Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 64
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
For 99cents, I got a Kindle triple book of The Count of Monte Cristo, Three Musketeers, and the Man in the Iron Mask.

This will be the 4th or 5th time I have read Monte Cristo
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Just started the dark tower series.
Working on the gunslinger right now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
View Quote

STOP AFTER BOOK IV WIZARD AND GLASS.  DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE READ ANY OF THE LAST 3.  You're welcome.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By matt8844:

STOP AFTER BOOK IV WIZARD AND GLASS.  DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE READ ANY OF THE LAST 3.  You're welcome.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:

I say "stop reading before book 1", but that ship has sailed. Book 7 made me angry. YMMV
(Oh, and for the spoiler crowd, "Snape killed Dumbledore!" )
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Washita
Memoirs
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The First Team: Pacific Naval Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway -Lundstrom

The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign: Naval Fighter Combat from August to November 1942-Lundstrom

If you are a true Naval Aviation buff and enjoy reading about the early stages of the war in the Pacific, these are for you. I would venture to guess every fighter sortie of consequence is contained in these books. Names, aircraft numbers, paint schemes ect. it is all here as is all the combat along with enemy records. Probably the best researched books on this subject I have read and I have read many.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:

The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign: Naval Fighter Combat from August to November 1942-Lundstrom

If you are a true Naval Aviation buff and enjoy reading about the early stages of the war in the Pacific, these are for you. I would venture to guess every fighter sortie of consequence is contained in these books. Names, aircraft numbers, paint schemes ect. it is all here as is all the combat along with enemy records. Probably the best researched books on this subject I have read and I have read many.
View Quote

Outstanding books.  I read both and have them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm currently listening to the audio book of Caliban's War, the second book in the Expanse series.  So far, it's been awesome.  Better than the first book, about which I had mixed feelings, mostly due to the Detective Miller character.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Finishing up the "Duty, Honor, Planet:  The Complete Trilogy" by Rick Partlow. I got the first book on one of the free Kindle days and decided to buy the 3 book trilogy since it was cheaper than buying the next 2 books individually. Its a good military scifi series and I hope he continues it. He has another scifi series which I plan to read too since once again I got the first book free and will see if I like it.

I did finish up another free scifi book "
The Awakening: Book 1 of the Evaran Chronicles" by Adair Hart and the story was not too bad but its too much of a rip off of Dr. Who so I'm not if I will read more in the series.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
Finishing up the "Duty, Honor, Planet:  The Complete Trilogy" by Rick Partlow. I got the first book on one of the free Kindle days and decided to buy the 3 book trilogy since it was cheaper than buying the next 2 books individually. Its a good military scifi series and I hope he continues it. He has another scifi series which I plan to read too since once again I got the first book free and will see if I like it.
View Quote

Glad you liked Duty, Honor, Planet.  Hope you enjoy the Birthright series as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Glad you liked Duty, Honor, Planet.  Hope you enjoy the Birthright series as well.
View All Quotes

I was wondering if the writer was a ARF member based on the 3rd book asshat named Ayrock. Are you planning more in the series? I have not finished the 3rd yet so I don't know if the entire world blows up but I assume the day is saved in the end.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I was wondering if the writer was a ARF member based on the 3rd book asshat named Ayrock. Are you planning more in the series? I have not finished the 3rd yet so I don't know if the entire world blows up but I assume the day is saved in the end.

View All Quotes

I am currently working on the third book in the Birthright series.  Once I finish that, I will think about maybe writing more books in the Duty, Honor, Planet universe.  Haven't decided whether to revisit that universe or not.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got the DMZ Series, just finished book 1 of 12. Really digging it so far.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:33:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Monster Hunter Memoirs: Grunge.

And It's Worth It!
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:03:16 AM EDT
[#15]
The Gunfighters by Col Charles Askins his books are always good reading.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#16]
House of Chains- book 4 in the Malazan series

The intelligent investor
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 4v50:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Originally Posted By PanzerOfDoom:

Just finished the second; holy cow, what research. Best I have read on the subject.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Lest we not forget.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I just finished the Red Rising Trilogy (Red Rising, Golden Son, and Morning Star) by Pierce Brown.
Excellent books.  Basically the Hunger Games (but written much better), set in a future where

other planets are colonized.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Relentless Strike. The Secret History of Joint Special Operations Command. By Sean Naylor.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Finished Redshirts.

Now reading Ready Player One.

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Mak_380:

And It's Worth It!
View Quote

According to Amazon it hasn't been released yet, how did you manage to get a copy?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Firedude:

According to Amazon it hasn't been released yet, how did you manage to get a copy?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Firedude:
Originally Posted By Mak_380:

And It's Worth It!

Baen books has this thing for their book addicts; They will sometimes do electronic AdvanceReaderCopy or e-ARC's for $15. Then you get to see the books when it's 98% done.
They don't do it for all their authors. But Correia, Ringo, and some others-yep. Then us early readers can say "page 92. He flicked the safety off his Glock. Who are you, James Patterson?" ??????
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Just finished reading Ready Player One.  Really good book.  Can't wait for the movie.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Just finishing up 13 Hours. Damn.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Just finished By Tank Into Normandy and just started Sgt. Trevor Greenwood's D-Day to Victory: The Diaries of a British Tank Commander. A member of the 9 RTR, Greenwood commanded a Churchill tank.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#28]
Just finished The Last Panther by Wolfgang Faust.   Interesting book and a good read about the German Ninth Army's breakout to the West and its linking up with the German 12th Army.  One reveiwer cautions that it is historical fiction.

There are some things wrong.  Faust mentions that his lieutenant wears his iron cross on his neck.  Eisenkruez einsclasse were worn on the breast and the ribbon to the second class was worn in a pockehole.  Of course, it could be the translator's error.  In another part of the book Faust explains to a woman that they exhausted their first aid supply of morphine.  Then a few chapters later Faust is injured and his crew gives him morphine (which he takes several times again).  Faust mentions a shell deflecting off the Panther's mantlet onto the deck where the driver and asst. driver sit.  It is not penetrated but in another incident a shell shoots through the fixture for the bow machinegun and lodges intot he asst. driver (Panther D perhaps?).  Last, when they abandon their Panther, they ran it into a swamp and let it sink to the bottom.  It was German Army practice to destroy equipment rather than abandon it and each tank had a self-destruct charge that would destroy it rather than allow it to fall into enemy hands.  Faust didn't do that.  Hmmm.

If you read Panzer Gunner, the author mentions how they abandoned several vehicles and always blew them up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Ken Tout's A Fine Nights for Tanks: The Road to Falaise.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Meathead: The Science of Great BBQ and Grilling  by Meathead Goldwyn
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#31]
The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Franklin BBQ: A Meat Smoking Manifesto by Aaron Franklin and Jordan Mackay
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:38:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm going to finish American Gods tomorrow. I've thoroughly enjoyed this book.  It looks like Starz is producing the TV series which I am excited for.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Sanderson's Mistborn- The Final Empire. I love his stuff. Can't wait for the next Stormlight Archive installment.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:04:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: matt8844] [#35]
Originally Posted By Phillgui:
Sanderson's Mistborn- The Final Empire. I love his stuff. Can't wait for the next Stormlight Archive installment.
View Quote

Just finished Well of Ascension today.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Just finished Well of Ascention today.
View All Quotes

Haven't read- recommend? I am guessing yes.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

I definitely recommend.  Not a series I would normally read but still good.  I've now finished the first trilogy and am working on Alloy of Law.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#38]

I definitely recommend.  Not a series I would normally read but still good.  I've now finished the first trilogy and am working on Alloy of Law.
View All Quotes

Reading now! Loved Final Empire.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Finished "Wheel of Osheim" from Mark Lawrence.

On "Midnight Tides" by Steven Erikson
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Into thin air

One of those books I always wanted to read but never remembered to buy/download. Very good thus far.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

I started Birthright and I'm in about 8 chapters and you have me hooked. I'm always a sucker for long lost alien civilizations stories with artifacts.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I recently re-read the entire Honor Harrington series, new book due in November.  I also re-read Empire of Man series, and the Citadel series.  Ringo posted a screen-shot of his computer with the manuscript for The Ringing Deeps sequel to the Citadel series the other day.

I also read all of Marko Kloos Terms of Enlistment series, the newest Destroyermen by Taylor Anderson, Death's Bright Day by David Drake, Fear God and Dread Naught by Christopher Nuttall (Ark Royal Vanguard series #2), and looking forward to the Kildara/Ghost crossover with Black Tide Rising, MHI:Grunge books as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Barry and 'the boys' by Daniel Hopsicker.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Just finished reading Lions of Kandahar

If you haven't read this, it is definitely one to add to you collection. Great memoir from the Afgahnistan war.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm now slogging through Crossroads of Twilight Book 10 of the Wheel of Time series. Jeez is this ever gonna end?  I took a 6 month vacation from book 9 but fiiiiiinally finished it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:38:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BakerMike] [#46]
Currently working on:

Learning Python by Mark Lutz - 34% - it's a python textbook, dull as a doornail but thorough

Crux by Namez Raam - 39% - second in the Nexus series - the action is starting to draw me in - Nexus was really good, waiting for this one to grab me the way the first one did. It has an irritating tendency to slough off into low-rent erotica whenever characters have sex, though. EDITED TO ADD: Just finished this. The bad sexy stuff (I'm mentioning it too much already - the sex in the Nexus series is bad in the same way that the sex in Neuromancer is bad) receded, the action got really good, lots of twists and turns, lots of good thriller stuff. Hit a few parts that reminded me of Red Storm Rising in a good way. An irritatingly large number of typos and errors were in the back half of the kindle version, though, and that kind of thing irritates the heck out of me. 4 out of 5 stars. Might revise to a recommendable 3 stars, depending on how the rest of the year's reading goes.

The Spire by William Golding - 28% (beginning of Chapter 4) - no strong opinions so far, reading this one for a book club with a friend. It's drawing me in to the world of this nutcase narrator, but I'm not feeling it yet; I loathe the narrator too much for being impractical and unfeeling.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:49:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By strider98:
Just finishing up 13 Hours. Damn.
View Quote

pissed ya off and saddened you at the same time didn't it?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Finished Atlas Shrugged, the first 6 books of the Bosch series, and the first Jack Ryan book by Clancy. Currently continuing the Jack Ryan books and the Bosch series books.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:31:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I've finished Footfall and The Mote in God's Eye recently. The Mote was fantastic! I'm working on The Gripping Hand now. Footfall was really good as well but took longer for me to get into.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By I_Ware:
I've finished Footfall and The Mote in God's Eye recently. The Mote was fantastic! I'm working on The Gripping Hand now. Footfall was really good as well but took longer for me to get into.
View Quote

Awesome, I love it when people read classic sci-fi and enjoy it. Niven and Pournelle are probably my favorite writers.

Finishing rereading the first 5 Monster Hunter novels now that MH Grunge comes out today. Already have it downloaded on my Kindle
Page / 64
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top