Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/29/2024 10:42:43 AM EDT
Got laid off last month so I have been trying to find a job. It has changed quite a bit.

-Tons of people from the tech companies have been dumped out on the street. Many of them are H1B visa people so the end result is that there is tons and tons of applicants for every job. I have seen tech jobs get anywhere from 100-2000 applications. Standing out in that pile of resumes is going to be tough.

-Indian recruiters are way, way out of control. It was bad before but its way worse now.

-Every job ad there is question about whether you are citizen or are going to require H1B visa sponsorship. This tells me that there are millions of these people in our country.

-Every time you apply to a job DEI is front and center. I have seen in the past the questions about race, ethnicity etc... but its way more prominent than it ever was before. On top of this most are asking questions about your "self identified" gender ie. are you a trans.

-There is a prominent section now about disabilities. IE. Are you disabled and they have a long list of things they classify as disabled. Are you disabled and they make you sign it and date it.

-Companies dont even bother answering you. I have seen this in the past, I used to refer to this as the drop dead letter. Now you dont even get that, they just ghost you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I.T seems to be over run with people wanting to work in it.  Almost like a decade or 2 of people who only know how to work on computers and sit in a chair.

The head cashier at Walmart could have figured this out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I identify as a tranny to get a 5 percent discount at AutoZone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#3]
It would be interesting to spin out a bunch of resumes with that stuff all over it.  Trans, super gay, some weird identity, etc.  maybe out that you are the leader of some gay group at your current job, leading the DEI and helping stamp out the patriarchal structures.  Would be a great way to troll
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#4]
those questions have been in hr (except trans) for at least 10 years if not longer.

as for trolling, you might get past hr to an actual interview, depending on the rest of your resume. but I doubt it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I just recently got a severance letter from my employer,  dated in about 90 days.  I'm aware of the ATS screening software that companies use now, and have not used an updated resume for a job search since this became a major issue.   When I ran through a few AI resume engines, the meta scores for my old resume was a 55% in Word format,  and much worse in pdf.  

Key industry lingo for action taken and verbiage is critical for getting through the screening software to get to a recruiter or HM.  This is a part of the process that frustrates uninformed job seekers.   Basically you aren't even being "seen" because scores from ATS automatically rule you out and reject you.  Use of recruiters is that they will serve as a broker to put you in front of hiring managers, for a fee usually depending on the arrangement.  

For me, I opted for a professional resume service that partners with LinkedIn.  It's somewhat expensive,  but it's an investment, like so many things.  For me, the discussion I had with them aligned with my own thoughts,  and that I could successfully go after senior level positions with my accomplishments.  The service I used offers revised LinkedIn details,  cover letter and a few other things as part of their packages.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve been following this as an employer.  It is crazy what these large companies are doing.  As a small business owner, I’m grabbing as many great people who want nothing to do with this woke DEI BS as possible.

My advice to folks job hunting is to look into small and medium sized businesses.  We actually appreciate our employees and don’t have massive HR departments using algorithms to sort resumes for them.  I still interview most new hires before final approval.  I’m the President and an owner.  If you’re interviewing with HR you not, it’s a soulless entity and I’d run!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#7]
IT hiring is in a weird place right now due to a glut of H1Bs desperate to find something else. They are applying to everything - absolutely everything.

Was talking to an old coworker the other day, and his work has about a dozen openings - all of them very niche positions requiring extensive experience with specific banking industry applications. These are firm / hard requirements and it's clearly stated as such on the listings.

He said they're getting a two dozen people each week who have none of the experience applying for every single opening. Indian and Chinese names. These openings are not posted on job sites, I can only imagine the glut hitting the stuff on Indeed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mark9000:
Got laid off last month so I have been trying to find a job. It has changed quite a bit.

-Tons of people from the tech companies have been dumped out on the street. Many of them are H1B visa people so the end result is that there is tons and tons of applicants for every job. I have seen tech jobs get anywhere from 100-2000 applications. Standing out in that pile of resumes is going to be tough.

-Indian recruiters are way, way out of control. It was bad before but its way worse now.

-Every job ad there is question about whether you are citizen or are going to require H1B visa sponsorship. This tells me that there are millions of these people in our country.

-Every time you apply to a job DEI is front and center. I have seen in the past the questions about race, ethnicity etc... but its way more prominent than it ever was before. On top of this most are asking questions about your "self identified" gender ie. are you a trans.

-There is a prominent section now about disabilities. IE. Are you disabled and they have a long list of things they classify as disabled. Are you disabled and they make you sign it and date it.

-Companies dont even bother answering you. I have seen this in the past, I used to refer to this as the drop dead letter. Now you dont even get that, they just ghost you.
View Quote

All of this has been my experience as well. As a white, native American male you and I are on the absolute bottom of the rung regardless of qualifications. Ghosting is now the norm.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Assuming OP is male, just say you are trans and were born female.  

If you look 100% male complete with beard and beer gut, complement your team of transition surgeons.  But you don’t want to discuss that more because talking about your transition is the same as dead naming you.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By esdunbar:
I’ve been following this as an employer.  It is crazy what these large companies are doing.  As a small business owner, I’m grabbing as many great people who want nothing to do with this woke DEI BS as possible.

My advice to folks job hunting is to look into small and medium sized businesses.  We actually appreciate our employees and don’t have massive HR departments using algorithms to sort resumes for them.  I still interview most new hires before final approval.  I’m the President and an owner.  If you’re interviewing with HR you not, it’s a soulless entity and I’d run!
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I have about had it with big companies and their nonsense.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]
They have a grace period to get a new job or get out.  Admittedly I don't know much about the H1B process, so when one leaves does another just immediately take their place?  What a clown show the US has become preferring foreigners to natural citizens.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#12]
We had a clean sweep of our HR/hiring department at the beginning of the year but the old group was getting awful and its lead to some terrible hirings in every department. We were down to only getting 15 minutes of technical discussion for senior level positions and then having to make a choice within a day. This lead to a lot of people being able to game keywords to get in and very little means to verify it all. Twice in January I was part of an onboarding call that very quickly turned into "So you claiming to know this was a lie" types of conversations. One of those employees is on his 6th 'last chance' to improve still because no one wants to go through the hiring process to replace him.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
They have a grace period to get a new job or get out.  Admittedly I don't know much about the H1B process, so when one leaves does another just immediately take their place?  What a clown show the US has become preferring foreigners to natural citizens.
View Quote

Some of the bigger companies are just cutting weight at this point, no replacements in mind. We are into "Last year didn't look so good to the investors, let's boost our graphs short term by cutting expenses" territory for a lot of the tech industry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
View Quote
That's my understanding-  they have a grace period to find employment with a new sponsor or they are gone.  

H1B is de facto indentured servitude.  The employee is beholden to their sponsor to stay, and they normally work for below market wages to be able to stay in the US.  My current manager is here on a management visa and I know I make substantially more than she does.  She attributes the legal process involved in the employer side of the process as part of the compensation for her job, which is true, but not so typically for H1B holders.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#15]
The disability and race stuff is driven by government contracts and is extremely common.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I think a lot of companies just leave job descriptions up for months without being serious about it... The recruiters are just trolling for an occasional unicorn candidate who is overqualified yet will work for peanuts.   It really doesn't cost anything to do this - unlike the old days when they had to pay for newspaper ads, etc.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fike:
The disability and race stuff is driven by government contracts and is extremely common.
View Quote

My favorite is "This information is not being provided to the hiring team".

Yeah right... you mean they don't have access to these 3 fields that are on the same web form as all the other stuff?

Just like 4473 and NICS data isn't saved either, right?

Sure.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Check back when you get to the place where you have to “voluntarily” input your sexual preference… but can’t proceed until you do.

I am not kidding.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By OBE1CanOB:
I.T seems to be over run with people wanting to work in it.  Almost like a decade or 2 of people who only know how to work on computers and sit in a chair.

The head cashier at Walmart could have figured this out.
View Quote

Peter zeinhan did a whole video on it
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:21:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamBoga] [#20]
Tech market is brutal right now.

But Gavin says it's great

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JimEb] [#21]
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
I think a lot of companies just leave job descriptions up for months without being serious about it...
View Quote

I thought this too and also may be a form of marketing data collection.  Just trolling to see if all of a sudden you get resumes from your competitor employees.  Clue that something is shaking over there.  Or you do that annoying anonymous company job listing to see if you got employees looking to bail.  Then play the salary game.  List the job salary range and see what type of applicants you get.

Lots of job market data can be derived from fake job postings.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By governmentman:
IT hiring is in a weird place right now due to a glut of H1Bs desperate to find something else. They are applying to everything - absolutely everything.

Was talking to an old coworker the other day, and his work has about a dozen openings - all of them very niche positions requiring extensive experience with specific banking industry applications. These are firm / hard requirements and it's clearly stated as such on the listings.

He said they're getting a two dozen people each week who have none of the experience applying for every single opening. Indian and Chinese names. These openings are not posted on job sites, I can only imagine the glut hitting the stuff on Indeed.
View Quote

H1B's are also famous for having amazingly robust resumes that are full of all the things they have never worked with, and cannot answer a single technical question about.

They throw shit against the wall until they get a terrible interviewer that they can hoodwink.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By fargo007:

H1B's are also famous for having amazingly robust resumes that are full of all the things they have never worked with, and cannot answer a single technical question about.

They throw shit against the wall until they get a terrible interviewer that they can hoodwink.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Actually its better than that - ethnic nepotism and blatant hookups.

Where I worked was probably 80-90% Indian. My Indian manager laid me off and told me my position was eliminated and than gave my  job to another Indian. Its all just coincidence....
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

The H1B visas have got to stop, that absolutely has completely destroyed the IT industry and quickly destroying the Medical industry. It’s clear to me in my job search positions are clearly spec’ed out for a H1B candidate.

Don’t hand me “it’s a free market” line of BS because it’s nowhere close “Free.” Anyone that’s worked with .Dot Indians know they’re extremely racist and tend to hire/promote other Indians. This has happened in many tech companies and conversely why many are running into the ground.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Technology is a commodity now, especially with the advent of the H1B visas. It was fun in the early years of the .com growth and all the creativity - it was challenging and fun without all the woke BS and hyper security (not denying high security is very important nowadays...).

Anyway - good luck I hope you find some thing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

I thought this too and also may be a form of marketing data collection.  Just trolling to see if all of a sudden you get resumes from your competitor employees.  Clue that something is shaking over there.  Or you do that annoying anonymous company job listing to see if you got employees looking to bail.  Then play the salary game.  List the job salary range and see what type of applicants you get.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
I think a lot of companies just leave job descriptions up for months without being serious about it...

They need to keep the recruiting department busy/employed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ricky_45:
It would be interesting to spin out a bunch of resumes with that stuff all over it.  Trans, super gay, some weird identity, etc.  maybe out that you are the leader of some gay group at your current job, leading the DEI and helping stamp out the patriarchal structures.  Would be a great way to troll
View Quote

i fully intend to claim hispanic (which is actually true, but i've never claimed it in the past) and probably trans woman on my next resume.
long hair, tall with beard....when they question me i'll get real serious and tell them that's very inappropriate.

...something, something, something, force them to play by their own rules...
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#28]
There are entire industries populated by people who won’t touch the woke BS with a 20 foot pole. If it involves heavy equipment in any way, you stand a very good chance of not seeing pronouns in email footers EVER. Go work for a family business. Be as honest as possible in your application and interview. If you lie about small things you’ll lie about big things and can’t be trusted.

I applied at a company in an industry where I had zero experience. I was shocked to get an interview and was completely forthcoming in case they’d misinterpreted something in my application. My honesty got me the job over another candidate they had lined up. They taught me what I needed to know and I took off running. I’ve been successful and they increased my salary 37% after about 2 years. These are my people. I’m never, ever going back to the corporate cancer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: governmentman] [#29]

View All Quotes

Yup, hilarious when they put together combinations that are completely absurd in the skills / work history.

Years ago we were looking for someone with admin experience for Ambit Optimist, a financial spreading / risk rating application. Completely banking specific program. I was one of two people still at the bank who knew anything about administration of that app, so they had me involved in interviews. Had several people who listed experience with it but their job history had zero potential places (based on industry) that might have ever used it. If they are coming from the healthcare sector, they wouldn't be using it - period. Wish I had been on the interviews themselves, but I did have the interviewers ask some very specific questions around that supposed experience and I was told they couldn't give a coherent answer to any of it.

Where I worked was probably 80-90% Indian. My Indian manager laid me off and told me my position was eliminated and than gave my  job to another Indian. Its all just coincidence....

I've seen this happen as well. It's a real thing and a huge problem.

I've found the best way (any perhaps the only way) to thrive in IT at this point is to have (or develop) niche skills that the H1B zombie horde aren't pretending to have. I know a lot about the ins and outs of banking loan origination systems, and I intend to ride that horse for as long as possible.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TexasOutdoorsman:

i fully intend to claim hispanic (which is actually true, but i've never claimed it in the past) and probably trans woman on my next resume.
long hair, tall with beard....when they question me i'll get real serious and tell them that's very inappropriate.

...something, something, something, force them to play by their own rules...
View Quote

I have enough Native American blood to get my card, maybe I should in light of all the DEI BS that’s going on.

As I mentioned, the same is going on right now in Medicine with similar results. Perhaps one of our resident care givers can detail that and the effects. Everything has become a commodity now unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, try to look for a company that deals with sensitive material.. any place that does work for the DoD and requires applicants to be US citizens is going to nuke all that H1B shit before it gets in the door.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By macman37:
Check back when you get to the place where you have to “voluntarily” input your sexual preference… but can’t proceed until you do.

I am not kidding.
View Quote

One of them I saw let you fill in whatever you want for sexual preference. I wrote "slim blonde girls under the age of 25"
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Have fun, OP.

I just spent about 4-5 weeks messaging a hr clown about (mainly) him agreeing on an informal Zoom/Teams meeting. After we finally clicked, and I submitted my homework, yes they even give out assignments to be completed on a timed basis, he ghosted me for a week. I asked if i was still being considered and within one day he replied no. I had a bunch of "expletives" in my response draft, but ended up saying "thanks for the quick response... this time."
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
OP, try to look for a company that deals with sensitive material.. any place that does work for the DoD and requires applicants to be US citizens is going to nuke all that H1B shit before it gets in the door.
View Quote

I currently have a Public Trust "clearance," and I'm looking into these kinds of jobs. Getting turned off by all the CACI et al. companies flat out saying don't apply if you do not have a clearance.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Be like Elizabeth Fauxahontas Warren.  Just say you're feather N-D-N.  I've met a lot of blond hair, blue eyed Indians including a descendant of Quannah Parker.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

All of that isn't new. It has been like this for a looooong time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#37]
As a citizen I'd be very upset that I have to compete against a huge pool of non-citizen H1B visa holders.

The Politicians have fucked citizens again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
Have fun, OP.

I just spent about 4-5 weeks messaging a hr clown about (mainly) him agreeing on an informal Zoom/Teams meeting. After we finally clicked, and I submitted my homework, yes they even give out assignments to be completed on a timed basis, he ghosted me for a week. I asked if i was still being considered and within one day he replied no. I had a bunch of "expletives" in my response draft, but ended up saying "thanks for the quick response... this time."
View Quote

You might have bombed the assessment. I say that without any derogatory intent as I have been there and was fortunate enough to see an example of the “competitions” work.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#39]

You might have bombed the assessment. I say that without any derogatory intent as I have been there and was fortunate enough to see an example of the “competitions” work.
View All Quotes
Have fun, OP.

I agree. That's a strong possibility, but not the point. The point is the obvious lack of timely communication between a serious job applicant and careerist human resources scumbag which is all too common in the market nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Riter:
Be like Elizabeth Fauxahontas Warren.  Just say you're feather N-D-N.  I've met a lot of blond hair, blue eyed Indians including a descendant of Quannah Parker.
View Quote

Better to claim African American - science agrees that homo sapiens originated on the African continent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#41]
People that don't list the state that they live in when wanting advice on the job market.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Won't the H1bs just have to leave the country if they can't find employment within a certain period of time?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#43]

I currently have a Public Trust "clearance," and I'm looking into these kinds of jobs. Getting turned off by all the CACI et al. companies flat out saying don't apply if you do not have a clearance.
View Quote

Those companies say that because they don't want to pay you 6-18 months doing nothing before they can put you on a direct charge program. Waiting for clearance comes out of company overhead.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m in a similar situation, and everything in the OP is true.  But the one that got me is the amount of companies wanting me to make a 2-5 minute video about myself before being invited to an interview. Uh… is this just the new way to make age discrimination easier?   “Oh, he did not have a good video presence, it wasn’t that he had gray hair”

But remember, hearing problems are federally recognized disabilities.  If you shoot, I bet you have tinnitus and hearing issues… so mark yourself down as disabled!
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Be double trans, a man that identifies as a woman that identifies as a man.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#46]
You are far better off finding a job by word of mouth.  The recommendation of a former co-worker carries far more weight than any HR recommendation.

In the real world, the hiring manager sends your resume to HR and tells them to set up an interview. They might force the hiring manager to interview some candidates they have screened, but it will be a miracle if any of those are worth a shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Never let an Indian get in a hiring role. Once they do, they will only hire Indians.  Period.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#48]
@mark9000

I had great results from Robert Half.
The rep I got knows the industry, and he found me two positions perfectly suited to my talents and pay.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By esdunbar:

View Quote

This. It's two worlds out there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:45:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _Nataraja_] [#50]
I was in a job hunt a little while ago, not tech. I've got an MBA, tons of experience, tri-lingual, good references, etc. It still took me months of sending out 30ish applications a day to get a job that I wanted. Granted, I was firm on salary and working from home, etc., but still, it was wild.

I'm still getting, "Sorry, you weren't selected" emails almost half a year after applying.

The combination of LinkedIn, remote work, and foreigners has made most job searches into hell.  Now that we're throwing AI into the mix, most of the world has no idea the absolutely monstrous reduction in wages that is going to occur over the next 10 years. Smoke 'em if you got 'em, because the gravy train is getting ransacked by the day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top