Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2024 10:15:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: saigamanTX]
This is a subject I've found to be one that gets contested a lot. When it comes to self defense or defending one's family and you might be in a situation where you kill the attacker under the law if its clear cut self defense you are innocent but one of the ten commandments is thou shalt not kill..

If it came down to it and I had to make that decision to protect my loved ones I would do it and and then pray about it and ask for forgiveness for taking a life even in defense of my family.

But I'm curious where this subject comes to with others.  Please chime in.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:26:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tech-Com] [#1]
Consider these two translations

If you are KJV then you can do no violence to any man.

KJV
And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

NKJV
Likewise the soldiers asked him, saying, "And what shall we do?" So he said to them, "Do not intimidate anyone or accuse falsely, and be content with your wages."

Meanwhile virtually all other translations besides KJV indicate the soldiers were shaking down(the Greek word KJV translated into violence) the population by extortion because they were discontent with their pay. So Jesus was telling them to do their job honestly and with contentment. No deep moral lesson about warfare, murder, killing etc was given to these trained killers when they inquired.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
How you think about this depends on whether you are Jewish or Christian. Which are you?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
A more accurate translation is not to commit murder, which is different than simply killing.  

Another one is actually about kidnapping women but I don't remember the details now.

With differences in cultures, mores, languages and time, things can get very misconstrued.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#5]
There is a huge difference between premeditated murder VS self defense - defending the innocent or defending your country in war.

Cane killed Able -  premeditated murder. (Bad) Genesis 4:8
David killed Goliath in war - (Hero.) 1Samuel 17:49

The difference is the intent of the heart. Self Defense killing has no criminal intent,  it is a response to criminal violence the intent is protecting your life or the life of an innocent third person.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
1 Timothy 5:8 - Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Read it in context. This applies. As the man of the house you are to provide for your own, in every way / shape / form / fashion. Why would God require you to stand by and watch an evil person kill your family? He wouldn't, but some people won't because of cowardice.

What do your friends think of military service, where if you are in combat arms, you could very well need to kill someone? Are your friends pacifists?

Defend away with a clear conscience before God.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Poor translation.  The commandment is Thou Shalt not Murder.  Big difference.

In biblical Hebrew, as in English, killing (harag) and murder (ratzah) are two different words with two very different moral connotations, and the commandment uses the Hebrew word ratzah, which means that the proper translation of the commandment from Hebrew into English is, "Thou shalt not murder." The difference is crucial.
View Quote
This is always the interpretation I've used.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:15:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, the commandment originally said murder, not kill.

Nehemiah 4:18.

What do you think their swords were for?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:00:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Very good points all around  
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:01:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
How you think about this depends on whether you are Jewish or Christian. Which are you?
View Quote
Well I'd be considered Christian.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:30:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#11]
When you read, "Thou shalt not kill" or "Thou shalt not murder" don't think only in terms of the earthly life.  This does not condemn self defense or defense of ones family or even country.  "Kill" is a very heavy word in this context.  

I've had to confess the killing of my mother in my mind (not in the sense of physically murdering her), I kill her spiritually out of resentment and anger, my stubbornness to forgive.  I cause her great harm out of this which causes myself and Christ harm.

A good example is the death penalty.  The death penalty is right and just in the eyes of God, if done justly and in His name.  A Godless country has no right to wield the sword against a man.  In the case of a Godly society and Godly court, the death penalty while meant to end the earthly life of a man and do justice for society, is intended to save the soul of the man.  A man is given a definite end, a tangible end of life, for the purpose of leading him to repentance and forgiveness, in an attempt to save his heavenly life.  

There are endless biblical examples of righteous killing, the killing of Gods enemies.

Then there is the ultimate proof, God has ended the earthly life of men, women, and children.  The flood, the plague, enemies of Israel, Sodom and Gomorrah, etc.  God can not contradict Good or Truth because He IS Good and Truth, He can not break His own commandments.

Killing in the True name of God, is not only permitted, but righteous.

Now on the flip side, if for example I killed a man in self defense while I was committing a sin that led to his attack of me, let's say burglarizing his home, I would not be justified.

If I were a Judge and sentenced a man to death for failing to uphold the gospel of the skittles mafia, that penalty of death would not be just.  Not only would I be in violation of the commandment, but so would the executioner and anyone else complicit in the societal culture that killed that man for blaspheming their religion of wokeness.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Poor translation.  The commandment is Thou Shalt not Murder.  Big difference.

In biblical Hebrew, as in English, killing (harag) and murder (ratzah) are two different words with two very different moral connotations, and the commandment uses the Hebrew word ratzah, which means that the proper translation of the commandment from Hebrew into English is, “Thou shalt not murder.” The difference is crucial.
View Quote

/thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top