by the Savage rep. Savage had a display table set up with rifles to look at. Everyone was taking turns checking them out. While I was holding the Scout the rep hollered PUT MY RIFLE DOWN! Everybody in the store looked at me like I was some asshole. I had the cash in my pocket to buy 2 and planned on it. The rep then laughs at me and said he was joking. Said he was trying to keep things entertaining. I told him to shove it and bought a couple Ruger rifles that day. The next day I sold both Savage rifles I owned. Since that day I've probably bought over 50 bolt action rifles. Not one was a Savage.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:28:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AugustineBolishbatfe] [#47]
Can't remember the year . . .

Gun counter/outdoors was upstairs (required an escalator to get there).  Dude apparently had grabbed a shotgun shell from one of the boxes on the shelf unnoticed.  Walks up to the gun counter and asks to see a Remington 870. The associate handed it to him.  The dude pretended to look at it like he was curious, then he quickly loaded the round into the tube, racked the slide and then suck started the shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been working part time at a large LGS (1200 guns in stock) since I retired from the railroad back in 2007. So I have a bunch of "you won't believe this shit" type of stories.

Had an urban yoot come in and ask for some "38 ammo".
Me: 38 Special?
Yoot: No, just regular 38.
Me: There is no "regular 38". We've got 38 special, 38 S&W, 38 Super, and 38-40.
Yoot: Naw, man. I just want REGULAR 38.
Me: You got the gun with you?
So the yoot goes out to his car and brings in a Bersa Thunder in 380.

My favorite is the time two old ladies came in the door carrying a total of 7 long guns. Some were in gun cases, but most were not. It seems that the husband of one of the old gals had died about 5 years earlier, and the guns had been in the closet ever since. So the ladies (with some help from one of our clerks) put the guns up on the counter. The guns were nothing special.... a JC Higgins 22 auto, a beat-to-shit old Winchester 94, a Mossberg bolt-action 16 gauge shotgun, and 4 others. Every fucking one of the guns was loaded. Not just in the magazine, either. Every one had a round in the chamber. I had bad dreams about that day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AugustineBolishbatfe:
Can't remember the year . . .

Gun counter/outdoors was upstairs (required an escalator to get there).  Dude apparently had grabbed a shotgun shell from one of the boxes on the shelf unnoticed.  Walks up to the gun counter and asks to see a Remington 870. The associate handed it to him.  The dude pretended to look at it like he was curious, then he quickly loaded the round into the tube, racked the slide and then suck started the shotgun.
View Quote

Cheap bastard didn't even pay for the shell?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By brownbomber:

Alogia (poverty of speech)
View Quote

Learned something new every day here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top