Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/29/2024 8:49:05 AM EDT
I need to start working on some starlings at our barn.   Looking for a relatively cheap but accurate pellet rifle w/ a scope.  Prefer under $200.

Any of you heathens have good luck w/ something I'm describing?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate those fucking birds.

Good luck OP. You’re doing Gods work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:

Good luck OP. You're doing Gods work.
View Quote
Thanks.   Me too man.  Satan's spawn.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:54:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: extractr] [#3]
Something like this would work well.

Or if you prefer .22 caliber.

Amazon Product
  • .22 Cal pellet single cocking break barrel, 1020 fps with PBA Platinum
  • Powerful, quiet, accurate. Thanks to the IGT MACH 1 gas piston that delivers higher muzzle velocity, less vibration, and smoother cocking. It also features the Whisper Fusion technology, the quietest noise reduction technology patented by Gamo.
  • Gamo 3-9x40 scope with RRR (Recoil Reducing Rail) - Absorbs the recoil of the rifle increasing the lifespan of the scope. Manual Safety

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#4]
No need to get fancy, a Crosman 2100 shooting BBs will do the job.

I kill squirrels with mine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Benjamin Marauder.  They are insanely accurate.    
Compressed air bottle and hand pump for the refills. (Get both).   But I mostly use the hand pump, you can get a little more pressure in it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried putting up something sparkly & reflective as a deterrent?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Gold standard of break barrels, the RWS 34.
I've yet to see a Gamo hold accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Crossman 1400 I'll sell you at a good price
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#9]
traps are more effective.
do some homework on starling traps
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#10]
little shit birds have taken up residence in my car port and started shitting all over my trucks

they're about to learn about .22 shotshells
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:20:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyfender2] [#11]
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
View Quote

I put up two different kinds of reflective streamers. After a day they lost their fear and just flew under them. Waste of time and money. I then put up netting, they just tore holes in it.

Bought an air rifle, but they fly about all panicky when I approach my garage, and are almost impossible to hit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:
little shit birds have taken up residence in my car port and started shitting all over my trucks

View Quote

The CCI shotshells don't have any effect in my experience. I got some Federal but haven't tried it yet.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I made friends with the crows and they started chasing them off. Those little starlings would dive bomb me everywhere I went in the yard for a while.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:22:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Fake owls have worked for me to keep birds out of areas where I do not want them.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Easy Creative Underground Quick Pigeons Trap Using Paper Box - Easy Bird Traps

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I've killed truck loads of black birds with Daisy 10 pump air rifles.  Very accurate and cheap.  Some of those really good air rifles are actually over powered for the job.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By McGuy:

The CCI shotshells don't have any effect in my experience. I got some Federal but haven't tried it yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

work OK for me.  i've killed lots of pigeons with them but they've got to be head shots
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Prae:
I need to start working on some starlings at our barn.   Looking for a relatively cheap but accurate pellet rifle w/ a scope.  Prefer under $200.

Any of you heathens have good luck w/ something I'm describing?

Thank you.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Airguns/54/

Lots of great info.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By manowar669:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBSOmSwoegw
View Quote

Charlie just has a thing for booby traps don't he?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:

Good luck OP. You’re doing Gods work.
View Quote

lol.     true.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#21]

work OK for me.  i've killed lots of pigeons with them but they've got to be head shots
View All Quotes

The shotshells have pretty limited range. Maybe 5 yards, not much more than that.   I use them to kill the carpenter bees.   They have been really bad the past several days.   I managed to hit about 8 on Saturday.    They were just as many back on Sunday.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
View Quote
LOL yes.  They tear them down., the little assholes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By sparkyfender2:

I put up two different kinds of reflective streamers. After a day they lost their fear and just flew under them. Waste of time and money. I then put up netting, they just tore holes in it.

Bought an air rifle, but they fly about all panicky when I approach my garage, and are almost impossible to hit.
View Quote

12 gauge, #8 steel birdshot, walk backward toward shed, they will "pull" from behidn you over your head.

Bonus points if you use a mag fed semi auto...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By extractr:

www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJFCDTK

www.amazon.com/dp/B01APG0VUC
View Quote
Thank you kind Sir.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:53:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARMinnesota] [#25]
Originally Posted By extractr:

www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJFCDTK

www.amazon.com/dp/B01APG0VUC
View Quote

Walmart has the same price. I got my .22 Mach 1 this weekend. Cant wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:04:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#28]
You don’t need a magnum springer to kill starlings. You can do it with a regular Daisy BB gun, and it will be much quieter. I would get a daisy Avanti BB gun to do the job. It’s much easier to know where your BBs are going to impact, and a magnum springer airgun sounds like a high-powered rifle in comparison.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:59:44 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Rifled barrel and no choke.  The pattern with those is so big, and the shot is so small, you'd have better success throwing rocks.  They're okay for butterflies, if you can get close enough.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't underestimate the intelligence of Starlings.

You shoot one, and you won't be able to step outside with your pellet rifle without them scattering.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By ske714:

Rifled barrel and no choke.  The pattern with those is so big, and the shot is so small, you'd have better success throwing rocks.  They're okay for butterflies, if you can get close enough.
View Quote

My great grandfather used to have a smooth bore .22 rimfire for shotshells.
My dad says they used to be a thing years ago, and they had competitions similar to trap shooting.
(obviously smaller targets, and closer range)

I thought that would be pretty cool, but I guess smooth bore rimfires would be illegal today.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Kill everyone I see.  CZ 452 and a suppressor.  I also use Conley entrances on my gourds.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:10:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: michigan66] [#33]
This has worked for me.
RUGER IMPACT MAX ELITE .22 CALIBER
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

My dad says they used to be a thing years ago, and they had competitions similar to trap shooting.

I thought that would be pretty cool, but I guess smooth bore rimfires would be illegal today.
View All Quotes

I've heard of those, but never seen one.  I'll bet they were fun.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Might I suggest a cheap bolt action .22 and aguila colibri or super colibri for ammo.  The colibri is about 420-450fps out of a 16" barrel and the super colibri is about 600fps. This makes it makes it dead quiet in a bolt action rifle. I shoot squirrels with colibri and the click of the trigger/hammer is significantly louder then the report out the barrel.  In fact, even without a suppressor, there is basically no report whatsoever.  Shooting colibri out of a bolt action is literally as quiet as a pellet gun.

With a .22 bolt action and colibri you get slow, safe projectile speed but no need to pump up a pellet gun, or buy compressors and shit like a PCP.  And .22 bolt actions are cheap. Here is a Rossi .22 bolt action for $160. It holds 10 rounds and has a 3/8 dovetail optic rail.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/rossi-rb22-22lr-bolt-action-rifle-blk-rb22l1811.html

and Aguila Colibri info: https://www.aguilaammo.com/products/22-colibr-i-long-rifle-subsonic-powderless-lead-bullet
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I was waiting for him to suddenly ring their necks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Whatever cheap Crosman gas piston gun Wally's has in .22.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#39]
At what distance OP ?
25-30 yards and the Umarex Trevox will send a GAMO Lethal 5.56gr pellet right through one of those birds.
Nitro piston break barrel with a suppressor and will send that pellet at 800+fps.
11mm Weaver cut in to it too, I may or may not put a Red Dot on mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Unless you are in it just for  trigger time a starling funnel trap is much more effective.  The one I've built in the past was 48" high, 5' long and 48" wide.  It's an easy way to kill hundreds.

How to Make a Starling Funnel Trap 2023
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:36:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AdLucem] [#41]

View All Quotes

Don't know your budget

Henry still makes the 22 cal smoothbore "garden gun"

you need to be close.

This is quiet and deadly accurate and you can buy them and have them shipped from abroad at significant discounts Weihrauch HW97 they run about $700 in the US

Krale $521

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Birds aren't real. They're .gov spy drones and will record as you shoot at them. Soon to be followed by your door crashing in at 5AM and your dog being shot. Tread carefully.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#44]
No scope needed, I got an old Daisy Powerline 35, still does the trick after 16 years or so of regular use.

The damn things use to mob Grandpa's farm every year in late summer, them and sparrows and red-tipped blackbirds, swarms so huge they covered the sky from horizon to horizon. We used 'em for practice for the upcoming dove season every year, Grandpa was super happy for us to go blasting in the fields. It wasn't so much how many we actually dropped, it was the blasts were a good deterrent and would run off a huge flock that had descended to feast.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mike103:
Marlin made a bolt action 22 mag smooth bore garden gun. CCI makes the ammo for it.
View Quote

Got an e-mail that Henry is making one now, smooth bore lever action. Looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
Starling trivia;

All the European Starlings in North America descended from 100 birds set loose in New York's Central Park in the early 1890s by a man named Eugene Schieffelin.

View Quote

What round for Eugene Schieffeln?

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:24:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I am having an issue with robins trying to nest on my patio light.  Fake owl and streamer of old CD's does nothing for robins.  Over the weekend I propped up two empty soda cans on top of the lights and the robins only tried to land once and sound/sight of the can falling scared them away.  I have them tied to the lights now.  Robins like to make a quick nest to lay eggs this time of year then vanish after the babies are out.  The fake owl and CD's do seem to scare everything else away (except for the stray cats and squirrels).  My dog is not very good about scaring ground critters.  He is frighten of bumble bees.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Ted's Holdover on youtube has some neat videos.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top