Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Too many old people on here that don't remember what it was like being mid 20s and busy as hell with school/work and saying to just cut the kid off and other mean shit.

I see a lot of threads on here by guys saying they no longer have a relationship or contact with their "asshole kids".....wonder why
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mech2007:
My son is 25 and in his last semester of college. I wouldn't think of asking him to help with anything now that it's Finals week.

We've been paying most of his bills but he has his own apartment starting next weekend and graduates two weeks after that and starts his job in September. When he starts his job he begins paying his own Healthcare and car insurance. He'll be footing his apartment rent on his own. We've been paying his college as a 0% loan. He got his Bachelors degrees debt free.

My point is, each kid and situation are different. You can get opinions here, but bottom line is that you'll have to trust your gut.
View Quote
My gut is that he's an immature young adult but is doing pretty well.  He can help us but probably won't.  I'm still on the fence about the car insurance.  I will probably stick to my commitment of paying it for him as I did with his siblings and step siblings.  the right thing is always the right thing and I did tell him that I would pay for his insurance until he graduates (probably a few months afterwards, though he has a great work ethics outside of the family and will probably have good job prospects after graduation.)
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve seen enough of your posts to automatically think your son is in the right.

You could pay a guy 100 bucks to help but instead are creating family drama. Sounds smart.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HecklerKac] [#4]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

This is part of the problem.  25 years old is well past the time for complete financial independence.

Time for him to be an adult.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
Originally Posted By MrMackey:
You pay the bills for a 25 year old? Jesus.

This is part of the problem.  25 years old is well past the time for complete financial independence.

Time for him to be an adult.

The guy is in school and works full time. Shit is way more expensive than it was even a couple years ago....nothing wrong with helping your kids. So many on here are out of touch with reality lmao
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WDEagle:

I've learned that one of the easiest ways to get disappointed in life is to expect others to think and do exactly as you do.  You are almost guaranteed to be disappointed.  That is what you are doing in this situation.

Your son did not feel the obligation or need to help you out.  That's just him.   Wanting him to do or act differently is just not going to happen at this point in his life.  I agree with you that he should gladly help (after finals) but he is the one with the ultimate say in this.   That plus your problem (roof) is not his as he did not sign up to maintain rental property, you did.

I know most won't agree with me on this parts but ...
Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WDEagle:
Originally Posted By QueenDeNile:
Thank you, I do think you're right.  He comes by all of the time (spends a few weekends a month with me just to visit) so I don't feel like I'm asking too much of him but I think he has had a good role modeling of helping his family.  He is young and obstinate at the moment.

I've learned that one of the easiest ways to get disappointed in life is to expect others to think and do exactly as you do.  You are almost guaranteed to be disappointed.  That is what you are doing in this situation.

Your son did not feel the obligation or need to help you out.  That's just him.   Wanting him to do or act differently is just not going to happen at this point in his life.  I agree with you that he should gladly help (after finals) but he is the one with the ultimate say in this.   That plus your problem (roof) is not his as he did not sign up to maintain rental property, you did.

I know most won't agree with me on this parts but ...
Click To View Spoiler
I don't disagree with you.  It's a knee jerk reaction to stop his insurance.  I did make a commitment to pay his insurance (as I did with his siblings.) You are right that I expect his help. It is disrepectful to my husband who does an awful lot for him (which my son does acknowledge).  Just to be super clear he will be done with school when we fix the roof.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Michaelson:

@QueenDeNile

If he works and goes to school AND is in finals week AND lives an hour away, it seems unreasonable to expect him to come patch a roof during all that.

Have husband grab a buddy or have a roofer patch the roof. This isn't the hill to fight this particular battle.

That said, I was an inconsiderate shithead in my younger years and it took me until my 30's for my perspective to shift from "Independent as fuck and doing my own thing"  and toward a more family centric mindset. I'm glad my grandparents had patience with me.

Keep him close and don't let small stuff separate y'all. Fighting unnecessary fights could end up in a long period of not talking, eapecially if pride gets involved.

View All Quotes
Hey lookin for advice.  My son 25 is in the throws of finals week (will get done with finals Thursday.) I have asked him come help my husband patch the roof on our rental property and he is basically saying FU he doesn't want to help.  Little background info:  My husband is injured (work injury, shoulder-still fighting with the railroad as to what to do about it). Our rental house's roof leaks, husband just needs help from my sons to lift the stuff up onto the roof.  Probably only take a couple of hours.  

My husband (son's step father) provides him with his insurance and we pay his car insurance.  I also think kids should help their parents.  My son has a history of saying FU when asked to help.  In fairness he doesn't ask us for any help.  We provided insurance for our other kids when they were in college.  I do know he appreciates the health insurance.  I think he often forgets about his car insurance.

Two years ago my husband injured his shoulder at work and was out of work for 10 months. He also wasn't paid so I had to work two jobs and at the time cooked and did all the housework.  I asked my son (who was living with us at the time) to help out more and he moved out (he was very angry that I would even ask.)  I accept responsibility for my part in his creation.  He grew up watching his dad care for his parents (he took care of both his parents--though he always acted like his mother was an idiot) and he watched me care for my grandfather.  He is just selfish and inconsiderate.

How would you handle this.  My gut is to drop him off our car insurance.  It doesn't cost us anymore to have him on our healthcare (my husband's benefits-not mine.) I don't see him changing - just being pissed off at it.  

TLDR: son won't help us

@QueenDeNile

If he works and goes to school AND is in finals week AND lives an hour away, it seems unreasonable to expect him to come patch a roof during all that.

Have husband grab a buddy or have a roofer patch the roof. This isn't the hill to fight this particular battle.

That said, I was an inconsiderate shithead in my younger years and it took me until my 30's for my perspective to shift from "Independent as fuck and doing my own thing"  and toward a more family centric mindset. I'm glad my grandparents had patience with me.

Keep him close and don't let small stuff separate y'all. Fighting unnecessary fights could end up in a long period of not talking, eapecially if pride gets involved.

This is the best post in the thread
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It's after his finals. He doesn't have any excuse. Stop paying for anything that you're paying for. The man-child needs to learn a lesson.

My parents asked me to do anything I would be there. And always was.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Expectation is the mother of disappointment.

At some level you just need to handle shit.  In this case, hire some help so hubby doesn't fuck up his arm worse.  Let the issue with the kid go.  If you need the cash for hiring some help, quit providing the insurance.  Keep an open mind, and let go of the expectations.  Keeping in mind that the healthiest attitude focuses on what YOU can do, and that you can only change YOU and how YOU do things.........that's probably the lowest stress and most mature way to handle it on your end.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By G3k:
I've seen enough of your posts to automatically think your son is in the right.

You could pay a guy 100 bucks to help but instead are creating family drama. Sounds smart.
View Quote
Boy that's a load.  Thanks.  Not that I can influence you but my main concern is raising a good man.  I believe a good man helps his parents when possible.  If you think that's too much to ask, so be it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
You need to pee on him to establish dominance and show him who is boss.
View Quote

I've seen similar documentaries.  would recommend.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TheKill:
Expectation is the mother of disappointment.

View Quote

More succinct way of saying what I posted above.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
If you are asking him to help in the middle of finals- that’s insane.

If you are asking him to help when finals are over-
That would be a reasonable expectation.
View Quote

I’m going with this^^^^
He’s got stuff on his mind. But it sounds like he’s been a turd when he’s asked to help. I’m not sure what you can do in the meantime. Do you have a church? Maybe find some friends there to help?  Neighbors?

But once he’s done with his finals I would let him know the free ride is over in 30-90 days or whatever you decide. Get your own insurance.. If he can’t lend a little hand, he doesn’t need your help either.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Let him study.  Don't hold his education and future hostage for some menial labor.

Jesus what an asshole thing to do.  

Is he your son or your employee?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The kid does not want to help and the husband if out on work injury should not be doing manual labor.  Son is 25 let him live his life, but let him know helping family is a two way street.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

Honestly I see this as an asshole's collide situation.  The son's reaction is just as shitty as the mother's thought that she has the right to his time/life.  Both of you are in the wrong here.

View Quote

Sounds more like its "step" thing.  And, likely your son does not think much of his step dad.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By sprtpilot:

Sounds more like its "step" thing.  And, likely your son does not think much of his step dad.
View All Quotes

Honestly I see this as an asshole's collide situation.  The son's reaction is just as shitty as the mother's thought that she has the right to his time/life.  Both of you are in the wrong here.

My son doesn't have a problem with his step dad.  I probably have an expectation problem.  I expect him to help out.  He would probably visit if I hadn't asked him to help us so it isn't a burden to him to come and help.  He just doesn't want to help.  He sees things differently than I do.  I drove home while I was in college to help my grandfather seed during hunting season.  I felt it was a family duty.  I probably have an extra gene there on that regards.  It was wrong of me to go back on my word of helping him with his insurance.  I can't make him want to help us.  I get that now (emphasis on now.).
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#19]
My son doesn't have a problem with his step dad.  I probably have an expectation problem.  I expect him to help out.  He would probably visit if I hadn't asked him to help us so it isn't a burden to him to come and help.  He just doesn't want to help.  He sees things differently than I do.  I drove home while I was in college to help my grandfather seed during hunting season.  I felt it was a family duty.  I probably have an extra gene there on that regards.  It was wrong of me to go back on my word of helping him with his insurance.  I can't make him want to help us.  I get that now (emphasis on now.).
View Quote
I think the biggest problem here is that you think it's your son and not you.  You're wrong, this is 99% you and 1% your son.

Your husband is hurt, how appropriate would it be if your son ask him to come over to help with moving or landscaping and then posted on the internet what an asshole he is if he doesn't?

It's not your son, it's the timing of the request.  It's you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd likely continue to pay both. Would likely let him take over car insurance thirty-sixty days after he graduates and stay on health insurance as long as it doesn't cost you anything extra.

If you promised to pay his car insurance before he graduates and cancel it now it could create tension you're likely to regret later. My oldest (step)daughter was in her late twenties before she really began to appreciate her situation when she was with us. Be the bigger person and maybe they will later realize how big a jerk they were.  You can shun them later if they don't mature. My dad died while I was young and if I could see him today I would thank him for everything he did for me, and apologize profusely for not showing appreciation at the time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#21]
When helping stops in one direction, it stops in both.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:28:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flynbenny] [#22]

View Quote

This. I don't know what his major is, but finals were rough in my major, like hardcore physical and psychological stress. If he's anything like me he'll welcome some physical labor to take his mind off it while awaiting the results afterwards.

Edit: he's an Aero Engineer, and straight A, and works, holy shit, he's got a lot on his plate. Be nice to him, he's going to take care of YOU one day with his yuge salary
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
He’s trying to finish his school and you want him to help with repairs on your side income stream?

Maybe he’s read the book boundaries by Dr Henry Cloud and waiting for you to read it too?

Leave him alone.
View Quote

This right here. Kick the entitled millennial off the car insurance, and set some boundaries.

Use the future savings realized from the lower insurance premiums to hire a professional to fix the leaky roof.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Union Pacific can be a bitch to its employees.  He was out of work for 10 months as he ruptured his bicep at work and it took 10 months of non use to heal.  He wasn't paid while he was off work.  Last fall we did get his pay in his medical settlement.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:
Hey lookin for advice.  My son 25 is in the throws of finals week (will get done with finals Thursday.) I have asked him come help my husband patch the roof on our rental property and he is basically saying FU he doesn't want to help.  Little background info:  My husband is injured (work injury, shoulder-still fighting with the railroad as to what to do about it). Our rental house's roof leaks, husband just needs help from my sons to lift the stuff up onto the roof.  Probably only take a couple of hours.  

My husband (son's step father) provides him with his insurance and we pay his car insurance.  I also think kids should help their parents.  My son has a history of saying FU when asked to help.  In fairness he doesn't ask us for any help.  We provided insurance for our other kids when they were in college.  I do know he appreciates the health insurance.  I think he often forgets about his car insurance.

Two years ago my husband injured his shoulder at work and was out of work for 10 months. He also wasn't paid so I had to work two jobs and at the time cooked and did all the housework.  I asked my son (who was living with us at the time) to help out more and he moved out (he was very angry that I would even ask.)  I accept responsibility for my part in his creation.  He grew up watching his dad care for his parents (he took care of both his parents--though he always acted like his mother was an idiot) and he watched me care for my grandfather.  He is just selfish and inconsiderate.

How would you handle this.  My gut is to drop him off our car insurance.  It doesn't cost us anymore to have him on our healthcare (my husband's benefits-not mine.) I don't see him changing - just being pissed off at it.  

does not compute ? He was working for railroad and was injured at work

That doesn't make sense
Union Pacific can be a bitch to its employees.  He was out of work for 10 months as he ruptured his bicep at work and it took 10 months of non use to heal.  He wasn't paid while he was off work.  Last fall we did get his pay in his medical settlement.

Workman’s Comp?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Rem700PSS:
I think the biggest problem here is that you think it's your son and not you.  You're wrong, this is 99% you and 1% your son.

Your husband is hurt, how appropriate would it be if your son ask him to come over to help with moving or landscaping and then posted on the internet what an asshole he is if he doesn't?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rem700PSS:

I guess I don't follow your logic. We asked him if he would help a few weeks ago and he said he couldn't because of finals. So we made the date (when he was present) after finals and now he has the excuse he wants to visit his sister. My son has asked my husband to help him (when he wasn't hurt) and my husband has (simple things welding, car maintenance) so I do feel our family dynamics is one of five and take.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

+2 or 3

That’s insane.  No, he should be focused on his finals.  

But you should also wean him off your auto insurance!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#27]
That makes sense. Let’s jeopardize our child’s future by asking him to take a day during finals to help with manual labor. It might be time your husband displays some maturity and hire out the work he can’t perform to preserve his own business asset.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By C-4:

Workman's Comp?
View Quote
He works for the railroad and Union Pacific handles the workman's comp. It's confusing and I don't understand it. He is allowed 30 days of light duty. He's been on light duty for 3 weeks. He needs an MIR but the RR hasn't approved of it. They are basically trying to get him to quit-which thankfully we will eventually outlast. It's a difficult company to work for.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bteamleader:
That makes sense. Let's jeopardize our child's future by asking him to take a day during finals to help with manual labor. It might be time your husband displays some maturity and hire out the work he can't perform to preserve his own business asset.

View Quote
Oh good lord-he will be done with school. I agree it would be unreasonable to consider during finals.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Tell him no problem. You’ll use the funds you’ve been paying for his stuff with to hire some help.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JohnfromHR:
.Finals more important than your roof.  If he won’t help after finals that’s a different issue. If your husband was injured at work at the railroad, how is that he’s able to do roofing?
View Quote

Probably with great difficulty. You've never worked hurt?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:44:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JaredC1] [#32]
Deleted. Never mind. Didn’t realize he wasn’t living at home.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

True. Having endured finals week during my undergraduate and graduate school years I must concur.

After the semester is fully completed, that's a different story. And I've had jobs both through college and grad school.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Thump_rrr:

He has a week left for finals.
That can be very stressful for many.
Have you asked if he could help the following weekend?
How about the other kids helping?
View Quote

This here.  If he is a serious student taking what you might say is a few hours out of his study is VERY stressful to a serious student.  From my experience when most anyone says a few hours it will end up as most of the day and he probably realizes that.  

I assume if he is 25 this is his doctorate which has been his goal for many years.  You may think this is no threat but he takes this as a life or death threat to the rest of his life.  I was an Electrical Engineering major and I graduated in the top couple percent in my class and that let me get the best, highest paying jobs right out of college. It made a HUGE difference in my life.

If you ask him to help the weekend AFTER finals and he doesn't willingly help then cut him loose!

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#35]
He doesn't ask you for help, yet you are helping in ways he doesn't appreciate.  I see it every day in that children these days have a sense of entitlement.  I hear it from the guys at work.  I overhear it in the grocery store.  You are not alone in this predicament.  

Ask him if he wants to start paying his way.  Does he work or just attend college?  

I say if he doesn't want to help, then he should look for new digs.  And for a 25 yoa to tell his parents, step or not, to fuck off would get some teeth knocked out in my house growing up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you, I do think you're right.  He comes by all of the time (spends a few weekends a month with me just to visit) so I don't feel like I'm asking too much of him but I think he has had a good role modeling of helping his family.  He is young and obstinate at the moment.
View All Quotes

@QueenDeNile

Keep him close and don't let small stuff separate y'all.

I am wrong then. All along I was under the impression he was living at home.

He has a right to tell you guys to kick rocks. He’s not free labor. If your rental isn’t making a profit enough to cover paying someone to fix roof then sell it.

The fact that you’re still paying his insurance is something entirely separate
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

You might not be able to drop him off your insurance. He is a relative and is presumed to have access to your vehicles. It could be tricky. Definitely run it by your agent. Has he always been like this or is he under the strain of of finals?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes

This isn't a judgment post but you said earlier you raised your kids to help their elderly parents.

If you did then this thread wouldn't have been started.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:

He has a right to tell you guys to kick rocks. He's not free labor. If your rental isn't making a profit enough to cover paying someone to fix roof then sell it.

The fact that you're still paying his insurance is something entirely separate
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JaredC1:

@QueenDeNile

Keep him close and don't let small stuff separate y'all.

He has a right to tell you guys to kick rocks. He's not free labor. If your rental isn't making a profit enough to cover paying someone to fix roof then sell it.

The fact that you're still paying his insurance is something entirely separate
I guess I sort of agree with you, he certainly does have the rights to tell us no and we are capable of doing it without him.  But I also believe in helping family.  I'm not morally obligated to help him (albeit only a little) with his education but I do so to the benefit of our family. ). Maybe I'm more communistic (not politically, just family.) but that's how I was raised and how I raised my kids.  It isn't a matter of money, it's a matter of showing respect to each other.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
Tell him to help or pay his own way. If he says FU then drop him.
View Quote

Agreed.  My oldest is alot younger,  but he has a cell phone and a gym membership.  Based on that alone, each month, he owes me. Not a dollar amount, but if I need help, he is helping.  

And being younger, I do have to remind him at times of these "extra" expenses.

So I would simply tell your son,  "we need help,  and we help you regularly, so either help us out, or yea,  the insurance is yours."

If he doesn't get it from there, then you know you tried.  Sometimes they need help opening their eyes on the obvious.

I always tell people, including my children, this family thing is a team effort.  We succeed together and we suffer together.  Let's help each other succeed, and not suffer.  Together that is 10x easier than going it alone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:57:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QueenDeNile] [#41]
Originally Posted By smarquez:

You might not be able to drop him off your insurance. He is a relative and is presumed to have access to your vehicles. It could be tricky. Definitely run it by your agent. Has he always been like this or is he under the strain of of finals?
View All Quotes

He's always been this way.  His brother and sister are 10 and 8 years older and they would do his work for him when he grumbled.  He doesn't like commitments, he's funny-he would help out if he was here and we needed help, but he doesn't like being obligated.  *ETA* I have reconsidered dropping his insurance, I made a commitment and I will not go back on it.  He bought his car outright but I'm a crowner so we can have him on our insurance.  It's his car, our policy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 3:58:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QueenDeNile] [#42]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

This isn't a judgment post but you said earlier you raised your kids to help their elderly parents.

If you did then this thread wouldn't have been started
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:

If you did then this thread wouldn't have been started
fair enough, I tried to raise him this way, and in fairness his brother and sister are this way.  He does check in on me, I"m nearly crippled so he knows it's hard and he checks in, which is more than enough.
@Dogsoldier03 that's exactly my thoughts.  We're team family.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I haven't asked anything of him since he moved out (summer of 22).  I do understand that he is under a lot of stress.  He gets straight As and I am very proud of the fact that he's fulfilling his dream and doing it debt free.  When he has visited I have asked him to help me a few times (get hay down from the barn-load the bag of dog food into the dog's feeder) but I would have managed myself had he not been here.
View Quote

Ooh, tactical error. You should have put some conditions on his moving back in since that was the reason he moved out in the first place. Clean up after himself, grab a broom or shovel once in a while. Whatever. Bottom line, I don't see him helping. It doesn't sound like it's in his DNA.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Ooh, tactical error. You should have put some conditions on his moving back in since that was the reason he moved out in the first place. Clean up after himself, grab a broom or shovel once in a while. Whatever. Bottom line, I don't see him helping. It doesn't sound like it's in his DNA.
View All Quotes
I haven't asked anything of him since he moved out (summer of 22).  I do understand that he is under a lot of stress.  He gets straight As and I am very proud of the fact that he's fulfilling his dream and doing it debt free.  When he has visited I have asked him to help me a few times (get hay down from the barn-load the bag of dog food into the dog's feeder) but I would have managed myself had he not been here.

He has his own apartment.  I probably left some details out in the OP.  I'll go check.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:08:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
Tell him to help or pay his own way. If he says FU then drop him.
View Quote

That is exactly what my parents would've done.

You don't want to help us? Then we're not going to help you. That's a 2-way street.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Boy that's a load.  Thanks.  Not that I can influence you but my main concern is raising a good man.  I believe a good man helps his parents when possible.  If you think that's too much to ask, so be it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By G3k:
I've seen enough of your posts to automatically think your son is in the right.

Growing up (1970's/80's) I always had to mow the yard. My sister is about 3 years younger.
I lived at home till 23 and always mowed the damn yard.
My sister ever have to mow the yard, even after I moved out? No.
That is some sexist shit.

I have two boys. They are 19 & 20 and I've never forced them to mow the yard. I mow the yard while they sleep or play video games.
Why?
Because I know if I had girls I would not make them mow the yard; I am not going to do the sexist shit that was done to me.

We did not have kids to owe us payback for raising them. I don't expect them to do chores for me after they move out when (if) they come by to visit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:28:46 PM EDT
[#48]
arfcom really needs a subforum for "toxic parents"

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Oh good lord-he will be done with school. I agree it would be unreasonable to consider during finals.
View Quote

Nobody reads anything, he agreed to help after finals, and has crawfished on that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#50]
If your husbands shoulder is screwed up, a roof and extension ladders is not where he should be.

Hire it out. It may be cheaper in the long run.

Us older folk don't heal back as well.

No advice on your kid, other than now you know who you can rely on. "You can't choose your relatives" works in mysterious ways.

Page / 6
Top Top