Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Power wash it and spray paint. Shouldn’t be a problem if kept in a garage. It’s the pinch welds where I’d be worried about it as the salt gets in there and shit will rust from the back side like the box on my Silverado. 2011 80k miles and wheel wells are rusted and a front fender. I think GM saved money on body panels for my generation of 2500HD and they rust like the 1500s do.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#2]
That is fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]

That looks like 2-3 winters at most.  It's the number of winters, minus a winter or two for fluidfilm/LPS#3 that rust out cars, not miles.  

Driving 1k or 20k a year have essentially no bearing on it. A family member just scrapped a 2006 with <100k miles after the rear suspension mounts started ripping through the body.

You could fix most of that in an afternoon with a wire wheel and POR-15 if you wanted.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks pretty good to me
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Lol… guess I live on a different planet being in the rust belt.

I’m guessing if your worried about it I would walk away because it won’t stop bugging you, but in Ohio that would be very acceptable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Love all the people from the Rust Belt saying that’s nothing!

Rust never sleeps.

I would have never even looked at anything from up north. You guys can keep your rust buckets.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ske714:
That's not rust.  It's patina.  Every car gets that.
View Quote

None of my cars had that on it and I owned them for years.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 2sledgehammers:
I would have never even looked at anything from up north. You guys can keep your rust buckets.
View Quote

It's funny that people keep thinking the all of the north is the rust belt.

I live further north than 50% of Canadians and our cars don't rust. My 26 year old pickup with 270k has zero rust. Once you go east of Montana, all bets are off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:02:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: heavy260] [#9]

Rust never sleeps.

View Quote

That’s my biggest complaint about living here. Cars don’t last like they should. Carmakers don’t give a shit because they sell more cars.

The mentality in the rust belt for the winter is that you should always be able to drive the speed limit and make it to work at 3am in the middle of a blizzard because the work needs to get done no matter what. Nothing should stop or slowdown. It’s old anymore. People are such wussies now that any forecast for snow and panic sets in, salt trucks are filled and brine trucks go out 24-36 hours in advance and coat the highways and interstates. Our city salt shed is still full because we didn’t get winter here but they sure filled the trucks for even a trace of forecasted snow and then spend 4 hours dumping the salt back out and vibrating the dumps. The salt shed is 2 blocks away from my house so I hear and see them dumping the salt back into the shed. Then they leave the street covered in salt because they’re too lazy to broom it into the shed. When I say covered in salt I mean covered in salt. It’s a large amount.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Normal to me
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Rust never sleeps.

View Quote

Yup… it will keep going.

A 40,000 mile car never driven in the salt won’t have any of that rust.

Yeah, for a northern car it is good…
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#12]
That is nothing for a car where they salt.

If you want to keep it power wash it.  Brush or scrape any loose rust.  Fluid film or Woolwax it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#13]
totaled by NM standards.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:20:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: poncho455] [#14]
Just FYI for those who care, the term "rust belt" has nothing to do with where they salt the roads in the winter. Not trying to be a smart-ass.

"The Rust Belt is a colloquial term used to describe the geographic region stretching from New York through the Midwest that was once dominated by the coal industry, steel production, and manufacturing. The Rust Belt became an industrial hub due to its proximity to the Great Lakes, canals, and rivers, which allowed companies to access raw materials and ship out finished products.

The region received the name “Rust Belt” in the late 1970s, after a sharp decline in industrial work left many factories abandoned and desolate, causing increased rust from exposure to the elements. It is also referred to as the Manufacturing Belt and the Factory Belt."
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By poncho455:
Just FYI for those who care, the term "rust belt" has nothing to do with where they salt the roads in the winter.
View Quote

You're right, I always mix up salt belt and rust belt.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By heavy260:

That’s my biggest complaint about living here. Cars don’t last like they should. Carmakers don’t give a shit because they sell more cars.

The mentality in the rust belt for the winter is that you should always be able to drive the speed limit and make it to work at 3am in the middle of a blizzard because the work needs to get done no matter what. Nothing should stop or slowdown. It’s old anymore. People are such wussies now that any forecast for snow and panic sets in, salt trucks are filled and brine trucks go out 24-36 hours in advance and coat the highways and interstates. Our city salt shed is still full because we didn’t get winter here but they sure filled the trucks for even a trace of forecasted snow and then spend 4 hours dumping the salt back out and vibrating the dumps. The salt shed is 2 blocks away from my house so I hear and see them dumping the salt back into the shed. Then they leave the street covered in salt because they’re too lazy to broom it into the shed. When I say covered in salt I mean covered in salt. It’s a large amount.

View Quote

My paved road sounds and feels like you’re driving on a gravel road due to all the salt if there is even a forecast of snow.

As for the Op, for a northern car, that doesn’t look bad for age and miles. But if it’s a forever car or if it’s going to constantly bug you, I’d send it back and find a southern one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I wish I could find a car that clean.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By BOSN1AC:
I picked up a car with some underbody rust. See photos below.

It’s got 40k miles on it. I still have a chance to return it. Planning on taking it to the shop in two days, but I figured I ask here who may have had more experience with such conditions.

Edit: Not Montana, 1 owner from Wisconsin . Sorry. I misread the carfax.

https://i.ibb.co/kycPb1k/IMG-1796.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/5WJTHPb/IMG-1795.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/7XN4HJr/IMG-1797.jpg

Can it be cleaned up and not worry about it in the Georgia climate moving forward?
View Quote

I'm going to take a different tack. Are you going to mod the car? Particularly the suspension? If you do, you will find out the hard way what the difference is between true "surface rust" and northern salt-induced rust. You will find a lot of bolts/nuts that either snap off or strip. If you're just going to drive the car, it will be (mostly) fine as others have said, but there will be nooks and crannies where rust will start to progress faster than it would have on any Southern car. This will start to show up in 10 years, perhaps less. How long do you plan to keep it?

I recently did some work on a friend's 2010 Jeep JKU that was a Northern car. Had to remove one of the skid plates, 4 bolts. Rust didn't look too bad. Soaked all of them down with PB Blaster a day prior. One came out hard. Two snapped off. The last one ripped the sheet metal out that its nut was welded to, because rust was all that was holding the sheet metal in place. Gave him the Jeep back, he took it to a shop, they took one look and said "fugeddaboutit", and he promptly got rid of it on a trade.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top