Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Globalism ruined the US
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:

Are these Koreans ship builders?

I have worked in this industry for years and have crawled all through foreign built ships, I know what kind of quality is out there.  I will simply say other countries have far outpaced the US, we are so far behind it will be hard to ever catch up.

Now I will sit back and watch all the arfcom experts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By glimmerman68:
The Koreans I work with can barely run a welder, they can't run a mill or lathe. Do you really expect me to believe Koreans can get shipyard running  

Are these Koreans ship builders?

I have worked in this industry for years and have crawled all through foreign built ships, I know what kind of quality is out there.  I will simply say other countries have far outpaced the US, we are so far behind it will be hard to ever catch up.

Now I will sit back and watch all the arfcom experts.
Yeah, that was my take.

The South Koreans are in the top 3 globally for tonnage built per year. We are barely a blip.

You don't get good at something by not doing it, and conversely you generally don't suck at a thing you do all the time.

If we wish to remain a relevant naval power in the future, we have to find a way to return to commercial domestic ship building so that we have deep pools of talent and technical expertise to draw from when it comes time to spool up for war.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]

A lot can be blamed on unions and corrupt industrial complex.  Even the Philly shipyard isn't what it used to be, it is now owned by the Norwegian firm, Aker.  We haven't invested in ship building in decades and what we do build is shit.  It takes a long time to work the bugs out and even then, sometimes the ships are just laid up permanently cause they don't work.

Just think, in 1944 our shipyards could turn out a liberty ship in just 42 days.
View Quote

The boats being built today are SLIGHTLY more complex than a liberty ship.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:

The boats being built today are SLIGHTLY more complex than a liberty ship.
View Quote

I of all people know this, I was making a point.  Hand the schematics of a Liberty ship to one of our yards today and even with better, more modern equipment they couldn't come close to building one in a month, 6 months or even 12 months.  
We have lost so much industrial manufacturing/knowledge in the maritime sector, I don't see us ever getting it back.  As the other poster stated, even ships being "built" here in the US are getting help from overseas.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Haub:

Pretty sure Hyundai has their own metal foundries and forging factories. So basically its all done "in house".  Automotive, marine, industrial equipment, outside buyers etc.
View Quote
Japanese and Korean industrial companies are famously vertically integrated. They often make all the major components in house across very large organizations.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:23:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762xIAN] [#6]
Originally Posted By glimmerman68:
The Koreans I work with can barely run a welder, they can't run a mill or lathe. Do you really expect me to believe Koreans can get shipyard running  

View Quote

What are you even talking about? South Korean heavy industry is probably better right now than Japan's. Let alone S.Korea has a shipbuilding industry.

The Korean engineers seemed pretty capable at the many pumps they built/supplied for my last power plant construction project. Not talking sump pumps here, but our 1500 HP high pressure boiler feed pumps.

Oh wait, is it because of the small stature and slanty eyes?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
If you want to serve your country right now but don't want to join the military? Learn to weld. Seriously,  our shipyards desperately need skilled welders right now. Great pay as well.
View Quote
define "great pay" for the class, please.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Eastcoast welders get ridiculous pay. Back when I living in Pennsylvania, welders in Pittsburgh were easily making 60-80 dollars an hours. That was like 2011 money.
View Quote
i saw that documentary.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By midcap:

Yeah I really have no idea why TF they started shit with Russia TBH.
View Quote

Someone from the US visited Russia and convinced them that Germany was prepared to move on Russia. Russia moved to defend and then Germany was convinced Russia was prepared to move on Germany. They had to get it on. This may not be 100% as I am remembering from years ago but that is the jest of it .
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By hp6:
I would like to know the details of how they can do this.  Why do we have problems with getting materials and they dont?

During his recent Sea Air Space speech, Del Toro further praised South Korea and commended Japan, saying both Pacific allies could build high-quality ships on time, on budget, and often at a fraction of the cost.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?b=1&f=5&t=2721836&tl=South-Korean-shipbuilder-to-assist-Philly-shipyard&r=&page=1
View Quote

They produce more steel for ships than we do, since we build 1-2 merchant ships a year and they build 1-2 a day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to serve your country right now but don't want to join the military? Learn to weld. Seriously,  our shipyards desperately need skilled welders right now. Great pay as well.
View Quote

Brenner Tank in Wisconsin has been advertising forever looking for Welders. $26/hr. They tried farming out work to Mexico who fucked all kinds of stuff up. Robots didn't save there ass either. Heaven forbid you pay a real wage to craftsman producing a quality product.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ruin:

Modern naval ships are far more complex in 2024 than 1943. It’s also worth noting you chose to use ‘44 as an example and not ‘41.

Marines on Guadalcanal were mostly armed with 1903’s because the M1 was unobtanium. US production for most anything at the start of the war was absolutely not what it was in ‘44.
View Quote

If you want to use the WWII analogy of the world's greatest industrial power turning to military production and outproducing everyone else you should consider that, today, that would be China, not us.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By HIMARS13A:

If you want to use the WWII analogy of the world's greatest industrial power turning to military production and outproducing everyone else you should consider that, today, that would be China, not us.
View Quote

Yeah, the idea that we could ramp production up quickly in an emergency is laughable.
The war will be long over before they finish the environmental impact statement to build a new shipyard.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Shadowgrouse:

Yeah, the idea that we could ramp production up quickly in an emergency is laughable.
The war will be long over before they finish the environmental impact statement to build a new shipyard.
View Quote

I would expect a scramble to catch up that involved suspending a lot of regs, but it won't matter. Getting production lined up takes a long time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Arfcom acts as if nothing notable took place in WW2 until 1944 when the U.S. really started whipping some ass. It took between 6-12 months to repair some of the ships after Pearl Harbor; I’m sure our modern fleet would take awhile as well.

The Pacific Theater was a fucking mess. We lost a series of battles and territory as Japan raced across the ocean. Our Aircraft Carrier operations were a learning process and our planes often outmatched by Japanese aircraft. Its good the USN made a deal with Korean Ship builders, the first island chain isn’t too close to Philly.
View Quote

We don't have teh salvage capability that we did in 1941-1942. We wouldn't be able to refloat all those ships today.

Look at the bridge in Baltimore and how long that is going to take.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Modern naval ships are far more complex in 2024 than 1943. It’s also worth noting you chose to use ‘44 as an example and not ‘41.

Marines on Guadalcanal were mostly armed with 1903’s because the M1 was unobtanium. US production for most anything at the start of the war was absolutely not what it was in ‘44.
View Quote

Marines used the 03s because they wanted to. They decided later to switch to the M1.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cone256:
Globalism ruined the US
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Yet they can’t make anything of quality or substance, ever. Mass producing absolute garbage creates problems for us but I don’t think it’s “the” deciding factor.

This Great Power Competition stuff is great to prepare for but I don’t think we’re taking into account for the low quality China is infamous for. We spent decades fretting about the Bear; now look at them.

The only thing China is good at is theft of IP which they can’t even duplicate when compared to the original source. Alternatively, maybe you’re spot on and we lose.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Yet they can’t make anything of quality or substance, ever. Mass producing absolute garbage creates problems for us but I don’t think it’s “the” deciding factor.

This Great Power Competition stuff is great to prepare for but I don’t think we’re taking into account for the low quality China is infamous for. We spent decades fretting about the Bear; now look at them.

The only thing China is good at is theft of IP which they can’t even duplicate when compared to the original source. Alternatively, maybe you’re spot on and we lose.
View Quote

Every manufacturer I've known that sourced a part from the Chinese said they can build things just as well as Americans. They do it for the prototype that they send to get your order, and then they cut every corner they can find.

But what if they don't cut those corners on their own production?

They are building more ships and munitions than we are, by a lot, and they have more civilian capacity that they can switch over if they need to.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:

Marines used the 03s because they wanted to. They decided later to switch to the M1.
View Quote

Interesting, appreciate the correction.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USCG_CPO] [#21]

View Quote

Have you ever been to a Chinese shipyard? Have you ever inspected from keel to bridge, bow to stern a commercially produced Chinese vessel?
They build some of the best commercial ships in the world comparable to anything South Korea, Japan, Germany, etc. builds.  Multi-billion dollar companies like Maersk, NYK, CMA CGM, MOL, etc., are not in the habit of buying shitty, poor-quality ships.
It might hurt our American pride, but China builds fantastic commercial ships. The top three builders in the world are China, Japan, and South Korea.

Something that is probably overlooked by people who don’t work in the Maritime industry is the fact that all of these foreign built ships go through a very strenuous inspection process. The Coast Guard has offices overseas in Asia and Europe, solely for the purpose of inspecting these foreign vessels. The flag states that register these vessels also inspect them. Countries have a classification societies that inspect the ships and for the big-name charterers, they have their own strenuous inspection process. I’m just putting this out there for those who are not familiar with shipbuilding in foreign countries, no matter what you might think about that country, they are not building garbage vessels, at least not for the commercial market.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
Yeah, that was my take.

The South Koreans are in the top 3 globally for tonnage built per year. We are barely a blip.

You don't get good at something by not doing it, and conversely you generally don't suck at a thing you do all the time.

If we wish to remain a relevant naval power in the future, we have to find a way to return to commercial domestic ship building so that we have deep pools of talent and technical expertise to draw from when it comes time to spool up for war.
View Quote
Yeah, Don't discount Korean and Japanese manufacturing. They make good stuff.   In my world it's machine tools, I'd take either countries offerings over the average German stuff.  Not that it isn't capable but it seems every German engineer is trying to impress the other German engineers with needless complexity.

Japan and Korea really have a handle on the fundamentals, I'd expect that to carry into shipbuilding as well.

The Chinese are also capable if not consistent
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#23]
So, the Koreans are going to learn union thug tactics and how to make their union bosses rich?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#24]

A lot can be blamed on unions and corrupt industrial complex.  Even the Philly shipyard isn't what it used to be, it is now owned by the Norwegian firm, Aker.  We haven't invested in ship building in decades and what we do build is shit.  It takes a long time to work the bugs out and even then, sometimes the ships are just laid up permanently cause they don't work.

Just think, in 1944 our shipyards could turn out a liberty ship in just 42 days.
View Quote

4-10 days in some of the western shipyards
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By sakohntr:

Brenner Tank in Wisconsin has been advertising forever looking for Welders. $26/hr. They tried farming out work to Mexico who fucked all kinds of stuff up. Robots didn't save there ass either. Heaven forbid you pay a real wage to craftsman producing a quality product.
View Quote

$26/hr? That’s fuck you money. Really—FUCK YOU!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:20:41 AM EDT
[#26]
HHI is a top notch shipyard company. They built several FPSOs for us.
Very organized and schedule oriented.
They are deep into the LNG carrier business now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#27]

I would expect a scramble to catch up that involved suspending a lot of regs, but it won't matter. Getting production lined up takes a long time.
View Quote

The environmental whackos will still keep things tied up in courts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

They get to $50 an hour I'll consider it. $26 is $52,000 a year......
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

Boomers, eh?

Show your proof, or STFU.

View Quote
well that escalated quickly
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AeroE:

That is likely to become my response to every comment I see about boomers.

Except when the first word is boomers, then I'll post something like, "that's the signal you have nothing worth reading".

View Quote
Just don't reflexively shit on guys talking about missile subs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AA717driver:

ULINE is flying a warehouse material handler job locally that starts at $25 with decent benefits from what I’ve seen.  I had to send it to my bosses when they asked why we’re were having trouble hiring people.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:
The S Korean qc guys reaction when they show up

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/horror-233.jpg
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#35]

China's shipyards are heavily subsidized. They can out compete everyone when their govt gives them a blank check.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lil_Sig:

But arf said that the US ships were far superior to China's floating targets?

China's shipyards are heavily subsidized. They can out compete everyone when their govt gives them a blank check.

And do tell, who pays for the US shipyards?  Have you seen the US military budget lately?

US military budget: 825 billion for fiscal year 2024.

Chinese military budget: 224 billion 2023 fiscal year.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By delemorte:

And do tell, who pays for the US shipyards?  Have you seen the US military budget lately?

View Quote
The entire chinese economy is essentially subsidized.  So it's tough to draw a direct comparison...although deficit spending is basically similar here...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:36:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By xd341:
well that escalated quickly
View Quote

There is absolutely zero reasons in the world why the screeching retards need to derail every fucking thread.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By NEXT23:

They get to $50 an hour I'll consider it. $26 is $52,000 a year......
View Quote

Especially with the California $20.00 hour minimum wage just for being a mouth breather vs a welder which has training and OTJ experience.

Any welder won't get out of bed for $26.00 hour.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#39]
The entire chinese economy is essentially subsidized.  So it's tough to draw a direct comparison...although deficit spending is basically similar here...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delemorte:

USA . How much do you think the US Air Force is paying for that bag of ball bearings?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By KiloBravo:
But, but, but …Unions …
View Quote

Continuing to hamstring this country per usual.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#41]
We even had a Russian built ship in our Naval logistics fleet until recently. Our shipyards are in sad shape.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Pretty sure Hyundai has their own metal foundries and forging factories. So basically its all done "in house".  Automotive, marine, industrial equipment, outside buyers etc.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hp6:
I would like to know the details of how they can do this.  Why do we have problems with getting materials and they dont?

During his recent Sea Air Space speech, Del Toro further praised South Korea and commended Japan, saying both Pacific allies could build high-quality ships on time, on budget, and often at a fraction of the cost.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?b=1&f=5&t=2721836&tl=South-Korean-shipbuilder-to-assist-Philly-shipyard&r=&page=1

I read somewhere when Hyundai first started importing cars to the US that the only part of their cars that wasn't made in a Hyundai plant was the diaphragm for the mechanical fuel pumps. No idea if that was true but they are a huge conglomerate and are into multiple industries.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#43]

We don't have teh salvage capability that we did in 1941-1942. We wouldn't be able to refloat all those ships today.

View All Quotes

Arfcom acts as if nothing notable took place in WW2 until 1944 when the U.S. really started whipping some ass. It took between 6-12 months to repair some of the ships after Pearl Harbor; I'm sure our modern fleet would take awhile as well.

The Pacific Theater was a fucking mess. We lost a series of battles and territory as Japan raced across the ocean. Our Aircraft Carrier operations were a learning process and our planes often outmatched by Japanese aircraft. Its good the USN made a deal with Korean Ship builders, the first island chain isn't too close to Philly.

Everyone forgets that the naval buildup that won the Pacific War was started in the late 1930s, almost every capital ship that fought was ordered and laid down before we entered.

The people currently building warships like that ain't us.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I think this is a bad idea. So close to Commie hackers and drones
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:08:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By midcap:

Yeah I really have no idea why TF they started shit with Russia TBH.
View Quote

Because that was the entire cornerstone of their leader’s plan for Germany? He even wrote a fucking book.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top