Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2024 6:13:03 PM EDT
Still trying to gather the last few items needed to attempt to photograph the upcoming eclipse. What filters do you recommend for the eclipse? Fredman, what say you?
I will be shooting with a Tamron 150mm-600mm on a Z50 for the closeup and probably my Oly EM1 with a wide angle for a different perspective.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Thousand Oaks 95mm solar film filter.

I made some, but really, the ones already framed and threaded are so much easier to deal with.

Solar Rig by FredMan, on Flickr

Threaded filter

ISS Transit FS by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thousand oaks threaded filters are the best I have found.
You do have to make sure it's a solar filter, and not just a very dense 16+ stop neutral density filter. The difference is allowing the UV and IR through to cook your image sensor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 2:40:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendel-OK] [#3]
I'm planning to get the solar filter Mylar sheets and make a cardboard filter that I can easily take off during totality and put back on at the end. The screw on filters take too much time to take off and put on and you might risk putting the camera out of focus as you do.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:
I'm planning to get the solar filter Mylar sheets and make a cardboard filter that I can easily take off during totality and put back on at the end. The screw on filters take too much time to take off and put on and you might risk putting the camera out of focus as you do.
View Quote

Excellent point.  That one I made with cardboard would be ideal.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FredMan:Excellent point.  That one I made with cardboard would be ideal.
View Quote

Fredman, is there a tutorial on how you made the cardboard holder? How does it stay on the lens?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GlockSpeed31:

Fredman, is there a tutorial on how you made the cardboard holder? How does it stay on the lens?

Thanks
View Quote

Get some good stout cardboard (think Amazon box).  Lay your hood on the cardboard, trace the outline with a pencil.  Cut and discard.  Do another, exactly like the first.  You should now have two identical pieces of cardboard with a hole that should fit snugly on the end of the lens hood.

Get some solar film, like the 8.5x11 sheets.  Cut a square out of the solar film that's maybe an 1-1.5 inches larger than the hole (and trust me, just cut a square.  Don't try to cut a circle out of the film).  Tape it down with whatever kind of tape you have handy (think I used regular old Scotch tape).  This is now the bottom.  Spread some white glue (Elmer's) all around (but not too much!  This doesn't have to be strong, just stable) the bottom piece of cardboard, then carefully align and press the "top" piece of cardboard down.

When you use it, the SLIVER side of the film FACES THE SUN.  Do NOT use it with the BLACK side sunward.  

These pics should explain everything.  It's easy, a caveman can do it.

Solar Filter Front by FredMan, on Flickr

Solar Filter Back by FredMan, on Flickr

The cardboard I used was already double thickness, so here you're seeing two, two-layer pieces of cardboard edge on.

Solar Filter Top by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FredMan:Get some good stout cardboard (think Amazon box).  Lay your hood on the cardboard, trace the outline with a pencil.  Cut and discard.  Do another, exactly like the first.  You should now have two identical pieces of cardboard with a hole that should fit snugly on the end of the lens hood.

Get some solar film, like the 8.5x11 sheets.  Cut a square out of the solar film that's maybe an 1-1.5 inches larger than the hole (and trust me, just cut a square.  Don't try to cut a circle out of the film).  Tape it down with whatever kind of tape you have handy (think I used regular old Scotch tape).  This is now the bottom.  Spread some white glue (Elmer's) all around (but not too much!  This doesn't have to be strong, just stable) the bottom piece of cardboard, then carefully align and press the "top" piece of cardboard down.

When you use it, the SLIVER side of the film FACES THE SUN.  Do NOT use it with the BLACK side sunward.  

These pics should explain everything.  It's easy, a caveman can do it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4299/35693640500_e1a75751ce_h.jpgSolar Filter Front by FredMan, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/4325/36083366175_694fb55d94_h.jpgSolar Filter Back by FredMan, on Flickr

The cardboard I used was already double thickness, so here you're seeing two, two-layer pieces of cardboard edge on.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4330/36083376505_0d4af49134_h.jpgSolar Filter Top by FredMan, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/4294/36043297646_2c560dcbbb_h.jpgSolar Rig by FredMan, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/4309/35274762103_248c2298c2_h.jpgSolar Rig by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

Awesome Fred, thanks so much. I will order some of the film from Amazon tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Forgive my ignorance, but would a welding helmet suffice?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
View Quote

No, any Filter to view the sun needs to have a safety standards of ISO 12312-2 certification. Welding glasses and hoods do not typically carry this rating.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#10]

No, any Filter to view the sun needs to have a safety standards of ISO 12312-2 certification. Welding glasses and hoods do not typically carry this rating.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks. I'll look for a filter before I head out in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Probably, but how are you going to take pictures through that?

All I KNOW is that Thousand Oaks Solar Film is a 16-stop filter.  I have no idea what welding helmets are.

And yeah, yeah, cross-posting, but decided to go grab a pic of the sunspots today, with the 95mm TOSF

Photography really doesn't get much easier, once you have the lens and the filter.  Shit, I could take pictures of the sun all day with no effort.

Sun Spots 2024-02-04 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:17:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killingmachine123] [#12]
The lenses on welding hoods have gotten huge, and you can remove them from the hood, so it's just the flat glass. The one on my helmet, or certainly my daughter's larger helmet would easily go across the front of a lens. A little rubber band action, and it would stay on there. Mine is adjustable to the extent that it would be way too dark for welding on mild steel. When one welds, it's as hot as the sun, so I thought it would be a great choice.

I'll do a little more reading on this, as I'm now intrigued.

ETA: Apparently, there is a NASA study which suggested a shade 14 lens is what a guy needs for continuous viewing of the sun. I'll see if I can pick one up for my helmet. Mine only goes up to a 13, which I'm sure would be fine for a bit, but I'll err on the safe side.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I used a magnetic ICE brand 16 stop solar filter for October's eclipse.  It's an overly cool filter, though, and even with the camera ISO set to 10000K, I still needed to warm the photos in post to get them where I wanted.

I had wickedly variable conditions for this partial eclipse, and having a magnetic filter worked out exceedingly well.  Some of these photos are with the filter, and some without any filter - that's how variable the fast moving, low cloud cover was.

And some clear sky stuff a couple of weeks later ...

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Inspired by this thread, I have a pair of 16.5 stop filters coming.
I had been planning to sit this one out. But now am planning to run two cameras during the event, one wide angle lens, one moderate telephoto (85 or 100mm, depending on what fits), plus hope to play with my 400mm lens too (thinking maybe birds roosting in response to the eclipse)
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Maps!  These are cross-posted from the GD thread.  I am so on the fence with traveling to OH to see this.

2024 Eclispe Coverage Map by FredMan, on Flickr

eclipse_map_1920v2 by FredMan, on Flickr

It's about 430 miles.  This will likely be the last US total eclipse of my life, so I really need to make the effort.

TSENorAm2001 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
@FredMan

Are these what you're talking about?

I'd be looking at a 77mm, which shows $59.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:
I had been planning to sit this one out. But now am planning to run two cameras during the event, one wide angle lens, one moderate telephoto (85 or 100mm, depending on what fits), plus hope to play with my 400mm lens too (thinking maybe birds roosting in response to the eclipse)
View Quote

@WhatsGnu.

Which filters did you get?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By PKT1106:
@FredMan

Are these what you're talking about?

I'd be looking at a 77mm, which shows $59.
View Quote

@PKT1106

Yep, those are them. Be advised, TO uses plastic for the filter frame, which is good in that you won’t screw up the threading on your lens, bad in that you have to be sort of careful while installing.

That being said, I’ve been using my 95mm filter for 7 years with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

I’m thinking of  4 cameras.

The 200-500 with filter for max magnification

The 24-120 for non solar shots of things that cool during the event

The GoPro on time lapse with maybe a 30 second interval to catch super wide video of the whole thing

The 11-16 with filter on intervalometer (thinking  5 second interval) for a stackable series of stills showing it propagate across the sky

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

The GoPro on time lapse with maybe a 30 second interval to catch super wide video of the whole thing

View Quote
Can you fix the exposure on them?  Otherwise, it's just going to chug through the eclipse and ramp the exposure as if nothing is happening.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Can you fix the exposure on them?  Otherwise, it's just going to chug through the eclipse and ramp the exposure as if nothing is happening.
View All Quotes

Yes, you can lock in the iso etc. I should have done that the other day when I was trying to film some welding.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:24:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WhatsGnu] [#22]

@WhatsGnu.

View All Quotes

@WhatsGnu.

Tiffan 18 stop filters. I mis-remembered my quoted post.
And I got 3 of them, one to fit the 400mm lens.

I wanted B&W filters, which what what I usually would use, but they were unavailable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:26:47 AM EDT
[#23]

The 11-16 with filter on intervalometer (thinking  5 second interval) for a stackable series of stills showing it propagate across the sky

View All Quotes

The GoPro is a good idea.
I got one to take along for our Alaska trip last year, but ended up not using it because the Canon M5 was doing the heavy lifting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Not bad.
I am doing this:
Z9 with the 180-600mm with the solar filter/ corona
Z7 with a 70-200 for the corona
Z6 with a 24-70 for corona on an interval timer 10 seconds
GoPro Hero 12 timelapse video for a wide shot

test shot from the 180-600 from yesterday using a 95mm Kase magnetic solar filter.
Attachment Attached File

I did ultra wide on the last eclipse in 2017 and it really did not do much for me. Too wide to get a sense of the corona so not really that interesting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cmxterra:

Not bad.
I am doing this:

test shot from the 180-600 from yesterday using a 95mm Kase magnetic solar filter.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/156207/_DSC5778-Enhanced-NR-2_jpg-3142946.JPG

I did ultra wide on the last eclipse in 2017 and it really did not do much for me. Too wide to get a sense of the corona so not really that interesting.
View All Quotes

Not bad.
I am doing this:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/156207/_DSC5778-Enhanced-NR-2_jpg-3142946.JPG

Is that at 600mm?
I'm planning on using the 400mm L on a Canon crop-sensor, which will yield ~600mm equivalent.
A little hesitant to put it on the M43... such a huge lens on a tiny body.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#26]
600 mm with a DX crop on the sensor.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#27]
600 mm with a DX crop on the sensor.
View Quote

I guess I'll have to put the 400 on one of my M43 bodies then.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Pretty sure.  Think you can set min and max exposure values, and just set them to be equal.  

But good point; definitely need to do a dry run.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#29]

The GoPro is a good idea.
I got one to take along for our Alaska trip last year, but ended up not using it because the Canon M5 was doing the heavy lifting.
View Quote

I work in the woods.  I carry my GP H9 as my exclusive "woods" camera.  Takes great stills, shoots raw, and hey, there's video if you need it!  Plus, the super-wide really makes the most of the outdoor vistas.

All these are GoPro stills (not frame grabs).

B&W_Cherrybark Oak_Flora_Schatzki by FredMan, on Flickr

Chaney Creek West Deck Wood by FredMan, on Flickr

Kendall Street Company by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#30]

Not bad.
I am doing this:

View Quote

Is that sample an out-of-camera example?  No cropping or post work?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I see the Thousand Oaks filter for 77mm is sold out right now. Anyone have any estimate on when they might come back in stock, or do I just have to check every day? I knew I should have ordered it last week.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought a few of these. Going to make my own filters with card stock or card board. Fast and easy to put on and take off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXWM6MZ/

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Grendel-OK:
I bought a few of these. Going to make my own filters with card stock or card board. Fast and easy to put on and take off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XXWM6MZ/

View Quote

I bought the same thing, but just 6”x6”. I have the 180-600 on order but likely won’t ship before the eclipse. I have a Tamron 150-500 rental for the eclipse in case. I’ll cut my cardboard the week before.

I didn’t want to spend more on a filter for a lens I won’t buy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:46:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAmaazingCarl] [#34]
Question.....

Would putting an h-alpha filter under a 16.5stop ND result in cleaner solar images?   I have seen telescope folk saying something about it, but not sure is necessarily applies to solar with cameras and standard lenses.

EDIT:// would a 15stop filter be enough as well?   At 600mm f8 or f11 does anyone know what your ISO would be at with a 16.5 or 20 stop filter?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1688202-REG/kolari_95mmhapro_95mm_ha_pro_filter.html/overview
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:29:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EBR666] [#35]
Originally Posted By TheAmaazingCarl:
Question.....
  At 600mm f8 or f11 does anyone know what your ISO would be at with a 16.5 or 20 stop filter?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1688202-REG/kolari_95mmhapro_95mm_ha_pro_filter.html/overview
View Quote

Depends on shutter speed and are you hand holding, regular tripod or using a tracking mount.  I'm shooting 100 ISO, I'm playing around with long shutter speeds on my tracking mount. Haven't settled on the best yet but have gotten good results over 2 seconds. It's supposed to be sunny today so I'll be doing more testing today.

Go here. you can calculate what you can use based on Camera, Lens, ISO, etc.

EBR

Edit to add calculate link.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:25:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAmaazingCarl] [#36]
Originally Posted By EBR666:

Depends on shutter speed and are you hand holding, regular tripod or using a tracking mount.  I'm shooting 100 ISO, I'm playing around with long shutter speeds on my tracking mount. Haven't settled on the best yet but have gotten good results over 2 seconds. It's supposed to be sunny today so I'll be doing more testing today.

Go here. you can calculate what you can use based on Camera, Lens, ISO, etc.

EBR

Edit to add calculate link.
View Quote

Thanks!    That calculator is extremely useful.

Once i get the new lens I am gonna put the tele-converter and filter on it and see what my settings will be with straight up solar photos.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Question.....

Would putting an h-alpha filter under a 16.5stop ND result in cleaner solar images?   I have seen telescope folk saying something about it, but not sure is necessarily applies to solar with cameras and standard lenses.

EDIT:// would a 15stop filter be enough as well?   At 600mm f8 or f11 does anyone know what your ISO would be at with a 16.5 or 20 stop filter?

View Quote

With my ND100000 filter, my solar photos are around 1/200, ISO 64, f/8 (zero clouds)
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Thousand Oaks 77mm filters came back in stock today, so I ordered one. $70 after shipping. I also got the Nisi from B&H last week and was able to get outside with it one day. I noticed I have a hard time focusing when I put the sun in the center of the focus point. If I focus on the edge of the sun, the auto focus finds it and its much more crisp.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:20:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikeyb76] [#39]
Ordered Thousand Oaks solar film here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DS7RO7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone is new to shooting the eclipse, monitor the lens barrels, as the rapid cooling during the eclipse will make them loosen up. I watched my 100-400mm slowly zoom out and end with a "clunk" as it went from 400 to 100 in about 3 seconds.

I didn't make a filter, I just taped the film over the lens. Worked just fine.

No filter @ totality. I was bouncing between two cameras, so I missed the beads. :(

flickr compressed image - I have a poster print that looks fantastic.
Eclipse_Totality1
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By clweathers:

I bought the same thing, but just 6”x6”. I have the 180-600 on order but likely won’t ship before the eclipse. I have a Tamron 150-500 rental for the eclipse in case. I’ll cut my cardboard the week before.

I didn’t want to spend more on a filter for a lens I won’t buy.
View Quote

Make sure you step that Tamzooka down to f/8 or f/9

Mine was razor sharp at those apertures.

And noise isn’t going to Matter much with solar shots
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#41]

With my ND100000 filter, my solar photos are around 1/200, ISO 64, f/8 (zero clouds)
View Quote

I do NOT recommend 1/40 sec.

I’d bump that up to at least 1/160, and bump the ISO to compensate. Again, noise isn’t that critical in solar photography
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Thousand Oaks 77mm filters came back in stock today, so I ordered one. $70 after shipping. I also got the Nisi from B&H last week and was able to get outside with it one day. I noticed I have a hard time focusing when I put the sun in the center of the focus point. If I focus on the edge of the sun, the auto focus finds it and its much more crisp.
View Quote

Yeah, you  really need to git that high contrast edge.

The AF doesn’t have much to work with on a monochrome subject.

Plus, if you’re smart, you’ll then turn off AF once you get the sun focus nailed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I decided to not get a filter for muh telescope. I want to watch it,  and enjoy it with my eclipse glasses, and not be tinkering with my scope. There will be lots of video and pics available.

Don't stare at the eclipse without proper glasses GD!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:26:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By zach_:
I decided to not get a filter for muh telescope. I want to watch it,  and enjoy it with my eclipse glasses, and not be tinkering with my scope. There will be lots of video and pics available.

Don't stare at the eclipse without proper glasses GD!!!!!!!
View Quote

Is that safe since you'll be viewing a zoomed image?  Shouldn't the filter be in front of the closest lens to the sun to work properly?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Make sure you step that Tamzooka down to f/8 or f/9

Mine was razor sharp at those apertures.

And noise isn’t going to Matter much with solar shots
View Quote

I planned on stopping down to at least f8. I find a lot of lenses are a bit sharper stopped down a tad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Is that safe since you'll be viewing a zoomed image?  Shouldn't the filter be in front of the closest lens to the sun to work properly?
View Quote

Um, yeah, the filter goes on the end of the optic farthest from the eye. You run the risk of burning the cheap eye filter and th3n your retina
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top