Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Reaper] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:
I am having an issue with robins trying to nest on my patio light.  Fake owl and streamer of old CD's does nothing for robins.  Over the weekend I propped up two empty soda cans on top of the lights and the robins only tried to land once and sound/sight of the can falling scared them away.  I have them tied to the lights now.  Robins like to make a quick nest to lay eggs this time of year then vanish after the babies are out.  The fake owl and CD's do seem to scare everything else away (except for the stray cats and squirrels).  My dog is not very good about scaring ground critters.  He is frighten of bumble bees.
View Quote

European Starlings are not protected by law.

Robins, however, are protected by the Migratory Bird Species Act of 1918, and even disturbing them while building a nest is a felony.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife made a fake hornet nest by stuffing a brown paper bag with newspaper.  It's hanging on our porch to (supposedly) keep carpenter bees away.  It seems to work, because I haven't seen many bees since she put it up.  One thing I did notice is that the hummingbirds that come to the feeders on the porch are VERY wary of it.  It might be worth a try for other birds.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

Robins, however, are protected by the Migratory Bird Species Act of 1918, and even disturbing them while building a nest is a felony.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I am having an issue with robins trying to nest on my patio light.  Fake owl and streamer of old CD's does nothing for robins.  Over the weekend I propped up two empty soda cans on top of the lights and the robins only tried to land once and sound/sight of the can falling scared them away.  I have them tied to the lights now.  Robins like to make a quick nest to lay eggs this time of year then vanish after the babies are out.  The fake owl and CD's do seem to scare everything else away (except for the stray cats and squirrels).  My dog is not very good about scaring ground critters.  He is frighten of bumble bees.

Good to know.  I only see the law apply to active nest and/or nest with eggs.  I do not see any law preventing or removing nest building material from birds "trying" to build a nest.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used an El cheapo Red Ryder with great success.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By extractr:
Something like this would work well.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJFCDTK

Or if you prefer .22 caliber.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01APG0VUC
View Quote

I have the 177 version and no complaints
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Falcon09:
No need to get fancy, a Crosman 2100 shooting BBs will do the job.

I kill squirrels with mine.
View Quote

I second that.  My brother and I grew up with them.  Pellets work great too...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:

12 gauge, #8 steel birdshot, walk backward toward shed, they will "pull" from behidn you over your head.

Bonus points if you use a mag fed semi auto...
View Quote
Walk backwards? I've never considered taking it to that level.

Excellent concept.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]

My great grandfather used to have a smooth bore .22 rimfire for shotshells.
My dad says they used to be a thing years ago, and they had competitions similar to trap shooting.
(obviously smaller targets, and closer range)

I thought that would be pretty cool, but I guess smooth bore rimfires would be illegal today.
View Quote

Henry Garden gun
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a tabby cat and a loaf of bread. The problem was gone in two days.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By southerncross:
Do you have a cat, OP?
View Quote
No.   And these birds would probably corrupt one if I did, the shady bastards.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:53:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prae] [#11]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Might I suggest a cheap bolt action .22 and aguila colibri or super colibri for ammo.  The colibri is about 420-450fps out of a 16" barrel and the super colibri is about 600fps. This makes it makes it dead quiet in a bolt action rifle. I shoot squirrels with colibri and the click of the trigger/hammer is significantly louder then the report out the barrel.  In fact, even without a suppressor, there is basically no report whatsoever.  Shooting colibri out of a bolt action is literally as quiet as a pellet gun.

With a .22 bolt action and colibri you get slow, safe projectile speed but no need to pump up a pellet gun, or buy compressors and shit like a PCP.  And .22 bolt actions are cheap. Here is a Rossi .22 bolt action for $160. It holds 10 rounds and has a 3/8 dovetail optic rail.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/rossi-rb22-22lr-bolt-action-rifle-blk-rb22l1811.html

and Aguila Colibri info: https://www.aguilaammo.com/products/22-colibr-i-long-rifle-subsonic-powderless-lead-bullet
View Quote
Interesting.   I have an old Stevens single shot .22 that I got from my grandfather years ago.  Most accurate iron sight rifle I have.   I'm intrigued, thank you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Gatherer:
Birds aren't real. They're .gov spy drones and will record as you shoot at them. Soon to be followed by your door crashing in at 5AM and your dog being shot. Tread carefully.
View Quote
I'm going to paint my face like Insane Clown Posse so facial recognition doesn't catch me plus hunt naked other than tin foil undies.   Thanks for the heads up.

In all seriousness I have neighbors around so worried about travel, but the quiet ammo above has me interested.   Appreciate all the replies.

Damn Starlings.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Starling trivia;

All the European Starlings in North America descended from 100 birds set loose in New York's Central Park in the early 1890s by a man named Eugene Schieffelin.

View Quote
He needed to be raped by a rusty iron cactus.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure if they're starlings or not, but I have these little birds nesting and hatching all over the place.  I don't mind the nests or the birds, but the bird shit is an issue.  I tried to get rid of a nest the other day, but couldn't do it...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Rixae86:

View Quote

That is what I have.   I got it for $30 during the Walmart clearance days.  It has been a great gun.   I use it to take out rats in my chicken coop.  

I also have one of the old Crossman rifles.  It works as well,  but the Gamo is nice where you only need to break open the barrel once to charge it,  where the Crossman takes 10 pumps to get it up to full power.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't underestimate the intelligence of Starlings.

You shoot one, and you won't be able to step outside with your pellet rifle without them scattering.

View Quote

Cool!  Make a scarecrow holding the pellet rifle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By michigan66:
This has worked for me.
RUGER IMPACT MAX ELITE .22 CALIBER
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/501718/IMG_1695_jpeg-3201189.JPG
View Quote

That’s not a bad price for a gas piston rifle.  Is it accurate?  Decent trigger?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By hockeysew:

Charlie just has a thing for booby traps don't he?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hockeysew:
Originally Posted By manowar669:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBSOmSwoegw

Charlie just has a thing for booby traps don't he?

Well, if you can’t surf, then you have to have some other hobby to take up your time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mike103:

I agree but that’s mostly due to the rifling in the bore spinning the shot. Shoot the same shells from a smooth bore 22 and it’s a whole different story. I found the Federal metallic shells much more effective than the plastic CCI.

Smooth bore 22’s are out there. Hard to find and some can be pricey.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By McGuy:

The CCI shotshells don't have any effect in my experience. I got some Federal but haven't tried it yet.

I agree but that’s mostly due to the rifling in the bore spinning the shot. Shoot the same shells from a smooth bore 22 and it’s a whole different story. I found the Federal metallic shells much more effective than the plastic CCI.

I wonder if a old Marlin micro groove barrel would suffice for a smooth bore “ish”?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#20]

My dad says they used to be a thing years ago, and they had competitions similar to trap shooting.

I thought that would be pretty cool, but I guess smooth bore rimfires would be illegal today.
View Quote

I think they called them "Garden Guns".

Henry makes a lever action 22 smoothbore still.

They came in many flavors but the idea is the same. A small bore shotgun for killing garden pests that has limited range.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -RotorDemon-] [#21]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By extractr:
Something like this would work well.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJFCDTK

Or if you prefer .22 caliber.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01APG0VUC

Same here. Just put a weaver to picatinny adapter on it with a 3x9x40 scope. The factory scope that comes with it is mostly plastic and I can't see it holding up for a long time.

Gamo swarm whisper 10x .177
Attachment Attached File

3x9x40 Scope and trigger lightened to about 2lbs
Attachment Attached File

One shot to the base of the head in front of the shoulders at 20 yards. Meet 11lb (+ -) Skunk.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

There is a lot of hate on other forms for Gamo rifles. With some cheap upgrades and a 10mm long screw to adjust the trigger it runs really well.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Though they are more expensive, PSP's are the top of the top.

_IMG0645-Edit-1 by Colo CJ, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Blame the Shakespeareans
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Wack-A-Mole:
Gold standard of break barrels, the RWS 34.
I've yet to see a Gamo hold accuracy.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

The Audubon Society recommends cleaning the nest out during construction. Robins will not re-use a nest so if they come back next year they'll build elsewhere.

I encourage the robins to nest in my shop lean-to by clearing out the nests each winter. They'll build on any dry shelf they can find and mine nest in the tops of the downlight installed in my open work area behind the shop.

I saw four starlings last week and was surprised thinking they were funny sounding grackles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

The Audubon Society and Cornell Lab is giving felonious advice?

I guess I have to sell my house, it's infected with migratory bird species.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:00:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By midmo:
At least make it fun...

CO2 Powered, Full-Auto BB Air Rifle, Black
View Quote

I got myself one of the Thompson M1 full Otto CO2 BB guns.   I set it aside and forget it’s there and needs to be shot.  
You could shoot at the shit birds and say “take that ya filthy animal!”
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

That’s not a bad price for a gas piston rifle.  Is it accurate?  Decent trigger?
View Quote

Both are OK, at least for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:43:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeSSS] [#29]
Starlings don't need much power.  Crosman .177 pellets from Walmart, etc. need only about 400 fps for starlings.

BB guns, like a Red Ryder, will work but steel BBs bounce back under the wrong conditions.  A Red Ryder shoots 5.4 gr BBs at about 220 fps.  Red Ryders I've used in the last 20 years have been pretty accurate for smooth bore.

Crosman pump rifles take a lot more work than Daisy pumps to get the same velocity.  10 pumps gives about 600 fps in .177.  A springer giving 600 fps is much less work to use.

Springers need a consistent hold, a hold that they "like", pump ups are much easier to shoot accurately.  Red Ryders and similar BB guns are springers.

860 fps is close to the maximum accurate velocity for pellets.  Don't believe advertised velocities, they are too high by intent, for lawyer reasons.

The inexpensive Daisy pumper that has a rifled barrel will do just fine, Crosman pellets should be accurate enough.  Use a parallax adjustable scope, adjustable down to 10 yards or closer.  Duplex reticle is good for varying close distances.  Scope creep won't be a problem.

Springers can damage scopes and scope mount creep is a real problem.  Pump ups don't have this problem.

The Crosman Classic I had was way too hard to pump and it was very easy to have pellets go in backwards.  The Daisy Powerline 880 is much easier to pump, much easier to put pellets in correctly and is more accurate too.

A Benjamin .177 was way too hard to pump, had no way to mount a scope that held zero and was not accurate.  Same for .22 Benjamins I've used.

Don't grip a Crosman Classic or Daisy 880 too tightly, they bend easily and that will throw a shot.  

The Daisy single pump pneumatic target air rifle, like from CMP, is very accurate and has the correct power level.  It's a great bargain and an excellent air rifle.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#30]
https://www.benjaminairguns.com/marauder-pistol

Sometimes you can catch these at $325. Good to 50 - 60 yards, 8 shot repeating magazine.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-avenger-regulated-pcp-air-rifle?m=5136

$350 kill at 90-100 yards - 10 shot magazine

You're gonna need a pump and a scope, but in my opinion, it's the only way to go.

Just set up on a tripod and go to work.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ske714:

Rifled barrel and no choke.  The pattern with those is so big, and the shot is so small, you'd have better success throwing rocks.  They're okay for butterflies, if you can get close enough.

Marlin made a smooth bore 22 for a few years.   I have one, but the sear broke and replacements do not exist - different design that other Marlin 22s.   And wouldn’t think they sold well.   Pretty limited use.  
They were single shot.  They called it a garden gun.  Model 25MG.  
A total pain to use with the crimped federal shotshells.   They always stuck in the chamber and failed to extract.   So you need to carry a little screw driver when shooting it to pry out the empty
The CCI shotshells don’t generally have that problem.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
https://www.benjaminairguns.com/marauder-pistol

Sometimes you can catch these at $325. Good to 50 - 60 yards, 8 shot repeating magazine.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-avenger-regulated-pcp-air-rifle?m=5136

$350 kill at 90-100 yards - 10 shot magazine

You're gonna need a pump and a scope, but in my opinion, it's the only way to go.

Just set up on a tripod and go to work.
View Quote

The marauder is extremely quiet too - integra suppressed barrel.
For the money they cannot be beat and they make an excellent piece of gear to have for SHTF - quiet accurate ammo (pellets) is cheap and currently plentiful
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Good luck, OP.

I battle Starlings every year in my pole barn. I go out a couple times a day with a shotgun and over the course of a couple weeks they are killed/pushed out.

Need to try hanging stuff, as they just come back the next year.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:
Though they are more expensive, PSP's are the top of the top.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51393914069_9791148df0_b.jpg_IMG0645-Edit-1 by Colo CJ, on Flickr
View Quote

Lol

“My budget is $200”
“No! Spend $2,000!”

Any wal-mart gamo break action .177 will be plenty of gun and surprisingly accurate. Ive taken down rabbits with them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By xerxes2695:

Lol

“My budget is $200”
“No! Spend $2,000!”

Any wal-mart gamo break action .177 will be plenty of gun and surprisingly accurate. Ive taken down rabbits with them.
View Quote

I agree. My NP Umarex is quite a blaster, and fairly quiet with the standard suppressor. Plus not needing to by Co2 for it is a real plus.
I think it hits harder than the Crosman 2240 that started out cheap but is now more than doubled in price outlay due to mods. It's a blast to shoot though, and vey quiet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 2:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Reaper] [#36]
Originally Posted By Paul:

The Audubon Society and Cornell Lab is giving felonious advice?

I guess I have to sell my house, it's infected with migratory bird species.
View Quote

@Paul

Don't know what to tell you.

I went around and around with this 10 years ago at a utility I worked at.

Swallows started nesting in the building that housed a potable water system.

Someone said "tear the nests down and shut the door".

Someone else said "that's illegal, you can't".

So they came to me.  I grew up on a farm and as a kid we tried shooting them on the wing.  So I was initially in favor of just killing them.

But since I was asked, I had to find the correct answer.  And I remind these people not to ask me questions if they were going to hate the right answer.

Lots of reading and phone calls.  Interpretation on top of interpretation.  

It boiled down to the federal government accepting the definition of "take" in the Eagle Protection Act as the same definition of "take" in the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.  The Eagle Protection Act defines "take" as "pursue, shoot, shoot at, poison, wound, kill, capture, trap, collect, molest or disturb."  Regulations further define "disturb" as “to agitate or bother a bald or golden eagle to a degree that causes, or is likely to cause, based on the best scientific information available, 1) injury to an eagle, 2) a decrease in its productivity, by substantially interfering with normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering behavior, or 3) nest abandonment, by substantially interfering with normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering behavior"  LINK

So while it is clearly illegal to disturb a Robin nest with eggs, Feds concluded an active nest includes one being built because removing it or blocking birds access to it would constitute "disturbing" the bird.  Destroying a nest after young have fledged is perfectly legal.  

I have found websites saying it is ok to remove a nest being built.  And I mentioned this to the agency I talked to.  They said it is up to the interpretation by the agent at the time because if they believe it disturbed the bird, it violates the Act.  

And yes, American Robins are on the list of birds protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918.  LINK
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Another example of "don't ask me a question if you don't want the correct answer"....

A manager at work (Illinois) wanted his groundskeeper to spray weeds.
The groundskeeper was tired and didn't want to, so he said "I can't, I'm not licensed".
Ignoring the fact he had been doing it for the past 50 years.

SO the manager called me to give the official green light so his groundskeeper could get back to work.

Ugh.  SO I dig into it.  

In Illinois, you can go to Walmart and buy weed killer and you can spray your lawn at home.

However, you can't take that same weed killer to work and spray weeds.

Illinois requires a pesticide applicators license when used as part of a job.

So the manager said "screw that.  I'll just use that recipe I saw online.  Vinegar, salt, and dish soap".

I said "what's the intent of that recipe?"

He said "to kill the dandelions"

I said "Your intent is to use it as a weed killer".

he said "yep".

The definition of "pesticide" includes "anything used with the intent to kill weeds".

So not only could his groundskeeper not spray 2,4-D,  he couldn't spray vinegar salt dish soap.

The manager was livid, because now he had to pay a lawn service to spray.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Bought some of those Aguila sub sonics today.   Holy crap!!!!    We may have a winner.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I use a Daisy 853 out to 20 yards, and my R9 past that. RWS match pellets knocks them dead.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By NotMrWizard:
I use a Daisy 853 out to 20 yards, and my R9 past that. RWS match pellets knocks them dead.
View Quote
Nice.  I'll be using my Stevens model 15-A I got from my grandfather years ago.  We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By NotMrWizard:
View Quote

Match pellets for the win.  The Daisy 853 is a superb air rifle as is the R9.

Congratulations on excellent choices.  Well done.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Might I suggest a cheap bolt action .22 and aguila colibri or super colibri for ammo.  The colibri is about 420-450fps out of a 16" barrel and the super colibri is about 600fps. This makes it makes it dead quiet in a bolt action rifle. I shoot squirrels with colibri and the click of the trigger/hammer is significantly louder then the report out the barrel.  In fact, even without a suppressor, there is basically no report whatsoever.  Shooting colibri out of a bolt action is literally as quiet as a pellet gun.

With a .22 bolt action and colibri you get slow, safe projectile speed but no need to pump up a pellet gun, or buy compressors and shit like a PCP.  And .22 bolt actions are cheap. Here is a Rossi .22 bolt action for $160. It holds 10 rounds and has a 3/8 dovetail optic rail.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/rossi-rb22-22lr-bolt-action-rifle-blk-rb22l1811.html

and Aguila Colibri info: https://www.aguilaammo.com/products/22-colibr-i-long-rifle-subsonic-powderless-lead-bullet
View Quote

Good luck finding Colibri or Super Colibri. No one has had it in stock for over 3 years. I even tried emailing Aguila about the availability of it, but they never replied.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Did I make it in before the "you're a psycho for handling a situation like this by killing them"

We always used a BB gun or pellet gun, but the smooth bore 22 seems interesting!

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Fx impact mk III or fx panthera
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By _Redacted_:
Did I make it in before the "you're a psycho for handling a situation like this by killing them"

We always used a BB gun or pellet gun, but the smooth bore 22 seems interesting!

View Quote
Nope, you're early to the party.   Been waiting for that too but this one hasn't been infiltrated yet  haha
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#46]
What distance are you shooting from ?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
What distance are you shooting from ?
View Quote
I'd say ~30yds or so.  Some closer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:34:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#48]
Originally Posted By Prae:
I'd say ~30yds or so.  Some closer.
View Quote

This is also fun. Got about $150 in to it.
Would certainly get the job done. (.177) About 650fps.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

This is also fun. Got about $150 in to it.
Would certainly get the job done. (.177) About 650fps.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279984/20231022_095005_jpg-3202660.JPG
View Quote
Heck yeah.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By McGuy:

The CCI shotshells don't have any effect in my experience. I got some Federal but haven't tried it yet.

Check out 9mm Flobert.

Chiappa still makes a gun chambered in it and Fiocchi still makes ammo.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top