Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2024 11:19:19 AM EDT

A police pursuit of a stolen vehicle through Hollywood on Thursday night came to an abrupt end as the car, an electric Tesla, ran out of battery in the middle of the road.

According to stringer service KeyNews, the pursuit originated in Koreatown, in the area of Western Avenue and 8th Street, when the Tesla Model S was reported stolen around 11:35 p.m. Police pursued the car into Hollywood and was on the 101 Freeway at one point.

The owner of the vehicle informed police when the vehicle’s battery was down to 1%. Eventually, the Tesla’s battery died in the middle of the street on the 4600 block of Melrose Avenue.

The suspect was arrested, KeyNews reports. The Los Angeles Police Department did not release any details as of Friday morning.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/stolen-tesla-runs-out-of-battery-in-the-middle-of-hollywood-police-pursuit/
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm surprised you can't just call tesla and have it immobilized.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:26:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akrado:
View Quote
It should just take a mouse click to do it, one would think. It's why the democrat-communists are so desperately horny to force everyone into having to drive one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

Cops will probably have a button on the dash in patrol cars soon that will disable EVs instantly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

Cops will probably have a button on the dash in patrol cars soon that will disable EVs instantly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn.... And the S model gets free charging.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:33:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jos51700] [#6]
Surprised the cops could get the suspect out with the battery dead. Nobody knows about the manual door releases.

My money is on 'battery dead' so nobody knows the reality about remote shut down.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:37:08 AM EDT
[#7]
What is da suspect look like?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:
What is da suspect look like?
View Quote

Most likely MAGA Kraka.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#9]
This would never happen in a gas car.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
It should just take a mouse click to do it, one would think. It's why the democrat-communists are so desperately horny to force everyone into having to drive one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You guys know that GM vehicles have been able to be remotely killed for over a decade right?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#11]
I know it shouldn’t amaze me, but it still does.  I should know better by now.

Just how much flat out wrong information about EVs (especially Tesla) there is in a GD thread.

This isnt malinformation, or misinformation (or whatever Democrat led word you want to use), this is flat out wrong information.  Dare I say, its lies?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
Surprised the cops could get the suspect out with the battery dead. Nobody knows about the manual door releases.

My money is on 'battery dead' so nobody knows the reality about remote shut down.
View Quote

Everything but the drive motors are powered by the 12v system / battery.  The main battery can be dead without effecting the 12v battery….at least until the 12v battery also dies but like any other vehicle that would take some time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
This would never happen in a gas car.
View Quote

Ahh yea, it does happen.

Car thief runs out of gas minutes after stealing SUV
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jos51700:

View Quote

The High Voltage battery died but the low voltage 12 VDC or 16 VDC (depending on year) will allow doors, computer to still work.  

Likely the owner left their cell phone or keyfob, keycard inside the car when they left.  Tesla's are generally quite difficult to steal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

You guys know that GM vehicles have been able to be remotely killed for over a decade right?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fox2008:

And like every car sold 2026 and on thanks to new big gov laws.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes

Why do you people think this can only be done to just EVs???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top