Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2024 9:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune]
I've found that one of my credit unions has a really handy piece of software available that tracks transactions and balances across accounts.  It also interacts nicely with a bunch of my other accounts from mortgage, retirement, credit cards, etc.  Whatever database they have on the back side that categorizes the transactions seems to work really well.

I've been trying to track down the software, where it comes from, and if possible, is it able to be self hosted.  I would like to be able to use this software without having it tied to my own bank accounts and logging into their account or app.  So far, all I'm seeing is there are a bunch of online banks who use this software, but only make it available to their members.

Hoping somebody here recognizes the software and knows what the source is.  And ultimately, is it something I can run off my own server?

Here are a couple of the different banks I've found that have it.
https://mymagnifi.org/online/personal-financial-management.html
https://www.bannerbank.com/personal/personal-online-banking/personal-financial-management

I'm thinking these may be backed by MX.  They have a bunch of docs and source code available on github.  But so far what i'm seeing is they are trying to sell their product to banks.  Not seeing the individual user stuff.  https://www.mx.com/products/personal-financial-management/
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
There's an open source alternative to Quick Books.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Self-hosted? GnuCash is what you seek. It's not flashy, but it is as simple or as powerful as you want it to be. Well supported with a large and very active online community. It's free, open source, and under active development.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
Self-hosted? GnuCash is what you seek. It's not flashy, but it is as simple or as powerful as you want it to be. Well supported with a large and very active online community. It's free, open source, and under active development.

View Quote

That's what I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:37:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#4]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:

View Quote

Does that one support automatic syncing from the accounts?  Thats one of the nice things about the one i'm looking for.  It supports logging into the banks, knowing what category each account is (checking, savings, retirement, credit card, mortgage, etc).  And then it does a fairly decent job categorizing transactions it sees in the accounts vithout user interaction.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Does that one support automatic syncing from the accounts?  Thats one of the nice things about the one i'm looking for.  It supports logging into the banks, knowing what category each account is (checking, savings, retirement, credit card, mortgage, etc).  And then it does a fairly decent job categorizing transactions it sees in the accounts vithout user interaction.
View Quote

This is the one area that GnuCash does not perform well. This is because either the bank wants you using their system and/or because Quicken has got what remains of the US home finance market sewn up with the banks. What capabilities GnuCash has for making electronic connections to financial institutions tends to be very obscure.

I use GnuCash with two bank accounts and two credit cards accounts. When I sit down to do financial stuff once a month I have to go to three websites and download statements in .csv format manually, then manually import them into GnuCash. After that things work very much automatically. You can perform automatic reconciliation if you enter things manually, or you can just trust your financial institution. The first two or three months are a bit of a chore because you have to do a lot of manual account assignment for each transaction. However, after a couple of months or so GnuCash will do a very good job of automatically classifying what accounts (e.g. auto, dining, utilities, etc.) any transaction goes against and you wind up with very little in the way of manual operations except for downloading and importing those file every month.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top