Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2024 9:50:37 AM EDT

Southwest Airlines said Thursday it will slash 2,000 jobs and close operations at four airports after warning of higher costs and slower revenue growth because of a drop in new aircraft deliveries from Boeing.
Southwest plans to stop flying to Syracuse, NY; Cozumel, Mexico; Bellingham, Wash., and George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston, where the airline's major operation is at smaller Hobby Airport.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/25/business/southwest-airlines-to-end-service-at-four-airports-fire-2000-employees/
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Shame, was yet another way of getting to IAH from up here.

Remember when SWA/WN first got their start in 1971, at IAH using a Delta gate.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, Southwest does know when to pull out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:59:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe bumping customers to provide free 2nd seats to land whales aint such a good idea?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Cozumel is the only surprise there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]
They've exited IAH before. I don't know why they went back. The northsiders just have to drive across Houston to get to Hobby.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#7]
wanna get away?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
It's Boeingnomics.  Although JB hasn't improve conditions.

View Quote

Yep, delay of the MAX 7 while retiring older models.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Have Bob call me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By terryj:
They've exited IAH before. I don't know why they went back. The northsiders just have to drive across Houston to get to Hobby.
View Quote

Hobby is for the poors. I’ll take IAH.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#11]
On the bright side, this means less tourism to Mexico. Which is good because fuck Mexico!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#12]
They wont admit it but this has more to do with their policies than bidenomics. I used to fly SW a lot.  

It was clean, friendly, value priced, you could earn rewards quickly, and their was an understood social standard among passengers.

All of that has gone away and SW is half a tier above (but on their way to) Spirit and Frontier level flying.

An aging fleet, pricing is still somewhat ok, rewards programs have changed for the worse, and the experience is overall terrible with everyone cutting in line, acting like assholes, bumping passengers, etc.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MattyMattel:
Shame, was yet another way of getting to IAH from up here.

Remember when SWA/WN first got their start in 1971, at IAH using a Delta gate.
View Quote
Will the hotpants come back?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
On the bright side, this means less tourism to Mexico. Which is good because fuck Mexico!
View Quote

Just fly to Cancun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Best economy ever.

82 million voters can’t be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone read the article? Its more of Boeings ability to produce planes then the economy. You could argue that Boeing and DEI fucked up because of the Dems.

We recently took 4 southwest flights last week and only 1 was a newer plane. I did feel a bit safer on the older shit
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#17]
The Bureau of Labor Statistics will release a report where they show a 300,000 jobs growth
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By twistedcomrade:
View Quote

Any blows to their economy just means more waves of invaders headed North.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#19]
It's Boeingnomics.  Although JB hasn't improved conditions.

View Quote

Globalist economics. Boeing basically decided they are a finance company, not an engineering company, and no longer know how to truly build airplanes.  They have almost entirely forgotten how to design new aircraft since they decided to just modify the 737 design at this point.  They kinda know how to assemble them.

Their suppliers know how to build airplanes, but not cost effectively for the schedule and quality levels that are demanded for the business.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#20]
It's Boeingnomics.  Although JB hasn't improved conditions.

View Quote

Yep. Boeing’s problem is that they’ve been taken over by corporate culture MBA types, who’s only motivation is to produce value for the shareholder and only see ones and zeros. They have failed in their vision of the narrow body market and have become stuck with a dinosaur (737) as their premier aircraft. Realizing they were about to be left in the dust by the Airbus 319/329/321 series, they had to force the MAX 8/9/10. Management pushed, pushed, pushed the production line so they didn’t fall behind, even when guys on the line were saying “slow down!” They’ve proven to not be up to the task, as they can’t do ANYTHING right. The 787 operationally has been great but is plagued with production problems, the KC46 was/is a disaster, and we all know the reputation of the MAX (which Southwest bears a lot of blame for too).

I mean, I’ve flown the MAX a fair amount, and I actually very much prefer it over the NG, but I can’t wait to get back to the airbus. If my airline had the A220, I’d be all over it. That thing is like a Tesla space ship and makes everything else look stupid.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Boeing today is a shadow of it's former self. I have been here on ARFCOM for many years, and everything the ARFCOMmers has been saying ~10 years ago has come to fruition; no surprise here, those folks have been spot on. Back then they were firing the people who knew what they were doing because they were paid too much, and today Boeing ended up with 737 Max debacle.

Yeas ago, back when Boeing could be counted on to do self-policing, but today when they are run by MBA people who don't know the difference between a buttstock and a hole ground, things are way different.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Delta Airbuses ftw
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if they will keep pushing DEI
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I have always loved SWA but the last few flights have not been pleasant.   You pretty much have to pay for early boarding now if you want any chance of sitting with your family or whoever you are flying with.   The last flights we have checked in immediately when it became available and were still stuck in group C with only single seats in the back of the plane available.   Being 6' and getting stuck in the middle sucks.  

I used to be ok with paying more to fly SWA over AA but not anymore.   Now if the price is close I am going AA.   Biggest negative with that is having to go to DFW over Love Field.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Shazbat:
Cozumel is the only surprise there.
View Quote
There are probably no workers left in Cozumel, restaurant staff, hotels, airlines, etc.  All them fuckers are now in the US getting free shit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top