BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lokifox:

Feel free to peruse this mountain of data. 18% isn't needed unless they kick the can for another decade. Pretty cool PDF on the page linked that has dozens and dozens of ways to fix the issue (which congress will ignore).

https://www.actuary.org/socialsecurity

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bat15:
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

They would have to increase FICA to 18% in order to just meet current obligations.

Do you have a source for your claim?

Feel free to peruse this mountain of data. 18% isn't needed unless they kick the can for another decade. Pretty cool PDF on the page linked that has dozens and dozens of ways to fix the issue (which congress will ignore).

https://www.actuary.org/socialsecurity

Thank you for the link to the what if game. They did a good job of explaining the issues and possible solutions. I do take exception to the idea that Social Security was designed to provide for all of your retirement needs. It was envisioned as being one of three sources of income in your old age. The three sources were:  Social Security, Pensions and your savings. Pensions are a defined benefit plan which has been replaced by a 401k type defined contribution plans. Savings of course includes savings accounts and investments. I also reject the idea lower earners must be made more equitable than we are already doing. One person sounded like they and their partner worked in low income jobs and felt they shoukd get more than the current progressive system provides.

The game was interesting and I succeeded in fully funding Social Security by raising the retirement age to 70, removing the income cap and gradually raising the rate from 12.4 to 14.4. The revised SS gave a five year credit for home care givers, removed the cap on how much a high income worker could get. My plan funded 116% of the total estimated SS costs.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Procyon:
Of course…

Guess when I am first eligible for the SS I’ve been paying into since 1989?

Yep, 2035.
View Quote

Yep. Rugged pulled on GenX.

I guess GenX politicians are partly to blame though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By apexcrusade:

Sure.  Bump it for newborns.
View Quote

Why? People born half a decade ago benefit from increased life expectancy just as much. Or is it just that we can’t cut off the “forced insurance program in case you outlived your financial preparations in old age” for people who haven’t done that yet? 62 and fresh retired ain’t outliving financial preparations. It’s a fact.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

It isn't when you take into account that your money was already spent paying the folks collecting while you were working.

It was always going to be someone else's money paying for the retirees.

Beyond just the complete incompatibility with a free market, it's also unsustainable.  Taxes WILL have to be raised to keep it around, or retirement ages raised. There simply isn't enough production out there to pay people to do nothing.

Genuinely RIGHT NOW Congress could stop this. They could do it WITHOUT taking away social security from the people collecting.  Just phase it out. 20 years or out from retirement?  You can still collect but at a reduced rate based on your age.

Let younger people get higher contribution rates to 401ks and iras and shrink the tax as needed.

I would gladly give up all of my social security so my kids don't have to pay into it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Laydown:

Since my wife DID die 7 months before her FRA while chasing the last goddam dollar instead of retiring at 62 like I told her she should, this is the part where I throw my head back and laugh. I did catch your sarcasm though...

There are those of us who worked, saved, paid into the system, and also invested on our own. In my case, I spent 45 years paying in to SS. I have a comfortable retirement now due to working, serving and investing. SS is a part of that - an earned part.

It's offensive to be compared to SSI recipients in any way.

It isn't when you take into account that your money was already spent paying the folks collecting while you were working.

It was always going to be someone else's money paying for the retirees.

Beyond just the complete incompatibility with a free market, it's also unsustainable.  Taxes WILL have to be raised to keep it around, or retirement ages raised. There simply isn't enough production out there to pay people to do nothing.

Genuinely RIGHT NOW Congress could stop this. They could do it WITHOUT taking away social security from the people collecting.  Just phase it out. 20 years or out from retirement?  You can still collect but at a reduced rate based on your age.

Let younger people get higher contribution rates to 401ks and iras and shrink the tax as needed.

I would gladly give up all of my social security so my kids don't have to pay into it.

That sounds like an excellent idea. Because no one can be trusted to contribute to 401Ks it will be necessary for the government to manage them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:44:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#5]
It's been my observation since I've been on this forum that social security posts are disguised as nothing but boomer hate posts.

I've never seen a post attacking medicaid. That our tax dollars are paid to those who've done absolutely nothing to earn it. Millions of illegal criminals who are getting free money, medical and free housing. But instead let's attack those that actually contributed to America instead.  

Plus if the federal government would stop using the social security funds as their private piggy bank it'd not be the topic of choice to use to create posts by sorry ass holes looking for a way to project their hatred to older Americans who actually did work and paid into the program.

I also see a lot of BS of people saying I'll not take it when I get older. What I bunch of BS liars. You'll be just like everyone else and say I paid into it and I'm getting my money back. I've heard people say that before and guess what? They're drawing it now because now, their tone changed and they say it's my money. I paid into it.

With all the other things that are corrupted in this nation. There are fools that post this crap with sole purpose of turning Americans against Americans. People that hate older Americans so much that they want to create a divide.

I suggest you asshole call your boomer mother and wishing them a happy mother's day before taking them behind the shed and putting a bullet in them because you consider boomers to be a burden on society. Because that's the way it comes across when reading these sorry ass posts. 😐

These kinds of posts are nothing but hate post towards older boomer mothers, dads and grandparents. When the hatred should be towards the real thieves. The federal government for steal social security funding for their pet projects.

Social Security is primarily funded through a dedicated payroll tax, which is deducted from a person’s paycheck. The program also receives funding from income taxes that some beneficiaries have to pay on a portion of their benefits, as well as interest from the trust funds’ investment holdings.

Social Security income is deposited into two financial accounts called trust funds – the Old-Age Survivors Insurance (OASI) Trust Fund and the Disability Insurance (DI) Trust Fund. The trust funds are used to pay out Social Security benefits and cover administrative costs, according to the Social Security Administration (SSA).

The trust funds hold money that isn’t needed in the current year to pay benefits and other expenses. By law, that money is invested in special Treasury bonds that are guaranteed by the U.S. government and earn interest, SSA explains.

Those bonds basically are an IOU from the government to Social Security,” Mary Johnson, Social Security and Medicare policy analyst for The Senior Citizens League, told VERIFY. “In other words, the Social Security trust fund, which is what is authorized to pay benefits, has been loaning money to the U.S. government.”

When a person buys a Treasury bond, they are also loaning money to the U.S. government for a set period of time and will get it back in the future with interest.

The Treasury needs to borrow money when the federal government’s budget is in a deficit, meaning its spending exceeds revenues from taxes and other sources.
View Quote

the federal government’s budget is always in a deficit, meaning its spending exceeds revenues from taxes and other sources. So who the real thieves and who should this post really be about.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By swampvol:

Yep. Rugged pulled on GenX.

I guess GenX politicians are partly to blame though.
View Quote

GenX was and still is hopelessly outnumbered. The baby boomers were already a historically large demographic and saw further decline with Roe V Wade.

They never had a shot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Sandbowl1980:
It's been my observation since I've been on this forum that social security posts are disguised as nothing but boomer hate posts.

I've never seen a post attacking medicaid. That our tax dollars are paid to those who've done absolutely nothing to earn it. Millions of illegal criminals who are getting free money, medical and free housing. But instead let's attack those that actually contributed to America instead.  

Plus if the federal government would stop using the social security funds as their private piggy bank it'd not be the topic of choice to use to create posts by sorry ass holes looking for a way to project their hatred to older Americans who actually did work and paid into the program.

I also see a lot of BS of people saying I'll not take it when I get older. What I bunch of BS liars. You'll be just like everyone else and say I paid into it and I'm getting my money back. I've heard people say that before and guess what? They're drawing it now because now, their tone changed and they say it's my money. I paid into it.

With all the other things that are corrupted in this nation. There are fools that post this crap with sole purpose of turning Americans against Americans. People that hate older Americans so much that they want to create a divide.

I suggest you asshole call your boomer mother and wishing them a happy mother's day before taking them behind the shed and putting a bullet in them because you consider boomers to be a burden on society. Because that's the way it comes across when reading these sorry ass posts. 😐

These kinds of posts are nothing but hate post towards older boomer mothers, dads and grandparents. When the hatred should be towards the real thieves. The federal government for steal social security funding for their pet projects.

the federal government’s budget is always in a deficit, meaning its spending exceeds revenues from taxes and other sources. So who the real thieves and who should this post really be about.
View Quote

Don't hate hate player hate the game and all that. Anyone opting to not collect Social Security with the opportunity to do so is foolish.

Medicaid is already understood to be welfare and most here would put it on the chopping block the first chance they get.

You have an actuary in this thread along with other financial folks who do this shit for a living and understand the horror that is social security.

The fact that it cannot go on forever.

The fact that every year it gets prolonged it gets more expensive.

The fact that even putting the money you paid into SS being funneled to a even the most basic of investments would have netted you more money to work with.

The fact that your money that you contributed has been gone for decades.

Those of us who are going to be AROUND after 2035 have some pretty serious shit to figure out and "fuck you pay me" isn't going to work for us because there won't BE any money to pay.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Paul_Sothern:
Forgive me for not knowing the difference between SS and SSDI as fortunately I have not been disabled so going on disability never entered my mind.

So I looked it up.

The average SSDI payment for someone with dependents is $2,720 per month.

That is considerably higher than the average SS payment.

No wonder they cannot fill hourly jobs when faking a disability pays so well.

The way things are currently set up, only chumps work.

View Quote

I am a former chump having retired about ten years ago.

If you are shocked by how much people get on disability, don’t look at all the welfare benefits available.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#9]

I have the option of not buying the insurance or buying policies with lower coverage.

What about government mandated Healthcare?  Are we okay with that?
View All Quotes

What happens to all your car insurance premiums if you never have a claim? Do you drive into a tree so you can file a claim?

What happens to all your homeowners insurance premiums if you never have a claim. Do you burn your house down to collect!

What happens to all your health insurance claims not used to pay for health care? Do you injure yourself so you can collect?

If you have term life insurance. Do you kill yourself the day before the policy expires?

Do you understand why people buy insurance?

I have the option of not buying the insurance or buying policies with lower coverage.

Do you really have the option of buying insurance or not? Lenders require full coverage on your house. The state requires liability coverage on your car. Lenders require coverage to protect their car loan. The federal government did require health insurance coverage but Trump removed the penalty.

Sometimes society requires you to be financially responsible. It is part of the cost you pay to live in a civilized country. But I don’t want SS, I will provide my own retirement funds. That is great if people actually did that. Most won’t save enough and would wind up on welfare. Society is not going to let granny starve. It is better that people are part of the SS system and provide at least part of the money they will need in retirement.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

Social Security is primarily funded through a dedicated payroll tax, which is deducted from a person’s paycheck. The program also receives funding from income taxes that some beneficiaries have to pay on a portion of their benefits, as well as interest from the trust funds’ investment holdings.

Social Security income is deposited into two financial accounts called trust funds – the Old-Age Survivors Insurance (OASI) Trust Fund and the Disability Insurance (DI) Trust Fund. The trust funds are used to pay out Social Security benefits and cover administrative costs, according to the Social Security Administration (SSA).

The trust funds hold money that isn’t needed in the current year to pay benefits and other expenses. By law, that money is invested in special Treasury bonds that are guaranteed by the U.S. government and earn interest, SSA explains.

Those bonds basically are an IOU from the government to Social Security,” Mary Johnson, Social Security and Medicare policy analyst for The Senior Citizens League, told VERIFY. “In other words, the Social Security trust fund, which is what is authorized to pay benefits, has been loaning money to the U.S. government.”

When a person buys a Treasury bond, they are also loaning money to the U.S. government for a set period of time and will get it back in the future with interest.

The Treasury needs to borrow money when the federal government’s budget is in a deficit, meaning its spending exceeds revenues from taxes and other sources.

The only hate I have is that if I was allowed to opt out of the Old Age portion I could have a giant pile of readily accessible money in retirement vs. being divvied out little chunks of my contributions.

The probability of my receiving back the amount of my/employer contributions with projected growth if invested conservatively is extremely low.

I would love an opt out option with tax credits for previous contributions but that'll never happen. The whole thing is burrowed so deep into the heart of the country that pulling it out would result in total chaos.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Don't hate hate player hate the game and all that. Anyone opting to not collect Social Security with the opportunity to do so is foolish.

Medicaid is already understood to be welfare and most here would put it on the chopping block the first chance they get.

You have an actuary in this thread along with other financial folks who do this shit for a living and understand the horror that is social security.

The fact that even putting the money you paid into SS being funneled to a even the most basic of investments would have netted you more money to work with.

Those of us who are going to be AROUND after 2035 have some pretty serious shit to figure out and "fuck you pay me" isn't going to work for us because there won't BE any money to pay.
View Quote

Their best idea as posted above is just pay more into it and remove the income cap. What a fucking joke, it’s like giving another credit card to someone who’s maxed out tons of others.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Do you really have the option of buying insurance or not? Lenders require full coverage on your house. The state requires liability coverage on your car. Lenders require coverage to protect their car loan. The federal government did require health insurance coverage but Trump removed the penalty.

Sometimes society requires you to be financially responsible. It is part of the cost you pay to live in a civilized country. But I don’t want SS, I will provide my own retirement funds. That is great if people actually did that. Most won’t save enough and would wind up on welfare. Society is not going to let granny starve. It is better that people are part of the SS system and provide at least part of the money they will need in retirement.
View Quote

Beyond the fact that the government shouldn't be in the business of forcing people to save money, they've done such a shit job managing it, I'm struggling to understand why they should be continued to allow to do so.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#13]
It will not run out. They will just print more.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:
View Quote

And inflation will get worse.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#15]
I know some people who whole they are disabled could work instead of taking from the system and doing nothing. The “I’m paralyzed I can’t work”, yes you can it will take awhile to find a job but there are those jobs out there for people like us. It’s an old argument with a general consensus that people who can no longer walk or use their hands are completely useless.

I had a tenant in a property that was on free rides from the Gov she was 100% capable of working a full time job, but chose to live on SSDI and welfare, cash assistance until she crossed a line. She destroyed the inside of a house and we sued her, she lost the lawsuit and all of her free gov assistance went with it. DES went after her, their investigation determined that she defrauded them for years. 🤦‍♀️ well no shyt most defraud the government programs because they think they’ll never get caught.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Beyond the fact that the government shouldn't be in the business of forcing people to save money, they've done such a shit job managing it, I'm struggling to understand why they should be continued to allow to do so.
View All Quotes

I don’t have a problem forcing people to save for their retirement. Too many will not save and the government will force me to pay for their welfare. I believe welfare should only paid to the disabled and others incapable of supporting themselves. That does not include all those who think work is too hard or only for suckers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#19]

I don’t have a problem forcing people to save for their retirement. Too many will not save and the government will force me to pay for their welfare. I believe welfare should only paid to the disabled and others incapable of supporting themselves. That does not include all those who think work is too hard or only for suckers.
View Quote

Does everything the federal government touches turn to shit?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Ok.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#22]

The only hate I have is that if I was allowed to opt out of the Old Age portion I could have a giant pile of readily accessible money in retirement vs. being divvied out little chunks of my contributions.

The probability of my receiving back the amount of my/employer contributions with projected growth if invested conservatively is extremely low.

I would love an opt out option with tax credits for previous contributions but that'll never happen. The whole thing is burrowed so deep into the heart of the country that pulling it out would result in total chaos.
View Quote

I agree with you on this
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Ok.
View Quote

Most people have no interest in being part of the solution, only part of the problem.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#24]
160 billion in student loans sounds like a lot.

How does the President control that much of the budget?

Nobody ever talks about the welfare programs running out of money.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Paul:
160 billion in student loans sounds like a lot.

How does the President control that much of the budget?

Nobody ever talks about the welfare programs running out of money.
View Quote

Everything the government touches turns to shit.

Our goal should be getting them out of our lives as much as possible.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Martin O'Malley FUCKED Maryland as Govenor. Now, he will fuck everybody!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#27]

I thought the boomers were rich.

Lots of boomers have 401k accounts.  There are hardworking and lazy people in all generations.

You are chasing ghosts.  A lot of boomers are already dead.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By manderson1911:

I do, but honesty unlike boomers i spent my  time learning how 401k and brokerage accounts work...

I also know that if we are running out in the next decade either we are paying too much out or not enough in....

Lots of boomers have 401k accounts.  There are hardworking and lazy people in all generations.

Pretty much this.

The youngest boomers are 70 now.  In another decade a large majority of them will be gone.

GenX peeps need to get ready to take over the reins of shouldering the blame for all the ills of society.    
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

What happens to all your car insurance premiums if you never have a claim? Do you drive into a tree so you can file a claim?

What happens to all your homeowners insurance premiums if you never have a claim. Do you burn your house down to collect!

What happens to all your health insurance claims not used to pay for health care? Do you injure yourself so you can collect?

If you have term life insurance. Do you kill yourself the day before the policy expires?

Whats funny is he is pointing out situations where most people don’t file a claim. Yet everyone is just counting the days until they can file for SS. So they can get what they paid in, plus interest.

If an insurance company had reserves go to zero, they would be deemed insolvent and taken over by the state insurance commissioner. No new policies, those with policies left hanging. Seen it happen in the last decade. Multiple times.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By FMJ3:

Pretty much this.

The youngest boomers are 70 now.  In another decade a large majority of them will be gone.

GenX peeps need to get ready to take over the reins of shouldering the blame for all the ills of society.    
View Quote

Youngest boomers were born in 1964.  

The youngest boomers are 60 this year.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#30]
2035 my retirement year.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Their best idea as posted above is just pay more into it and remove the income cap. What a fucking joke, it’s like giving another credit card to someone who’s maxed out tons of others.
View Quote
Which is why so many on the younger end are not happy.
View Quote
And it becomes a perpetual cycle. COLA increases, needing more to fund the program, amplifying inflation, leading to another COLA increase.
Pretty much this.

View Quote
The youngest boomers are 60. Still a few years to go before they reach critical mass on the system.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Forgive me for not knowing the difference between SS and SSDI as fortunately I have not been disabled so going on disability never entered my mind.

So I looked it up.

The average SSDI payment for someone with dependents is $2,720 per month.

That is considerably higher than the average SS payment.

No wonder they cannot fill hourly jobs when faking a disability pays so well.

The way things are currently set up, only chumps work.

View Quote

/this

IIRC during the Clinton administration the republicans pushed through welfare reform. In the two years following the number of people on SSI doubled IIRC. The goal now is to "get your disability" so you get SSI while getting paid under the table working.

My neighbor in CA was on Section 8 so she paid $230 for the $2300 rent. She got SSI for the kids because they were fatherless. Her "husband" of 8 years was on SSI and worked cash jobs under the table. I learned all about his life at his sentencing hearing following his felony conviction. I figure all told they were at $10K a month in assistance.

.... and California isn't the worst
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#33]

The youngest boomers are 70 now.  
View Quote

The youngest boomers are 59. The oldest are 78.
"Boomer" short for "baby Boom" which happened after WW2 ended.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Paul:

/this

IIRC during the Clinton administration the republicans pushed through welfare reform. In the two years following the number of people on SSI doubled IIRC. The goal now is to "get your disability" so you get SSI while getting paid under the table working.

My neighbor in CA was on Section 8 so she paid $230 for the $2300 rent. She got SSI for the kids because they were fatherless. Her "husband" of 8 years was on SSI and worked cash jobs under the table. I learned all about his life at his sentencing hearing following his felony conviction. I figure all told they were at $10K a month in assistance.

.... and California isn't the worst
View Quote

Are you having a laugh, mate? Got to be fookin' kidding me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
Whats funny is he is pointing out situations where most people don’t file a claim. Yet everyone is just counting the days until they can file for SS. So they can get what they paid in, plus interest.

If an insurance company had reserves go to zero, they would be deemed insolvent and taken over by the state insurance commissioner. No new policies, those with policies left hanging. Seen it happen in the last decade. Multiple times.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

I was being asked what happens to the money paid into SS by people who die before collecting. The answer is the answer is the same as with other insurance. If you don’t have a covered claim, the money goes to others. People buy insurance to protect themselves selves or their loved ones against something. Life insurance protects your family against financial loss because of your death. Buying an annuity policy provides you with a stream of income for a period of time. It could be your lifetime and that of your spouse which is how SS works.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#36]

I was being asked what happens to the money paid into SS by people who die before collecting. The answer is the answer is the same as with other insurance. If you don’t have a covered claim, the money goes to others. People buy insurance to protect themselves selves or their loved ones against something. Life insurance protects your family against financial loss because of your death. Buying an annuity policy provides you with a stream of income for a period of time. It could be your lifetime and that of your spouse which is how SS works.
View Quote

Every annuity has return of premium and can be 1035'd into another type.

Hell you can EVEN do income with cash refund.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#37]
the general fund of the US govt runs out of money every fucking year and it doesnt seem to slow them down at all

this is all a joke and anybody that thinks it matters what the SS trust fund amount is hasn't been paying attention

this is all a smoke screen and a divide and conquer like everything else the govt does
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes

Well I am kinda in agreement with Bat15 that I don't have a problem with the Gov saying you need to save for retirement.  I do have an EXTREME problem with the Gov handling my retirement money.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:55:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#39]

Pretty much this.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By manderson1911:

I do, but honesty unlike boomers i spent my  time learning how 401k and brokerage accounts work...

I also know that if we are running out in the next decade either we are paying too much out or not enough in....

Pretty much this.

We are outnumbered by a long shot....in 2022 both boomers and millennials outnumbered us....not sure if this is a good or bad thing at this point....I can't control what happens but at the same time not going to take the blame for it either.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Scoobysmak:

Well I am kinda in agreement with Bat15 that I don't have a problem with the Gov saying you need to save for retirement.  I do have an EXTREME problem with the Gov handling my retirement money.
View Quote

Ok what if you don't pay taxes on the first 12.4% of your income if it goes towards a retirement account?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Ok what if you don't pay taxes on the first 12.4% of your income if it goes towards a retirement account?
View Quote

Is this this a Roth account or traditional, if traditional it is the same principle as now and people still don't use it.  Roth might change the game but doubtful as the average person can't see the forest through the trees.

I would be willing to bet on the Roth option though...like Bat15 said, I just don't want my tax payer dollars to put these people in nursing homes when they can't work anymore because they never saved a dime.  How about if you have X amount saved before you need the nursing home you will be helped but otherwise go eat cat food.  I don't have an answer but all the Karen's crying their neighbors grandma is on the street would force me to pay for it over time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:37:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pdm] [#42]
The only real question that needs to be answered is how much ammo will my SS check buy in 2035?  Right now I'm getting about 9 cases of 9mm per month.  Will the COLA adjustments keep pace with the increases in ammo?  

If not then I whole heartedly recommend that FICA be raised on the young guys still working so I can keep shooting.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By pdm:
The only real question that needs to be answered is how much ammo will my SS check buy in 2035?  Right now I'm getting about 9 cases of 9mm per month.  Will the COLA adjustments keep pace with the increases in ammo?
View Quote

Gov reading this....and the inbound letter....

"We are sorry to inform you that the freedoms provided by the Constitution are not part of our agenda and your SS check has been forfeited for diversity, thank you for playing"
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Is this this a Roth account or traditional, if traditional it is the same principle as now and people still don't use it.  Roth might change the game but doubtful as the average person can't see the forest through the trees.

I would be willing to bet on the Roth option though...like Bat15 said, I just don't want my tax payer dollars to put these people in nursing homes when they can't work anymore because they never saved a dime.  How about if you have X amount saved before you need the nursing home you will be helped but otherwise go eat cat food.  I don't have an answer but all the Karen's crying their neighbors grandma is on the street would force me to pay for it over time.
View Quote

Roth.

Let me ask you this. How much of YOUR income are you willing to pay to keep everyone else's grandma off the street?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I know they offer different options. One of the options is life which usually gives you the highest monthly payment. If you die after one payment, your family gets nothing. Why would anyone do that? It is stupid but someone must take it. SS at least will pay a spouse the higher benefit. It maybe my age but I generally expect the man to be the higher earner and the wife to live longer. It probably is not as true today but that is what commonly happened in the 20th century.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Roth.

Let me ask you this. How much of YOUR income are you willing to pay to keep everyone else's grandma off the street?
View All Quotes

Roth.

Call me a selfish prick but None, because in this case one becomes 87 million overnight.  Which is why if grandma had to have X amount in a retirement account she would have to raid that first before coming to me for handouts via the Gov.

If the Gov "strongly encourages" people to save for retirement Vs letting people do as they will....which outcome will least likely result in the Gov coming to me for money at the end of their life?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 1975:

It comes after the Social Security Administration announced earlier this week it is expected to run short on funds by 2035.

View Quote

Yeah, whatever.

They wouldn't risk losing control of the government. Fear mongering just like everything else.

What we need is a shortage of bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#48]
SS, disability, SNAP, Medicaid, EITC, tax “refunds” not earned, and anything other than a food box and WIC should be eliminated.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Dixie2009:
SS, disability, SNAP, Medicaid, EITC, tax “refunds” not earned, and anything other than a food box and WIC should be eliminated.
View Quote

Bring back Gov cheese....
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Bring back Gov cheese....
View Quote
back when i was really really poor as a kid we used to get the gubbmint cheese from the food bank.

and i liked it.
Page / 6
Top Top